[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qtg/ - Quest Thread General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 44

File: Help.jpg (46KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Help.jpg
46KB, 800x800px
This is a thread created for the "discussion" of Quest threads.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/u5xPbk6w (embed)
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities. You will also never read it.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics, and politics.)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, but shitposting is a bannable (but encouraged) offense) https://discord.gg/pXfcXZJ

http://qst.wikia.com
This abomination of a wiki gives brief summations of quests and QMs as well as quest culture in general. Additions are encouraged. Not that you will ever contribute, as you well shouldn't.

Archive of quest reviews (if you find a review that is not on the list, please link it in the thread. Not that you will, nor will any reviews ever be posted.):
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive

>QM Question
What writing do you take inspiration from?

>Player Question
Has a plot twist ever taken you completely by surprise? If so, did you like it?
>>
I love you Quest Drone <3
>>
I still can't believe there are no elder scrolls quests
>>
>>1602627
ded thred: the board
>>
>>1602805
Not today, Zerg!

Black Company Quest will be running, hopefully throughout the weekend as well. The Big One begins.

>>1602845
>>1602845
>>1602845
>>
>>1602730
have you considered running one?
>if you do do one: 3e, house wars.
>>
>>1602730
Banished but the QM dropped it just before getting to Morrowind's bad end.
>>
Has anyone used a table top system for a quest before? I was thinking about learning gurps for a quest but I don't want to make things over complicated.

What kind of system do you use?
>>
>>1603266
I use GM fiat. There's character info to show what someone is good at but I wanted the flexiblity of deciding on the fly how many updates to make stuff take.
>>
>>1603266
there are a lot of people who have tried to adapt them, but the closer to the original it is, the more likely the QM flakes out as they realize just how much work they've made for themselves.
>>
>>1603266
Complicated is fun, and will attract you a large following assuming you're half decent at writing.

But you'll flake out like every other ambitious QM so why bother wasting anyones time?
>>
>>1603266
I modified (well, heavily streamlined) some New World of Darkness for some of mine, trying to ease use for anon and keep things tight and speedy.
>>
Will Metal Gear Man save the Art of Compromise?
>>
>>1603266
Plenty of people run Game of Thrones games straight out of the rulebook. It actually works pretty well in this format.
>>
File: IMG_0201.gif (692KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.gif
692KB, 500x281px
>>1602627
>>QM Question
>What writing do you take inspiration from?
I'm assuming you mean other quests, in which case:
Kato's Tuffle Quest, Som's current DB quest, Chuckles' SMQ, and Eail's SAQ
>>
>>1604056
ran*
>>
>>
I would throw everyone in this thread into a volcano if it meant returning Crusty back to life for a day
>>
>>1604593
not you if you can't bench 550
>>
>>1604593
>for a day
why not just sacrifice /tg/ for him to be back until he dies of old age, or HMQ ends properly?
>>
>>1604593
Same but JQOP.

The worst part is he ran a few thread back in March, giving some hope. And then went back into hibernation.
>>
>>1602627
>QM Question
Lots and lots of Star Carrier. It honestly feels more like an overt ripoff sometimes. I take a lot of direction from the series to determine how a lot of the technology in the setting works, and I hold it as the gold standard of alien biodiversity and creative biology. It's a standard I strive for but fall short of. I also take a bit of inspiration from John Scalzi and Stephen Baxter, although I feel that those inspirations are not from any conscious effort on my part but I tend to see thematic similarities when I look back on my writing.

>>1604331
I thought he meant books and the like, but if we're talking about other quests, then AI Quest all the way.

>Player Question
A good plot twist should be the kind of thing that is obvious in retrospect. Sadly, most of the quests I follow tend to die too early to get to any major plot twist payoff. The biggest I can remember would be Shadow Quest, but only because the shitstorm it caused spilled over into my thread a few times. I've always been a sucker for the old "secretly a sci-fi setting" schtick. I've actually been planning on making one for a future campaign for my game group just to mess with a friend of mine who doesn't like sci-fi for the most petty and arbitrary reasons by making a super high-fantasy campaign and then pulling a Jack 3 with an alien invasion disguised as an eldritch armageddon up to the moment where giant robot walkers are stomping around shooting laser beams everywhere only for them to realize maybe halfway through that it's not actually a Tarrasque sized golem but a ripoff AT-AT.
>>
>>1603266
There were a lot of [Tactics] games a while ago, before the split from /tg/. The split killed them, though you see them sometimes popping up.

Last one was... Bastard's Boars? Last thread a month ago.
>>
>>1582496
>>1582496
Panzer Commander Quest is running for the weekend. Come and join for stupid shit and suicide missions, possible both intermingled with one another.
>>
>>1604875
yeah, skirmish games are a thing, but players are very entitled for those, it's not much fun after a while. It's the most time intensive form of qst imaginable, and the one where you get the most trash thrown at you
>>
And my second series is up! Come on down and check it out!

>>1604914
>>1604914
>>1604914
>>
Hey, just a quick question. I'll be running my first quest in a few days, what's a good time to start running, where more people are active? I'm guessing most people here are from the US, so fuck timezones
>>
>>1604793
He does that all the time though, he'll be back eventually.
>>
>>1605309
>>1605309
>>1605309

Beleaguered Prince Quest is now live.
>>
>>1605010
Where ya from mate?

Better use world time from google and wait until it's around 4 in central US.
>>
File: qtg.jpg (205KB, 672x1000px) Image search: [Google]
qtg.jpg
205KB, 672x1000px
>>>/tg/53976130
>>
>>1606589
Why would you do this?
>>
File: BRQ Title Image.jpg (798KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BRQ Title Image.jpg
798KB, 1920x1080px
BRQ 12.5 is up and running!

>>1607036
>>1607036
>>1607036
>>
>>1606589
why would you do this you shitposting faggot?

none of us like this place but thats just giving people ammo,oh right thats why you did it.
>>
>>1605451
aight, that's all the info I needed, cheers
and I'm from germany
>>
>>1606589
at least you tried.
>>
>>1605187
That doesn't make it any more to fun to sit around desperately checking his twitter every day.
>>
File: qstbanner_improved.png (98KB, 786x305px) Image search: [Google]
qstbanner_improved.png
98KB, 786x305px
>>
>>1604875
They were always rare, even back on /tg. Occasionally a QM might get a campaign going and you'd see a reoccurring game. But they would always collapse in the end. Either the system would get bloated or the players would become too numerous/salty.

>>1604924
Yeah skirmish games are a pain to run. They require the most content in terms of art, they strain the QM with turn processing and player management is harder than a standard quest.

People still run em because it's just really fun to design a system. That glow wears out fast though.
>>
>>1604793

Don't worry, I'm still about. However, there's a lot of turbulence in my life recently, and I'm been coming home as late as 1 AM. Usually I just collapse into bed.
>>
ded board

Just let quests die
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 960x640px
>>1608121
>1 post by this ID
>>
Explain to me like I'm fucking stupid why qst needs tg to survive. Like, is it just player numbers? People seem to have fun as is. Why people so salty?

Why don't all the people who say quest is a containment board of failure just try to like . . . post and run games? Fix it?

I really don't understand . . .
>>
>>1608130
>Explain to me like I'm fucking stupid why qst needs tg to survive.

crossboarders bring fresh ideas and concepts to run quests in a manner similar to cross pollination, there just isn't that incentive to come to /qst/ if you aren't already invested in one so attrition takes its toll on anything that isn't run by super dedicated people or NEETS

>Why don't all the people who say quest is a containment board of failure just try to like . . . post and run games?

Don't deny what this board is, it's a ghetto for something autistic anons bitched and moaned at the mods for.

>Fix it?
When there was discussion for it people had ideas, however their are no mods (if we even have them at all) who give an actual fuck about improving the quality of life for the board, again this reinforces the idea of /qst/ as a ghetto
>>
>>1608154
>no mods
Bruh, we don't need mods to improve the board. Sure, there is some nasty cancer shit on here, but in this case we fight cancer with quality.

I'm a cross-poster from another board. A recent /qst/ immigrant, so I never had to pleasure of /t/g quest. I think We can really get some fun shit going. What exactly do we need to do?

Also, why is there not a questing/forum games subreddit? Just seems like a weird oversight.
>>
>>1608161
>don't need mods
Can't remove bait threads with quality because the board is too slow.
>>
>>1608172
Well then, how 2 get mods? Do we write our senator? Petition the sector moff? Cyberstalk Moot?
>>
File: IMG_8230.jpg (77KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8230.jpg
77KB, 1200x675px
>>1608125
>1 post by this ID

Anon..?
>>
>>1608130
>>1608187
the easiest way to get shit done at this point is if someone goes up the 4chan social ladder.

apply for janitor
do an alright job in boards people don't want to touch (qst or otherwise)
get promoted to mod status by sucking up the the right big names
volunteer to do some PR damage control for qst, with the explicit promise that it won't EVER bleed into other boards
get a list of real changes to propose, stuff that's literally changing a couple of settings that won't increase website burden significantly
pass it through to the admins

technically speaking, it would easier to start on some budding subreddit and do a good job there for credentials, too.
Getting a feel for the premium community to see what would get actual payers to care about qst wouldn't be bad either.

Now what kind of madman cares about qst to go through all that trouble for ONLY qst?
>>
File: 4L_7CccfCNr.jpg (39KB, 498x441px) Image search: [Google]
4L_7CccfCNr.jpg
39KB, 498x441px
>>1609104
>subreddit
>>
File: 16.2.png (841KB, 1600x678px) Image search: [Google]
16.2.png
841KB, 1600x678px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/30-A-hero-should-only-be-one/XFMpzuaivwm87CH6K
Azi-Dahaka
>>
so what is the top 10 quest threads here in your opinion?
>>
>>1609390
>implying anybody even reads that many quests

Better luck with top 3, or maybe 5.
>>
>>1609486
then top 3?
>>
>>1609562
>>1609562
Death Among the Stars Quest 78 is up!
>>
>>1608154
Less Ghetto and more failed experiment. Mods were genuinely excited about starting this until the flaws in the idea where pointed out and that the 5 /tg/ people who complained about quests were weird
>>
>>1609549
1) Frontier Knight
2) Star Caller
3) Beleaguered Prince (though I haven't been keeping up with this one)

Other: XCOM Trooper shows promise but I've learnt not to get committed to following a quest until at least 5 threads in. Once it gets to that mark, popular or not the QM is showing some dedication to carry on.

That said, I never have the time to actually participate in these quests. I read up on them in the archives.
>>
>>1609549
Hive Queen Quest
Starcaller
Gorgon Child
>>
>>1609549
Top three ever?
Hellborn Quest
Homeless Mutant Quest
REMonster EX Quest

Top three running now?
Nothing really.
They were all cancelled/abandoned
>>
>>1609865
>Less Ghetto and more failed experiment. Mods were genuinely excited about starting

Haha what a load of bullshit
>>
>>1609549
1.Crusader quest
2.House Malory quest
3.Three kingdoms quest

I suppose I'm a ghost of quests past at this point
>>
>>1610153
>I'm a ghost of quests past
Aren't we all.
>>
File: IMG_8018.gif (1MB, 300x191px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8018.gif
1MB, 300x191px
>>1609549
Anything from 2012-2014 take your pick.

Current quests? Multi civ games seem popular. Though I haven't seen many high quality quests being produced recently, any know if people decided to migrate to Akun or something? I haven't been for a couple of months. Did I miss anything?
>>
>>1610552
>akun
>high quality

No. The ratio of cream to chaff is the same, if not worse.
>>
>>1610552
Wrong pic but that's fine.
>>
I want to write a dumb quest that feels like Kamen Rider. Is that so wrong?
>>
>>1611327
Do eet.

_______

Anyway...
I have an idea for a noir private investigator quest, but it hinges pretty heavily on having accompanying arts to go with the written bits. I have zero artistic talent and it would be pretty easy for me to bite off more than I could chew and allow my vision to outrun my capabilities.

At the same time, it might force me to get gud and innovate in order to make the visuals look halfway decent.

Any advice?
>>
>>1609362
it's easier to find a new subreddit than it is a new 4chan board. That's all, I don't really care about 4chan vs reddit shit.
>>
>>1609390
covering as wide a variety as I care about

Sleeping Gods
Deniable Assets
Maverick Hunter
Broken Sky Online
Lessons in Knighthood
Northern Beasts
Oversized Weapon
Hyperdimensional Dwarf Fortress
Hive Queen
Beleaguered Prince
>>
>>1611566

Bushpeople quest is live!
>>
>>1611583
>I have zero artistic talent

That has never stopped anybody.
>>
>>1611583
how much art are we talking about?
>>
>>1610153
>three kingdom

Which one?

Lubufag or solofag?
>>
>>1611779
Lubufag was nice. Solofag was kinda generic, offbrand, RC Cola equivalent.
>>
>>1611780
Does anyone still have the assorted pics?

>DOnt chase lubu
chase him anyways. Almost becoming son in law
>>
>>1611610
When was Lessons of Knighthood ever here?
>>
>>1611922
qst? Never. I would hesitate to even do top 3 of qst, since I feel that 2 of them would originate from tg and moved here anyway.
>>
>>1611928
Do it anyways you fag enabler

If you've nothing to say about new blood why are you even still here, if there's really nothing even worth considering or talking about
>>
>>1611950
Old quests are still here. Don't need to acknowledge the new shit.
>>
>>1611983
Nah that's complete horseshit. There's old, then there's just listing off shit that was dead for months, even years, even before the containment even began.

Methinks anybody who honestly can't rate a top three out of quests currently running just hasn't bothered looking around. I never see any quests being specifically shat upon or ripped apart, just "oh there's nothing good anymore so I just CAN'T rate which ones are the best even out of this lot, not even based on quality just out of what's running." Nah, anybody who tries that line of logic can fuck right off. If you can't answer the question because you don't bother looking around then don't answer at all, don't pull this dickless whiny shit.

I run a shitty leftover from tg so I'm not even whining that nobody likes me. But if on one hand you have complaints that this is a dead board, and on the other you won't give the newfags the time of day, why are you even still here? Go to Akun and drown yourself in mind control and yuri smut.
>>
>>1612064

>WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

For someone bitching about dickless whining you seem to be a passive agressive dickless whiner.

Suck my dick faggot.
>>
>>1612077
no u

Run your quests for more than a day you shit cruncher
>>
>>1612085
I do.

Over an anonkun.
>>
>>1612064
I want to play a quest where I can mind control yuri smut into drowning itself. Should I wait or should I run the niche I seek?
>>
I've been trying to organize the lore of PoA and its world's history and thought that I might as well dump them here.
HEAVY spoiler ahead.

So, the universe itself is shaped in the form of an enormous "tree" and world lay on its branches. The branches are placed on a vertical scale and so many worlds are regarded as "higher" or "lower" in comparison the Middle world. Surrounding (this part is not clear) the "Ordered" reality of the Tree is the near-endless sea of Chaos that may on very rare occasions "leak" into the world on the branches.

The story mainly takes place and concerns three worlds:
The Abyss, a.k.a. Hell, the dwelling place of demons and the source of Hellfire that fuels them. Demons do not age, the higher demons are extremely powerful and often change the forms of their bodies, and their society is heavily reliant on the Hierarchy and Pacts they make between each other and the members of other planes.
The Heavens, the dwelling place of angels and the source of Light that fuels them. Angels do not age and are almost immortal — an angel who dies on another plane will resurrect on the Heavens after some time. For the longest time, the very concept of death was absolutely alien to angels.
The Middle world, the local version of the Earth. Possesses a very rich history, home to a great number of races such as humans, dwarves, elves, orcs, etc.

The history of the western part of the Middle world (and the world itself, to an extent) can be roughly divided into eras:
The Era of the Ancients
The Era of Dragons
The Era of Ogres
The Era of Dwarves
The Era of Elves
The Era of Humans

Every new era ended in a near-extinction of the rulers of the previous one, and at the beginning of the story, the humans are the absolutely dominant force.

At one point, most probably during the Era of Ogres in the Middle world, the greatest angel of that time, driven by doubt, raises a rebellion against Light and his brethren's blind devotion to it. His is eventually defeated, but not before introducing, together with his comrades, the concept of death to the Heavens. The first angels in the history of the universe go to the Other Side with no chance of returning. Eventually, the angel and his comrades are defeated and cast down from the Heavens. The angel receives the names he is known by since then — the Outsider, the Left-Handed, the Traitor.

(To be continued)
>>
>>1612216
The Outsiders decides that he ain't need no Heavens and wants to find a new world to call his own. He descends to the Abyss that is, at the time, ruled by the King of Hell, it being the continuation of his mind and his will. The Outsider demands that the King gives him Hell, but the King just laughs in his face and is slain by the Outsider, for there is no one in the universe better at the craft of bringing death than him. However, despite all of his power, the Outsider cannot accept into himself the Abyss that is the sum of all who dwell in it. He is overwhelmed and forced to flee to the world of Darkness, a lifeless and uninhabited plane where he eventually settles. He and his companions receive the name of Dark angels due to the changed source of power and colour fo their wings.

The death of the King brings disruption into the Abyss, and it starts to fall apart, for no demon is able to accomplish the feat of accepting the whole of the Abyss either. As the last ditch effort, the nine most powerful demons agree to divide Hell into nine Circles, each ruling their own. It works, and thus the new world order is set in the Abyss and the nine demons are now called the Nine Lords.
Soon, the weakest of the Lords, Lilith, gives birth to an enormous army, a whole new subspecies of demons — the lilim. She attempts to take over the Abyss, and the resulting confrontation with the rest of the Lords later receives the name of the War of the Black Moon. We don't know many details about the war, but Lilith is eventually defeated, the lilim are almost driven to extinction, and Lilith herself is sealed in her now empty Circle, Limbo, stripped of powers and any chance of getting out. Astaroth and Astarte, the Twin-Lord of the Seventh Circle, receive the patronage over the First Circle, now Lilith's prison.

During the war in the Heavens, a few of the angels led by one named Azazel remain neutral, spending their time in the Middle and other worlds, teaching mortal and not-so-mortal races the many crafts and skills they possess, including magic. This jumpstarts the progress of the progressions of those races and the development and a great many cultures and civilizations. However, the Heavens see they neutrality and refusal to fight the Outsider as betrayal and their teachings blasphemous to Light. Azazel and his followers are exiled, and he receives the greatest punishment applicable to angels at that time — he is deprived of his wings and most of his powers, now a mere shadow of his former self.

(to be continued)
>>
>>1612242
Azazel's efforts, however, are not in vain. Some time later, the humans build the greatest civilization the Middle world has ever known — the Empire of the Dragon Lords. It Completely overwhelms all of its competition, builds strong ties with other planes of existence, the Abyss in particular, so far so that the Empire's mages make Pacts on equal terms with demons and the Lords visit the capital of the Empire and admire its architecture and the achievements of the Empire's culture and sciences. Azazel himself is clearly proud of humans and the results of his teachings and speaks warmly of the Empire and its capital.

Said capital is constructed on island Avalon, the most magically active place in the Middle world, the crossing point of a great many leylines. However, having been mostly separated from the rest of the world, the island is still mostly ruled by the Ancients — the mindless enormous beasts. To combat them and prepare the island for constructions, the Empire creates Mothers of Monsters — magical creatures who in their stead give birth to highly specialized species mean to combat the Ancients in various environments. Harpies to tear them apart in the sky, centaurs to hunt them in the steppe, mermaids to bleed them in the sea, and many others. The monsterfolk eventually successfully exterminate most of the Ancients and are allowed to remain living on the island as gratitude for their service.

However, having subdued or allied themselves with most everyone they could reach, the Dragon Lords now turn their gazes to the Heavens — the most secluded and unreachable of the Worlds of the Tree. They begin the construction of the Golden Gates — the pinnacle of their magical science, the enormous portal that would be able to connect the Middle plane to the Heavens and allow for two-way travel between them. Terrified of the perspectives, the angels try to stop the humans, but the Empire is way too powerful for them to confront. Desperate, they tear apart the fabric of reality itself and let Chaos pour onto the streets of the capital, distorting the very space and time. The reality rupture and the leaking Chaos threaten to flood the rest of the world and bring it to ruin. The Empire's mages sacrifice their lives, their blood, and their very souls to create a magical barrier in the form of a giant wall, stopping the Distortion, containing it within the borders of the capital. Before perishing, they task the surviving monsterfolk with watching after the barrier and keeping anything from escaping it.

Eventually, of the course of centuries, the memory about their former masters is lost in the generations, and the only remaining monsterfolk who still remember their duty are the lizard-people, led by Echidna, the last surviving Mother of Monsters.

(to be continued)
>>
>>1609486
Black Company
Fallout New Vegas
House and Dominion
Trawler Quest
Star Wars: Dark Empire
>>
Girls und Panzer: LGA2 is alive and well.

>>1612319
>>
>>1612298
Fast forward many centuries. The new human civilization, the United Kingdom, is ruled by King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. King Arthur's little daughter dreams of becoming a king like her father, but when she tells him about it, she is laughed at by her family and runs away to the palace garden in tears. There, she meets the Man in Black whom she tells about her troubles and who agrees to give her the means, knowledge, and power to become a ruler. She sacrifices something she holds dear, and the Man in Black becomes her teacher. The girl later becomes known as Morgause, the Necromantress. Azazel's pupil.

While many regard Arthur's rule as the "golden age" of the Kingdom, Morgause sees the many underlying problems and the brewing discontent in it. The Church is gaining power, the king doesn't pay enough attention to the domestic troubles. The princess starts to attract like-minded people, and they, in turn, attract aggressive opposition. Eventually, the tension results in an internecine war and the Battle at Camlann, where the loyalists and Morgause's supporters clash. As a result of the battle, a great many nobles and heroes of the Kingdom die, King Arthur is reportedly killed as well, but Morgause is defeated and forced to flee the Kingdom. She lands on Island Avalon, beginning to build her new Domain in the local small human realm.

Parallel to that, a human mage specializing in foresight, Hellawes, Morgause's very good friend and associate, falls head over hills for a young noble Bertran von Baskerville. She distances herself from politics and watches over Bertran's family home, enjoying the life with her husband. However, bring a magical scientist still and possessing ambitions no less grandiose than Morgause herself, Hellawes conducts experiments on herself and the children still in her womb, attempting to give them the ability to change fate itself. After the start of Morgause's mutiny but before Camlann, Pregnant with her seventh child, Hellawes appoints a meeting with Morgause. However, when the latter arrives, she finds her friend murdered in her own home. While it is too late for Hellawes, Morgause manages to bring the unborn baby back to life and converse with the soul of her deceased friend. Despite that, Morgause is later blamed for Hellawes' death by many. Bertran sides with king Arthur and plays a big role in the victory at Camlann.

Twenty years later, a young paladin of the Order of the Holy Light, the youngest of Bertran von Baskerville's children, Heinrich, is sent by the Order of the Holy Light to Island Avalon — the last spot of darkness in the world of the West. He is to bring down the vile Necromantress — Morgause de la Fay.
That's where the story of the Paladin of Avalon begins.
>>
wtf why is someone dumping worldbuild notes now i hate quests
>>
>>1612674
Dumping notes for an offside quest.
One that has been advertised to death here.
And I'd be surprised to find anyone whose interested in it who hasn't already bookmarked/liked/whatever'd it over on akun.
>>
Marvel Cape Quest, Issue #2 is now live and running!

>>1612719
>>1612719
>>1612719
>>
File: IMG_9387.jpg (71KB, 432x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9387.jpg
71KB, 432x667px
>>1612216
>>1612242
>>1612298
>>1612441

Mate post a pastebin with this in it. If someone wanted to read it then they would but this is kinda silly.

Anyways, what are some good sci fi quests? Been reading some like deniable assets and the sort. Pic related is something I've been working on, a sci fi setting. Kinda testing the resolution since I'm a phoneposting faggot.
>>
>>1612961

Yo Teen Titan Thread is back up!
>>
>>1613005
ManThor no don't steal players goddamn it please. You've got all the great DC waifus.
>>
Contemplating to run Great war quest today...I did say i will continue next month...
>>
>>1611950
I don't think the original requester was specifically looking for new blood.

Besides, some of the QMs of the top quests I listed still run here. I'm just pointing out that you've got nothing to lose by reading their old work.
>>
>>1613252

I wept for the great unfinished quests.

MINIII COME BAACK

Althought my fav was still Silencer quest. That had potential
>>
>>1612795
pandora is a good bit scifi, but more like 1 hour into the future, not likely to go into space settings.
>>
>>1612795
Hive Queen Quest, Xenomorph Quest, Starcaller, For House and Dominion, Death Among the Stars.
>>
File: 2.1.jpg (614KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
2.1.jpg
614KB, 890x890px
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/30-A-hero-should-only-be-one/XFMpzuaivwm87CH6K
Obedient living toys
>>
>>1612795
Yeah, I guess you're right, sorry. I was kinda finishing it up as I went and /qtg/'s a bit dead anyway, so I thought I might as well.

Anyway, an edited version of the lore summary can be found here if someone's still interested:
https://pastebin.com/XDhjxcbi
>>
File: bc7.png (61KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
bc7.png
61KB, 300x250px
>>1612301
>Star Wars: Dark Empire

Looks like it's in good company!
>>
File: Once In a Lifetime.jpg (30KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Once In a Lifetime.jpg
30KB, 1280x720px
AAAAAAAAAAHmerican Arcana is live.
>>1614379
>>
>>1613021
You got Captain Marv- o-oh....yeah I do don't I.

I want to avoid running against you because I like your thread damn it
>>
>>1611779
Lubufag obviously I didn't even know someone tried running another one
>>
So this Saturday, I plan on running a 12 hour + Quest Session of Dark Empire (maybe even more ike 16 hours long).

1: Am I crazy?
2: What's the best times to run between to maximize player count? I can't time math.

EST here for the record.
>>
Hey, just posted the first thread of Arcana Quest, if anyone cares.
>>1616109
>>
>>1615772
>Am I crazy?
not the craziest
>>
Want to be a fish?
>>1617204
>>
>>1617196
Least I got that going for me.

>>1617260
Bro, I am there.
>>
>>1614408
American Arcana is back in swing.
>>1614379
>>
I decided to try something different - I'm allowing my players to choose my next quest topic. I'll go into more detail if asked, twitter's char limit is cancer.
>>
>>1617565
Should probably add a link...
https://twitter.com/commissar_qm/status/879541457480056832
>>
New [prototype]:deviation thread on Wednesday, barring any personal come up.
>>
>>1617260
Yes, I want to be the first fish President of the United States of America!
>>
>>1612064
Hey man, I've been looking around the catalog on a semi-regular basis since the Exodus and I've been judging the new quests by the exact same standards I judged quests on /tg/. It's not my fault that they so rarely even raise themselves to the "Open the thread" level. Or should I lower my expectations just because we're on a shittier board?
>>
>>1617565
>>1617573
Nice to know people care. Come on, can I get more than 1 vote in 9 hours?
>>
>>1618215
twitter polls are usually more effective when you have a good idea of what the choices are.

For something like a quest premise, you're gonna need more than 3 words, especially for people who don't even know who you are.
>>
File: Drawing (16).png (155KB, 575x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Drawing (16).png
155KB, 575x1052px
Existence Quest is never coming back
>>
>>1618242
I tried, but 25 characters isn't a lot at all .
>>
>>1618058
Allow me to elaborate.

Keep in mind the original question was:
> so what is the top 10 quest threads here in your opinion?

You see, that's not "what were the best quests ever," nor was it "are quests better or worse." It was a request for a list of the highest quality out of what is active, right now.

This is an extremely simple question to answer. Perhaps not in the quantity originally asked for, hence my advise to pare it down, but when asked to pick three and limp dick faggots seriously say "nope, nothing!" I'm calling bull shit.

I'm not going to argue a vast amount of the catalog is chaff that even the OPs aren't intent on following for more than a few days, let alone for a full run of threads. However, I also find it completely ridiculous that people think that it's helpful in any way whatsoever to spout shit that so obviously is an indicator that they don't read anything. If somebody genuinely asked me "what are the best bars to go to around here" and I just said "eh, all the good bars have been closed for forever" I would just look like an asshole who either doesn't actually know anything about the local businesses, or somebody willfully dodging the question in order to bitch and moan (contrary to bitching and moaning while answering the question; ie giving a list but dismissing them all as crap compared to X anyways). Either way I'm not giving the answer desired at all.
>>
>>1618355
Thank you.

I've said it before, bitching and moaning about Quest being dead is a waste of time and brainpower. Prove there is something worth saving, run a quality quest, play one. Reward QMs who display creativity and skill.

There's like, maybe a half dozen people who lurk and complain about the good old days and to me, they are the biggest cancer on quest. Inactivity and acceptance breeds failure.
>>
File: smug renne.png (72KB, 214x227px) Image search: [Google]
smug renne.png
72KB, 214x227px
>>1618427
>Reward QMs who display creativity and skill.
>>
I've always liked the idea of one-shot quests: complete story that finishes in the course of one thread, then it's over. Maybe do a sequel with the same character later, maybe not, but it's not an implied commitment.

Is this something that anyone else likes the idea of, or is it anathema to what a lot of people read quests for?

Also, any rough estimate for about how many decision points would be about right for something like this?
>>
>>1618531
I like the idea, my problem is this:

Each round, say you spend ten minutes voting and ten minutes writing, which is very generoua, usually takes me 15-15, then that's 20 minutes per "turn."

If you play for six straight hours at that rate, that's about 18 turns. That's not a lot of time to get up to trouble. Something like a car chase, gun battle, tense negotiations or any other drawn out contest could take 5+ of those turns.

I'm sure it's doable, but it would need a special QM.
>>
>>1617260
I'm awake, we're back up and running.
>>1618572
>>
>>1618565
I had two thoughts along that line:

1) No drawn out contests period. Simple resolution system, one roll resolves anything that needs to be rolled for.

2) Maybe run it over a couple of days? Like one thread, but play for a couple hours 3 days in a row or something to finish it.

Which kind of answers what I was getting at with the other question: I asked because when I run roleplaying games in real life, I like to keep an eye on the clock in terms of pacing. Like it's been 2 hours, we need to be about halfway done by now. If the plan was to take 3 days to run something from the start, that could serve as a similar timer.
>>
>>1618565
>18 turns. That's not a lot of time to get up to trouble

Side note: this is something that always frustrates me with new quests that start up and then fizzle out before going anywhere. They play for a dozen or so turns, have a vaguely interesting concept, and nothing has happened yet. Then they vanish never to be seen again.
>>
So, more of a question of what to do with all this, but there is an abundance of Cape quests abound and was wondering if perhaps it would be better to save the current quest Idea I have for when some of them die out or just throw it up anyway.
>>
>>1618635
Run it now while popularity is hot. When the others inevitably die out you'll still be there (and probably referred to) to pick up the players who need their fix.
>>
>>1618638
Alright
>>
File: Space Marine firing.jpg (170KB, 937x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Space Marine firing.jpg
170KB, 937x1024px
Chapter Master Quest is up

>>1618862
>>1618862
>>1618862
>>
I'm going to try this as I should have, as a straw poll instead. Much more detail.

https://strawpoll.com/wfeysw4
>>
>>1618531
Surely you can find the oneshots in the archive? Oh, right, not a lot of oneshots on qst. Hmm. I can see why you would think that way.
>>
File: FBI.png (233KB, 444x458px) Image search: [Google]
FBI.png
233KB, 444x458px
I've returned, and if anyone from last night was a part of the first half of SRD Quest, I've posted the next part of it.
>>
>>1618502
Go away renne, I saw your bullshit coming a mile away.
>>
File: Title No. 10.jpg (122KB, 1024x639px) Image search: [Google]
Title No. 10.jpg
122KB, 1024x639px
>>1619056
>>1619056

Trawler Quest #10 is starting! Surprised this thing has made it this far.
>>
File: RbAJSAU.png (4MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
RbAJSAU.png
4MB, 1920x1440px
>>1619220
It's one of the most popular/successful quests running to date! Frankly, I'm a bit envious of your success! It's inspired me to be better.
>>
File: Hit Me Baby.png (33KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Hit Me Baby.png
33KB, 240x240px
>>1617400
American Arcana continuing from where we dropped off.
>>1614379
>>
>>1618988
Yeah, I'm seeing an obvious bias. Looks like the lich civ will win out, but I'll wait a few hours to see if Bio-genesis catches up and I'll write the OP's for both.
>>
>>1620059

um alright im gonna give this a whirl

join if you'd like
>>
File: BattleTanx-3.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BattleTanx-3.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
Soon
>>
[Prototype]: Deviation starts around 5:00 PM tonight. Now with more gore, conspiracy, active environmental hazards, and a QM itching to see how sidetracked he can get the players.
>>
>>1620491
Is that fucking Battletanx?
>>
>>1618427
To paraphrase Nick Fury:
"Until the /qst board actually dies we will act as if it will live on."
>>
>>1619220
Hey uh, I don't participate in your quest but the thread number 10 drawing alone drove me to ask - have you ever played a flash game series called Daymare Town? And if not, can you care to play it? It should provide an ample amount of inspiration given what little of your aesthetic I saw from just one image.
>>
>>1621539
>>1621539
Get in here, we're making Florida hell again.
>>1621539
>>1621539
[PROTOTYPE]: Deviation is back in full hammerfist swing.
>>
>>1621557
>Get in here, we're making Florida hell again
>again
>>
File: Drawing (18).png (99KB, 1055x572px) Image search: [Google]
Drawing (18).png
99KB, 1055x572px
Illustration for my upcoming quest

Rate it between todler and vegetable with down syndrome
>>
File: CharlieCompany.png (260KB, 673x304px) Image search: [Google]
CharlieCompany.png
260KB, 673x304px
>>1620647
Yes it's fucking battletanx, thinking on doing a story about playing as one of the gangs as they grow in power in the radioactive rubble of the post collapse US.
>>
this board sucks
>>
>>1621723
We just need more people.
>>
>>1621799
yea they'll show up one of these days
>>
>>1621719
4/10

Would consider acceptable for quest.

>>1621722
Fucking battletanx was my shit. Sign me up, I'll fight over ladies.

>>1621723
Oh look, THIS post again.
>>
File: Basic advice for new QMs.png (444KB, 2952x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Basic advice for new QMs.png
444KB, 2952x1066px
Welcome to this week's obituaries. I'll put my autism to work and give new QMs an idea of what to avoid.

>>1619904
Interesting concept fell flat due to unattractive presentation from the catalog. Filling the entire first section with 'Warning.' No options and expected answers within an hour. Pronounced dead.

>>1620854
Evolution game. Convoluted rules not stated all at once. The creatures were not mentioned to be any type just simple pictures. Single anon replied. Pronounced dead.

>>1618792
Risk game. Op was unprepared with materials needed. Pronounced dead.

>>1612139
Unsure. The op had no story or options just an archive link. Only discussion is of /qst/ & /tg/. Pronounced Dead.

>>1618581
Risk game. Op had little to no information. Stated there were rules but did not define them. Multiple anons replied within the hour, op fled. Pronounced dead.

>>1621444
Dubs simple low quality ms paint quest. Op posted for names and fled the scene. Pronounced dead.

>>1620889
Ms paint game. Op wanted quick replies and answers to a low quality thread. Impatient and committed suicide. Pronounced dead.

>>1622798
Civ(?) Quest. Op started with rules and not a hook making it unattractive in catalog. Op had no options until second dump which had too many and they were important ones. Ran into "Character Gen Death." Good premise but presentation and execution was poor. Pronounced dead.

>>1618527
Fanfic Fetish Quest. Go to >>/trash/. Unwelcome fetish quest. Pronounced dead.

>>1620059
Quality Draw Quest. A sad one but this one died from lack of presentation in catalog and lack of players. Had a really interesting idea but lack of options seemed to kill it + lack of fresh players and ideas for actions + op fell asleep. R.I.P. Pronounced probably still asleep.

>>1621229
Hitler/Nazi/Jew quest. Dead because lack of presentation and unattractive setting. Pronounced dead.

>>1618257
Quest. Interesting premise but mechanics did not flow well with the short and terse prose provided. Pronounced dead.

>>1609438
Quest. Good premise. Op posted twice. Had decent amount of players posting. Expected many for initial vote. Pronounced dead.

>>1616066
Civ Quest. Terse and simple. Lack of mechanics and options prose is not bad but not great. Expected players to think for themselves. Pronounced dead.

>>1611129
Quest. Interesting idea and weird. Dreaded write-ins. Expected players to think for themselves and expected to be quick in judgement. Pronounced dead.

>>1614784
Ms paint quest. Bad writing/grammar/art/presentation/write-in only/ take your pick. Pronounced dead.

>>1603758
A fucking book. Long initial read in an over saturated genre and posted external material for further reading. Okay prose had some interesting scenes. No fucking options and died. Pronounced dead. Wtf did he mean by this?

>>1602360
Draw Quest. Neat art but shit options. Pronounced dead.

>>1608869
Risk Quest. Wtf levels of options. Pronounced dead.
>>
>>1623733
Oh. I like this.

This was neat! Please do more.
>>
>>1624031
I'll try to do more once they crop up. Usually best if it's around every week probably on Friday since it is a slow(ish) board. Hopefully people read these and try to improve and if those who need a bit more informormation on a specific thread I'll go and do a more in-depth examination, or an autopsy if you will.
>>
>>1624204
>mortician
Kek
Just saw that.

I know it's encouraged me to make some adjustments to an upcoming quest. I'm not sure of It's better to open with falvor, or a brief synopsis.

Obviously something that's both is best, I'm not that clever.
>>
>>1624204
Just do Akun's quests in the meantime.
>>
>>1624450
It depends. Is it a series or a one off? Either one it should start with a hook only difference is that the series you put a synopsis for the op that tells the prospective players what's up and if they will like it or not. Hooks are what bring in players.

If it's not interesting then it's probably written wrong. If you can't make it interesting in the first post then it'll probably only get worse from there and players know that and will watch to see what the QM does.

The setting is also an important factor. Many settings are seasonal and tend to put off players f it's the wrong setting. Oversaturated settings tend to get players but you can run into the part where if a player is reading one thing in the same style/setting it can be bland and unmemorable to players who are playing similar settings at the same time and it often makes them drop it. Civs are always in season but if done wrong, and often it is, it will fall flat faster than you can say 'Shit'. Risk games, I'm personally not the most interested in, tend to be interesting but lack the options and room for players to do what they want. Settings that are in resemblance to popular shows at the time will do well, like sao or hero Academia, but once the show stops that season it tends to slow down. Originality in your setting is something you should always strive for unless you are not doing a setting and doing a universe that your borrowing. In that case choose something that was real popular but died down recently. People tend to be nostalgic.

Regardless of the setting, your writing must be captivating enough and to properly represent the setting correctly. A silly setting requires an upbeat prose and flowery words where as a grim dark setting requires a gloomy and often mysterious prose which puts certain imagery upfront like grotesque displays of violence. You don't want to put words like festering, fetid, guttural, visceral, and other words alike when writing a story about a modern day game programmer.
>>
>>1624546
It's a series. Star Wars is the setting.

So far it's:

Synopsis in a short paragraph "this is a star wars game"

Intro. "here's my pastebins and rules"

Flavor text/hook/opening crawl

Gameplay start.
You're advocating the hook first then?

I've seen some games in the catalog with flavor/hook where i can't imedeatly tell what sort of game it is, I've always liked an upfront "this is a ww2 waifu game" more than "Esmeralda watched the enemy from the hatch of her Panzer IV". But maybe I'm stupid.
>>
>>1624631
>Synopsis in a short paragraph "this is a star wars game"

If it's your first thread and you start with this I, personally, won't even look at it.

Don't start your story with meta shit. Hook me with the story right off the bat.
>>
>>1624546
I'm new to /qst/ but I've been involved in a few quests so far
>Devil Survivor Spain
Was nice, but I think it's pretty dead for a while now. Would love to see it again, showed some promise.
>Akuling Quest
Really good start but QM didn't want to continue. Also illiterate ESL cunts archiving using misspelled shoddy tags that do not change with rearchival on suptg, so fuck that noise.
>VillanQuest
Misspelled. QM has a bunch of misspellings but his artstyle is really nice. Not to mention 5 threads is pretty good. I think he's put it on hold for now. He's running a JoJo quest right now which is super fucking slow compared to before, but its still nice. Same issue with misspelled archivings.
>WormQuest
I just finished reading Worm so this is good shit. Slow but extremely hooking engaging start. No progress since yesterday but I guess that's to be expected.
>Yugioh Aspiring Duelist Quest
Varying speeds of threads. QM got injured recently so pacing is slowed, but quality is still good. Shows a lot of promise.
>XCOM Trooper Quest
I have no experience with XCOM but two threads and it's already godlike.
>>
>>1624650
It's done ten or so threads already so idk what you consider "first thread". In any case, I'll hit tge drawing board and see if I can craft a hook, though I'd like to just use the Star Wars-style opening crawl, but that almost seems the same as a synopsis.

Since it has rub for ao long, I feel a bit of (Short!) explanation is due for prospective new players.
>>
>>1624694
>idk what you consider "first thread"

Pretty self explanatory. First thread of the quest. Subsequent threads having some meta stuff is fine.
>>
>>1624719
Only reason I mention it is cause It's been on a two week hiatus.
>>
>>1623733
This here? This is good knowledge. Looking forward to next week's obits.
>>
>>1624694
That's why I said the hook should be on your first thread. The explanation in >>1624546 was kinda mainly for new QMs. I didn't know what you did in the past so I decided to try to cover all the bases first and give you a run down on what I saw happening and what I believe would make me, as a player, want to read a thread. If you have any differences in my explanation in why the threads I listed were dying then it's all good. It would help a lot for players to know why you think a certain thread was dead or why they are dying so they don't just give up.
>>
What is the Flowers for Algernon of quests
>>
>>1625234
Joker Quest
>>
>>1621527
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely take a look.

>>1619381
Damn, man - that means a lot. I can't help but see an endless procession of flaws, but such is the way of all QMs.
>>
File: Shoot him!.jpg (17KB, 222x187px) Image search: [Google]
Shoot him!.jpg
17KB, 222x187px
>>1619056
>>1619056

Thread is running again! Battle fanatical cultists in the cavernous veins of a cursed zeppelin!
>>
You guys should totally read through >>1620251. It's a fucking ride.
>>
>>1623733
This is a great idea. Thanks for doing these. It seriously bugs me how many people open with meta stuff instead of a good hook.
>>
What is the Joker Quest of quests?
>>
File: intelligent_frog_poster.jpg (21KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
intelligent_frog_poster.jpg
21KB, 500x435px
>>1623733
good post friend
>>
>>1626206
How so?

Are you saying like the definitive quest where instead of the shitty girl winning, she gets killed?
>>
>>1612795
I really like Lost Earth over on akun. It's inspired by the old Galaxy Quest back on tg but succeeds in setting itself apart. Also it has space magic, always a plus.
>>
>>1623733
neat!
>>
>>1623733
you know what another good thing in that vein would be?

'promising issue #1s' of the week.
>>
>>1624470
Akun Quests don't actually die due to lack of quality though. The worst received shit still gets around five viewers, which is about one voter. Technically that's enough. Run flaming bullshit and you can still get over a hundred viewers under the right circumstances. Akun quests die because the QM doesn't want to continue.
>>
File: Anaxes.jpg (92KB, 400x588px) Image search: [Google]
Anaxes.jpg
92KB, 400x588px
Star Wars: Dark Empire II Quest goes live in just under 24 hours.

I'll be running it (Health providing) for 12 hours straight starting at 8AM Est.

Do any anons even get on around that time? Idk what traffic flow is like here.
>>
>>1626326
Have you read the other Empire Quest where the Stormtrooper becomes an absolute madman?
>>
>>1626334
I sure have, wasn't really my cup of tea
>>
>>1626338
Fair enough. Sometimes having a nice quest like that where you write by the seat of your pants and see where sensible Anons can take you, can be good practice and fun for everyone involved. Just saying.
>>
>>1626240
I'd have made a list if that didn't average at less than 1 a week.
>>
>>1623733
>>1620889
>Ms paint game. Op wanted quick replies and answers to a low quality thread. Impatient and committed suicide. Pronounced dead.

We'll fucking see about that. This board may be slow as shit and I may have a terrible reputation, but by god, I can run something simple as shit, with some MS Paint crap to go with it!

I be plunderin' this vessel and takin' it fer me own!
>>
>>1626367
literally two in those obituaries.
>>
>>1626488
I don't think being dead makes for a very promising quest.

Even if I scaled back to "would mouse over from catalog", I'd have much less work than mister obituary there.
>>
File: Withered-Body-Header.jpg (213KB, 950x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Withered-Body-Header.jpg
213KB, 950x1380px
>>1626526
>>1626526

Withered Hero Quest is up and running.

Entombed for millenia, you have slept. Now, it is the time to awaken. Rise from your ashes, hero.
>>
File: Another Dragon Ball Quest Title.png (109KB, 2048x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Another Dragon Ball Quest Title.png
109KB, 2048x1000px
>>1626737
Another Dragon Ball Quest.
>>
Does anyone still have that vintage /qtg/ shitstorm rankings chart? Used terms like fecal zephyr, if that helps.
>>
>>1627056
this one?: https://pastebin.com/Gs4HircY
>>
>>1627085
Exactly that one.

>Moot himself will look upon such an unholy abomination, and create a board for separate quests. This Shitstorm will create the questing board. And it gets worse. All quests on all other boards are banned.
>mfw
>>
>>1627113
Oh fuck.

By the way, what happened with Shadow Quest/Psion Quest? Color me interested
>>
>>1627178
Psion quest had the lesbian MC get NTRd by a guy.
Shadow quest had a few things happen, but I think that one mostly boils down to railroading, although I'm not certain.
>>
File: What a cutie.jpg (57KB, 309x357px) Image search: [Google]
What a cutie.jpg
57KB, 309x357px
Super Symbiote Quest is now up!

Come and get it!
>>
>>1627204
Fuck that's embarrassing.

>>1627180
>>1627180
>>1627180
>>
>>1626525
well the point would be to draw attention to stuff so it DON'T does dead.
>>
File: Title image.png (30KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Title image.png
30KB, 900x600px
>>1627113
It's a sad, sad day for everyone. No-one wanted this board. No-one it is supposed to be for wanted it, so of course it's been doomed from the start.

I tried to run a Resistance Quest when /qst/ was still in its infancy, as a kind of attempt at a clever protest. Sadly, my own lack of ability, mental health and consistency ruined that. In the end, I kind of blame myself for /qst/ surviving.

In other news however, I am officially ransacking the stupid "Oh Shit You're On A Boat" and re-branding it as my own!

My MS Paint stills are lacking and I may in fact actually die from stomach problems, but I don't even give a fuck. Let's do this!
>>
>>1627444
>>1627444
>>1627444

Beleaguered Prince Quest is now running.
>>
>>1627209
I don't know about you, but "promising issue #1" sounds more like a quest that had a good thread 1, or at least session 1.

But a lot of quests don't even make it past choice 1 without bleeding players or quality. I know. I checked.
>>
>>1627750
IMO the deciding point for many people is often the first day, if not the first hours. It's pretty discouraging to have sparse results in that time period, even if it's completely normal, because it's eating the time set aside for the quest and sitting with your thumb up your ass waiting for responses isn't a useful investment of anybody's time.

So a giant list like an obituary wouldn't be very helpful since by the time you compile a weekly collection it's beyond the point of no return. Really such threads should be recommended very soon after the first few updates.
>>
>>1627804
I don't disagree, but if it's discouraging on their end to not get results in the first day or first few hours, it's discouraging on my end to watch so many people make obvious mistakes.

More than half the new quests are made by people who don't look like they've read a whole (tg)thread of a quest, let alone a couple good ones. And it. Fucking. Shows. In the screwups that the obituary points out, in how poorly they deal with write-ins, whether sincere but bad, shitposting, or good but completely unexpected.

No, what most of them need isn't advertising. They need to show persistence and consistency, that their skin isn't so thin that they'd get discouraged from putting questing ever again. If they can show that they can learn and improve, and have enough balls to stick to a name, then it'll be worth forcing knowledge down their throats(because they refuse to research themselves and people generally don't approve of nagging).

If it was on those terms? Yeah, maybe there'd be 1-3 quests a week under "promising".
>>
>>1627856
Well right now we have:

>BaktriaQuest
>>>1626776
Dreaded name vote, but otherwise a historical quest with divinities, something people have been hankering for. Writing's got good volume, although I wonder whether SAVE POINT is going to be a mechanic or just an indicator that the session ended.

>Withered Hero
>>>1626526
A little indecisive about dealing with ties, this one, but at least the waffling didn't result in player desertion. Got a lot of mechanics behind the screen, which I'm uneasy about, but at least that means he's invested in it. Time will tell if the crunch will help or just force him to burn out.
>>
>>1627970
>Time will tell if the crunch will help or just force him to burn out.
The qming guide states this but I feel awful for qms who try to make up big behind the scenes mechanics for things. It's something I tried and it's pretty much the worst decision possible even if it's a system you're familiar with or something dumbed down and customized for questing, and even if it's one you've built from the ground up and trimmed numerous times.

Like, to describe just how bad of an idea it is if you're an inexperienced QM is add one minute to every one number you have to consider per update spread throughout the session.

Doesn't seem so bad, right? Add 5 seconds for every one calculation and then add 3 seconds for every tab switch or return to skimming your notes (if you're not just ad hoc'n it). Now add more of that in the 2-4 second range for every status or change to major characters and MC. That's hoping you've got good DMing experience or higher than average thinking capabilities or maybe just moronic tryhard determination.

This is also assuming you're doing most of it in your head, which if you're familiar with any system or mechanics and especially any you've built to spec yourself is the minimum for a speedy result. If you have to pull up a calculator during the session for more than two minutes while writing an update you're fucking done m8, because the more your players want to toy with things and the more things you add as considerations into the quest over time the more that can spiral into nonsese you'll have to deal with or ignore and trim as you go, which takes more time and thought in the moment of writing that could be spent on delivering something mildly better. Think powercreep but for numbers/calcs and character variables, they're multiplicative by nature of any not-completely-railroaded quest.

This is in addition to all the basics; thinking of plot and potential direction or deviations as you go, scheduling your prep and run time around your life, etforevercetera for everything else. Questing's usually more fun as a player if the QM is fluid in their thinking, and a complex system bogs that down exponentially.
>>
File: Elephant Battleship.jpg (147KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Elephant Battleship.jpg
147KB, 850x1202px
Session of Shipgirl Commander is running.

>>1629090
>>
>>1627970
Well shucks, I completely overlooked BaktriaQuest. Thanks dood.
>>
I will be posting my Lich in an Alien World quest tomorrow (7 AM PST). Tune in if you like undead, post-Industrial pre-Great War civ quests, or being able to have your lieutenants grow personalities over time and become your perfect monsters!
>>
Hey /qst/, there's a new Fate anime about to comeout so I was hoping there would be a Grail War quest like the great ones we had on /tg/ back in the day, but one of my friends said I shouldn't get my hopes up because this board is where Grail War and other Type Moon quests go to die. Is that true?
>>
File: Imperial Class fighters.jpg (1022KB, 2968x2395px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Class fighters.jpg
1022KB, 2968x2395px
Come join a very special Dark Empire marathon. This game will run for at least 12 hours today. See what my endurance is! Come conquer the galaxy!

>>1629305
>>1629305
>>1629305
>>
>>1629241
I think we've had 2 fate quests here that went some distance?

I mean seriously, you can literally search fate on suptg.
>>
File: 18.2.jpg (197KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
18.2.jpg
197KB, 900x900px
The Time of Wolves
>>
Lets see. One more chance before shelfing this idea.

Third Kingdom Quest is back. A supernatural/exorcist like quest. Hope you guys joined.

>>1630373
>>1630373
>>
Great War Resumes.

Ferdinand Von Brandt will have to choose which fleet he would join.

>>1630619
>>1630619
>>1630619

>>1630386
And i guess i am shelving this
>>
File: shrug.jpg (52KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
52KB, 400x266px
>>1630386
Maybe you'd like Mortician to give you a post mortem?

My diagnosis is you didn't give it long to breathe, sometimes people show up hours later and say "ooo! This looks fun!" Not every quest rockets out of the game, especially not original concepts/less well known properties.
>>
>>1630696
ill just wait it out until it sinks then we can ask mortem for funeral
>>
>Knights Order Quest: Origins
>>1631117 (OP)
I like what I can see about the mechanics: simple framework and in easy to digest chunks. I don't like the actual substance.
"Honor = moral sensibility" pings as a red flag to me, but that's my intuition with little evidence. It just doesn't sound like the QM is angling for unreliable narration.

well that was a minor fuckup
>>
How many words is too many before getting to the first choice? Where is the line for initial scene-setting?
>>
>>1632050
>words

If the first choice isn't in the first or second post it's too long.

Preferably the first.
>>
>>1632053
>words

A good way to measure how long something you've written is.

Anyway, I'm worried about an overly long first 2 posts. Is anything under 6000 characters really okay?

Is it better to insert an essentially meaningless choice to break up the scene-setting, or anything in the first two posts is fine, or to remove description?
>>
>>1632067
You're not writing a book or an essay. You're posting on a board with limited space. Characters are what's important concerning space, not words.

For a first post in the first thread? Write concisely, set the scene and what has to be done and why it matters, then present the choice. Explain enough to hint at depth, but keep it punchy and simple enough to be an appealing hook.

For a hook, the emotion and conflict of a scene is more important than purple prose. Keep it short and to the point, but definitely show in an illustrative manner the tone. The hook should set the general mood of the story, whether it's

>The abyss of space gazed back at you with a thousand glittering eyes, each full of mystery and wonder. A galaxy awaits.

or

>The flames burned hot and high as your ancestral home slowly turned to cinders. You body was weary, but your heart beat still. Before you stood Koguhl the Dark, and he beckoned to you, blade ready for the short amusement he thought you could offer him in your last attempt at the vengeance you hungered for.

The tone and emotion are most important. You can use simple clues to say what the setting is and character introduction shouldn't be more than a paragraph or two. Just stick to what's important.

After the first thread you can do whatever the fuck you like.
>>
File: fdas.png (43KB, 589x441px) Image search: [Google]
fdas.png
43KB, 589x441px
Well, there goes my weekend I guess.
>>
>>1632136
what a perfect opportune amount of free time to run that quest I won't
>>
File: tumblr_o2lbalx6xr1usnmaqo1_1280.jpg (960KB, 1083x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2lbalx6xr1usnmaqo1_1280.jpg
960KB, 1083x1440px
Is it pretentious to use classical artwork for character concepts?
>>
>>1632568
Not that pretentious.
>>
>>1632568
Not unless you also play classical music and quote "The Prince"
>>
>Filled with desire to run quests
>Don't have time

>Have time to run quests
>Meh idc

Why
>>
>>1632938
Basically our brains are so fucking retarded that if there is a god he should be ashamed.
>>
File: opopopopopopopopop.png (267KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
opopopopopopopopop.png
267KB, 1024x1024px
>>1632992
PAQ's back, and probably slow as ever
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.