[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Civilization General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: general.jpg (1MB, 1841x3203px) Image search: [Google]
general.jpg
1MB, 1841x3203px
This is NOT a civ thread, it's a place to share and contribute various tips and notes about making/playing civs. Civ select images, tech trees, whathaveyou. Go ahead and do your shitflinging too, civs seem a little bit anemic right now anyway.

>Link to sleepy_drawfag's even cards:
http://imgur.com/a/xtYLp#0

So, it has come to my attention that the gdocs filled with civ errata is....gone. Deleted. Anyone got a copy?
>>
>>1542272
anyone have any ideas for what magic suits islands?
>>
>>1542272
Heres an important tip for civs
I'm a veteran of a two long running ones and i'm helping with making a third.

These quests if you want them to do well require a high initial investment. you need a plot, solid mechanics to prevent power creep, a number of fleshed out races, a good amount knowledge related to the development of civilizations and all the stuff that goes with it.
>>
>>1544566
Is it difficult running a civ for a mundane and inhuman race like Insects, machines or elementals? I always see people choose those but they're hard for me to connect to which makes me reluctant to participate and I imagine they're also harder to write for as a QM.
>>
>>1544827
>insects
>sapient machines
>elementals
>mundane
excuse me?

more to the point, it can depend on how the QM spins it. It can make the regular fantastical, like the Extended Road to do Tasks that are Trivial with Hands, go full scifi with mutations/"inventions"/doodle god, or simply exploring entirely alien POVs.
>>
>>1544838
I just don't get how you can run a quest or craft a story for a hive of insects with a single Queen and countless drones or a colony of fungi. At least other races like Elves, Lizardmen and Giants can have relatable characters.
>>
>>1544894
create autonomous forms that use their indivudality to help solve the problems the hive faces.
Mushroom people i dont think you can really put in the hands of players and expect them to work out right.
>>
>>1544894
that....is a completely different issue.

You can check out Hive Queen Quest if you want, quite a long one that.

drones are not just order-takers, they can have emotions and thoughts, it's in their biology. They just treat the Queen as an integral part of themselves, rather than a separate entity. If it tells them to do something, they know it is for the colony, and they identify themselves as part of that colony.
>>
>>1542272

With the current state of the board I would have to suggest finding some small (or large) way to differentiate yourself from the other Civ quests floating around, I am looking at starting a Civ up myself in a few weeks and am going to bring back the Ogre Civ dice rolling system to add same dynamism and a bit of pop to draw attention.

>>1544915

As an addition there's a recent Civ that had insects that handled it well, look up Cursed Civ Quest
>>
>>1544430
Water and air magic
>>
>>1545085
air? Really? Yeah, I think I can work with that. Aside from water, I just need 1 more. Hell, i might make the last volcano magic.
>>
>>1545094
What magic does not suit islands?
Really up to what sort of island we are talking about, but I'd probally pick nature magic for last, as it could be usefull under water too.
>>
>>1545127
I'm looking for around 3 magics per location to give a bonus to, allowing for some overlap.

Not that these are set in stone, but with a lot of players who aren't willing to give as much as they take, I feel it's safe to have a few defaults handy.
>>
What swamp magic is not stereotypically evil?
>>
>>1547509

Nature magic, swamps are incredibly full of biodiversity, what does contribute to them being a breeding ground of plagues and death but also of growing and life
>>
>>1548622
alright, but how about a necropolis, a ruined city swarming with undead?

What magic would suit it that isn't necromancy or holy/fire stuff?
>>
>>1548630

The easiest would probably be shadows and darkness but if you wanted one that is less blatantly evil as that I would say Mind/Psychic magic; telekinesis, telepathy, hypnosis, etc.
>>
File: IMG_2271.jpg (7MB, 2880x8640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2271.jpg
7MB, 2880x8640px
Here's another civ quest template
>>
>>1549444
DESU i think this should be used as a pool of races to choose from to make a race chart because im seeing a lot of bloat on this. Also i think QMs should work on making custom race charts otherwise theyll never be able to develop interesting worlds
>>
>>1549444
>The chart
I'd suggest QMs stop using this, it's boring to see the same chart used every time, and even more so when the QMs never bother to actually run it.
>>
>>1550406
I kinda want to downsize it to vaguer categories.

>Nomads
>Flying
>Kentauros/equine/horse-like
>Giant
>Divine
>Animate
>Aquatic
>Amorphous

players pick one, then throw out whatever actual races they want. I'll generate perks once the race is decided on.
>>
>>1551748
I really wouldn't suggest it. The slowest part, and the part at which most civs die, is the first choice the players make, race/place. Adding another step will only slow it even further.
>>
>>1551748
>>1552471
The best thing to do for a race sheet is to make around a dozen races that the players can chose from and which fit nicely into the world your creating. I say 12 because its a big enough number to be diverse but small enough for them to have enough effort put in to make them interesting.
>>
>>1552568
if you have interesting Ideas for races that you can fit into your setting as you go along with the quest you can slowly introduce them as the players discover new lands
>>
>>1552471
well the OTHER thing I wanted to try, is to have the race/place choice made here, in civ general. Players pitch a particular combo, and then the the GM makes the thread. Either that or

>>1552568
, where the GM has a relatively filled setting in mind already and a smaller pool of races.
>>
>>1553005
I highly recommend you use the second option.
>>
>>1553005
I feel a problem a lot of GMs struggle with is powercreep when it's not their own setting, which is why I advise against starting with a race just off of the standard sheet. I think seeing those sheets as the OP image also puts off a lot of newbies, which is why I agree with >>1553039
>>
>>1558751

I've got a thread up, if anyone fancies it.
>>
The game has now started, Undercity Vampires.
>>
What would be great is civs that have dedication from the Ops. I mean I mostly wing my quests with a bit of a plot to follow but a lot of my shit is made up on the spot. And my quests are shit. But if ops could put in some forethought and effort civ quests would be much more fun
>>
>>1562235
that's not much of an argument. Civs would be better with more invested QMs, but more invested QMs aren't necessarily going to get equally invested players. A QM can't go on forever with lackluster votes and player turnouts.
>>
>>1562243
If you make a Civ that has effort put into it the players will stick around for it and more will join the Civ when they notice it wasn't something that died a few sessions in.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.