[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crosswinds Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

File: 1492485058584.jpg (126KB, 1400x928px) Image search: [Google]
1492485058584.jpg
126KB, 1400x928px
You aren't sure when or how it happened, but you now find yourself floating in a deep blue void, a featureless expanse which appears to go on infinitely in all directions. There is a dense fog surrounding you and not much in the way of light, save for the slight glow of these wispy, ethereal forms which pass by from time to time. This place really does seem disconnected from all of reality, whatever that was to you before.

You seem to be capable of movement, somehow, but it seems somewhat pointless with nothing to move towards. Well, nothing but a spot of light far above you. The fog blocks it out somewhat, but it shines so brilliantly that you couldn't possibly miss it, even here.

It doesn't take long for your thoughts to turn inward. How did you get here? And how can you go back? You could float here all day and ponder your existence, but right now you're more interested in getting the answers than asking the questions.

Maybe that light would be a good place to start. While you're at it, try and remember who you are, because there are hazier things than the fog here.

>[ ] Go up.
>[ ] Try and remember how you got here.
>[ ] Take a closer look at those glowy... things.

>[ ] Write-in: __________________________
>>
>>1496877
>>[ ] Take a closer look at those glowy... things.
>>
>>1496877
>[ ] Try and remember how you got here.
>>
>>1496877
>>[ ] Try and remember how you got here.
>>
>[x] Try and remember how you got here.
>[x] Take a closer look at those glowy... things.

Another one of the forms passes by, trailing dust behind. You decide to follow it as you think on your predicament. They don't seem hostile, after all, so what's the harm?

You think you remember going to sleep? Yes, that'd be the easiest answer- this is just some weird, especially boring dream. So if you just pinch your arm like so...

Huh. You're pretty sure you had arms before. No body either, which you're sure would drain the color from the face you don't seem to have. So much for that idea. The form offers no clues either, just a vaguely humanoid shape drifting along. Actually, now that you've seen one up close, they all look sorta like people. Unfortunately, you don't seem to have any way of attracting their attention, so you decide to leave them be.

As mesmerizing as the glow is, the whole 'incorporeal consciousness' schtick is starting to wear on you. If you could recall one thing, just one thing about yourself, it'd be a start. If it's a dream, it's probably best to play along, and if not...

You don't want to think about that.

>[ ] A person needs a name, right? You're pretty sure yours was...
>[ ] How about your appearance? Didn't you look something like...
>[ ] No, enough dawdling. You are you, and the rest will come in time. Go up.

>>
>>1498531
>>[ ] No, enough dawdling. You are you, and the rest will come in time. Go up.
>>
>>1498531
>>[ ] A person needs a name, right? You're pretty sure yours was...
>>
>>1498531
>>[ ] A person needs a name, right? You're pretty sure yours was..
>>
>[x] No, enough dawdling. You are you, and the rest will come in time. Go up.
>[x] A person needs a name, right? You're pretty sure yours was...

Right, right. Even if you don't remember who you are right now, it's not as if mulling over the specifics does anything for you but waste precious time. You turn your gaze back toward the spot, and begin to ascend...

...you stop. Eager as you are to leave, the thought of going onward without knowing even the first thing about yourself is enough to freeze you in place, horrifying you in a way that only an existential crisis could. What if all of this nonsense is symbolic, and leaving so soon would be akin to leaving yourself as you were behind? What if you've fallen into a coma, and this part of the process of waking back up? What then?

A compromise, then. Just your name should be enough to start everything else falling into place, you think, and then you should be good to go. It sounds just reasonable enough to be true, and so you strain to recall exactly which name was your own.

It's on the tip of your tongue, just beyond the boundary of your conscious mind, when suddenly-

"My name is..."

>>
>>1498666
Alex Satan
>>
>>1498666
Elizabeth Deed
>>
>[x] Alex Satan
>[x] Elizabeth Deed

That sounds just about right, you think. You let the names echo a bit in your mind, reaffirming their legitimacy. Even if it wasn't really your name...

No, you're absolutely certain. You are without a doubt Elizabeth S. Deed, and you reckon it's about time for you to leave. Once more, you begin your ascent, slowly but surely approaching that spot of light, basking in its radiant glow. You feel at ease with existence, in tune with your very being on a level beyond what you could have possibly expected from such a simple ritual. It's absurd.

Wait, hold that thought. Something's wrong. You're feeling awfully short of breath, just about suffocating- no, it's like drowning- but you have no body, no lungs to breathe with. You feel very, very faint, and the last thought you manage before you pass through the light is the one you most feared.

There's nothing but white now. White, and an unbearable tightness where your chest would be.

And then, release.
Alex Satan was extremely tempting, considering those particular triples confirmed by doubles. I hope you'll forgive my compromise, Intrepid.

Anyway, how are you anons liking it so far? I promise things are about to pick up. Thank you for sticking with me through this admittedly slow opening bit.
>>
>>1498913
Was suggesting Alex, calling YOU satan. Yanno cause of the trips.
Pretty good so far OP.
>>
>>1498926
Ooh, you slipped that one right by me. I thought you were going for a guy with an extremely ominous family name, which tickled me.
Glad you're enjoying it, though. Next post is inbound shortly, so buckle up.
>>
You 'wake' with a start, sucking wind like you got cold-cocked by a freight train. Fortunately, you aren't drowning, though you cough and sputter as frigid air stings your lungs. Fully roused, your breathing begins to normalize, and your eyes flick around your surroundings.

To your left, there is a cliff overlooking a sea, with an overcast sky above stretching out toward the horizon. To your right, what looks to be number of houses, but not a soul to be seen. That is, of course, with the exception of a man standing just a few feet in front of you.

He looks lanky and harrowed, his gaunt face frozen in abject terror, no doubt from witnessing your sudden awakening. He is clad in a dusty, threadbare tunic and pants, over which is a coat in similar condition which he is shakily reaching into. A bulging pack lay in a heap just behind him, as if it had been quickly dropped.

Before anything else, you should probably talk this guy down, before he does something rash.

>[ ] You don't want any trouble. "Hey, take it easy, okay?"
>[ ] Get some answers. Start with a simple one. "Who are you? And where am I?"
>[ ] Oh hell no. "Try it and I'll take that hand."
>[ ] Just get up. You don't have time for this fool.

>>
>>1499010
Well shit, that's the last time I drink THAT much again. Oh howdy, uh... Could you tell me where I am? What is this place, I mean?
>>
>[x] "Well shit, that's the last time I drink THAT much again. Oh howdy, uh... Could you tell me where I am? What is this place, I mean?"

It's a bold-faced lie, but it's the best you've got for explaining away what must've looked like your rising from the dead. You even throw in a couple fake hiccups here and there to try and really sell it.

The man's expression changes to one of bewilderment, and it seems your act did the trick.

"Miss, you weren't- no, you were definitely..."

"Soused, I know! What can I say? After the first few, I just can't help myself," you say, cutting him off.

With that, you're sure you've done it. The man drops his arms to his sides, mouth slightly agape, then quickly attempts to collect himself. He speaks again, this time in a more level tone.

"I, uh... I know a few men like that, yeh." You flash a smile.

"You'll have to forgive my, uh, incredulousness, Miss, but I find it difficult to believe you came out all this way for some drinks." He makes a gesture toward something behind him, and you try to stretch your neck far enough to get a look. However, it seems you're sore all over, and you can't help but let out a low groan as you attempt to sit up properly. What the man was gesturing to, you see, was a number of bodies lined up in rows, stripped of their valuables but not of their heraldry. Soldiers. You grimace.

"Eheh. Wrong place at the wrong time, I suppose." He doesn't look convinced.

"Be that as it may, Schorenweg is no place for a lady such as yourself. Who knows what sort of, uh, foul-mannered miscreant might have found you had I not been here! And in such a vulnerable state? You should count yourself lucky, Miss!" For the first time since he started talking, he seems to have settled back into his natural state, and a smarmy grin spreads across his face.

>[ ] Take offense. "I can handle myself, thanks!"
>[ ] Sounds like he knows the area. "Schorenweg?"
>[ ] He might be a sleazeball, but he's not wrong. "Where can I go?"
>[ ] Get up and leave. You won't stand to be lectured by the likes of him.

This will probably my last post for tonight. More tomorrow, probably. I'm enjoying writing these up and we've barely even started.
>>
>>1499127
>>[ ] Take offense. "I can handle myself, thanks!"
Night op
>>
Starting again in 30. Thought I'd try a little later in the day.
>>
>[x] Take offense. "I can handle myself, thanks!"

He looks shocked by your sudden change of tone, though that quickly changes to something like bitterness, and then a look of smug superiority. He reaches down to pick up his dropped pack, slinging it over his shoulder.

"Whatever you say, Miss. Best of luck to ya." You even hear him let out a bit of a chuckle. Bastard.

The man walks past you and begins whistling a tune, heading somewhere you can't currently see. You have half a mind to shout some choice expletives his way, but you reckon it's not worth the effort. First things first, you need to get up.

You're hurting all over, so it's a bit of a struggle to pull yourself off the ground, but you manage it nonetheless. You'd been propped up rather unceremoniously against a boulder prior to waking up. This... probably isn't somewhere you'd consider taking a nap, though you guess there's no way to be certain of even that.

A quick scan of the area reveals a few details you failed to pick up initially. Firstly, some distance from behind where you were seated, a ridge almost entirely cuts off this general area from anything else. Only a slight dip roughly in the center of said ridge provides any way whatsoever of leaving, at least as far as you can tell. Secondly, the houses look as if they've been ransacked, likely the aftermath of whatever left all those people dead. Conveniently, however, there's also what looks to be a tavern at the far end of the houses. You guess that's probably why that guy bought your bluff.

Well, you're not going to find any answers by standing around. Searching this village for leads is all you can really do now.

>[ ] Start checking those houses. It's a long shot, but maybe one of them is yours?
>[ ] Could be something in the tavern. Like booze, perhaps.
>[ ] What about the soldiers? Can you tell why they were here?
>[ ] Look around for anything else you might have missed. You can't be too thorough, after all.

>>
>>1501504
>>[ ] Look around for anything else you might have missed. You can't be too thorough, after all.
Especially since you were dead.
>>
>>1501504
>>[ ] Look around for anything else you might have missed. You can't be too thorough, after all.
>>
Sorry, had to tend to something unexpected.
>[x] Look around for anything else you might have missed. You can't be too thorough, after all.

Alright, let's try our best.

You walk over to where the houses are arranged and inspect them in order. There are six in total, three on either side of you, and four of the six have their doors busted or otherwise removed. There don't seem to be any occupants, at least as far as you can tell, meaning you are most likely now alone. Nestled between the two furthest back houses on the left is a man, more specifically a dead soldier. You guess that guy from earlier must've missed him.

Moving around back toward the tavern, you spot a well that had been obscured by the houses before, and as you walk toward it you spot- curiously- what seems to be a stairway carved out of the cliff face. It's a rather narrow and precarious looking thing, so you decide to leave it be for now. On a whim, you peer down the well and spot the glint of something stuck down below.

Following the edge of the cliff back around to where you woke up, you spy a tree growing on a bit of an overhang. Now, you technically saw this before, though its presence didn't even mentally register for you at the time. It just looked like it was supposed to be there. However, upon closer inspection, you see a number of what you assume are initials have been carved into the tree. You suppose that's noteworthy.

A quick look over the rows of bodies is all you need to deduce that anything of value has already been taken. That man was thorough, you can say that much. They are all wounded in various ways, mostly slashes and cuts, and if you have to get very much closer you think you'll barf. The smell is particularly abhorrent.

Finally, you come to the passage through the ridge. It looks like it was largely naturally formed, with just another staircase etched into the earth, presumably as a convenience.

That seems to be everything. Maybe someone with a keener eye could find more here, but honestly, you think you did a pretty good job.

>[ ] Get to checking those houses.
>[ ] That tavern is calling your name. Also, you've not looked inside it yet.
>[ ] If the soldier between those houses hasn't been touched, maybe he can still offer some clues.
>[ ] There's something in the well, and we must have it!
>[ ] Maybe it'd be best to hit the road.

>>
>>1502052
>>[√] If the soldier between those houses hasn't been touched, maybe he can still offer some clues.
And maby we can find a weapon.
>>
>[x] If the soldier between those houses hasn't been touched, maybe he can still offer some clues.

You go back to where you found him, hold your breath, and kneel to take a closer look.

Unfortunately, he suffered the same fate as the others, succumbing to his wounds after finding somewhere to curl up and die. As for what he might have fought, you haven't the faintest. The adornments on his surcoat are the same as the others, giving reason enough to believe they belonged to the same group.

As you suspected, he is wearing a short sword at his hip. You pull it from its sheath and inspect it, noting the lack of ornamentation and the rather utilitarian design. This is a soldier's sidearm, through and through. You decide to take both the sword and sheath, as you're beginning to suspect that you're very, very far from home.

<<Acquired a short-sword.>>

He also has in his possession a small pouch. You could look inside, or choose not to indulge in further grave robbery.

>[ ] Let it be. He's suffered enough indignity, you reckon.
>[ ] Open the pouch. Might be worth taking a look, at least.
>[ ] Take the pouch. What use is it to a dead man?

>>
>>1502230
>>[ ] Let it be. He's suffered enough indignity, you reckon.
Lets go inspect the tree, see if those are tally marks.
>>
>[x] Let it be. He's suffered enough indignity, you reckon.

Indeed. Due to the dead and whatnot. You tie the sheathed sword to your hip and begin walking back over toward the lone tree.

You inspect it as carefully as you can. You don't think you see any tally marks, just assorted letters and the occasional cross. You can only assume what they might mean. The carvings definitely look as though they were made some time ago, though.

There's really not a whole lot to say about the tree itself. You're really starting to feel a chill.

>[ ] Very well.

>>
>>1502340
>>[ ] Write-in: __________________________
Lets go to the inn and try to listen to the gossip, and warm up.
>>
>[x] Lets go to the inn and try to listen to the gossip, and warm up.

Inn, tavern, same difference. You enter, but...

...it's empty. Not empty as in furnishings, there's plenty of that- tables, chairs, a bar, even a fire pit- but there's nobody here. At all. What the hell happened here that there's not even a drunk to be found?

At least it's a little bit warmer in here. And you could probably get a fire going if you wanted. Plus, by the looks of things, this place is fully stocked. A nice meal and a tall drink sound like heaven right now.

There are also stairs to a second floor, probably leading to some lodging. You don't suppose anyone else will be using it, so it's probably safe to say you now have a bed to fall back on, too. Not bad.

>[ ] Get some grub. You feel like you haven't eaten in... well, ever.
>[ ] You'd better believe you're gonna light that fire pit.
>[ ] Actually, maybe some rest would be nice. Being reborn takes a lot out of you.

>>
>>1502480
Draw the sword and look around, don't want people to sneak up on you and reverse your being alive. Once the tavern is cleared, we can cook some food and settle in for the night.
>>
>[x] Draw the sword and look around, don't want people to sneak up on you and reverse your being alive. Once the tavern is cleared, we can cook some food and settle in for the night.

You... hadn't really considered that. Well, now you're a bit afraid there might be someone lying in wait, ready to ambush at any moment. You draw your blade. It's not that you don't know how to use it, but you certainly don't remember if you've ever had to defend yourself. Let's hope this won't be the 'first' time.

With your blade at the ready, you start sweeping every nook and cranny of the room, checking under tables, behind the bar, even looking up at the ceiling for potential assailants. All clear.

You climb the stairs, poised to strike if necessary. A turn around the corner reveals a short hallway, with two doors to your right and one to your front. You grab the handle of the door nearest you, sloooooooowly turning it, pushing the door in to find...

...yep, it's a room. Your guess was spot on. It's rather well furnished, all the linens are freshly changed, and- most importantly- there's nobody in sight. You double check under the bed, behind the door, everywhere you can think of. Nothing. You close the door behind you on the way out.

Moving to the second door, you suddenly feel a chill run down your spine. What if this is a trick? You'd be in prime position for backstabbing, what with that last door right behind you. You decide it might be best to clear it first. Same deal, ever so sloooooooowly opening the door to reveal what you could best describe as an office, complete with all the trappings. Nobody behind the desk, nor under it, and you doubt even the wiliest assassin could fit themselves between the pages of that ledger. Once again, you check behind the door, then close it behind you as you exit.

Last door. It shouldn't matter more than any other, and yet it exudes a certain tension. Just one last room to clear, and you're safe. But you hesitate.

>[ ] It's probably fine, right? Best to leave it.
>[ ] Let's be methodical about this. Clear that room and you're done.
>[ ] There's no time for fear, bust open that door! Maybe even let out a warcry for good measure.

>>
>>1502655
>>[ ] There's no time for fear, bust open that door! Maybe even let out a warcry for good measure.
Better to face it now, than when we are asleep.
>>
>[x] There's no time for fear, bust open that door! Maybe even let out a warcry for good measure.

Deep breaths. Fear is the mind-killer, and you won't let it best you today. You grip your sword tightly in your right hand, confidence renewed, and you grasp the door's handle with your left. If there really is someone behind this door who means to kill you, you will strike them down. But first, you're going to scare them shitless.

"Yaaaaaaaa!!"

You burst through the door, brandishing your sword like a madman, and you find-

...uhm. Well, there's someone here, alright. A young woman lie on her side on the bed before you, clutching a pillow to herself. She jerks a bit at the noise, then sits up, squints at you, then yawns. You'll admit to being caught a little off-guard, though you're grateful that she doesn't seem to be a threat, or she's the worst assassin you've ever seen. She sets the pillow aside and starts to wipe the sleep from her eyes, allowing you to size her up in full.

She is about as tall as you, though maybe a bit shorter, and wearing just a slip. Her fair, straight hair reaches down to the small of her back. Her skin, too, is fair, and you're inclined to describe her body as... voluptuous, and you'll admit to being just a bit envious. Her face is small and a little sharp, and even now you can sense an unassuming intelligence hidden behind those sharp, sea green eyes. Just who is this girl?

She looks at you blankly, then blinks.

"Umm... well met."

>[ ] Apologize profusely. "I'm sorry, I had no idea!"
>[ ] Wait, are you sure she's friendly? "What are you doing here?"
>[ ] Try to play this off. Somehow. "Yes, hello!"

>>
>>1502797
>>[ ] Apologize profusely. "I'm sorry, I had no idea!"
I got worried when I found this tavern abandoned. So I decided to make sure there weren't any bandits or robbers hiding here before I went to sleep. Sorry for barging in.
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (88KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
88KB, 480x270px
>>1502797
>>[ ] Try to play this off. Somehow. "Yes, hello!"
>>
Sorry again, I guess captcha started acting up last night, so I had to call things earlier than I'd have liked. Here's the post that I had, and I'll be starting up again in a few hours or so.
>[x] I got worried when I found this tavern abandoned. So I decided to make sure there weren't any bandits or robbers hiding here before I went to sleep. Sorry for barging in.
>[x] Try to play this off. Somehow. "Yes, hello!"

You really do try to pretend like that didn't just happen. "Y-yes, hello, hi!" is about the best you can manage, which you follow up with some frantic stammering about checking the tavern for bandits and robbers, liberally throwing in sincere apologies. It's the truth, but it doesn't stop your cheeks from burning with embarrassment, and you're about one more sheepish explanation from burying your face in your hands and running away.

She blinks again, then smiles warmly, cocking her head slightly to the side. "I suppose I do feel much safer now," she wryly responds. "May I ask your name?"

"...huh?" You're taken aback, certain this was about to go an entirely different direction. You sheath your sword, certain you'll not need it now, as you try to regain your composure. "I'm... Elizabeth. Sorry, again."

She gestures with her hand, waving away your concern as if it were but a bothersome fly.

"It's nothing. I'd have likely done the same, were I in your position." Beat. She's serious? "My name is Emelie Seydlitz. It's a pleasure to meet you."

There's a certain elegance to her speaking, an utterly disarming sense of tact which you don't quite understand, but for which you are extremely grateful. And what's more, it's possible that this Emelie may know something about your situation- this disastrous encounter is beginning to seem almost fortuitous!

>[ ] Try to stay cordial. "Nice to meet you."
>[ ] Get some info. "What happened out there, anyway?"
>[ ] Keep it simple, just try to get your bearings. "Can you tell me where we are? In general?"
>[ ] You're not sure you trust this Emelie yet. "So wait, why are you here?"

>>
>>1503474
>>[ ] Keep it simple, just try to get your bearings. "Can you tell me where we are? In general?"
>>
Starting back up in 30 or so.
>>
>[x] Keep it simple, just try to get your bearings. "Can you tell me where we are? In general?"

She shakes her head, her warm expression turning somber. "Actually, I... well, this is going to sound a bit strange, but I actually don't remember much of anything at all. Everything before yesterday is a blur."

Your heart sinks. For a moment, you'd really thought that she might be able to clear things up, but it seems you and she are in the same boat. Although...

"Everything before yesterday, you said?"

She nods. "I woke up here, in this room. Everyone I asked down there didn't seem to think much of it, as if that's something which happens every day. I thought I'd take it easy and try to piece things together tomorrow, but..."

"...so much for that now, right?" You finish the thought for her, prompting another nod. If nothing else, at least you know you're not alone.

"So there were people here," you ask.

"Are there not now?"

You're not sure how to respond to that.

>[ ] Level with her. "No, and I don't know what happened."
>[ ] You sure hope she didn't mean those soldiers. "It might have to do with what happened outside..."
>[ ] This story is extremely fishy. J'accuse! "I think you know more than you're letting on."

>>
>>1505364

Level with her. Try to figure this out together.
>>
>>1505364
>>[ ] You sure hope she didn't mean those soldiers. "It might have to do with what happened outside..."
>>
Whoops. Something came up.
>[x] You sure hope she didn't mean those soldiers. "It might have to do with what happened outside..."
>[x] Level with her. Try to figure this out together.

No need to mince words. "You might want to come have a look outside." Her brow wrinkles with concern for a moment, and you notice her eyes flitting about as she thinks.

"Let me get dressed. I'll meet you outside."

You leave her room and begin descending the staircase. So she also seems to be amnesic, in largely the same way you seem to be. The only difference is how far back your memories go. There may be a relation there worth investigating, you think. You reach the bottom and walk to the door, exiting the tavern.

--

Some time passes before Emelie joins you outside. It's darker out now than it was, and considerably colder. You're really wanting for a coat right about now.

"Where is everyone? What happened out here?" There's a hint of genuine devastation in her voice.

"I don't know," you say, "but I was hoping you could help me figure that out." She gives you a rather serious look, then appears as if contemplating something before finally nodding.

"Very well," she affirms. Without skipping a beat, she begins looking over the houses, seemingly appraising their condition. "Sacked, without a doubt." She peers through the busted doorframe of one. "But there's no sign of a struggle anywhere inside." Together, you check the rest of the accessible houses, finding this to be true for each.

"So what does that mean?" She ignores your question, however, making her way over toward the dead soldiers. "Professionals," she remarks, "I think it unlikely that bandits would have the means of procuring uniform attire, and less likely that they'd want to. Although..."

You listen attentively, entranced by her analysis. "These men all bear the same coats of arms, and their wounds suggest a protracted melee. That would mean they were either defending this village from some vastly superior force," she says, turning to face you again, "or they were encountered by a similarly overwhelming force as they were raiding, and were exterminated."

You blink. "The latter seems more likely, at least in my eyes. It would explain why I'm still alive." You hadn't thought nearly as deep into this as she has. "Though that does seem a bit of a stretch, considering it'd have taken an army to so thoroughly trounce these men."

"What about an internal struggle?" It's the first thing that comes to mind, and you think it sounds like something that could've happened, so you blurt it out.

Emelie pauses. Her brow furrows, and she rests a hand on her chin. "That... would explain a lot, actually. It's certainly possible." She lets out a bit of a sigh before continuing. "It's impossible to say exactly what happened after the fact, though. Given I don't recognize anyone here, though, I'd say the residents likely got away safely. As for how they fled, however..."
>>
She shrugs and shakes her head. "It's beyond me." At least there's some good news. Probably.

"So where do we go from here, Emelie?"

Another sigh, though this one sounds more of frustration. "I'd been banking on puzzling things out with the locals, though that's impossible now. I guess I'll stay here and regroup, think up a plan, something like that..." She trails off, sounding almost defeated.

Could it be that there's another way?

>[ ] If the villagers fled, they can't have gone far. "I could look for them."
>[ ] Maybe the answer lies within. "We should both think on this..."
>[ ] In any case, you're in this together now. "Accompany me?"

>>
>>1506316
Well, lets get some food first, then we can talk about what we can do.
>>
>[x] Well, lets get some food first, then we can talk about what we can do.

"Maybe we could discuss it together? Like... over a meal? I'm starving."

She thinks for a moment, then looks to you and smiles. "It would be my pleasure."

You both head back toward the tavern, eager to finally get something to eat.

--

Fortunately, there's enough bread and dried meat in the store to throw together something for the both of you. It's nothing special, of course, but you're just happy to have anything at all. You also got a bit of drink because, well, why not?

"It's just so unusual," Emelie muses. "Why would anyone attack here? It makes no sense." You don't have an answer, so you just sip your drink. It's a troubling thought, though- why would anyone attack this place? And with organized soldiers, at that? You think there's something big going on here, and you've got a bad feeling you're going to be finding out exactly what very soon.

"Anyway, you said you wanted to discuss... um, what was it, exactly?" Oh, right, that. Gonna have to make a call.

>[ ] Offer to track the obvious lead. "I could look for the villagers."
>[ ] Maybe the answer lies within. "We should both think on this..."
>[ ] Two heads are better than one. "Let's search together."

>>
>>1506614
>>[ ] Two heads are better than one. "Let's search together."
Safety in numbers, even though we number two.
>>
Last one for tonight. Hopefully I won't be as scatterbrained tomorrow.
>[x] Two heads are better than one. "Let's search together."

"I-I see."

Emelie folds her hands in her lap, looking around anxiously. "I'm not sure I can. It's not that I wouldn't like to, but..." She pauses to breathe. "It would be unbecoming of me to impose upon you. I hope you can understand." Whoa, is she serious? Where is this coming from?

"You really wouldn't be, I promise! I just thought it would be nice to travel with pleasant company, and you-"

She cuts you off, shaking her head. "I'm sorry."

Her words cut you deeply. "But... I just thought, you know, since there's safety in numbers and all..." You start to trail off feebly, but you've accepted this outcome.

Except suddenly, Emelie perks up. "Wait, what was that you said just now?" You're completely taken aback by this change of tone, stammering a, "W-what?" Did you say something wrong? You hesitantly repeat yourself.

"Safety in... yes, I see." A maniacal mood seems to have overcome her, a smile spreading across her face. It's as if she's been taken some sort of fervor which was entirely absent just moments ago. "You're entirely right, traveling together would be far superior strategically. I've changed my mind." She grins wide and extends her hand to you.

You... don't understand at all, but at least she's come around. You take her hand in yours and firmly shake it, sealing the- wait, are those sparks?

Something shocks you badly, and Emelie seems just as affected. It takes every ounce of strength you have to stay standing without screaming out in pain. The shocks quickly subside however, leaving you both limp and barely standing, but still hand-in-hand.

<<You've forged an unbreakable bond with Emelie Seydlitz.>>

You groan. "Are... are you alright? I don't know what..." Head hung low, she manages a nod, though she is panting in exhaustion. What the hell was that all about?

>[ ] Try to shrug it off. "Well, that might be the second weirdest thing to happen to me today..."
>[ ] Even if you don't know what happened, your companion's well-being comes first. "You're not hurt, are you?"
>[ ] Maybe humor will make the pain go away. "I trust this won't hurt our partnership or anything!"

>>
>>1506972
>[x] Even if you don't know what happened, your companion's well-being comes first. "You're not hurt, are you?"
>>
Taking today as a planning day. Please stay tuned.
>>
>>1506972
>>[ ] Even if you don't know what happened, your companion's well-being comes first. "You're not hurt, are you?"
Followed by, what the hell was that?
>>1510758
Staying tuned, just posting so I won't forget.
>>
Going live in 30, hopefully.
>>
>[x] Even if you don't know what happened, your companion's well-being comes first. "You're not hurt, are you?"

You attempt to quickly assess her condition, hoping she isn't too badly hurt. Thankfully, she doesn't seem to be injured, though she does appear to be pretty badly shaken up, only still standing by leaning into the table for support.

"I'm alright, I'm okay," she murmurs. "That... was a mean trick, though."

"Huh? No, that wasn't me, or... I don't know what happened, honest." In fairness, her assumption wasn't entirely unfair. If you were so inclined, and if the shock had been toned down a bit, that would've been quite the prank.

She groans as she pulls herself out of her slump, finally releasing her deathgrip on your hand. "It sounds like you might have some latent magical ability. Or..." She rubs her forehead. "You'll have to forgive me, but we'll have to look into that some other time." You're feeling a bit too drained to argue- not that you'd want to, anyway- so you nod a bit in agreement.

"I think I'm gonna get to bed. Sorry for, um, zapping you." It was all you could really offer, but Emelie waves it away once again, still massaging her temples with her other hand. "It's nothing. Go get some rest, and we'll set out tomorrow."

Well, you have no objections. You think.

>[ ] Get some shuteye.
>[ ] Wait, not yet. "There's something outside I wanted to check first."
>[ ] You're not convinced she's going to be alright. "Is there anything I could do for you?"
>[ ] Another drink, then you sleep.

>>
>>1515089
>>[ ] Get some shuteye.
>>
>[x] Get some shuteye.

Yes, you're really starting to feel it now. You've only been up for a few hours, but you guess that electrocution took a lot out of you. After bidding Emelie a good night, you head upstairs and into the first room on the right.

What a tumultuous day this has turned out to be. It's just fortunate, you think, that you've finally found someone who may be able to help you make sense of it all. You go to change into some nightclothes, only to remember you don't have any, or indeed anything more than what you're wearing now. You'll have to do something about that, you surmise.

You flop onto the bed. It's not bad, actually- not too firm, but not too soft, either. It doesn't take long at all for you to drift off...

--

The morning comes, and you wake feeling much better. If nothing else, at least you haven't been completely blindsided again, certain you woke in the same place you went to sleep.

After freshening up, you head downstairs to find Emelie already waiting for you. "Good morning," she says with a warm smile. "Did you sleep well?" You nod. "Very good. Would you like something to eat before we leave?" You don't see any harm in grabbing a quick bite.

"So, how do you intend to go about this, then?" You're a bit confused by her words, being a little preoccupied with scarfing down some bread, but then it dawns on you- you're about to set out on a potentially dangerous journey, but you have little in the way of provisions or supplies.

Well, you should probably address this sooner rather than later.

>[ ] Search the tavern. It's practically untouched, so you stand a good chance of finding something, at least.
>[ ] Search the houses. Who knows, you might get lucky. Plus, you need clothes.
>[ ] You'll rough it. How hard could it be to find someone selling the essentials?

>>
>>1515834
>>[ ] Search the houses. Who knows, you might get lucky. Plus, you need clothes.
>>
Whoops, dozed off last night, sorry about that. Live in 30.
>>
>[x] Search the houses. Who knows, you might get lucky. Plus, you need clothes.

You propose combing through the village for supplies before heading out, or more specifically, the houses. Emelie concurs, giving a thoughtful nod as you speak. Without wasting a moment, you head out the door, eager to take the first step toward making some sense of your strange situation.

The houses, as you noted yesterday, seem to have already been looted of most of their valuables. That said, it doesn't take long before you've assembled the essentials- a pack for you and your companion, a waterskin, a tent, and several changes of clothes. You begin packing everything away, satisfied with this modest haul.

Emelie is waiting just outside, looking on as you proudly display your finds. "Are we ready, then?" You're about to give the okay when something catches your eye- the two untouched houses, possibly holding any number of desirable amenities inside. Of course, you'd have to find a way of opening them, but it could prove worth your while...

>[ ] At worst, you'll be leaving a bit late. What's the harm? "Actually, I wanted to try..."
>[ ] Maybe not. You've already stolen enough, haven't you? "Let's hit the road."

>>
>>1518247
>>[ ] At worst, you'll be leaving a bit late. What's the harm? "Actually, I wanted to try..."
Do they have root cellars that lead to the kitchen?
>>
Went to eat dinner, let's try this again.
>[x] At worst, you'll be leaving a bit late. What's the harm? "Actually, I wanted to try..."

It's definitely worth checking out the two locked houses, you think.

"Actually, I wanted to try getting inside these." You walk over to the house on your right, closest to the cliffside. "Do you think there's any way we could bust the doors down?"

Emelie gives a half-hearted shrug. "It's probably not impossible, but I doubt either of us are that strong." She's right, the door seems exceptionally sturdy, barely budging even from a kick. Definitely locked, too- the handle has no give whatsoever. The same is true of the house opposite.

But then, you're struck by a brilliant idea. Maybe these houses have root cellars? You go around back to find... nothing. Not a single one. Dejected, you go to check the houses on the other side. Your heart sinks. Once again, no such luck.

You can't give up yet. Walking back around to the front, you stare at that front door, looking for a point of weakness. Something, anything at all... but it's in vain. Out of frustration, you kick the door. Then again.

"H-hey, don't hurt yourself...!"

>[ ] Get angry! This door is no match for your mighty boot!
>[ ] Wait, don't do that. You've got some walking to do, after all.

>>
>>1518875
>>[ ] Write-in: __________________________
Try busting in a window?
>>
>>1518875
>>[ ] Wait, don't do that. You've got some walking to do, after all.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.