[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Trek Suicide, Episode 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: jllk.jpg (356KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
jllk.jpg
356KB, 612x380px
Just as you return to the bridge, after taking the captain to the sickbay for food poisoning, the alarms explode. "Doctor," you hear from one of the side consoles in an Indian accent, "Captain Graves named you as her second-in-command. It's up to you." Looking down from the burning ship on the viewscreen, it's quick to get up to date. A civilian Federation cruiser is sending out distress signals from just inside the Klingon neutral zone which you are skirting. Crossing it is against the agreements that are the only thing formally keeping the Federation and the Klingon Empire from full-out war. On the other hand, such a civilian cruiser can hold tens of thousands of people. Leaving them all to sink out here in space would make the legendary Titanic's demise centuries ago look like just another old, tired fisher disappearing at sea one night. "Doctor," is repeated in Indian accent. "Awaiting your orders."

>What the fuck do you do, doctor?
>>
>>1496799
Do tractor beams work? We could pull them in with it.
>>
>>1496799

Damn it QM! I'm a doctor, not Jim Kirk! I didn't hack the Kobayashi Maru simulation to make the Klingons fear me!
>>
>>1496816

You're suddenly reminded of watching your father fishing out the a key that had fallen through a grate on the street by tying a string to a stick he tore of a tree in a nearby park. "Employ tractor beams, Officer Ramachandran," you say calmly, leaning over the captain's console with both your hands. "Running calculations, Sir," the young Indian replies. For some reason his eyepatch makes his other eye look like it's bulging, as if desperately trying to make up for the lack of one eye. "No go, Sir, at this distance and with the size of their cruiser, we are the ones who will get pulled towards it." At the viewscreen there is an explosion at the side of the Federation cruiser. "Patching through transmission, Sir," you hear someone behind you. "Help us! Help us!" The message is followed by the sound of an explosion.

>What do you do, doctor?
>>
Plot a course for the nearest star! And fly into it!
>>
>>1496847

"Plot a course for the nearest star. And fly into it." The bridge that was one moment ago buzzing with activity turns completely quiet. "Doctor Shakespeare," executive officer Ramachandram finally says. "This is no time to be joking. The captain is in the sick bay and tens of thousands of lives are stake. You don't really mean to kill us all?"

>What do you do, doctor?
>>
>>1496876
did I say question those orders? Star, fly into!
>>
>>1496931

"Did I say question those orders? Star, fly into!" The consoles power off around us. One of the walls opens up like a door and a pudgy, older man with a beard in a yellow suit comes in followed by a thin, tall man with pointy ears. Admiral Barrows and his young, highly promising assistant the Vulcan Spock. You've heard the latter is only half Vulcan, but he seems twice as bad as most Vulcans to you. Probably feels insecure about having feelings and overdoes the whole cold and logical thing. "Goodness gracious, woman," Admiral Barrow growls at you. "What are you doing? Do you have any idea how expensive it is to perform a Kobayashi Maru test? This is money that could be used in war. You may be costing us Federation lives." Spock, standing just behind Barrow, doesn't look very approvingly at you either.
>>
>>1496942
Lives, lives are a fleeting thing, but you might be right, a star is too risky, Set course for the nearest black hole! Fly right into it as fast as this ship will go!
>>
>>1496948

"Doctor Shakespeare," the young Spock says, "I don't think you understand. This is a simulation." The admiral turns towards officer Ramachandram, "Has the captain been acting weirdly otherwise today? Might her mind be sick in some way? This is truly unusual and disrespectful behavior." Spock looks at the admiral, "I've heard of certain cases where psychosis has been caused by nervousness. Might this be such a case?"

>What do you do, doctor?
>>
>>1496963
find a phaser.
>>
>>1496963

Stand up and brush ourselves off

"You presented me with a nonsensical test, I have given a nonsensical, all of Starfeelt knows the Kobayashi Maru test is a personality quiz, not something you can win at. And any game with no win condition has no meaning."
>>
>>1497031

Dammit, *nonsensical answer
>>
>>1497031

"You presented me with a nonsensical test, I have given a nonsensical, all of Starfleet knows the Kobayashi Maru test is a personality quiz, not something you can win at. And any game with no win condition has no meaning." The entire crew murmurs while the admiral and his young Vulcan assistant look flabbergasted. "But for this personality test to work, you have to give it your best shot," Spock finally speak. "If you make a joke of it, there is no way to actually measure your personality. You have wasted Federation resources. I must respectfully insist that the admiral orders a court martial and that doctor Shakespeare is arrested." You suddenly notice a small figure emerging from the shadow behind the admiral and the Vulcan. It's a small woman, no taller than to the assistant's elbows, with white hair to the back of her thighs and blue eyes. It's Vivian Detroit, the psychologist assigned to your training. "You speak outside your area of expertise, assistant Spock," she says, a playful smile that surprisingly does no harm to her otherwise always dignified shyness. "This reaction has told me plenty about Doctor Shakespeare. She is highly down to earth while also apt at outside-the-box solutions. Meanwhile she is something of a passionate romantic, evidenced by how strongly she stands by her unusual decision. To be frank, for a doctor this is one of the best results of the Kobayashi Maru I have ever seen. It indicates pragmatism, skill at invention and empathy. Not only does Doctor Shakespeare pass, she passes with flying colors." For a moment the crew looks, if anything, even more confused than while you were telling them to fly into the sun. Suddenly the entire room erupts into applause. Spock, blushing, looks back and forth before finally looking up at you again with ice in his eyes. "That means, I believe, that Captain Grave's crew is ready to depart for Klingon border patrolling next thursday as scheduled." You swallow. A part of you was trying to fail, or if not -- at least to be assigned to another ship as sometimes happens at the end of training. Captain Elisabeth Graves's hatred for the klingon, that has become apparent the more you have gotten to know her, seems completely unsuited for a Starfleet captain. Are you really just going to go along with this almost suicidally fanatical Klingon racist? Maybe you should request to be moved to another ship, or discuss it with command before it's too late?
>>
>>1497158

We shouldn't discuss it with the crew but when we get our assignment we should talk to them off line about it, I am willing to bet that Starfleet on some level is aware of this particular powderkeg and would expect the concern. No sense in airing out dirty laundry in front of the troops though
>>
>>1497178

You decide to rather bring up Captain Grave's strange behavior in private after getting the assignment. With the test complete, you agree to have a celebration with some of the colleagues you have become the closest too at the academy. The psychologist Vivian Detroit decides to join you as well. Walking through the streets of Neo-Stockholm hover cars pass the glass railings along the streets and the smell of Asian spices intermingles with the sweet, synthetic smell of the positron engines that run the atmosphere generators. The light from the glasshouse that covers the traditionally Swedish city looks especially pale today, like seen through a fog, reflected against the shiny exteriors of the storefronts you pass together. Federation police, carrying a homeless man on each their side, pass you and throw him into the back of a hover van as he begs for mercy. The door is quickly thrown shut behind him. Everyone who knows what's best for them pretends like they didn't see anything. Just like homosexuals eventually "didn't exist" in 21th century Russia and North Korea, there is no such thing as poor people in the Federation. There is no money here after all, not if you're lucky enough to live in the cities anyway.

In the dark corner of a bar you seat yourself with your friends. There is Captain Graves, a beautiful tall redhead with black bags under her eyes looking as morose as ever; Spider, a 8 feet tall alien covered in black metal plates who can only communicate through moods he creates with pheromones and writing; the young psychologist Vivian Detroit looking as wise as ever with her mysterious white hair; the lighthearted, eye-patched Indian officer Ramachandran who you once heard a rumour bought his wife who is far too beautiful for him from the Indian slums, which of course don't exist; and finally the cheerful, slightly naive blonde Vulcan Ellie who suffers from something parallel til Asperger's syndrome for humans which makes her blonde and very emotional despite being a Vulcan. The robot bartender wheels up to your table. You're bit hungry and they have food here. You've also heard you can get forbidden Romulan ale here if you know how to ask for it, but that's risky.

>What do you order?
>>
>>1497222
>insert drug into own system for 'testing'
I aint doing this sober
>>
>>1497222

Get ourselves some classic fish and chips and a pint of one of their seasonals, hand brewed preferably, everyone insists that the replicator makes no discernible difference but damned if we can't taste one
>>
Attempt to overdose.
>>
>>1497249

"Just fish and chips, please," you say. "And a pint of one your seasonals. Handbrewed if possible." The robot makes affirmative, electronic noises. "Everyone insists that the replicator makes no discernible difference," you feel like explaining to your company, "but damned if I can't taste one." In the media someone is always whining about sentimentalists wasting human resources on having things handmade. Possibly government paid.

"Well," says Vivian Detroit smiling, "Even if there's no difference on an atomic level our preconceptions about things does affect how they taste. For example wine does really taste better if you pay more for it. It's scientifically proven." As if she didn't hear it Captain Graves asks for an expensive red wine and some salty liquorice to go with it, popular among the rich as a palate cleanser between sips. When I first met her I thought she was showing off, but her love for these type of luxuries seems genuine after I've found her a couple of times snacking at them on the strangest occasions.

Vivian Detroit asks for a chicken sandwhich, notably from a replicator, and Spider releases a pheromone which makes everyone feel hopeless despair for a single second. It never fails to shock me. It's one of the reasons most people can't stand his kind, even if they are one of the Starfleet's most powerful weapons, that his kind say no this way. Due to their lack of necessary ligaments, they can't simply wave their hand.

Officer Ramachandran orders bourbon on the rocks and Vulcan Ellie asks for a raspberry muffin and milkshake, giggling all the way. She is like a child off-duty. While the servant robot is away officer Ramachandran and Vivian Detroit begin to chat about cultural difference. Spider sits calmly, Captain Graves's snugged eyebrows suggest suffering and Ellie moves her upper body back and forth. It takes me a moment to notice the classical music playing in the background, just underneath all the noises from the streets and neighbouring tables. It's a lighthearted My Bloody Valentine remix from the 22nd century.

>What do you do while you wait for the food to arrive?
>>
>>1497734

Let's talk to Vivian, how did she pull everything she learned from the test and how were the observers reacting?
>>
>>1497770

"Yes, it's truly a pity how little value family ties have in contemporary Federation culture, officer Ramachandran. A strong family is the core to a happy life, all science points towards it. You should be proud of how your people are still able to stick to their roots in the way they do."

"Did you hear about that senator who was arrested for homosexuality?" Ramachandran asks.

"Yes, it's truly a horror," Detroit replies, shaking her head. "That someone like that could get into such a high position. The thought of men being together like that makes me sick."

"I wish someone like Kathy Peach would win the elections. Now she understands family!" Ramachandran finishes, exclaiming in his Indian accent.

As soon as there is a pause in the conversation between Vivian and Ramachandran, I break in. "I have to ask, doctor Detroit ..."

"Vivian is fine," she says, turning towards me and beaming.

"Vivian ... How did you pull everything you said in the test out from my actions?"

"Oh," she says, her face darkening as if annoyed by me bringing up work at a time like this, "Your refusal to play along with the simulation was what suggested pragmatism to me. At the same time the way you went about displaying this was highly unusual, so you're imaginative as well. Meanwhile everything you did was so full of passion, which means that you're sensitive. And being sensitive means your empathetic. Which is great for a doctor. Do you know Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? I would guess you are an ISFP. It's a pity most ISFPs do not have the patience for theoretical subjects. In all other ways you would make perfect doctors."

"How were the other observers reacting?"

"You really did a number on them. That nervous Vulcan looked horrified from beginning to end. The admiral, who always looks like he can't wait to get back to his historical studies, seemed genuinely puzzle. Honestly if I didn't know better from your record, I would have thought you were trying to fail. Even if it would give more accurate results if people did the tests as instinctively as you did, most cadets try to safe it at least just a little. But I guess that speaks even of your character ..."

Ramachandran's bourbon and Ellie's milkshake arrive, but the rest of the orders still haven't come. Captain Graves sneezes and everyone looks at her for a second, before she retreats into herself again. Spider is still as a statue, but I know he appreciates our company very much from his writing.

>What do you do?
>>
>>1497819

Talk to Captain Graves, ask about the ship as we suspect we might have an assignment there
>>
>>1497871

"So Captain Graves," I say to the corner where she is sitting and looking solemn. "It appears I'm going to be on your ship."

"Yes," she says. Her piercing eyes make me look down as she lectures me. "We're being given one of the prototype models for something called the Enterprise, which is going to be used to explore new frontiers in space if the test phase is successful. It should even be more powerful than a normal patrol ship. On the other hand, it is quite unstable." Like always Graves almost whispers when she talks. "We could all die for no reason at all." I doubt anyone who isn't used to it, me specifically, can understand much of it and Vivian quickly goes back to talking to Ramachandran. Occasionally Ellie argues her liberal politics to them to much patronizing. Sometimes Vivian relents a little.

It's almost as if Graves is saving her voice for when she is on the bridge. When she gives commands it booms over the entire room and you feel yourself compelled to instantly do as she asks, even if you might not fully understand or agree.

The wheeled robot arrives, quickly handing out a multitude of plates with its many long, thin metal arms extending from an opening on what would be the closest thing resembling a chest on it. You try a couple of chips before taking your first bite of the fish. Delicious. If only it didn't have so many calories ... But you don't have to worry about that under special occasions. Ellie, who marvels at her raspberry muffin, seems to share the sentiment.

>What should you do while you eat?
>>
>>1497956

Just join in the chatting for a bit, get to know the folks we might be serving with. Try to get a chance to talk with Vivian away from the Captain so that we can air our concerns about the mission assignment.
>>
>>1497968

By the time I've gotten to the end of my plate of fish and chips, most of the others have been sitting there impatient with their empty drinks for a while. Vivian is really taking her time with her chicken sandwhich though and Captain Graves still isn't halfway through her wine bottle and liquorice. Ellie commends me for passing the test one final time, but says she has a poetry reading she wants to get to. Ramachandran gets an urgent call for his wife, and soon after Spider leaves -- probably feeling self-conscious about being alone with women -- but not before making us all very happy for a few seconds, which is his kinds way of thanking.

When Captain Graves goes to the bathroom I take my chances with Vivian. "Excuse me ... There is something I've been meaning to bring up with higher authorities."

Again she gives me that disapproving look. I wonder if she even likes her job.

"I'm having second thoughts about Captain Graves as a captain. About her mental health."

"I assure you," she says after a while, picking at some of the crumbs left on her plate, "that Captain Graves passed the Kobayashi Maru as well as you did and that she has passed all the necessary examinations pertaining to mental health and stability. Not just anyone is elected for captain duty in the first place."

Captain Graves studying illegally attained, Starfleet documents to figure out how to become a captain comes to mind. But if I told anyone about that, Graves would be court martialed and she's still my friend, right?

"She has certain misgivings about the Klingon ...," I make an attempt to explain.

"Naturally, the girl was only 7 when her entire family was tortured and killed in front of her eyes." Vivian talks almost as if I'm insulting her questioning the captain. Despite how small and subtle she generally is, you can feel great power from this woman and a strong appreciation for loyalty towards one's positions. "Apparently the Klingon raiding party left her alive, simply because they thought it would be a fate worse than death for the young girl."

"I don't think you understand, Vivian. She really wants to kill Klingon. That's the only reason she joined Starfleet, the only thing she cares about. She looks euphoric and spits when she talks with a big and scary grin on her face when she really gets going about it. Once when she got drunk she slept over at my place and I kept waking up at night hearing her scream and laugh, talking about how she was going to torture Klingons in her sleep. As border patrols, won't our highest duty be to try to avoid a war with the Klingons? I'm afraid that Captain Graves may be exactly the kind of person to cause one."

"Doctor Shakespeare," Vivian says, looking very serious, "These are some very serious accusations you are making."

>Should you really betray your friend like this? In what manner should you continue this conversation?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.