[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qtg/ - Quest Thread General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 392
Thread images: 41

File: 1490929410284.jpg (79KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490929410284.jpg
79KB, 800x800px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads. Or at least it was, in times long gone. All it is now is another tomb full of ghosts howling shitposts into the graveyard known as /qst/.
It also used to be a place to share advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. The only advice worth giving now is LEAVE.

Please do (not) shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. This means you, as you can't be anything else since you are posting in this thread.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/u5xPbk6w
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities. It should also say to stay away from /qst/ but doesn't for some reason.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal. Enjoy being cyberstalked!

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics, and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anima)
>slightly related to quests
>barely related to quests
>enjoys politics
>enjoys Larro quests and anime
No comment needed.

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, but shitposting is a bannable offense) ----> Most Nonindicative Sentence Ever Award:
https://discord.gg/pXfcXZJ

http://qst.wikia.com
This abortion of a wiki gives brief summations of quests and QMs as well as quest culture in general. Additions are encouraged.

Archive of quest reviews (if you find a review that is not on the list, please link it in the thread):
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive

>QM Question
Why are you still here?

>Player Question
See above.
>>
>>1351980
>Why are you still here?

Stubbornness and spite. Or as it's more commonly known, idiocy.

Anyways I'm putting together shit for a new quest, one where the mechanics heavily involve customization of player equipment, most notably, in this case, of a car-sized walking robot used for exploration.

What do people generally want to change or affect the most with this sort of thing?

If anybody has any experience, positive or negative, to share, I'd appreciate hearing that to.
>>
File: freeshrugs.jpg (84KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
freeshrugs.jpg
84KB, 449x642px
>>1351980
Every time I don't make the /qtg/ it's always so shitposty.
>>
>>1351980
>Player Question
Because I find it fun you twat.
>>
Why are we here on /qst/? Just to suffer?
>>
>>1351980
>QM Question

I feel obligated. Also quest running keeps me oddly spry.

Ps. Space Hero Quest is running over here:
>>1351961
I'd appreciate any thoughts, even the inexplicably hostile ones.
>>
>>1351980
>QM Question
>Why are you still here?
I'm not, I've migrated to Akun though I can't tell so far if it's been for the better.

>Player Question
>See above.
Because there still are some good quests that manage to survive here.
>>
>>1351980
People have fun with my quests
I have fun with my quests

Simple
>>
>>1351980
You are one dramatic faggot OP
>>
File: shrug.jpg (56KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
56KB, 554x439px
>>1351980
>>QM Question
Because I enjoy it.
>>Player Question
Because I enjoy it.
>>
Next person who makes a qtg thread should try and make it sound like one of Hitler's speeches. This is too much like a failed post apocalyptic intro.
>>
>>1352153
The first and most obvious issue I see is your opening post, which has a number of issues so I'll go through them one by one in no particular order.

First, is the quest called Space Quest, or Space Hero Quest? Your picture says one and your title says another. This is a bit of a nitpick compared to the rest but your OP picture is essentially your billboard or your book cover. It's an important first impression to any scrolling by and it needs to be your quest's main ad. The picture itself is somewhat nice and looks like a good quality, however.

Second, you have no links to any archive. This is a critical and potentially fatal mistake. Link to your thread's archives in your first post as close to your title as possible so it's visible from the catalog if possible. It is your most important lifeline because without an easily accessible archive, you can kiss any potential player growth past the first thread goodbye.

Third, you have no link to your twitter. Same thing, it needs to be front and center, visible from the catalog. People like to say twitter isn't a requirement, but apart from a few very well known exceptions, you absolutely need a twitter or sufficient twitter substitute to allow you to quickly and easily communicate your run times to players.

Those are just the issues in the OP, beyond that, your updates are tiny. You could get away with that on tg but here you need to get more content out in your updates. This doesn't mean that you have to fill up the post limit every time, but the fewer players you have voting, the more you need to cut out mundane decisions and get quality content posts out in a timely manner. You're running a new quest on a freakishly slow board, and you're spending too much time waiting for votes that don't really determine anything of major consequence. You really don't have the player count to dedicate two votes plus and a write in just to get the main character to make coffee. Your first two or three posts should have been condensed into an opening post where the main character wakes up, groggily messes with the coffee machine followed by a humorous scene of contemplating drinking the resulting caffeinated sludge, then something plot relevant should happen that actually requires a vote. The rest is of no relevance and doesn't even involve other characters, so it isn't even offering decent character building, just needless votes over coffee.

So far in the thread, nothing has actually happened, and none of the votes have really mattered. You are wasting time and votes on scenes that should just play out on autopilot, and all it does is kill the pace. I don't know what's going on, but by the time I get to the bottom of the page my interest is waning and I didn't even wait around for the updates to be written. Out of curiosity I looked back to the OP of your first thread, and I noticed that the post length is much better and has a more eventful pace.
>>
File: _catgif.gif (731KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
_catgif.gif
731KB, 250x167px
>>1352136
Why are we here on Earth? Just to suffer?
>>
>>1352437
What madness is this? Anons giving out actual advice? In /qtg/!?
>>
>>1352506
People do it often, actually. There's posts last thread and thread before that between the fjords of piss.
>>
Is it just me or are there more and more slide quest on the board. IE therapist anon. The think with the http thread name.
>>
>>1352521
I cannot for the life of me decipher what you're trying to say.
>>
>>1352608
I'm saying it looks like there are some quest being made on here to simply push other quest off the board or forum sliding. And I was citing those two threads as examples.

>>1351193
>>1347947

These clearly weren't threads made with actually running a quest in mind.
>>
>>1352437
>>1352506
actually, that second one is wrong. Full archives are important, but you sure as hell don't want it on your first post. The text you have on the catalog thumbnail is the first thing you see, make it count. Put the archive on the second post.

Third needs to emphasize twitter substitute more. It's good that you shill on qtg at all, because quite a lot of these shitty dead-in-the-water quests can't even manage that much. You can also try discord, for what good that'll do. I don't know how many people still use IRC.
>>
>>1351980

>QM Question
Because I've done this shit for so long, I don't know how to stop.
>>
>>1352929
That's just anons trying to make the board more lively by pushing off dead content with more dead content.
Or, if that crazy anon is to be believed, it's the mod.

>>1353243
You really should've never started.
You're the case where everyone would've been better off if you hadn't done anything at all.
You're a net negative, weasel.
>>
>>1353366

I know. Understanding that fact and coming to that conclusion is the hardest thing I've had to come to grips with since starting to frequently post on 4chan a decade ago.
>>
Starcaller Quest is live:
>>1353427
>>1353427
>>1353427
>>
>>1352437
Yeah, no about the links. Put a catchy paragraph summary in the first post, then your links. A mess of link-gibberish isn't great advertising.

So what are people reading right now? I popped in last week to read Audit Quest and Magical Academy Quest, caught up on Gorgon Child and now I'm all outta quests.
>>
>>1353534
>So what are people reading right now?
Currently? Tainted Earth Quest, I'm up. Quest, This Wretched Sea: Trawler Quest, Panzer Commander Quest, Lost in the Seventies Quest, and Masterpiece of a Shattered God Quest.
How are those 3 Quests? I haven't gotten around to skimming any of them; they didn't really seem to catch my interest.
>>
>>1353534
LGA 2 and Trawler Quest are the only quests I'm really reading properly at the moment, though I sort of follow Schteel's weekday quests too.
>>
>>1353534
I guess I'm only reading Exalted Quest now which feels weird since I remember following so many more before.
>>
>>1353579
Audit's about a auditor who's gotten cursed into running a dungeon after the former DM defaulted on his loan. The big draw is designing the dungeon - got to work out monsters, rooms and loot to make a satisfying dungeon experience. A little bit of personnel management too. It's pretty fun since I love these builder type quests.

Magical Academy Quest is by Larro too. It's about an elf infiltrating an all girls magic school on behalf of his school to steal their secrets. He's really bad at it. The suggesters are literally a magic orb that gives terrible advice to the noodly elf slut they've created.

Gorgon Child's very slice of life. It's about a child who is also a gorgon being brought up by her mother on the edge of a more normal town and keeping running into stranger things. I think she needs a little more agency sometimes but like I said, slice of life.
>>
File: Akko and Siobhan.jpg (574KB, 2240x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Akko and Siobhan.jpg
574KB, 2240x1260px
The Raiders, a quest about harembuilding and slave taking in the Astral Plane with githyanki girls and dragons, begins.

>>1354848
>>
So I haven't paid attention to /qst/ ever since the split, anyone mind giving me a general opinion on how it went and how many fears were realized how quickly?
>>
>>1353534
Reading Magical Girl For Hire, Black Company Quest (hoo boy), Paranoia Quest (HOO BOY), This Wretched Sea.

I love me some salt.
>>
>>1354907
I could just meme at you and say it couldn't have gone worse, but I'll elaborate.

So in the first place, this was a board made for people who didn't want it, for the sake of people bitching. That already is a guarantor for happy times.

I will be fair though and say that the accommodations made were nice. The text formatting options, for example. Some things that were mistakes in retrospect would have done fine on /tg/ and were probably only made because the board was trying a new thing; for example, the three day thread autosage mimicking the usual lifespan of a thread on /tg/ turned out to be a poor decision on /qst/, where many threads are just toast anyways and having a much longer time limit would be beneficial for longer running quests that don't do just one session anymore.

However, there isn't really much traffic through here besides from people exiled from /tg/. The name being an esoteric /tg/ name doesn't help matters, but there's also no banner for exposure, and when the board was in its trial phase it drowned under a deluge of low-effort shitposting which, while mostly absent these days, really didn't help the board look good when it started out, especially since most QMs elected to stay on /tg/ so /qst/ was for all practical purposes nu/trash/.

The shitposts died down and the move was forced making the board actually populated with something, but things aren't all that much better. It used to be that nearly anything would get players and be given a chance on /tg/, but that really isn't the case anymore with such a drastically reduced audience, and hardly any crossposters.

I wouldn't say the damage is irreversible but nobody really cares enough to try and fix things on the level they need to be fixed, hence the disparaging term of /qst/ as a containment board.
>>
>>1354943
I'd say this is pretty accurate.

Fun fact: /tg/ has not improved since quests were forced here.
>>
>>1355079
A good third or so of /tg/ is constantly generals
>>
>>1351980
Crusader quest returns when?
>>
Would a detective quest work in the style of Columbo?

Where the MC/Playerbase already knows the who is responsible and it's more about proving how they did it and destroying their alibis instead of the standard whodunit?
>>
Why is it that most 40k quests fail to deliver? I know, >40k >quests, but you'd think since we came from /tg/ there'd be at least one semi-decent one out there.
>>
>>1355131
Would be hard to run, but if you're up to it that certainly sounds interesting to me.

>>1355143
40k's changed a lot over the years and everyone likes different things about different eras of it, through the lenses of different interpreters. Some might really like Dan Abnett's more grounded, gritty grimdark take while others might like Rogue Trader's 80s hair metal aesthetics and tongue in cheek tone etc. And when a quest fails to offer those things a player likes about 40k, you've lost them. So it's a deceptive property, while it looks ripe for quests with its large existing fanbase, in actuality it's really a shittonne of the different fanbases with the same name.
>>
>>1354943
>I wouldn't say the damage is irreversible but nobody really cares enough to try and fix things on the level they need to be fixed
To be clear, are you talking about mod level 'fixing' or user level?
>>
>>1355343
What can be "fixed" is the mod/admin level site functions. Support for the board, so that is can grow.

See, /qst/ is here to stay. It's not going to be deleted, we're never going to be let back on /tg/. The decision's been made for all time.

However I think that /qst/ can work as a board, even if it isn't something I ever wanted or thought was a good idea. It's like any online community in that there needs to be more new blood coming in than old shit rotting away, and the way things are now, not enough new blood comes in for the board to sustain itself.

Make no mistake, it's plenty possible to have a successful quest, even now, even without being well known, even without having come over from /tg/. But most new QMs don't have this happen to them, and I believe it's due to this board's unique population consisting mostly of butthurt exiles.
>>
>>1355371
Sadly that's pretty much exactly what was claimed would happen in all the discussions on the topic. But at least there's a possibility for recovery and working, which is a lot more than I was expecting.

Thanks for the detailed responses.
>>
>>1355371
You can't force traffic anon, the art boards are dead as shit, some people don't know /f/ exists. What are they gonna do take up ad space for /qst/? Everyone here blocks ads. And a banner isn't gonna make someone go look at a board, bet bet would be to make an announcement like when it was first made and actually enforce board rules
>>
>>1352506
That's not just advice, it's critique. Advice is given all the time but almost nobody wants it because it requires them to actually look at their quest and use the given advice to analyze it. That takes effort!

What everyone seems to beg for is critique. That's a lot easier because it means having someone else do the analysis for you so all you have to do is read it and then give up after realizing that anon is STILL telling you to put effort into your quest. Hard!

That's why I stopped doing that a long time ago. Constructive criticism is the quickest way to kill new QMs.

>>1355131
I've yet to see a detective quest work.

>>1355377
What good would another announcement be though? Anyone who actually clicks it will see nothing but a board of people who want desperately to leave. You can't motivate the /qst/ "community" to look good when it doesn't even want to exist.
>>
>>1355376
The only place that seems to have been as active as /tg/ quests used to be is Spacebattles, which merged the old blood of it's PbP forum games with /tg/-style copycat quests. But the reason their Quest (and importantly, other kinds of forum games) boards works is because people went there to talk about science fiction as well as a larger userbase than /qst/. Which further proves that quests outside of the people that got into them don't have the inherent draw as other interest boards like anime, traditional games, guns, etc have.

The problem is that mods are cucks when it comes to any remotely NSFW stuff, having been burned by furshit and loli smut both there and on the Creative Writing (read Fanfic) board.
>>
File: IMG_0288.gif (84KB, 605x767px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0288.gif
84KB, 605x767px
>>1355143
40k is honestly a difficult series to set a quest in. Perhaps impossible if you wish to be true to the lore or somewhat serious.

The first problem is the tone of the setting itself. Many people confuse the Grimdarkness and Eternal War as something to be either fixed (a problem to be solved, that is) or something to ponder philosophically. But the truth is that it's Eternal War because it is the setting of a tabletop wargame and there needed to be a justification for why every side is at war with everyone including itself. The best thing to do is to recognize this and embrace it - not its ethos, but the opportunities that seemingly absurd mirror matches and impossible alliances can bring. Necrons and Blood Angels in an alliance of convenience? It can happen on the tabletop, so it can happen in the lore. Space Marines vs IG? IG vs Inquisition? Tau vs Tau? It can happen on the tabletop, so the lore accommodates it. The quest needs to accommodate it as well, and use it to create novel scenarios rather than tired cliches.

The second problem is the sheer variety of factions and the fact everyone has favorites but each faction often has its own tone that doesn't mix well with other factions - but at the same time every faction is both somebody's protagonist and somebody's hero. Orks are the best example of this, being both gleeful comic relief as well as a horde of civilization destroying vermin as well as easy cannon fodder for any machine gun position they blunder into. At the same time, Chaos might SEEM to be mustache twirlingly evil, but they consider themselves as the only people in the galaxy both sane and rational (the orks being, from Chaos' perspective, merely sane but stupid) as all concepts of order will inevitably fail and Chaos is just helping to fast forward to the end. And of course the Imperium fights for Humanity, the Eldar fight against Necrons and shit, etc etc.

But quests need choice, and choices need consequences. All of which are irrelevant in 40k. There will ALWAYS be war, nothing you do matters, after every win or defeat you pick up your toy soldiers and go home only to fight again some other time. That's 40k and that's why it makes for a shitty quest. A quest needs the opposite of that. Meaning, finality, structure, problems with solutions.
>>
>>1356142
> somebody's hero

Somebody's villain, excuse me.
>>
Rip Crusty
>>
>>1355143
Two words, anon.

Chapter Master.
>>
>>1356142
This is partly the problems Bruva ran into when making ETTSD, so he just said fuck it and started progressing the lore with his headcannon.
>>
After days of work kicking my ass, Closed Umbrella Quest continues:

>>1356542
>>1356542
>>1356542
>>1356542
>>
>>1356239
Chapter Master never really grabbed me. Even the recent spinoff thing that I saw in the catalog last week wasn't very gripping.
>>
>>1356580
Different strokes I guess. Wasn't there a Rogue Trader quest running recently? Did you look at that?
>>
>>1356597
There was one but it died afaik. No word from the QM. I think the only active 40k quests are the Guardsman one (which has serious writing problems) and Khornette (which I haven't read yet)
>>
>>1356580
>recent spinoff thing
Wasn't really a spinoff. I just grabbed the map and intended to post it then I remembered I had to use the OP image instead of the map and forgot to delete that line
>>
>>1356603
Ah, that's a shame. I know Chapter Quest is still active (though very off & on), and the Guardsman and Khornette quests.

What exactly would you be looking for in a 40k quest? What faction? Something low level and gritty like dark heresy? High adventure like Rogue Trader? Or more military-based like chapter quest/guardsman quest?

It is a shame there's not more, because although >>1356142 is right about some of the issues with playing 40k, I've never felt that the enjoyment depended entirely upon being able to change the state of the galaxy in a lore-breaking way. Just changing your own little corner should be enough. And the possible scenarios, characters and places you can use are massive.
>>
>>1356613
Faction doesn't really matter to me so long as the characters are well written. There should be clear goals that are reasonable for the MC and crew. Borrowing your words - more about changing a little corner than burning entire sectors.

RT-type games tend to be too sandboxy in my experience, rather than following a somewhat planned narrative. Guardsman/Spess Marine quests are hit or miss depending on how well the QM can write combat and how far down the /k/ rabbit hole they go. Can't say I've seen many Dark Heresy style quests.
>>
>>1356633
>'ve seen many Dark Heresy style quests.
Tried that. Sorta maybe died? Might try it on /qst/ if I ever feel bothered to
>>
>>1356681
How exactly does something "sorta maybe" die? What, you couldn't find its body? No ashes remained? Not even a thread archived prompt? How the fuck exactly does a quest "sorta maybe" die? Isn't it either not dead yet or plain dead? Really. There's no use to vague terms here.
>>
>>1356700
Had the Inquisitor ask the Acolyte how they should go about things because the inqy was tryint to groom him
Was a write-in vote got like two votes in twenty minutes iirc
Didn't run it again after that vote because life. Also there was a lot of memeing about yuri and shit so I guess once they figured I was doing a full smut 40k quest they bugged off
>>
>>1351980
>Why are you still here?

The story of the characters are not finished yet.
>>
File: red calcium negro.gif (30KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
red calcium negro.gif
30KB, 200x200px
>>1356716
Fuck that makes me mad for some reason.
Not the running a 40k smut quest part.
The life part.
Fuck life.

Hear me now prospective QMs, if there's even an ounce of chance that life can get in the way of your efforts to quest; give up on life and run your quest instead.
Mom needs call to remind you you're loved? Fuck that. Don't answer don't reply never call back.
Younger siblings need a ride? Fuck them it's time for a lesson in sibling irresponsibility and learning about who you shouldn't rely on (protip siblings: it's the "your family" episode!)
Gotta get to work to make money? Fuck that shit. Just get fired and live on coffee questing from one shitty internet cafe to another.
Gotta do class shit or go to lectures? Drop them. life success and progress are overrated and it's all for stupid morons running rat races anyways.
Baby crying and need their bottle so they don't get malnutritioned and fail their overpriced college sixteen years from now? Fuck that baby and fuck giving them a bottle. Run your goddamn quests. Just fucking run it you shit. RUN THE FUCKING QUEST. JUST FUCKING RUN YOU BITCH. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. NOTHING ELSE EVER MATTERED.

quests > irl
until you learn this
UNTIL YOU LIVE IT
you are not a true QM
>>
>>1356716
>figured I was doing a full smut 40k quest they bugged off
Figured I wasn't*
>>
>TFW Trick is a better QM than you
>TFW SOMINUS is a better QM than you

I want to fucking die so bad god damn it.
>>
File: 14.1.jpg (679KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14.1.jpg
679KB, 1920x1080px
For those interested, an update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
http://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/29-the-age-of-a-new-moon/4mHiSfnEtCb8zAujx
Lackeys in blue liveries
>>
>>1356716
Never do a write-in early in the quest. That's probably why you got so few votes.
>>
>>1356819
Was about 7 or so votes in

Thing is the quest was lively to that point then it just died
>>
>>1356824
Like I said, write-ins are notorious quest killers. Unless you have an established audience already who's willing to put some thought into them they're not a good idea.
>>
Are we allowed to promote our quests here or is that considered a shit move?
>>
>>1356923
Feel free. It's not going to get noticed anywhere else anon.
>>
>>1356923
Everybody does it. It isn't some guarantee you'll be noticed, so don't expect anything more than absolutely nothing.
>>
>>1356940
Well in that case, everyone should come and participate in Dragonball: Blue Star Quest!
>>
>>1356923
>>1356944
>>1356947
If you're advertising your quest, you should advertise it when you're running it and link to your quest's thread.
>>
>>1355686

Done. Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>1356809
>>TFW Trick is a better QM than you
He can be decent sometim-

>TFW SOMINUS is a better QM than you
I'm so sorry.
>>
>>1356809

I might be a better writer than you.

I might have a better imagination than you.

I might be more intelligent than you.

I might be better at improvisation than you.

I might be a better storyteller than you.

But I highly doubt I'm a better QM than you.
>>
>>1356809
Did you give up on a quest by throwing a rock atb your MC's head and knocking him down a hole? If not, I'd say you're doing all right
>>
Hey /qtg/! We just wrapped up chapter one over in Rimworld Quest, a low speed improvised quest about Rimworld! We have sooo many voters and readers as it is, but we're sure we could squeeze in one or two more, so feel free to drop by and have a read or cast a vote whenever you see an update!
>>
File: Archie Sad.jpg (16KB, 214x246px) Image search: [Google]
Archie Sad.jpg
16KB, 214x246px
>tfw Slaanesh pirate quest is gone
>>
I wish RL shit would move faster, I want to run a quest pretty damn badly.
>>
>>1357190
FUCKING RUUUUNNN
>>
>>1357210
when I can be on reliably to run it!
>>
>>1357232
NOT GOOD ENOUGH BITCH
FUCKING RUN YOUR GODDAMN QUEST
FFFRRRRRIIIIIDDAAAAAAAAY ARHAHARHAHRHARARGARGARGARGARGARGRGGGGHGHHHHHHHH
>>
>>1357267
I will run when I god damn have the time to run AND YOUR AUTISTIC ASS WILL LIKE AND TAKE IT YYEAAAARFAGHRAGHAGGA!
>>
What do you guys think of Rimworld quest?
>>
>>1357283
THAT'S THE GUSTO A REAL QM NEEDS
EVERYONE LEARN FROM THIS MAN

>>1357293
IS IT FUCKING RUNNING?!
>>
>>1356964
Dragonball: Blue Star Quest has been updated. I probably could have waited to promote the quest for when I was actually going to run it.
>>
Crusader quet 2.0 when?
>>
>>1355116
Never ever.

>>1357596
Never ever.
>>
File: walloping websnappers.jpg (18KB, 320x243px) Image search: [Google]
walloping websnappers.jpg
18KB, 320x243px
>Hey guys this is my first quest!
>im only running this quest cos im bored lol
>01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011
>>
The best thing that was ever on this board was the cultural civ games that appeared once it started up

Everything else is garbage , fuck you qst you killed quests
>>
>>1357596
Isn't crusader fantasy quest by the same author? It looks a lot like it.
>>
>>1357933
>implying /qst/ had anything to do with killing quests
You are directing your anger in a strange direction.
>>
Is there any reason to be here instead of anonkun? This board is excruciatingly slow. And it's not like the quality of quests are any different
>>
I'm actually here because I'm surprised QST is here.

I discovered that it even existed maybe, a month or two ago. And it sort of blew my mind.

I thought, if people are still doing this kind of game even though you can now play RPs over the net, just like in person on roll20, with voices and dice, there must be something this place is offering people.

NOPE.

Didn't turn out to be true, and that's a shame. The only thing unique about QST seems to be the ability to have a draw quest, something that you can only really do here, and on very rare drawing sites, and almost no one does it here.

The other thing that makes chan boards of any kind, kind of a bad idea for RP, is that to enjoy games you need a generally non hostile environment.

And of course this is 4chan so the quality of friendship here can only arrive at 'mutual non-hostility' at the very, very, best.

To truly enjoy games you sort of need a friendly environment and while qst is less hostile than 90% of most chan boards, you're still sort of on edge while playing a game waiting for some nutjob to ruin the game, and then of course, if that happens the nutjobs outnumber people who actually enjoy having a good time, or any random troll can just see stuff is 'going down' and join in on the flaming.

So you can't even gain up on the people who are ruining the game unless you're the QM. Because angry people outnumber people who want to have fun just as a general rule.

I've also found the best written games (usually) only get like two to three players max, so it's almost as if they might as well go on roll20 and play something in real time than waste their time using a forum.

Which leads me to the last point. Odd inconvenience.

Having this format for RPGs is also a bad format because of convenience. People not sure when a game is going to continue, players alternating because everyone is on different time zones and work schedules etc. these things happen everywhere, but they are pronounced on a forum as compared to having a gaming group.

People resort to having a twitter to follow about posted games, or using discord, but it just doesn't make up for the amount of randomness that is introduced by the forum format.

It lends towards discontinuity in both playing and QMing, although more so in playing. People who don't know the story at all making a write in, aren't necessarily going to enhance the game compared to someone who knows everything that's going on.

Not that that's the most important thing, it's just one small example of the randomness introduced by this format.
>>
>>1358451
I find myself agreeing with most of your points, save for

>I've also found the best written games (usually) only get like two to three players max

Somehow I have doubts about this, unless you cede that "best writing" doesn't necessarily translate to "best quest." After all, there are factors besides the writing that decide whether a quest is successful. Even relatively poorly written material can get a decent base if they make up for it by having fun interactions, snappy updates, the works.

I am also curious as to what you consider the best written games, that only get two or three players max, because from most things I've seen most quests with that sort of player count don't last long enough for quality of writing to be really shown.
>>
>>1358472
This is very true. I recall my players telling me they enjoyed the world and liked the writing, but it wasn't a very good quest at its heart.
>>
>>1358472
I think the confusion come from thinking I mean the opposite is also true. That popular quests aren't also good.

I just mean I find the best quests are rarely popular, but that doesn't mean popular quests are rarely good.
>>
>>1358472
>I am also curious as to what you consider the best written games

This is a good question. They're pretty rare, to the point where I'd have to search the archive to probably find the last example of one.

But because I know that expressing your opinion on here is inviting people to hate you, I won't.

The key word is 'I find' that the best quests. So in my personal taste, the best quests I've played here, usually only get about three players max.

They resemble table top games more than most quests on here.

Well written, usually have hooks, they have like a drive, a mystery or something you want to find out right from the start. Good dialogue.

They tend to attract mature players, I don't find as much hositility on them. But yes, they usually die because the QM doesn't want to keep going. (Probably due to the reasons I listed in my OP)

The two or three people that end up playing those games, don't leave them. It's always the same people showing up every single time, and I think that just makes it feel like an inconvenient version of a normal RP.
>>
>>1358451
I don't know man. Lots of games get quite a few players doing their thing.

Look at that Moe Drone thing. Play by post wargame with >10 players.
>>
>>1358514
>But because I know that expressing your opinion on here is inviting people to hate you, I won't.

You're really dipping my testicles in billberries here man.

Who cares about the opinion of "Anonymous ID:XXXXXX," I hear he's a faggot anyways. If people want to shit on other people's opinions instead of discussing what they like and why they like it for the sake of both parties' benefit, then that's on them, and the fact that they do it shouldn't limit what people talk about.

Besides I'm actually curious to see if they're anything that wasn't constantly repeated a few months ago when people asked "hey what quests are good." If they are, nothing wrong with that, after all, a consistently good quest over a long period of time is the best sort, it just lacks the sense of a discovery.
>>
I may have found the greatest Akun smut quest ever.
>>
>>1358707
Which one?
>>
>>1358451
If your impression of quests is that they may as well be played on roll20 then you don't understand the point of quests and neither did the people running the ones you've looked at.

I can understand that though, since the existence of /qst/ also undermines the central point of quests. Part of the reason why starting a quest on /qst/ is inherently pointless and why I can only pity the people who do so regardless.
>>
>>1358735
https://anonkun.com/stories/a-shapeshifters-quest/SWNroDXr4KZigA6sc/home
>>
Do you think we'll ever be able to go back to /tg/?
>>
File: DS.jpg (1014KB, 1200x1575px) Image search: [Google]
DS.jpg
1014KB, 1200x1575px
>>1358451
>To truly enjoy games you sort of need a friendly environment
Yeah, right.
>Having this format for RPGs is also a bad format
No, it's just different. It seems like quests in general simply don't really appeal to you.

That is to say, /qst/'s creation was a mistake, the board is an abomination and should be abolished. It is actively killing quests on 4chan.

Also, discover Anonkun.
>>
>>1358816
Quests should get back to being allowed on any and all boards.
>>
>>1358816
Refer to
>>1357607

Nobody wanted this in the first place. It was gone through with anyways. If the people in high places really cared about what we actually wanted the most, they wouldn't have made this board in the first place. As far as anybody but us is concerned we should be thankful we're allowed to exist.

We have our cell and our bed now, there's naught to do but lie in it and dream.
>>
File: MAPDATE30.png (54KB, 1907x860px) Image search: [Google]
MAPDATE30.png
54KB, 1907x860px
considering bringing back my shitty civ thread series

anyone remember it?
>>
File: Cover Page 4.png (663KB, 1000x650px) Image search: [Google]
Cover Page 4.png
663KB, 1000x650px
I'm gonna poke my head in here and advertise that 'I'm up.' is going to be running for about 5 more hours tonight, then all day Wednesday and Thursday (with a lunch break, probably). These aren't regular hours right now, but they could be soon.

This session is going to be about recovery and have a lot of story, with a little bit of combat on the side. If that's you're thing, we'd love to have you.

>>1351617
>>1351617
>>1351617
>>
>>1358915
(I did the your, you're screw up. Shame is heavy on my shoulders.)
>>
>>1359062

first time doing this, let's hope it isn't absolute ass
>>
File: Nothing but clouds.jpg (261KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing but clouds.jpg
261KB, 1920x1200px
>>1359222
Shameless advertising
>>
>>1358836
>we should be thankful we're allowed to exist

Fucking house nigger
>>
>>1359502
Please explain the meaning of the house nigger.
>>
>>1359506
Google it next time

it means he's a mod cocksucker saying we have it so good with our shitty board because mod deemed it so
>>
>>1359534
I'm sorry you're incapable of reading.

> As far as anybody but us is concerned we should be thankful we're allowed to exist.

You see the "As far as anybody but us is concerned?" That means "everybody except us." As in, "people who don't have to deal with this, and don't use this board."

You can't dispute that we've been crumpled into a ball and thrown in the garbage, and pointing out the fact that nobody will bother listening no matter how much we cry about it isn't being a "house nigger." It's being realistic. They didn't care back when the descision was made, why would they care now? They wouldn't is the answer.

By the way, "house nigger" wouldn't even accurate because people actually want those. "Gypsy" would be more accurate.
>>
>>1359546
At least we still have our shitposting, eh?
eh..
>>
>TFW you really want to make a quest but have no fucking clue what to do.
>>
>>1359667
Here's an idea from me to you.

Run a Digimon and Monster Hunter fusion-verse for a Quest. Put in all the RPG conventions and have your Questers fight alongside Digimon of their choosing.
>>
>>1359675
>>1359667
It might just be because I have shit taste but I'd play that.
>>
>>1359667
learn to write good
make no plans at all
fly by the seat of your pants for several years
>>
>>1359685
It was an idea I had when I was in Japan back in December and seeing a display with Digimon and Monster Hunter side by side. The hard thing about running this sort of thing would be the loot functions. Story-wise, it'd be easy.
>>
>>1359685
>>1359675
That would be cool if I knew anything about Digimon or Monster Hunter, lol.
>>1359688
I like to think I'm okay at writing, but it's just the creative process that I struggle with.
>>
>>1359700
Whats your favorite genre?
>>
>>1359698
digimon and monster hunter are fairly compatible.

but why the fuck would you even consider suggesting a rookie QM to make an extensive loot system?
>>
>>1359700
Horror/Thriller or Medieval
>>
>>1359707
It's the reason why I pointed out that it would be a problem.
>>
>>1359710
but it's not just "hard", trying it at all when you're not even practiced at regular QMing is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>1359704
Oopsa daisy, meant to reply to you, here: >>1359708
>>
>>1359708
>>1359749
Horror will literally never be done correctly in a quest, so medieval it is.
Now pick a premise.
>>
>>1359751
I dunno, end of the world came early?
>>
>>1359755
Alright a medieval setting where the old fucks who carved shit into walls were off on their dates.
Who is the mc and how does this affect him?
>>
>>1359761
Farmer/Peasant with a family, have to leave flee from home before bandits and barbarians fuck over their now unprotected/unguarded town. Probably a bit edgy and not too original, but I like the idea of it.
>>
>>1359771
Now run it.
>>
>>1359775
Okay. Thanks.
>>
>>1359777
But not on a Tuesday.
>>
>>1359778
>>1359777
No right now.
>>
>>1359780
>>1359778
k
>>
File: 1478133034440.jpg (12KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1478133034440.jpg
12KB, 229x343px
>>1359781
>running just after 1AM
These new QMs and their loose cannon style.
>>
>>1359788
I wasn't going to run tonight anyways, lol
>>
>>1359790
Thank christ.
>>
>>1359565
Not really. You actually have to have content to do that.
>>
>>1359751
A Matter of Taste.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=a+matter+of+taste
>>
>>1359915
Point.

I mean, I guess I could just look earlier in the thread and prev. QTGs to see even shitposting is on its way out. At least we have our memories.
Until Lord Licorice's archive dies.
>>
Would anyone be willing to participate in a Civ thread?
I'm able to run usually on Tuesday's Wednesdays and sundays.
>>
File: gattsu.jpg (93KB, 531x252px) Image search: [Google]
gattsu.jpg
93KB, 531x252px
>>1360309
>quests are dying so I'll run a non-quest
I admire your spunk.
>>
>>1360309
No. I'm quite confident it'll be just a waste of my time.
Have you had a look at the civ threads here? One third fail to get off the ground at all. Another third just stop updating after a few updates or after an ok first thread a second one fails to manifest. And the remaining third consists of the successful ones who are already way past the first thread.
>>
>>1360313
Well I was hoping that if I was active enough that I'd be able to get past that first few shaky threads
>>
>>1360322
Well, good luck to you then.
Your success would be quite the upset of the 2017 /qst/ civ league, then!
>>
>>1360327
Hopefully. I'll get a few ideas ready and launch it on sunday. I'll have a full 12 hours to run then.
>>
>>1360322
Reg. QMs think much the same.
Remember though, one thread lasts more than a week. Four threads can last more than a month, up to a month and a half or six weeks and 2-3 days assuming you run subsequent sessions in the same thread until they fall off the board. That's a lot of shakiness to deal with, and beginning is definitely the hardest part. The nature of /qst/ extends this uncozy period, so if you're to die you'll die slowly. Try not to think about this.

In your case of running three days a week, assuming a sizeable session of >>1360334 12 hours which is pretty damn big, that's 216-240 hours for four threads with three sessions each over one and a half months.
Although I recall fairly insane QMs of the past running five or seven days a week at 7 to 10 hours a night you've still set a very considerable goal. Best of luck.
>>
>>1360339
Well I'd do around 24 hours a week
12 on Sunday then 6 on each of Tuesday and Wednesday. I could most likely go longer on Tuesday Wednesday since I don't do much after work.
>>
>>1360344
I'm concerned that might not lend itself to a gripping pace, but I know little about the pace of modern civs.

But you've hinted at something I wonder about.
People come into the QTG asking about run times on occasion, how long they should run and whatnot, and say they can run x amount of hours because they have those hours free.

Push comes to shove when they're halfway through a session and it becomes very apparent they've never written intermittently for 6-10+ hours straight (quality drop, consistency errors), audience or not, mechanics or not; with or without breaks; Quest or Civ or freewriting.

The realest advice I can offer is practice your consistency before you put it up for play. With general writing, GMing, or something in between. An anon said something of good writing not being indicative of a good quest, and this is true for anything that is at its heart some form of game. Civs, PnP tabletops with atrocious mechanics, Quests, whatever.
An extension to the point he made is that you should know the level of quality you want to deliver, and your ability to make it consistently before you have to. This is just words on pages or images in photoshop you can read back or look at and say "good enough, this meets all my intents." It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to minimize mistakes and be consistent with itself, and that's really all it takes to change someone's mind from "this isn't worth playing" to "this person isn't constantly making mistakes and apologizing, maybe this is worth hanging onto for a couple more updates." And there is only a small difference of cognizant practice between these.
Double this if you ever find yourself wanting to run a more narratively focused game.
>>
>>1360369
See this is the main reason I wanted to ask here first. I can get tips and other pointers from other people. I've done quite a bit of GMing in the past but now I need to focus on minimizing my mistakes
>>
File: 1488155408525.png (132KB, 770x513px) Image search: [Google]
1488155408525.png
132KB, 770x513px
https://anonkun.com/stories/symbiote-quest-20/nLFhaigrSfd8Kdqfr/issue-14-real-american/ZvMBBnJfJ9Wa7fH6e

Wrote the Electro vs Toxin scene with Electro's PoV
>>
>>1360389
Seriously, now I'm curious. Do you get any readers from advertising here at all?
>>
>>1360394
From what I remember yeah. Not all my players follow me on twitter or Akun
>>
>>1360394
>>1360394
Similarly I'm wondering if anyone still gives a shit that that Paladin of Avalon bloke is still doing his thing.
>>
>>1360399
I do. That's at least one.
>>
>>1360396
Ok, I was just curious. Because almost always your posts have zero replies and are genreally ignored by any and all thread discussion that might be going on.
>>
File: Dark and Edgy.png (68KB, 255x205px) Image search: [Google]
Dark and Edgy.png
68KB, 255x205px
>>1351980
>Player Question
It's F UCK NAZI MOD un and i want to try to *Slowly* help steer things in the right direction with *Meaningful and intelligent inputs* Cough

Here's a question, why are there so many half baked quests that peter out and die? If you're going to start a quest why do it so half assed and then give it up?

No seriously, if you are reading this and are were/ the owner of a half baked quest, why did you start it without being properly prepared? (And I'm not trying to bash people that are new to questing, It's just painfully obvious that some people have near zero idea of what to do, lot's of people decide they don't like the idea and drop it Etc.)

It breaks my heart to see so many quests in the process of dying after 11 posts or such because it's a stupid or troll idea, or there is just a massive lack of readiness to actually follow through on the idea.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 134x140px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 134x140px
Weeaboos
>>
>>1360841
the people who make half-baked quests don't come here. They see /qst/ the board, hear about the idea about it while clearly never reading a single actual quest, and then run a thread. And then they just leave it there open, expecting votes within the first 10 minutes without any advertising. And at the 30 min mark, they go I GUESS NOBODY CARES, as if people are expected to refresh the catalog every 5 minutes for most of their lives.

There are a few that notice votes 8 hours later and pump out an update or two, but then they hit the second road bump of definitely not being prepared to consistently write. The few that hit a good momentum keep going for one session, then say they'll come back the next day and realize that sucked way too much out of them. A few then decide to do it all again at step 1. They can't take criticism, don't change, and feel no obligation TO change despite taking just as much of other people's time as they do their own.

The few that DO come here did the half baked quest drunk or something, deliberately not prepared to do the long game. With the level anxiety that prospective qms profess here, I suppose you gotta convince yourself to take the plunge SOMEHOW.
>>
Almost all drawthreads are lolsorandum/die after 20 replies. All I want to do is read a nice drawquest; why are they so damn rare? Even the drawquests I make myself tend to die after the first thread or so.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1360981
Do you follow anything on tgchan? It's slow but its mostly drawquests.
>>
Battle Network Quest is up >>1361014
>>
>>1360998
Too much furry and smut for my taste
>>
>>1361076
Fair enough. I like it because I'm nowhere near fast enough to run on /qst/

As for drawquests being low effort or dying quickly, I think it's just you need someone who's decent at art and writing to suceed. Plus they need to able to do both quickly. Plus it's inherently higher effort because you've got art to do on top of the writing.

/qst/ should be a little more favourable to drawquests because of the slower pace and I think that has happened to some extent.
>>
File: HOL UP.jpg (8KB, 236x226px) Image search: [Google]
HOL UP.jpg
8KB, 236x226px
>>1361264

>As for drawquests being low effort or dying quickly

who thinks drawquests are easier than text quests!?
>>
>>1361433
No, I said you mostly see ones that are low effort or that die quickly because they are harder.
>>
>>1361264
Time of day and the whim of unknowns still makes a huge difference.

I had a draw quest I planned out really thoroughly AND I can draw decently, and quickly, and it literally got no replies at all.

When I asked why I finally got a reply from someone saying basically it was just hit or miss.

And I also play NotAPaladin's games and even he only gets one or two people on sometimes and his threads even die from time to time just from lack of people around.

And he also draws well, and quick, and has a ton of experience at what he does.
>>
>>1361582
Shame. Try tgchan or /trash/ if you want more responsiveness for your effort. /b/ still has random draw threads too if you don't mind the players.
>>
>>1361696
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1361720
Fair warning, /b/ is as /b/ as it's ever been. /trash/ is true to its namesake. tgchan is mostly furry smut.
>>
>>1361739
Hey now, it's only 50% furry smut, tops.
>>
Considering doing a text quest, something akin to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"
>A controversial director known for making ripoffs of other cartoons/animu (one film of which turned out a cult classic) is killed on the set during shooting for his latest shitty movie, ironically a detective film.
>His body is never found, and it's suspected a toon is responsible.
>As a half-toon (don't ask), you're the most impartial detective the force can find on such short notice.
>Find out who's responsible without getting killed.
One feature I was thinking of adding is that in addition to other changes, you're able to switch from human to toon and back again. As a human, you make decisions by number of votes, as toon the highest roll wins.
>>
>>1362502
>As a half-toon (don't ask)
I'm definitely going to ask.
>>
>>1362722
> Who Fucked Roger Rabbit?
>>
>>1362730
Wasn't Jessica a porn star in the original book?
>>
>>1362722
Fine. Famous toon got all lovey dovey with her human bodyguard and eventually an unusually large stork appeared with the kid. Happy? Because some of the fans sure weren't.
>>
I wonder if any quests that took place in medieval times, that had players trying to metagame history by magically knowing what gunpowder is, actually had anybody with a brain suggesting to invent the movable type block printing press instead.
>>
>>1362801
>I wonder if any quests that took place in medieval times, that had players trying to metagame history by magically knowing what gunpowder is, actually had anybody with a brain suggesting to invent the movable type block printing press instead.

Yes in fact.

My players in my Westeros Quest wanted to invent gunpowder and the printing press.
>>
>>1362806
At least shitting propaganda all over the place is timeless, unlike lolburningpowder.

Even if literally everybody's illiterate(which is unlikely), that's what the picture blocks are for.
>>
>>1362806
My favorite response is to have them also discover rabies, lead poisoning and toxic fumes as well.
>>
It's a bad idea to do three quests in a row with the same theme, right /qst/?
>>
>>1362829
Please, Schteel, If you do GuP Quest #3 I'll find out where you live! I swear!

Though, several QMs like Som or Merc seem to get by by rehashing the same shit in a new package and their readers gobble it up so what the fuck do I know about questing?!
>>
>>1362835

I've never had any readers. So I'm thinking that if do something different it might help cleanse the pallet and at the same time improve what little skill I have as a QM.
>>
>>1362835
You seem to have confused setting for theme anon, though Schteel isn't exactly a trove of variety for either.
>>
What's the most interesting oc setting you have ever seen?
>>
>>1362958
Lamplighter
>>
Can you give a protagonist a short time stop like the World and have it not make things too easy?
>>
>>1363088
Considering what made The World's time stop so powerful in the first place was that it was a super strong punch ghost and a vampire acting in said stopped time instead of a normal person, it would likely be fine.

Unless your protagonist is a vampire with a super powerful punch ghost.
>>
Name a good and a bad thing about a quest you follow.
>>
>>1363145
Good: Ridiculous amounts of world building, a ton of interesting side-content, feels like my choices always matter.

Bad: I make bad choices. They still matter. Also it's been like six days, where the fuck did the QM go?
>>
>>1362502
Will there be moments when the switch is forced on you?
>>
>>1363145
It was fun.

It died.
>>
>>1363101
I'm frankly more concerned about utility, but 5-10 seconds with some sort of cooldown probably isn't too bad
>>
>>1363145
Fun, interesting setting with a lot of freedom. Exactly my favourite kind of genre (space captain).

Every single character is based off a pop-culture figure or anime character.
>>
>>1363256
There's also plenty of annoying namefags
>>
>>1363154
>>1363256
Why are you dicks leaving out the name of the quests? What if they sound interesting and I wanted to check them out?
>>
>>1363208
Whoah, you followed [every quest I like] too?
>>
How is this for a character generator.
>QM decides race/gender/social standing.

>Players pick start kit and it's body type counterpart.

>Start kit is what helps determines character identity. For example if they want to play a tech savvy /k/ommando stats lean towards dex and int or equivalent. Character receives relevant Hobby's and interest.
>>
>>1363088
MGNQ
>>
>>1363198
Might be, if things go too far in one direction. The protag would take after his mother (who was a trickster protagonist close to Betty Boop with more of an Irish sterotype bent).
I was considering having a Mischief-O-Meter, and if it goes too far in one direction, you switch until it 'cools down'. An unconscious transformation is not exactly pretty- see Judge Doom's breakdown for human to toon.
Acting as a toon/human will endear you to some people and cause others to grow tired of you. People from 'more realistic' anime, for example, might find a western toon detective (who, like his mother, is super-deformed to be more in line with earlier cartoons) unnerving, while people who like cute things might find him adorable.
As a toon, you'll be far shorter, less physically powerful, more durable, and slightly faster, on top of using toon physics. But you can't use non-toon tools as a human or vice versa- unless it's funny. Thankfully, your trusty pistol and clothing swap with you. Plus, some things that can harm toons can't harm humans, like most toon weapons.
>>
>>1363392
Oh man, that'd be a horrifying situation.

Imagine being in the middle of investigating a crime scene and suddenly knowing that you're about to change into an idiot toon then waking up having wrecked the evidence for puns.
>>
>>1363466
>I'd better use extreme caution when approaching these suspects
>PARADIGM SHIFT
>Oh, man, wouldn't it be the coolest to break down the doors with my car? Just like in The Terminator, except the other way around!
>>
>>1363267
Starcaller Quest.

I'd participate more regularly if I wasn't busy running my own quest.
>>
>>1363267
Valen Quest
>>
>>1363351
So choosing heavy weapons and armour locks you in as a soldier-type, while pistol and electronic shit

Might work, if that was made clear to the players and formatted in a comparative manner between items. Generally though, players enjoy developing a bit of backstory themselves. You might be better served having some choices set up their identity (and list the items that come with it) than working the other way around.
>>
File: The Outer Wall.jpg (192KB, 836x645px) Image search: [Google]
The Outer Wall.jpg
192KB, 836x645px
>>1345969

Trawler Quest running after a short hiatus!
>>
I want to make a Little Witch Academia quest really badly.
Except that magic witch school has been done before and by better QMs than me.

Suggestions?
Mine would probably end up being /u/ as hell. I have a few ideas for how it would work.
>>
>>1364142
My suggestion would be to write something with some modicum of originality instead
>>
>>1364159
Took the words right outta my mouth.
>>
>>1364159
I could write something original, true. I agree.
But right now, at this moment, I want to write about cute witches and cute witch adventures.

I could make an original setting about cute witches, instead. If that would be preferable.
>>
>>1364142
You just have to find something to make it unique. Which, I'm guessing won't be any /u/ aspect unless you put in some heavy domming or some other kink.
>>
File: Somnius.png (301KB, 1884x896px) Image search: [Google]
Somnius.png
301KB, 1884x896px
>>1362835
>several QMs like Som or Merc seem to get by by rehashing the same shit in a new package and their readers gobble it up so what the fuck do I know about questing?

Some people just like DBZ, or Star wars, or Game of thrones, or even generalist fantasy DnD like settings, and want to read and participate in those kinds of settings. You have to understand that a viewer comes for what they WANT, not what is GOOD. The best written quest out there might get very little participation for a long while because of the theme of It's content, while a shit quest that takes an already popular setting and runs in it might get an amount of participation it doesn't deserve.

Also, to address a QM like SOM directly, It's really a simple matter with him, he's one of two QM's that run DBZ, and he's also ran Yu Yu hakasho, and has started a new one of those, and he just 'Finished' (Rocks fall) his second Avatar quest, and he's done some other minor stuff. And he's been around for a very long time, not to mention if any of you reading actually do follow him, you'll notice that his run frequency is insane, often running three times a week. When you combine his frequency, the popularity of his settings, and the fanbase he has accumulated over years, It's no surprise he still does so well.

Does he deserve it? Well, his writing is average, it isn't awful, but i feel it typically lacks flair and it could be more interesting at times. He also pads out his threads with short uninteresting choices where the players will almost certainly choose A and not B, or have it be almost a Yes or No with some illusion of diversity. The most unforgivable thing though is when he destroys his own quests. Since his first quest, and in literally every quest i know that he has run, he has abruptly ended the quest because of personal reasons (See his first quest) or killed the MC off during a situation can vaguely be justified as something that would kill the MC, and uses that to end the quest, this is again, when he get's tired or frustrated with his own quest. He's played the system amazingly well, but if he just improved himself i feel like he would be better deserving of his success, he doesn't have to kill a quest several people enjoy just because he's immature, but he does, and due to the situation of there being no one else to choose from i think most questers just live with his crap because no one else runs what he runs.

Now after all of that, let me ask you something. who do you think has rightfully earned their success in the questing world, and who do you think has done a good job but hasn't earned enough recognition?
>>
>>1364302
I see. Yeah, I don't think I can compete with Hexer in the worldbuilding aspect. So maybe I should strive for cute?
>>
>>1364302
>>1364312
I was thinking of having multiple magic systems in place for players to use. So they could choose between being a pyromancer, being an alchemist, being a summoner, or just a mix of all of them.
>>
>>1364338
now we're getting somewhere, but the charm of witch school type magic is how they retain a certain level of playfullness and mysticism.

"System", school-mixing and questing in general implies a more quantized and upgrade oriented magic, so what did you have in mind?
>>
>>1364392
A couple of things
-Alchemy system that allows brewing of potions. Which would be based mostly on gathering ingredients and finding their effects
-Rune magic akin to Eternal Darkness. Discover runes and put them in the right order on the ground using chalk to cast spells. Takes as much time as it sounds like it would .
-Regular ol' fun magic. Mystic stuff that comes from wands or catalysts. Works like a bluetooth magic system in that being near other witches makes it stronger. Especially if they, too, are intent on casting magic. Being by yourself isn't very useful. Used to make players stick with other characters and maybe be social instead of being a bookworm.
-Social interaction magic. Magic based entirely among the strong feelings of your peers. Be it sadness, happiness, admiration, etc. Can't be stored, and is only useful for the moment

What do you think?
>>
>>1364309

I get a planefag vibe from you.
>>
>>1364416
well....what I can really say is that I'm not seeing any red flags, but neither am I getting the sense that it's going to hit the right tone.

It will depend on the execution, etc.
>>
>>1364416
Scrap all that other stuff and focus on the alchemy
>>
>>1364437
I see. I definitely want the playful tone, because I want the cute.
Do you have any suggestions?

>>1364440
I admit, I like that idea a lot as well.
That idea and the bluetooth magic system are the two things I thought of, first.
>>
>>1364417
Who's planefag and what'd he do?
>>
>>1364451

He wrote quests.
>>
>>1364447
I couldn't really say. I've never participated in the witch school quests, and I've only seen the pilot of little witch academia.

I have a looooong backlog.
>>
>>1364471
That's fine.
But it's part of why I wanted it to be a fanfic quest: LWA hits on all the right notes I wanted for a quest like that. It's a cute magic school that has the mysticism already in-place. Fairies act as janitors, witches spend their free-time doing basically whatever they want, and there's an overarching problem that's not going to come to a head anytime soon, but is still something that has to be addressed.

Maybe it's not the most original thing, but it hit all the right notes with me.
>>
>>1364447
If you stick with alchemy you could have us hunt magical beasts for powerful ingredients, travel to find more exotic ingredients, piece together our own potions by giving each ingredient a general effect, and shit like that. It would be way more engaging than just learning spells from books or from teachers. Potions can have super varied effects too so there's not much need to spread yourself so thin with several different schools of magic. I really don't know why I'm brainstorming this stuff, I think yuri is garbage and would never read it
>>
>>1364496
I like the mechanics discussion, even if you don't read it. I think brainstorming is fun!

That said, you make a very good point about needing to travel to find ingredients. I think the magic system initially should be about making friends and getting involved with hobbies, as well.

I do think you're right in that potions can be super varied. I could maybe merge alchemy and magic into one discipline and just have the casting of magic be using a little bit of magic from a vial of something that has to be refilled. What do you think?
>>
>>1364509
Well the first bit of learning to make potions could be more controlled with reading books and using pre-gathered weaker ingredients to find a sort of specialty, then venturing further for more potent magical ingredients later as they progress as an alchemist. And the friends we make can have different specialties so we could collaborate on a particular recipe that could use their expertise that we lack.

I think that's not a bad idea, the limits and applications of potions entirely up to you and the rules of the setting you make.
>>
>>1364554
I love this idea.
Maybe it shouldn't be specifically a witches school if this is the direction we're heading. What do you think?
>>
>>1364559
Maybe calling it an alchemist academy would be more fitting but the word "witch" can mean different things in different settings so it's up to you I suppose
>>
>>1364586
Well, 'Witch' would be implicit female unless we use the ye olde definition where males and females could equally be witches.

Alchemist, I'm worried, may imply more the Edward kind of alchemist and not the silly having-magic-adventures-with-friends kind.
>>
>>1364599
I'm not really sure what you're asking here, are you looking for a good title or asking whether it should be a coed school or what?
>>
>>1364659
I am asking if making it a mixed generic magic school is a good idea or not if I want to have a specifically light tone.

I kind of like my all-girls witches school idea, but you already said that you dislike the yuri portion of it.
>>
>>1364664
Obviously I'd prefer mixed but it's not like yuri is inherently lighthearted anyway. There's plenty of edgy yuri quests
>>
>>1364664
CGDCT
>>
>>1364664
>Only yuri can be lighthearted
Anon, did you just say what I think you did? Really?
Even if you think boys are icky, you can have an all-girls cast without them lusting for each other's pussy.
>>
>>1364930
>you can have an all-girls cast without them lusting for each other's pussy.
For yurifags, no such thing exists.
>>
>>1364417
You've made my day. What did plane do you Trick, did it hurt?
>>
File: little witch academia lotte.jpg (57KB, 736x551px) Image search: [Google]
little witch academia lotte.jpg
57KB, 736x551px
>>1364664
It's perfectly possible to have an almost-exclusively-female cast without drowning it in yuri if you don't want to. I at least think that's one thing I actually didn't completely fuck up myself, so anyone with actual skill should have no problem. Of course if you DO want to go full unrestrained /u/ then you should probably just be honest about that.

If you swing by the Cabal some time I'd love to discuss your ideas some more.
>>
>>1364930
No, he didn't say what you think he said, you're just too stupid to be able to read English, apparently. It's harder to write lighthearted shit if you have to deal with boys and girls being separated by teachers specifically to avoid the crap that happens when you have mixed schools - before a decade ago, it never occurred to people that they might have issues with same sex in schools. Nowadays it's almost a boogyman to have any kids together of any genders at all.
>>
>>1365303
source: your ass
seriously dude what kind of reasoning is that
>>
>>1365303
>Nowadays it's almost a boogyman to have any kids together of any genders at all.
What the fuck year am I in?
>>
>>1365357
Current year, in the dimension where Hillary won. For some reason our reality seems to intersect with that world on this website time to time.
>>
>>1365351
Have you watched movies or read any books in the past 10 years?
>>
>>1365361
yes but I've also lived a real life which I can draw knowledge from
>>
>>1365360
>the dimension where Hillary won
Have the SJWs completely taken over all the institutions and businesses yet, or are the Kekistani guerrilla still giving them enough trouble?
>>
>>1365372
I dunno, I haven't really tried to look in there.
>>
Man, it's been years. used to run while we were on /tg/. Decided to come back and see how things were.

What are the big quests? I see a bunch of old quests resurrected with redux added to the titles. What is annoying and overplayed? This board alive?
>>
>>1364309
>You have to understand that a viewer comes for what they WANT, not what is GOOD. The best written quest out there might get very little participation for a long while because of the theme of It's content, while a shit quest that takes an already popular setting and runs in it might get an amount of participation it doesn't deserve.

tl;dr, people come to a quest for what they want. and stay in a quest for what is good.

Is this a correct, concise way of saying it?
>>
>>1365506
The only quests worth reading are either dead or Hive Queen
>>
>>1365754
Hah, I guess it's true I was the only one keeping questing good/alive then. Cheers, huskyfuckers.
>>
>>1366090
>>1366090
>>1366090
Beleaguered Prince Quest is now up.
>>
Hey again /qtg/! We just finished another low speed session over in Rimworld Quest, a low speed improvised quest about Rimworld! Come check us out sometime, and join us next time if you like what you see! Whenever next time is! Nobody knows!
>>
Is House Blackett QM dead?
>>
No full effort quests started tonight... on friday night.

It's... it's really over, isn't it? All this? All of it...
>>
>>1367911
Was gonna, then started tossing up between a couple ideas, couldn't decide and decided to watch some movies instead.

On a related note: pirates or wizards?
>>
>>1367920
Pirates, wizards are stupid
>>
>>1367920
Wizards, pirates are too moral
>>
>>1367923
>>1367939
Glad we can see eye-to-eye.
>>
>>1367961
aye aye
>>
>>1367986
i'll take that as a vote.
Guess I'll get to work on prepping for a pirate quest sometime soon.
>>
>>1367990
no girls on board, tho, that turns it into a smutquest where the endgame is more smut
>>
>>1367990
make sure to include a pirate queen archetype

it totally wont go bad
>>
>>1367991
>>1367994
I make no promises. I go where the players take me.
>>
>>1368015
dear god
we've already lost him!
>>
File: pirates.jpg (536KB, 2480x3507px) Image search: [Google]
pirates.jpg
536KB, 2480x3507px
>>1368015
YURI PIRATES
>>
>>1367911
>full effort quests

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>1368126
I'd assume a full effort quest is a quest with long opening posts, good writing and where it's clear the writer has thought of a direction for the plot beyond the immediate 'wat do'.

Generally won't begin with 'hey guys this is my first quest blah blah blah'
>>
>>1355377
I've gone to different boards following the banners.
>>
How often do you check the catalog?
>>
>>1368132
A sound hypothesis, bug one easily proven false by a cursory look at the catalog.

I postulate that "full effort quest" is actually meme code for "that one quest j want to have sex with, why would I look for anything else to replace it even temporarily?"
>>
>>1368141

The eternal struggle that is Dragonball: Blue Star Quest is back.
>>
>>1368067
>yuri
gross
>>
Ouro come baaaaaack
>>
>>1362958
Golem Quest, The Paradisian War
>>
>>1368137
no he was right, just should have been more specific

>>1368540
never eever
>>
Starcaller Quest is running.
>>1368907
>>1368907
>>1368907
>>
Academy Tournament Organization Quest is running!

>>1369028
>>
File: i draw the blinds here.jpg (1MB, 3656x4068px) Image search: [Google]
i draw the blinds here.jpg
1MB, 3656x4068px
>>1368330
>>
File: 15.1.jpg (99KB, 975x546px) Image search: [Google]
15.1.jpg
99KB, 975x546px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/29-the-age-of-a-new-moon/4mHiSfnEtCb8zAujx
Gloin, son of Groin, of the house Durin
>>
Hey /qst/, first time QM here with a couple of questions I wish to have answered before I begin creating a quest.

1. Been trying to find a way to adapt the RPG systems of the Persona series into a quest that won't feel grindy or slog the flow of the sessions on the board. So far, I have figured out the Social Links, and Personality Stats should remain as they are in the game, but it's the battle system and dungeon crawling elements I am having trouble figuring out and I would be open to any suggestions on simplifying this for convenience but also retaining part of the depth.

2. Should there be a character creation element at the beginning of a quest like this? I keep hearing horror stories about how character creation, specially gender choice, gives players an uncomfortable amount of places to fetish fuel a quest to nothing. Should I included character creation in the quest?
>>
>>1369607
>gives players an uncomfortable amount of places to fetish fuel a quest to nothing
that's....not the main reason char gen is bad. Half the people who put fetish fuel in char gen aren't serious.

Which is the problem. Well, ONE of the problems.
>>
>>1369676
I was adverse to the idea to begin with, it's just something that keeps nagging me as a result of giving people freedom and not railroading from the beginning .

On the other side, what are some real benefits to including character creation? Also, what ARE some of the big problems with it anon?
>>
>>1369728
if a benevolent anon doesn't answer you
you can find some info about it in the OP pastes
>>
>>1369750
The pastebin is quite useful, and I will certainly look more into it as I write the initial scenarios.

That being said, my main problem is genre/series specific to my quest and remains more of an issue with adaptation. Guess I'll just have to wait...
>>
>>1369844
if you are the single pioneer of a yet made subset path of a broad divisive medium with many answers
you might have to make up an answer on your own
unless another QM or player out there has been thinking of a persona system for quests and is willing to share it
just sayain'
>>
>>1369879
I was hoping it wouldn't come to that...

There haven't been many Persona quests that I have seen archived, and the ones that I have seen are either too short or didn't include combat. So, I guess it's a blessing that this brand of quests has yet to be exploited.

At the same time though, there's so much to cover within a quest for this sort of thing that it almost discourages me from doing it. Yet, I suppose it will come down to dedication, trial, and error for this kind of thing.

If anything, I could say that I am one of the few that attempted to do something like this. Regardless, thank you for the encouraging words anon; I'll be sure to keep this in mind when I begin writing.
>>
File: plan.png (311KB, 462x365px) Image search: [Google]
plan.png
311KB, 462x365px
How much thinking do readers prefer when participating in a quest? Do you turn off your brain and turn into a drooling retard or prefer to have your almonds activated?
>>
>>1369901
You should definitely check out Persona 2129 Quest if you haven't already friend. I've been slowly picking away at my own Persona Quest concept and I'm stealing a few ways of dealing with shit like that from TT.

I hope I see your Quest out there one of these days. And I hope I can get mine off the ground when the time comes.

>>1370059
For me it always came down to how much I was interested in the Quest as a whole. If I'm invested I put more effort into my choices and discuss things with my fellow players.
>>
>>1370059
i overthink simple things and blow small stuff out of proportion while simultaneously dumbing down and shrugging off complicated or otherwise challenging situations until i'm wronger than wrong and have arrived at the worst conclusion imaginable
to be honest a QM is better off if I don't participate in their quest and that realization took a while
>>
>>1370390
Ha! I've had that happen to me as a QM. Some anons read way too much into something and absolutely sprinted off into the horizon with it.

There are upsides of that though, sometimes you can give a QM an idea they hadn't even considered. Whether or not they can then play it off as their own creation just depends on how good the QM is.

>>1369607
Good quest chargen generally integrates itself into the story. A conversation with another character, swapping stories or

I've never seen a gender option choice go down well. It hasn't necessarily always devolved into salt and tears, but if any option is likely to cause the thread to do so it is most definitely that one.

Best to already have decided on a gender from the start and brush past the issue with minimum fuss,
>>
So, question. Would tomorrow be a good time to start a new quest? On one hand, it's the weekend. But on the other hand, it's a holiday, so will most people be too busy with the holidays to actually participate?
>>
>>1370596
I don't rightly know, Good Sunday is as much as a family-time holiday as others. I'm running tomorrow anyway because I can't fit it in anywhere else.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 640x272px
The Last Grease Monkey is back.

>>1370518
>>
File: 1488836147065.jpg (121KB, 800x649px) Image search: [Google]
1488836147065.jpg
121KB, 800x649px
>>1369607
>2. Should there be a character creation element at the beginning of a quest like this? I keep hearing horror stories about how character creation, specially gender choice, gives players an uncomfortable amount of places to fetish fuel a quest to nothing. Should I included character creation in the quest?

The upsides and downsides of char gen have been gone over again and again, really. Whether or not char gen will be good or bad for you specifically though is difficult to say. The question you should ask yourself is probably what you want to get out of character generation, and whether you would be better served with character select (a small selection of pre-established characters) or a singular character with a few blank spots to be defined in the early action.

What do YOU want?

>>1370596
On /qst/ the only good day to start your quest is the day you've told everyone you'll start it. Almost nobody is looking at the catalog, even during prime time.
>>
>>1371027
>On /qst/ the only good day to start your quest is the day you've told everyone you'll start it. Almost nobody is looking at the catalog, even during prime time.

True, hm. I think planning to run today might have been too generous anyways, and I haven't advertised here at all so maybe I should do that first.

Essentially, I noticed how lately there's been more Exalted quests (I still followed Exalted Quest), but none of them have stuck around which is a bummer. I was kind of thinking of starting my own in the West, with an Infernal. Just trying to figure out how to make that work mechanically, my thought right now is maybe replace the skills with Yozi and then explain what situations dots in them might help in, but that might confuse people that aren't familiar with Exalted already. So, I'll have to figure that out, could probably have it figured out and run on Friday.

Would anyone here be interested in that? I know Exalted is a little niche, but I really like it and Infernals are both neat and different enough to not be too similar to the two big ones everyone's familiar with (Exalted Quest and Lunar Quest).
>>
>>1369607
>>1369676
Honestly, it depends on how you write it. I feel like these are guidelines people should follow though when making a quest like persona

1. Lock in the MC's gender and give them personality guidelines
Why? Because anons will make your character schizophrenic or worse, boring as fuck. Give them a few personality traits as a guideline for them. Take it a step further and let your audience know the sexual orientation so you don't end up with "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE CAN'T ROMANCE THIS WAIFU AS A GIRL" shitstorms or even the opposite side of the spectrum

2. Don't worry about combat too hard
Why? Because especially if you can't write engaging combat well you do want to focus on skimming through the unimportant combat bits and prepare for more significant fights. When writing a fight scene you do want things to actually be at stake and engaging to your audience so try not to replicate the grindy feel of the SMT games.

3. Don't make everything a day to day experience. Trust me it'll wear you down a lot trying to make it interesting
Additionally don't be afraid to timeskip a couple of times if things are dragging so you can begin the plot to the next arc.

The other stuff should be obvious about the plots for the dungeons and the characters the MC hangs out with.
>>
Would you read a quest set in a world where ancient wizards managed to kill the gods and the world has gone to complete utter shit because of this?
>>
>>1371181
we already had that
>>
>>1371182
Whats it called?
>>
>>1371185
that would be spoilers.

To be honest, you shouldn't read that quest looking for that particular plot device anyway. I don't know any that uses it as a premise front and center.
>>
>>1371187
I was asking because I wanted to know if it was an immediate turn off
>>
>>1371190
that doesn't really stop it from being an inquest spoiler.
>>
>>1371202
The quest I had planned it would be common knowledge wizards fucked everything up
>>
>>1371206
so like I said: I don't know any quest that uses it front and center.

I'm not sure if that would be the main thing that someone would use to decide if they'll read it or not, though. Usually it depends more on how the OP is presented or choices are structured.
>>
>>1371208
danke
>>
Is House Blackett ded?
>>
>players try to metagame an OC setting with knowledge not known in the setting
>>
>>1371275
i need to see this being done anon
it's important
for inspiration
pls
>>
File: 1491335870304.jpg (129KB, 850x868px) Image search: [Google]
1491335870304.jpg
129KB, 850x868px
>>1371181
You don't read a quest for the setting alone, fanfiction quests excepted of course. What's the premise of your quest? Will it start with the word 'welcome'? What themes will you work with? What kind of MC do you have in mind? Tone? Scale? Plot? Will there be catgirls? You gotta give us something to work with here
>>
>>1371284
You are villager who managed to into magic on accident, your village is kicking you out because almost everyone hates wizards. Probably not. Explain further for my dumb self. Bitter as all hell. Fug if I know. I fully plan on letting anons wander wherever they vote to go in the world, including the otherside of it full of who knows what. That would be spoiling it wouldn't it? Yes, wizards exists so it is a given.
>>
>>1371331
you should run
soon
yeah
>>
You guys think a Xaolin Showdown Quest would get players?
>>
>>1371340
How many people even remember that show?
>>
>>1371343
I'd only be using the Sheng-Gong-Wu and maybe a few other elements, but hardly any characters from the show.
>>
>>1371334
Next friday maybe, after I get a stronger grasp on the idea
>>
>>1371142
Here's the thing with quests.

Quests are written by people who want immediate feedback, for people who want someone else to provide descriptions to personal fantasies above all else.

Persona is anime as fuck, the sort of people who obsess over it simultaneously HATE the restrictions to the main character. A persona quest is doomed on /qst/ because you're expecting the two key components to a quest

>writer who cannot write without immediate feedback
>readers who expect to be given thing and will screech loudly if things do not go their way

and this is on top of a dead board.

Good luck to anyone who attempts it. I have no faith in the readers here to not go and ruin what talent a given writer has.
>>
Starcaller Quest is running right now.
>>1371800
>>1371800
>>1371800
>>
File: Quest Cover.jpg (216KB, 642x924px) Image search: [Google]
Quest Cover.jpg
216KB, 642x924px
Black Company Quest is on the boil. Hold the sugar.

>>1372129
>>1372129
>>1372129
>>
>>1373390

Shipgirl Commander session is a go.
>>
Sup /qtg/ mind me recommend me some good quest that are finished? Preferably with shits and giggles.
>>
>>1373521
baaaanished
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=banished
is as finished as it will ever be
>>
>>1373521
oh wait you said good

neeeevermiiiiind
>>
>>1373521
>shits and giggles
Oversized Weapon

.....not a lot of "shits and giggles" quests that finished
>>
>>1373521
For shits and giggles. Only ones I know of are LBQ for some very odd psuedo religious humor. And any questions done by one QuestingQM of which there are werewolf reich which was scrapped and the running European dragon Quest which has an incomplete archive. Those are good if you like /pol/ humor.
>>
>>1373521
What do you mean by 'with'? Like, Dungeon Life Quest has a bunch of funny moments but it's not a comedy, you know?
>>
File: 2.jpg (646KB, 892x890px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
646KB, 892x890px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/29-the-age-of-a-new-moon/4mHiSfnEtCb8zAujx
I'm sure you knew my father well
>>
danube fuckwad quest soon
:V
>>
How much about a quest's setting do you people prefer to know? What elements interest you the most?

No noncommittal bullshit like "uuuhh everything?" or "as much is necessary for the plot," also on that particular note, fuck you, quests at their best allow you to explore the world that's been made for you, otherwise you may as well read a book.
>>
>>1375593
If it's a well made OC setting then I'll probably want to know anything that catches my interest as we go along. And I tend to just not play fanfic quests in settings I'm not familiar with. One exception of that was Devil Summoner London Quest. It actually helped get me into SMT.

To be a bit more specific. I definitely don't need to know EVERYTHING from the start. And lore dumps that don't occur naturally can get really tired really quickly.
>>
>>1375593
I like knowing very little about a quests' setting. I feel it's entertaining to see the framework and make conclusions on the way through it, and finding inconsistencies between what characters say and what the world is while connecting the greater, general stuff together. because it's fun.

the most interesting elements for me are various commerce methods and ways of waging mass warfare, with a heavy lean towards how fantastic elements affect these things.

for processes i like quests that reveal their historic elements at historic locations, political elements at political locations, ethnic elements when you arrive upon a new ethnicity/race, and so on. just having it come up timely is more to the point than only having as much as plot necessitates. more than just not filling a post with unessential info, it's focused. ex; the character walks through a market with the intent to sell their own stolen goods, and you get a lore drip of that particular cultures methods, either them having fences and pawn shops or maybe they're super regulated and you need to find a well hidden smuggler. the details would be alluded to in the "face" of the culture your character is experiencing, and through additions from their perspective. it's freer, i feel, and that's enjoyable.
>>
How do fallout themed quests usually fare? Any previous good ones?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png (180KB, 320x376px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
180KB, 320x376px
>>1375464

We got a mushroom man Civ quest here if anyone is interested.
>>
What would be preferable for a Samurai Jack quest? Obviously, playing as the foolish one or the Master of Masters is out of the question.

>Be one of the other notable characters (e.g. Scotsman, Da Samurai, Exdor, etc.)
>Try to make a difference as one of the many no-name do-gooders and C-List heroes out there
>Evil quest where you're one of the new villains who went to Earth and was relocated to a peaceful village for your...amusement.
>You're a bounty hunter doing one dangerous job after another, traveling around the world in the name of coin

Just gauging interest, don't expect me to run anything as I'm too weak for that.
>>
File: 1476318136695.png (23KB, 299x84px) Image search: [Google]
1476318136695.png
23KB, 299x84px
>>1377441
>playing as the foolish one or the Master of Masters is out of the question.
Why? Too much fun?
>>
>>1377441
I'm not actually against fanfic quests, but in this case, one which takes the theme, premise and feel of the show, not its setting, which is basically whatever it needs to be for the episode at hand. File off the Samurai Jack name basically.

Just do a quest about a noble, good hearted warrior cast into the future/past/space etc. at the moment of his triumph over the ultimate evil, and is now trying to get back home in a world ruled by a charismatic tree-demon villain.
>>
>a new "lewd immortal elder loli" quest on Akun
> not even badly written
> it will most likely soon die and the QM will disappear to never return same as the rest of eternal lolis' QMs
The pain is all too real.
>>
>>1377441
I'd enjoy playing as a Scotsman warrior or a future theif.
>>
>>1377580
>a future thief

A time bandit?
>>
>>1356167
Cant tell you how much I miss HMQ. I regularly check his twitter to this day
>>
Would anyone be interested in a quest set in some sort of post-life limbo where the aim is to try and work off your sins?
>>
>>1377750
We're already in purgatory my dude
>>
>>1377567
Good
>>
Fucking kascode strikes again.
>>
>>1378347
What happened?
>>
>>1378430
Literally nothing, after having it run for about 48 continuous hours my firefox just bugged out and didn't want to load the site. Works after a restart.

Fuck me, I thought the site was down again. Oh well, at least I have some stuff to catch up on now.
>>
>>1377872
Oh fuck you. What's good about a thing that people enjoy disappointing them?
>>
Starcaller Quest is running.
>>1378595
>>1378595
>>1378595
>>
>try to do subtle characterization through dialogue and implications behind certain actions and mannerisms
>nobody notices or even gives an indication later on that they did through choosing or modifying an action later
>this continues despite gradually trying to make things all but outright told baldly

It's a good thing the character's a bit of an autist otherwise I'd be getting irritated
>>
>>1378958

I know what you mean. Subtlety in quests is a waste and it sucks because you put effort into every word and the way people talk and their specific reactions to events and the players aren't going to pick up on it.
>>
>>1378958
Make the character speculate, possibly incorrectly. People will usually dive in with their own thoughts.
>>
>>1378958
I've seen the opposite effect where everyone notices but they all blow the implications out of proportion and different players run away with their own conclusions and get mad when it's not the way they thought it was in reality.
>>
>>1379423
Hi Geist, sorry we got earth holy nuked.
>>
>>1379621
Funnily enough, I don't know who that is and I don't know what you're talking about but thanks for providing an example.
>>
>>1378958
>>1378985
Just because your players notice something doesn't mean they're going to comment on it. If you want to see if they noticed something you'll have to put them in a scenario that requires them to talk about it/act on it.
>>
>>1380215
yeah
some things don't seem worth commenting on a lot of time because frankly it's easy to make oneself look paranoid or stupid just pointing out the obvious
like, pointing out suspicious behavior will net you a string of
>Yes, and..?
responses. it's not really worth it, unless its a facetious joke of some kind
>>
>>1380332
ehhh fuck you ID i ain't ur jay one bahba
>>
pls be of the fixing quests now
>>
>>1380215
I'm not expecting them to comment on every little thing

I don't think it's much to expect them to take something into account for a decision though, instead of not at all even when it's very relevant.
>>
As dead as quests.
>>
>>1380663

It's why I haven't thought about running anything since my last one crashed and burned. I also suck out loud as a QM and can't finish a story to save my goddamn life.
>>
>>1380663
How is akun doing compared to qst?
>>
>>1380744
>compared to qst

Fantastic

So long as you can tolerate cancer
>>
>>1380744
/qst/ is a graveyard.
Akun is a bunch of people jerking off
>>
>>1380663
There is that tale quest that is ongoing.
>>
What dogfighting mechanics have been tried? Were they good?

I'm working on a quest dealing with interwar era planes and I'm having trouble coming up with an engaging system for air battles.
>>
>>1381198
air battles are shit nobody wants to play chair force: the quest kys already you plane scum
>>
File: please 005.jpg (52KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
please 005.jpg
52KB, 331x331px
I was thinking about running a pseudo fanfic quest about yuyuyu. ie: cute magical girls doing cute sol things and suffering terribly in a similar setting.
But I am not sure about how to handle the sol parts, any advice? Maybe some examples of how it was done, right, before.
>>
>>1381808

Nobody on this graveyard of a board cares. Just run it already you fucking pussy-punk bitch.
>>
>>1381808
The trick to writing slice of life is to have the character invested in the other characters. If you have no reason other than 'she's cute, he's cute, i want cuddles' then slice of life is meaningless.
>>
What the fuck ever happened to Jara and the Valley of Secrets? That was good as
>>
>>1381920
you're not allowed to have good things that's what happened
>>
Seems like more and more quests are moving to Akun or planning to. Gotta imagine that if enough do things will even out.
>>
Surprised quests are still alive. Ganbatte guys!
>>
File: Puff Ugh.jpg (57KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
Puff Ugh.jpg
57KB, 600x448px
>Some Anon starts to shit up the thread or acts "lol so rundum xD"
>It's a name/tripfag
Why?
>>
>>1382121
More worldbuilding happens here than on /tg/ nowadays.
>>
>>1382311
you're not allowed to have good things that's why
>>
What's the longest-running quest that started on /qst/?
>>
>>1383011
nothing good because that's what you can't have
>>
what kind of super powers would be best for a super hero game?
>>
>>1383011
You're asking for an oxymoron. Basically every notable long running quest started on /tg/.

/qst/'s only existed for about a year, and just one year is diddly dick compared to most long running quests.

I started my quest in the opening month of /qst/, before the banishment, and it's still running, so I'll nominate myself because I have my head up my ass.
>>
>>1383066
the ones that aren't good
>>
Did the /qst/ divegrass team ever get done?
>>
There are many sorcerers, wizards, priests, and other users of magic in thew world, but you're one of the veery few, the one in one billion who is a mage. You don't use magic, or cast spells, or perform rituals; you manipulate the very power and substance of magic itself. There are literally only eight of you in the world.

You have the dubious honor of working for the Centre for Occult Research and Rehabilitation, and your 'job', if you can call it that, is to rehabilitate the souls or spirits of reincarnated evil and use their assistance to recover occult artifacts and rituals from the people who would use them to commit atrocities and wreck the tenuously safe world that you live in. This is not a fun job, but it is exciting and you get to play with the best toys. The voyueristic psychic who serves as your observer and contact with the Centre is laughing her head of because you've just received your third rehabilitation subject.

Hitler.

Literally Hitler.

Adela is the fifteen year old blonde girl who is host to Hitler's soul, and the Centre has pulled his memories completely into her life, so they can use her to find the occult artifacts and tools he used in World War Two to nearly conquer Europe. You are not pleased by this. Even with an enslavement device, she's still going to be one of the most skilled demagogues in the world, and you need to keep her on target before someone else finds what she's got stashed across the world.

You're especially concerned about how Jackie The Ripper and Ginger Khan will react to their not nearly so rehabilitated new companion....

>Coming Never To A Board Near You.
>>
>>1383340
>Adela
>Jackie The Ripper and Ginger Khan
cheeky bastard
>>
>>1383343
What can I say, I have strange dreams.

I might run it as a three shot.

Anon might like me running a male character that likes the girls.
>>
>>1383340
Sounds like that show with the military loli from last season. Tanya the Evil or something. Never watched it, but I did fap to the porn, so you've got my interest.
>>
>>1383340
>>1383355
Run it on Akun.
Thread posts: 392
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.