[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tainted Earth Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 1

File: BoYcCzY.jpg (685KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
BoYcCzY.jpg
685KB, 1680x1050px
Hey guys! Here to try my hand at running another quest! Xenon quest was going well until my phone (and all my notes on it) was stolen :( but im here and willing to try again if you guys will have me! And here we gooo!

Tainted Earth- set centuries after a cataclysmic world war using "Gene bombs". These weapons rapidly mutated the DNA of the humans and animals inside their range, the effect being most intense nearest the epicenter of the release, the bioweapon rapidly decaying into harmlessness. The hellish weapons left the cities and resources unharmed yet wrought horrible damage on the population

Those at the center suffered extreme mutations, rendering them into horrific, monstrous beasts, amalgams of multiple species and sometimes multiple humans,these cursed souls are the Behemoths. They hold a fierce hostility towards all life and will use their extreme strength and size to destroy any intruders. They inhabit the ancient cities and deep lonely places in the new world.

Those on the mid range of the detonation were afflicted with severe mutations but not to the extent of the the Behemoths. They are afflicted with (but not limited to) bestial features, increased size and strength, limited intelligence and a deep mistrust of "Pure" humans. They live a mostly nomadic life, great "herds" and "packs" roaming the land,following their herds. Several small cities exist however and they guard their citadels fiercely. These are the Marauders.

Those on the far range of the blasts are the luckiest of the affected. They are the "Tainted". They are by far the most numerous of the affected and in some ways the most fortunate. Many are able to pass for pure humans with their slight mutations covered and concealed. They are usually afflicted with slight physical mutations (clawed fingers, slotted pupils, fangs, scales, etc) along with slightly increased strength and speed. they inhabit many of the new villages and small towns and form some of the population of the new cities.

Pure humans still exist however. Many wander the wastes in nomadic convoys,selling scavenged wares and gathered foodstuffs. They also form the majority of the city population and many of them hold a deep hatred of the Tainted and Marauders. This hate has given rise to the "Purity Movement", a religious sect that rapidly grew to power in their quest to cleanse the "Tainted Earth". They operate without restraint, leading constant crusades and raids against Tainted and Marauder held villages and cities.
>>
>character creation time!

You are jolted awake by screams, the acrid stench of smoke and burning flesh. You leap out of bed and you catch your reflection in a shard of ancient mirror you found. You see a...

>Marauder, large and strong, bestial features prominent and obvious. You can overpower any human but may be outsmarted easily by them. (Write in beast features. increased size and claws are already present. Ex- large jaws, slitted pupils, scaly/furry hide, tail, etc)

>A lean and scarred Tainted. You could pass for human if you covered your eyes/kept your mouth closed. You stand slightly taller than an average human and your reflexes are lighting quick. (Write in 2 slight beast traits (slitted pupils, small claws, fangs, etc)

Pure human. You are the epitome of human purity, the Grand Purifier himself couldn't claim cleaner blood. You are hardened by a life of hard work and defense against raiders. You can hold your own.
>>
Bumping to keep alive. Ill abandon thread in an hour if there's no interest
>>
>>1311407

Let's go for Tainted!

Claws & slitted eyes
>>
>>1311407
>Tainted.
>Tongue and tail similar to a gecko's.
>>
>>1311407
I'm cool with either Marauder or Tainted. Slitted pupils, scaly hide, and a lizard tail.
>>
>>1311407

> Pure human.

So pure, even the genocidal, eugenic crusaders attest to our purity. I can smell the bigotry already.

Do pure humans have any advantages over the tainted besides being less mutated?
>>
>>1311507
>>1311500
A tail is a serious mutation, tainted are only slightly mutated
>>
>>1311536
Tail is only if we go Marauder, which looks like a no, as it only has my 1/2 of a vote. So just the eyes and patches of scales if Tainted.
>>
>>1311528
Pure humans get more of a social bonus than physical bonus. They are treated fairly and protected by The Purifiers and can turn in pieces of Tainted and Marauders for bounties.
>>
So far we have

>Tainted- Slitted Eyes with Scaly patches. Bueno?
>>
>>1311572
Helz yea
>>
>>1311572

I can dig it
>>
>>1311572

I'd rather go for Tainted over Marauder if not Pure Human, so sure.
>>
>>1311572
Could be worse. I suppose the intention was that the features are only cosmetic.
>>
>>1311620
Oh I wouldn't say that ;)
>>
You catch your reflection in the mirror as you whirl and begin pulling on clothes. Your face is mostly human, a pair of bright yellow eyes, slitted like a cats peer into the darkness, the backs flashing in the light. Your mouth holds longer than average incisors with a very slightly forked tongue. Your shoulders, back, forearms and thighs are covered in a thick layer of scaly hide that's as tough as leather. Your fingertips end in the slightest of claws, tiny hooks still capable of ripping flesh and gouging eyes. You rapidly finish dressing, pulling on your well worn leather coat and,judging by the wild whoops and chanting voices you catch amid the screams you also take a moment to arm yourself..

>select a main weapon and sidearm. Additions and upgrades can be purchased or crafted.

>Broad bladed slashing sword

>narrow, short cut-and-thrust shortsword

>spiked Axe

>barbed thrusting spear

>curve bladed slashing spear

Side weapons-

>Throwing knives (5)

>concealed daggers

>wrist crossbow

>Spiked Buckler shield
>>
>>1311756

Barbed spear for extra simulation
Spiked shield for protection

Plus we have claws so that's our fall back weapon.
>>
>>1311756
>curve bladed slashing spear

>concealed daggers
>>
>>1311756
>Curve-bladed slashing spear
Reach and shit. Spears are the weapon of the people; swords are for rich assholes who can actually afford to commission massive wastes of metal. Bladed polearm means we can use it effectively like a staff as well.

>Spiked Buckler shield
Shields ain't actually for pussies.
>>
You reach up into the alcove set directly over the door, inside you find your weapons of choice. A short hafted spear fits comfortably in your left hand, the strong wood of the shaft wrapped in rawhide and sealed tight. The blade is a wicked foot long blade that curves outward into a shallow reverse sickle that culminates in a wicked stabbing point.

In your right hand you grip a small round shield, its surface and edges are studded with sharp hooks and spikes with a 6 inch spike jutting from its exact center. The entire shield is at most a foot and a half across, it allows for defense and offense simultaneously.

Armed and dressed you take several deep breaths and kick your front door open,guarding your torso with your shield while holding your spear ready.

You step out into a massacre. Your friends and neighbors lay slaughtered on the ground, bodies slashed to ribbons and some set alight in huge pyres. Women, old folks, children, none are spared the sword. As you watch a small child is impaled on a spear and held aloft by cheering men and women in white robes.

"Cleanse the Earth! Cleanse the Earth!" they howl as the child kicks and screams their last. Your breath catches in your throat. This is no raid. A Purity Militia has swept in and begun "Cleansing". Not a single person here will be spared, human or no.

As you watch a group of men and women surround a cornered young couple, jabbing with spears and taunting as the male, a large Tainted with horns like a bull and wicked claws on his fingers swings a maul desperately.

>hes on his own

>there's only 3 of them and there poorly armed religious nutjobs. You got this (roll a d20 pls)
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>1311895

I'm in it for murder.
Saving the others is just a side effect
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>1311895
>there's only 3 of them and there poorly armed religious nutjobs. You got this (roll a d20 pls)
They'll have to be dealt with later regardless. At least we have the element of surprise now.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>1311895
Fanatics tend not to be the best thinkers, keep a cool level head and you should do ok.
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>1311895
kill all humans
>>
>rolled 8! Slight failure!

You adjust your grip on the spear, your eyes adjusting quickly tie the chaotic light cast by the torches and pyres. The Purity militia members are standing back and taunting the Unfortunate Tainted and his mate, safely out of reach of the swings of his heavy maul. You take a final step forward and prepare to lunge as one if the zealots turns and catches you in his peripheral vision. The mans face twists with shock and rage as he turns and screams to his companions.

"There's another freak! Kill him! This town must be Pure!"

One of his companions turns to face you, dropping his spear in favor of a small axe and a dagger as the other two continue harrassiong the couple.

>go on the offensive, slice him in half (d20)

>let him come to you, wait for a lucky strike (d20)

> throw your shield at one of the other Zealots,knocking them in range of the big guy (D20)
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>1311998
>go on the offensive, slice him in half (d20)
fukin humans
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>1311998

>go on the offensive
Pure blood to assuage our thirst!
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>1311998
>dropping his spear in favor of a small axe and a dagger
He deliberately chose to trade away his range against someone with a spear? He must be very confident.

>Go on the offensive, take advantage of your spear's reach (d20)
The dagger ought to be irrelevant unless he throws it or we're bad enough to let him get into range to actually shank us. So if we keep him at range while blocking his axe, we ought to be able to strike him with our spear as we wish. In this case, we ought to seize the initiative.

Actually slicing him in half sounds pretty retarded, though.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>1311998
>go on the offensive
Spears are ranged Why did the zealot drop his, especially for a weapon with less reach?
>>
>>1312021
So slow in my typing, and someone beat me to it.
>>
>>1312021
These militias "spears" are more or less sharpened sticks and pitchforks. Getting close is his only chance. And not actually slice him in half but it is a slashing weapon
>>
>>1312023
It was in my first draft of that post but I forgot to add it in Lol. The "spears" they're using are little more than sharpened sticks and straightened pitchforks. Getting close is his only chance. Plus, theyre zealots. They dont value theyre own lives very much
>>
>18!Excellent success!!

You advance, bracing your spear against your shield as the Zealot comes forward, twirling his dagger and axe as he comes.

"Time to die Monster!" he growls as he steps forward and swings his axe with a powerful overhead blow. It would've battered your shield aside easily and left you wide open for a gutting strike with that dagger.

Luckily you were already moving, stepping to the side and lunging. The Zealots fierce grin turns into a mask of rigid agony and horror as your razor sharp spearblade bites deep into his guts. You withdraw with a wet *squelch* as the blade drags along the cut as he collapses, blood soaking his white robes as he desperately tries to hold in the slick coils falling from his belly.

You turn almost contemptuously toward the remaining Zealots. The ringleader, his eyes wide in rage hisses at his female underling. She grips her salvaged spear, a rusty crude thing and advances slowly toward you, making small,testing jabs.

> get close, pimp slap her with your shield (d20)

>Aggressive approach (d20)

>let her come to you (d20)

Write in (d20)
>>
>>1312048
If our spear is like the one here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IX6ByFXl8
It might cut a human in half.
around 33:28 mark
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>1312090

The insolence, make a two handed upward swing, split her from her breasts to her face for wasting our time.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>1312090
And im sooo slow at posting
> get close, pimp slap her with your shield (d20)
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>1312090
>Chuck our shield at her as she begins to commit to a stab.
>If she dodges, use the chance to close the distance and attempt to gut her, while grabbing the shaft of her spear in our newly-freed hand. This forces her to either abandon her weapon or risk getting stabbed.
I'm assuming here that her spear is long and two-handed, and hence unwieldy for the purposes of parrying our shield.
>>
>17! Great success!
>we capt. America now

You take a moment to regard your opponent. Her spear is long but seems too heavy for her and very awkward in untrained hands. Still, you dont want to get close to that rusted out edge. You cock your head and wait until she walks closer to a wall, you dont want to lose it this time. You let go of your shields inset grip and catch it by its edge, her eyes widen in shock as you pivot and fling it at her head.

With a think of steel teeth biting into wood your shield comes to rest buried in a wall, a smear of blood along one edge. The female zealot clasps both hands to the side of her throat and collapses, kicking feebly as her veins empty. You kick her spear away from her and step over her dying body. The Zealot ringleader has visibly begun to panic. He alternates between jabbing at you and at the large Tainted male, busy guarding his unconscious mate.

"Get back freak! Back! Oh yes once Brother Duros gets her you'll pay! Oh yes you will!"

>Shut up. Disarm him and spear him (d20)

>wanna pull the legs off this bug big guy? (Kick him in range of the Tainted male)

>go on. Get!
>>
>>1312204
>Wanna pull the legs off this bug big guy? (Kick him in range of the Tainted male)
Let the guy get some in. We need to get our shield out of that wall before enemy reinforcements come anyway.
>>
>>1312217

Agreed
>>
>>1312204
>>wanna pull the legs off this bug big guy? (Kick him in range of the Tainted male)
Share the xp
>>
You drop your guard, inviting the Zealot to attack, which he happily does. As his spear whistles toward your head you sidestep, gripping the shaft in both hands (heh) and launching a fierce kick directly into his midsection. With a winded *OF* the unlucky man flies backward, landing at the feet of the Tainted he had been about to brutally murder only minutes before. With a pleased grunt he reaches down and grips the Zealot by the throat, lifting him high into the air. With a wet squelch one clawed fist disappears into the mans belly while the other grips his throat tightly. The Tainted's arms bulge for a moment before the Zealots head is torn from his shoulders, the mouth working uselessly for a moment. The brutalized remains are thrown aside and he stoops to wipe his hands clean on the female zealots robes.

"Thanks for that. Im Dirge, my mate Friena was injured. Ive seen you sround before. Had no idea you could fight like THAT though. Friena's hurt though, I need to get her out of here"

>Head to the Stables with Dirge (away from violence)

>Help Dirge hide Friena and have him accompany you into the Town square (toward Violence)

>Have Dirge carry Friena while you loot some supplies (armory, healer, moneylender)
>>
>>1312334
>Have Dirge carry Friena while you loot some supplies (armory, healer, moneylender)
Most likely too late for anybody else, lets get his mate healed (maby), From the looting of the healer.
>>
>>1312334

Looting in the midst of chaos is definitely a just a noble choice of action.
Also if we can consume raw flesh might as well take some remains for the road.
>>
>lets loot

"Good idea. Ill carry her,you cover us ok?" the concern is obvious even in the rumbling growl that is Dirges voice.

He gently scoops up Friena, her slight form nestled against him as she held a blood soaked rag against a slash on her belly. You hurry on, Dirge trotting along behind you as you make your way toward the healers hut,the screams and carnage growing fainter behind you. You pass so many dead and dying it makes you feel ill. So much senseless death. You step around a smoking corpse and make a point to stomp on the face of a badly wounded Zealot. The crunch of the mans teeth breaking is nothing to the wet pulping sound as Dirge steps squarely on his skull.

The healers hut comes into view and it seems to have been mostly undamaged, some broken windows and a guttering torch on the metal lined roof. You knock and a irritated voice immediately answers

"The hell do you pasty assed book thumpers want? If you think im stitching your dumb asses up your out of your damn mi- oh hi Dirge. What happened dearie? Oh my Friena went and got herself hurt? I told you two to be careful. She's delicate you big brute"

You roll your eyes as the doddering old woman bosses Dirge around like a small child. She catches you staring and shoos you out the door.

"I need room to work in here so unless you want to be a organ donor you better get!"

>Sit tight and wait for the healer to finish with Friena

>Call Dirge and Go loot the Armory
>>
>>1312553
>>Sit tight and wait for the healer to finish with Friena
Don't want the healer or Friena to be raided while we're gone.
Dirge might get upset at us.
>>
>>1312584

As much as I want our protag to indulge in this hearty slaughter, sticking around a able bodied ally and healer is probably a good idea.
>>
>sit tight and wait

You and Dirge take the opportunity to discuss the "Cleansing". Dirge had worked in the blacksmiths quarter and had been witness to the execution of the village elders when the Militia arrived and pulled them from their homes. He had taken Friena through back streets toward the stables but they had been ambushed and she was wounded. That was when you arrived and saved their collective bacon. From the way the screaming in the distance was dying down it seems the village you had called home for the past year had been mostly depopulated...

Shame. You liked this place.

A short while later the Healer bumps the door open and waves you both in.

"Come in dearies, come in. Ive got Friena right as rain. Stitched up tighter than a crabs ass. Now you take these and get out of town before those nutjobs find you. Ive packed you all some food for the road and some supplies in case you dipshits hurt yourselves. Friena has some books on Basic healing and Herbcraft so she can help if you're too soft headed."

The tiny old woman hands you a large pack, stuffed full with trail foods and supplies, Dirge carries two, one crammed full with small jars, packets and books while the other is full of miscellaneous trail supplies and blankets.

"They'll kill you, slowly, if they find out you helped us escape " Dirge rumbles solemnly "we can get a wagon and you can come with us"

The blow they follows with a wooden spoon makes you wince

"Dearie Ive seen worse things than those chucklefucks when you were still sucking your mothers teats. Besides, what will they do? Cut short my young life? Go go. Ill be fine"

Dirge shoulders both packs and lifts Friena in one arm while hefting his massive maul with the other. You adjust your straps and lead the way out the back door, waving goodbye as you see the Old Healer mixing several powders and chemicals in a large jug before the door swings shut behind you. .

>Head toward the Stables

>hoof it toward the next village, warn them

>camp your asses out in the woods
>>
>>1312744

Let's just set up camp, no fire though. Let's just lurk near by and see what these purists do next.
>>
>>1312744
>hoof it toward the next village, warn them
>>
>>1312744
>Head toward the Stables
Have Dirge & Friena hang back, if we got horses, we can make it to the next village easier.
>>
>We've got one vote for each. Need a tie breaker or a vote change friendos
>>
>>1314036
Tie breaker coming in.
>>
>>1312821
Support for this. Better to know where they are going, so we have some actual information before we flee
>>
>>1314204
Don't want to run in the same direction they are going.
>>
>Make for the woods, observe the Purity militia

You do your best to make for the woods at the edge of your freshly destroyed village, Dirge lumbering behind you. The healers hut rapidly falls away into the distance as you hear a large group of the Zealots approach. The crash of the thin door being broken down reaches your ears followed by a deep roar and the sky behind you lights up with the rolling orange of a massive fireball, consuming the crowd of Lunatics gathered around the tiny hut along with the hut itself. Friena chokes back a small sob, hugging herself around Dirges thick neck. You swallow a lump in your throat and turn back, continuing on toward the woods.

You pick your way through the thick trees and fallen brush, circling around through the Treeline to observe the main road. As Dirge sets his wounded mate down and begins clearing a small area for a shelter you finally get a good look at Friena.

She is in many ways, Dirge's complete opposite. Where he is a mountain of muscle and leathery hide, claws and scars prominent she is a small woman, petite and almost frail looking, her eyes bright green and slitted while her ears extend a good six inches through her hair and constantly swivel as she begins searching her bag for a tinderbox.

"No fires" you whisper quietly. The last thing you want is a horde of those crazed Cultists swarming you while you sleep.

Dirge nods, wrapping Friena in a thick blanket and leaning back against a tree, his maul resting across his knees as she curls against him.

"Ill take first watch" you whisper and sling your spear over your shoulder, a leather strap holding it tight. You hook your claws into a thick trees bark and pull yourself upwards, climbing high into the upper branches with an excellent view of the road and surrounding valley.

As your head clears the leaves you look around the valley and a chill settles in your heart. The nearby villages of Bramble and Smallport are infernos in the distance. Lines of torches can be seen gathering in the fields around massive Pyres consuming the "impure" residents. Your village of Fog hill wasnt the only one to be "Cleansed" it seems. As you watch a large group of the Cultists begin marching out of your village, many leading beasts from the stables piled high with stolen goods and food. From the shiny new weapons many are holding they seem to have found the armory. They march down the road, waving torches and singing praises to the Grand Purifier and their order as they are led by a white robed, mace wielding man on horseback. That must be Brother Duros. As you watch their column is joined by the trickles of other groups returning from Bramble and Smallport. A veritable river of torches flows down the main road and turns west, Headed toward the only large town near this area. The Marauder Town of Lonely Peak.

>The Cleansing Crusade is headed toward the minor town of Lonely Peak.
>>
>comment got too long

>Use the woods to provide a shortcut to Lonely Peak and warn them of the impending shitstorm

>Head as far away from these nutjobs as possible, get to the ruins of Smallport and see if you can find a boat to get downriver.

>Other
>>
>>1314828

Welp looks like its a full scale war. It be foolish for us to even consider going that general direction. And if it's a minor town, I doubt the population there will have much of a fighting chance against such mass opposition.

But on the bright side there will be lots of carnage so it's off to hell we go!
>>
>>1314839
>>Use the woods to provide a shortcut to Lonely Peak and warn them of the impending shitstorm
Try to help them, and possibly pick up more supplies.
>>
>shortcut through the woods

You have to warn them. The inhabitants of Lonely Peak can't be caught unaware like you were here, its the biggest town within several days ride and if they were attacked without warning it would be a massacre!

You slide down the trunk of the tree, your claws slowing your descent and land lightly next to the dozing Dirge and Friena.

"Wake up. Those crazy bastards sacked Smallport and Bramble, looks like they were after supplies as well as our heads. Seems theyre headed to attack Lonely Peak and they've got the supplies for a siege, we need to warn them!"

Dirge immediately stands, stuffing items back into his pack and taking the still weak Friena in his arms. His massive maul is slung over his back within easy reach.

"Ready when you are" he rumbles. Good that he can appreciate urgency.

You set off South-west, using the forest to make a handy detour. What would be a week or more of travel by foot on the road would be 2 to 3 days of travel through the forest. You'd hunted these woods quite often. You knew the way. There were three possible routes you could take...

>Follow the ridge leading up to the Lonely Peak (medium speed, moderate chance of monster/enemy encounter) D20

>Follow the river to the base of Lonely Peak (Slow speed, Low chance of Monster/enemy encounter) D20

>Straight through the woods, stop for nothing (high speed, high chance of monster/ enemy encounter)
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>1315445
>Follow the river to the base of Lonely Peak (Slow speed, Low chance of Monster/enemy encounter)
>>
>>1315455

We can play it safe for now murder will come
>>
>>1315542
You forgot to roll.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>1315445
>Follow the ridge leading up to the Lonely Peak (medium speed, moderate chance of monster/enemy encounter) D20
Be too slow, and we won't make it there in time to marshal a defense.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>1315555

You sure ya want my luck?
>>
>>1315588
No.
>>
>1. CRITICAL SUCCESS
>This week on.... River Monsters!

You smell the river long before you see it, the decay of leaves and mud in this area is strong. Several large deer, many sporting multiple eyes and rough hides bound away as you approach their drinking area. You stand on the riverbank with Dirge directly behind you, Friena riding comfortably on his back, nestled between the twin packs. You take a moment to reference your mental map of the area and remember a crossing several miles down that will allow you quicker access to the city.

You set off along the river bank with Dirge close behind, your feet squelching in the mud. You occasionally catch glances of your reflection in the water as you walk. Eyes flashing bright in the shadows of your hood, teeth glinting sharply, face slashed to the bone and eyes plucked out- wait what!?

A corpse bobs to the surface as it drifts past, a young man, Tainted by the look of him. His body and face horrifically mutilated and torn. His clothes would suggest he was a Scavenger. Yet scavengers work in teams of ten or more, where are the rest of his group?

That question is answered as the current continues by, an arm here, a leg, half a torso, part of a skull. A near endless flood of human and Tainted remains. Something bad went down upriver. Very bad.

You turn to motion Dirge on when a large splash behind you makes you whirl. A ripple in the water marks a where a severed torso had been floating serenely moments before. As you watch a cloud of blood and offal spreads through the water. Something big is in there and its hungry and odds are it knows your here.

You unsheathe your spear and take a few steps back from the riverbank, motioning for Dirge to drop his packs and set Friena somewhere safe. As he hurries to comply a ripple in the water catches your eye. Its coming your way.

FAST

You leap back and to the side, narrowly missing the jaws and scything claws coming down where you had been only moments before.

Shit. Its a Behemoth. Just a small one but still.. A Fucking Behemoth. It towers over you and even over Dirges 7 foot frame. Its face resembles that of a skinned crocodile's with much too many rolling eyes. Its body is equal parts exposed muscle, leathery hide and sharp spurs of bone. 6 limbs all ending in either razor share claws or broad fins support its bulk and its tail lashes sides to side, the barbs and spikes gouging the surrounding trees.
A collection of arrows and even a large Serrated spear blade emerge from its sides and back.

>BEHEMOTH FIGHT

>Have Dirge keep its attention, Try to get behind it (D20)

>Throw your Shield at its Face (D20)

>Keep its attention, let Dirge cripple its legs (D20)

>Keep it Distracted and see if Friena can whip up a poison or 2 (D20)
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>1315765
>>Keep its attention, let Dirge cripple its legs
Lets slow it down then run like hell.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>1315803

Supporting but if we get it down our spear needs to go through its head.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>1315765
>Other
>Run? There's no reason we actually need to fight this thing, assuming we can get away. We hare more important priorities to get on with.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>1315765
>Keep its attention, let Dirge cripple its legs (D20)

So long as it goes down and we get away from it works.
>>
>16! Good success!
>Fuck this! RUN

You turn as the wounded Behemoth roars in fury at you and spare Dirge a glance

"GRAB YOUR SHIT YOU BIG FUCKER "

Friena wraps both arms around his neck as he grabs a pack in both hands, you swipe a bloody line across the beasts face and it recoils with a hiss, having bought Dirge some time you belt away after him into the trees, their proximity preventing the Behemoth from following. The beasts roars of impotent rage follow you for miles and you can't help but think about that Spear blade jutting from its side. Maybe another time.

You continue following the river (albeit not so closely) for several miles. You occsssionally see more deer of the normal and mutated varieties along with a creature in the distance that resembles a gigantic horned bear. Yet you eventually reach the river crossing and camp down for the night.

>Take watch (d20)

>Dirge takes watch (d20)
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>1315989
>Take watch (d20)
First watch best watch.
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>1315989
Let Dirge and Friena rest for a bit.
>>
Need 1 more roll people!
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>1315989
>Take watch (d20)
>>
>18! Excellent success!

Your years of practice allow you to relax into a watchful rest, a meditative state that allows your body to recover while you are aware of eveythibg around you. The scuffle of insects and rodents in the undergrowth, Dirges rockslide-like snores, the faint flutter of an owls wings in the canopy.
Small reflective eyes glint out of the darkness,matching your own.

You allow yourself a small moment of relaxation as you finally come to terms. You are *ALIVE*. You survived the Purity militia and actually escaped a Behemoth on the hunt. Your proud of yourself.

A large squirrel- like creature attempts to rob a package of sweets from your pack and is rapidly speared. You munch on dripping raw flesh, a welcome supplement to the dried trail foods.

A scuffle in the undergrowth catches your attention and you focus on it, a small hand, wrapped in rags and strips of rawhide emerges from a bush and grabs your discarded Squirrel- thing skin, vanishing almost instantly with its prize. You faintly catch the near noiseless steps rapidly disappearing into the forest. It seems your being followed but for the most part it seems harmless.

>Wake Dirge for watch

>Wake Friena for watch
>>
>>1316224
>>Wake Dirge for watch
Do we need to roll?
>>
>>1316224

>Wake Dirge for watch
>>
>>1316224

Wake Dirge, don't want him getting any implications were after his gal
>>
>>1316231
No this is just who will be in charge for the night while you sleep
>>
>>1316224
>Wake Dirge for watch
Leave last watch(?) for Friena.
>>
>Wake Dirge

You glance at the stars. Halfway through the night or thereabouts. You stand, dusting yourself off and walk over to your pack, setting out your sleeping bag. You nudge Dirges shoulder firmly and his rumbling snores ceased, his eyes cracking open

"Time for my watch already? Alrighty go get some sleep " he props himself against his tree and grips his maul carefully.

You collapse on your bag and are asleep almost instantly.

>morning

The dim light of dawn wakes you just before Dirge does, the massive man leaning back with a chuckle, clearly about to deliver a bone bruising poke.

"Friena has got breakfast ready if you want some, friend." you lean your head up and are greeted by several small spreads of seeds,nuts and several berries.

As you emerge from your sleeping bag you noticed a cylinder of antler jutting from the ground next your sleeping bag. You withdraw it with some difficulty and find a small, flint dagger bound to the antler with a rather fresh piece of rawhide. It seems a "thank you" was left. Or a threat. Either way, free knife. You stow the small blade in a empty sheath in your jacket.

After breakfast you shoulder your packs again and set off across the river, the shallow section barely reaches your knees. Dirge complains bitterly that it was in his boots while Friena looks down curiously.

"That looks cold" she says with a small smile. Her voice as small as the rest of her. Dirge scowls but quickly chuckles like a avalanche as you lose your footing and step into a waist deep section

Brrr.

Delicate bits now flash frozen you hurry across the river and begin walking doubletime in an attempt to warm back up. You think your about a day from Lonely peak.

>question Dirge about his watch skills

>Question Dirge and Friena about their skills

>Other
>>
>>1316293
>Question Dirge and Friena about their skills
>>
>>1316293
>>Other
Inform your party there seems to be a wildish follower. Don't want them accidentally killing or harming it.
>>
>Backstory time!

"So Dirge, what did you do back in the village?" if you and this colossus are gonna be traveling together you'll need to know what he knows how to do.

"Oh I worked security for Convoys when I was younger. They taught me how to fight and how to work on equipment. When I got out i settled down in Fog Hill and got a job in a blacksmiths shop, learned how to forge and remake weapons and armor "

Interesting. On top of being a walking battering ram hes a capable blacksmith and repair man. Nifty.

"Friena? What about you? What's your story?" you ask of the slight figure riding Dirges shoulders.

"Oh me? I spent my whole life in Fog Hill actually. I apprenticed under the Healer when I was a girl but I had to help my mother run our store after my father died. That's where I met this big softie " she affectionately pinches Dirges cheek, you doubt he even felt it.

So she knows basic Herbcraft, Healing and knows how to haggle and barter. Good deal.

You continue on in companiable silence before Dirge speaks up.

"What about you? What's your story?"

>Name time! And character Backstory!

>I was a bad guy in my youth. A raider, thief, mercenary, I learned how to fight and sneak but I eventually gave that life up to live in Fog hill, in peace.

>I was a Convoy guard like you. I learned how to fight and maintain equipment but I spent more time caring for the animals than our gear, I settled in Fog hill to begin setting up a convoy hub.

>I was a ranger/Bounty hunter. I hunted dangerous men and beasts to improve the safety of the countryside. I learned all the tricks to hunting and killing men and monsters and how to acquire the best bounties. I settled in Fog hill for a lengthy vacation after a particularly hard hunt

>other

Name-Write in pls, first to 3 votes wins
>>
>>1316395
I have no imagination, so lets go with
>I was a ranger/Bounty hunter. I hunted dangerous men and beasts to improve the safety of the countryside. I learned all the tricks to hunting and killing men and monsters and how to acquire the best bounties. I settled in Fog hill for a lengthy vacation after a particularly hard hunt
>>
>>1316395

Let's go extra tragic!

"Early in my youth I was taken by the purists and made to fight other tainted to the death for their amusement. I was unfortunately great at it, for 7 years I slayed my own kind under the oppression of those madmen. I escaped by chance when 2 purists thought they'd come in my cell to beat me"

Name Raulas
>>
>>1316439
How about this and then we became a bounty hunter afterwards
>>
>>1316439
Oooh I like this one
>>
>>1316395
>"I was born to a merchant caravan that ran afoul of a Purist militia when I was fourteen. Went about the whole business of furiously trying to get revenge for a few years before I came to the realization that I wouldn't ever get any real satisfaction that way, and settled down somewhere I hoped I could actually make a difference."
>"Name's Nepenthe, in case you didn't already know."
>>
>>1316445

So long as our protag has a bloody history I'm all for it
>>
>Former Gladiator Turned Bounty Hunter.

There back before you can even brace yourself. Visions of those white robed men pulling you from your home, your mothers screams as they laughed. Your fathers head mounted on a spike outside your door. Your younger brother led behind you on a chain to the city of Bastion. He died along the way and they made you drag him for miles, whipping you all the way.

When you got there you had been sold to the Blood Pits. At the age of 11 you killed your first man, ripping his throat out with your teeth. The crowd loved you and hated you. "The Viper" they'd called you. You always hated that name. Your mother had called you Raulas. That was your name.

Over the years you killed so many men you lost count. Tainted, Humans, Marauders. You slaughtered them all. Dozens, hundreds. A river of blood that could never wash you clean.

One night two of the guards had gotten drunk and decided they could beat you. The "Mighty Viper "was a prize they could brag about in the brothels. One of them dropped his keys in the excitement.

Two more mangled bodies? Nothing to your track record. You escaped and fled into Tainted Territory. You spent years as a bounty hunter, putting your lethal skills to use. You'd actually just gone into vacation after tracking down a marauder chieftain named Lurz. A strip of his skin adorned your spear

>Brutal Past- Bonuses to armed and unarmed combat. Can get a 10% increase to bounties.
>>
You continue on, not breaking the shocked silence that came from Dirge and Frienas shocked silence. Dirges heavy hand plops onto your shoulder, almost knocking you over.

"Im....sorry my friend. You did not deserve that life" he rumbles softly, you cut him a glance and notice a Frienas eyes glistening with tears.

You nod and continue on. Tracing your thumb along the rows of small raised scars along the inside of your forearm. You'd stopped counting at 257.

As you walk you slowly see the lake at the foot of Lonely Peak come into view through the trees as the sun sets.

You can make camp or continue on through the night.

>Camp

>Night march
>>
>>1316505

Let's get some night marching done hopefully dirge is capable of seeing in the dark.
>>
>>1316505
>Night march
The quicker we get to Lonely Peak, the more time they'll have to prepare for the incoming raid.
>>
>>1316505
>Camp
>>
>>1316505
>Night march
>>
>watch your step, its dark and were moving.

"Come on, lets hurry and get there as soon as we can"

Dirge nods and quickens his pace behind you. Your eyes adjust quickly to the dwindling light as the sun sets and the miles melt beneath your feet. The nocturnal animals begin stirring and you lock your eyes on a owl that launches itself into the air only to come down like a arrow onto a field mouse.

Good kill.

You use the heavy butt of your spear as a walking stick, the steady "thump" helping you set your pace. As you walk the mountain citadel of Lonely Peak comes into view fully.

A open port on one side of the city allows boats to freely come in and out to collect the bountiful fish in the lake and allows trade from small villages upriver, walls of timber and stone stretch around the other 3 sides, each standing nearly twenty feet high with a large keep built directly into a sheer cliff on the mountainside.

You'll be there by morning easily.

>Timeskip because you guys did GREAT on random encounter rolls. Absolutely nada.

You approach the gates of Lonely Peak, already you can see the gathering of refugees from Bramble,Smallport and even a few from Fog Hill! The guards outside, Marauders mostly, don't seem eager to let them in.

>Oi! Let us in you fucks! I need to talk to your boss! (D20)

>Smoothtalk your way in (D20)

>Sneak in (D20)
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>1316597
>Oi! Let us in you fucks! I need to talk to your boss! (D20)
Gotta speak the marauder language
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>1316597
>smooth talk

Just tell the guards themselves that a purist army is coming.
That counts as smooth talk right?

Not sure I wanna go into the place that's gonna be a smoldering heap of ash though.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>1316597
>>Oi! Let us in you fucks! I need to talk to your boss! (D20)
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>1316597
>There's a whole buncha Purist fucks on their way here, enough to give even you lot trouble. Now lemme go tell your boss, or tell him your damn selves.
>Either way, shove off and let us in, we've been rushing here all night to get the word over, and we're dead tired. I ain't in the mood right now.
>>
>8!Slim failure

You step up to one of the hulking brutes guarding the gate with crossed spears. You have to crane your neck to keep his eyes and stand square shouldered and confident.

"You! I have business with your commander, I know of a great threat to his city that approaches, already several villages have been put to the torch and others will follow, I must speak with him!"

The Marauder sneers down at you. His face is a combination of a twisted human and a wolves, large jaws with sharp canines and twitching ears. He stands at least 8 feet tall.

"All problems big for small ones. You wait here. Guard boss will be here after Citizen business dealed with. Not before. Wait turn."

Ugh. Fucking morons.

You can either force him out of the way or try to convince him again.

>Kick his shit in. Marauders respect strength (D20)

>Have Dirge kick his shit in, maybe they also respect cleverness (d20)

>Pretty please? (Write in) (d20)
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>1316644

I bet this will get a 20

Infatuate the moron with our rugged looks!
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>1316644
>Kick his shit in. Marauders respect strength (D20)
A mob that can so easily slaughter so many villages is a big problem for you too, idiot. If you're so eager to die, maybe you would prefer to get that out of the way now instead of later as well? Maybe that will convince whoever comes out to replace you that this is a matter worth dying for?

Don't actually kill him, of course.
>>
Need one more roll guys!
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>1316664
Supporting this.
>>
>17! Great success!!
>let the mojo flow!!

You take a deep breathe and stand back. You need to be smooth here.

"Listen big guy, Im in a REALLY big hurry and it is very important to us that your boss hears this news. If he doesn't like my news you can throw me out and look like a hero in front if everybody. Not implying you don't already, what with those big muscles and fierce claws everyone is probably terrified of you respects you!"

The compliment and sweet talk take a moment to soak into the guards pea sized brain. He lifts his spear and ushers you inside with a bark of

"Gurguk! Watch big door. Be back in minute"

Inside the city walls as yiure escorted to the keep you take a moment to observe the market quarter, you see...

>a large tavern

>A bounty board

>A blacksmith and armored

>a stable

>a General store

>a healers office

You hurry after your guard escort as picks up the pace, pushing through a crowd of refugees clustered in front if a large set of doors. He knocks loudly and they creak open slowly...

And that's all for tonight folks! Ill be back tomorrow around 2-3ish
>>
>>1316816
>A blacksmith and armored
and
>a large tavern
>>
>>1316816
>A bounty board
>>
>>1316816
>>1317666
I'll back this.
>>
>>1316816
Not going to see the head honcho?
>>
>>1316816
Not really a good time to dilly dally, considering we rushed all night to get here. Let's follow big guy.
>>
Rest in peace Raul as. You were a tease to a gate guard.
>>
>>1334189
>>1334189
Got temporarily b&. Rebooted the Quest. Come join the party guys!
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.