[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thief King Quest #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: thiefkingquest.jpg (516KB, 775x506px) Image search: [Google]
thiefkingquest.jpg
516KB, 775x506px
You are an up-and-coming thief, proving your skills to a notorious underground guild.

Yesterday you had your first practical thief exam, which ended with you being ambushed by the military police. Nevertheless, you managed to steal the target golden goblet, which was then taken from you by Field Master Kuebel, a supposed mentor and well respected examiner.

You are in your bunk tent. Your bed is unbelievably comfortable. Possibly too comfortable, but luckily you’ve always managed to be a light sleeper, as right now a shadowy figure is crawling across your tent’s rugged floor towards you.

> Call out for help.
> Pull out a dagger on stand-by from beneath your pillow.
> Try to reason with the person.
> Go back to sleep, it’s probably just a dream.
>>
>>1258867
>> Pull out a dagger on stand-by from beneath your pillow
>>
>>1258867
>Pull out a dagger on stand-by from beneath your pillow.
>>
Your reflexes are excellent. You pull out a small dagger from beneath your pillow to press against the neck of the mysterious figure.

‘Uwwahh!’ stutters a familiar voice.

It’s hard to see in the low light, but it’s unmistakably Banjobe crawling across your floor. You wait for him to explain himself.

‘Heyy, it’s me! I- I j- just came to say we got the tool-box back. Criminy, you can put the knife down!’ Banjobe blurts.

You release his neck, but keep the knife in front in caution.

‘You never said the military police were after you! It’s lucky Tanto went to Val for more information before we set off.’ Banjobe gets up onto his feet, but remains low. ‘We found Kuebel too passed out in a puddle of sewage. He was holding the goblet you stole- together with his hand, it was the only thing not covered in crap. He’s currently in the infirmary.’

‘What time is it?’ You rub your eyes.

‘Uhh, 5 am? Um, I shouldn’t be here. Field Master Tanto said to let you sleep. So I better go to bed. We have that pickpocking session in a couple of hours.’

So far you’ve slept for 3 hours, you could use the extra sleep, but part of you wants to know more about what happened with Kuebel.

> Thank Banjobe for getting the tool-box, and try to go back to sleep.
> Ask Banjobe for his opinion on Kuebel.
> Get up and go find Kuebel in the infirmary.
> [Write-in]
>>
>>1258966
>Get up and go find Kuebel in the infirmary.
>>
You get up off of your bed and start to make your way out of the tent.

‘Where are you going?’ Banjobe asks. ‘And why are you wearing all of your thieving gear?’

You adjust your two overlapping cloaks, lining them up. ‘I’m going to talk to Kuebel in the infirmary.’

‘He’s unconscious! I doubt you’ll be able to ask him about anything. What happened anyway?’ Banjobe starts following you.

‘Go to bed Banjobe. You need to rest.’ You tell him.

Banjobe is silent before conceding. ‘Ok, just don’t get your hopes up.’

The hall leading to the infirmary is to the eastward wall of the hub- it’s one of the more recently added extensions with the expansion of the guild.

You let yourself into the infirmary- it’s unlocked, and just as Banjobe said, Kuebel is there in one of the metal beds. He’s obviously been washed, but you can still smell him from the door. Getting closer, you can see his face- which has up to now almost been entirely concealed from you in your interactions with him. He’s younger looking than you imagined. Early 40s, long ragged black hair, with grey streaks.

He knows you are here.

‘Hey rookie, shouldn’t you be sleeping? the pick-pocketing exam is tomorrow.’ He says casually with a smile through his beard.

> Punch Kuebel in the mouth.
> Why did you steal the goblet!?
> Was the house a set up? Two people had been murdered, the police were waiting.
> [Write in]
>>
>>1259005
>Was the house a set up? Two people had been murdered, the police were waiting.
>>
File: tincture.jpg (10KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
tincture.jpg
10KB, 416x416px
‘Was the house a set up? Two people had been murdered, the police were waiting.’ You engage Kuebel.

‘You found two people dead? Hmm. That’s either incredibly bad luck or we have some field scouts to question.’ Kuebel flexes his shoulders. ‘I think wondering whether it was a setup is a little dramatic.’ He shuts his eyes.

You wait for Kuebel to say something else, but nothing comes of it.

‘Isn’t there something else you want to tell me?’ You ask Kuebel.

‘Huh?’ He replies.

‘Were you so stoked up on moonshade you’ve forgotten how inebriated you were?’

‘Hey, keep it down.’ Kuebel opens an eye darting around the room, particularly at the entrance. ‘I took some moonshade because I thought I saw someone entering the house, I needed the extra night vision. It was dark. I had it under control.’ Kuebel sighs. ‘Everything turned out ok, so let’s just leave it at that.’ He puts his head back into his pillow, but leans up again. ‘You didn’t tell Val anything did you?’

‘I said you got high and ran off with the goblet.’ You tell him.

Kuebel raises both eyebrows and takes a heavy and slow blink.

‘I know it was bad. I’m sorry I ran off. I just didn’t want Val to see me like that. As if moonshade hangovers don’t give me enough headache, she has to add to it.’ He grinds his teeth. ‘It’s no use, I’ve tried to quit.’

> Tell Kuebel he has to go cold turkey.
> Ask him why he allowed himself to get addicted to moonshade.
> Tell him you want to switch to Val as your mentor while he recovers.
> [Write in]
>>
>>1259126
>Ask him why he allowed himself to get addicted to moonshade.
>>
>>1259126
>Tell him you want to switch to Val as your mentor while he recovers.
"The only bloody reason that I was able to even get you out of there alive is due to some dumb luck. You are a mess, and nearly ruined the exam by stumbling onto the grounds."
>>
>>1259220

‘Why did you let yourself get so addicted to that stuff?’ You enquire.

He looks set back and his eyes zone out beyond the ceiling. He murmurs words like they’re out of a handbook. ‘Moonshade is a perfectly legitimate piece of equipment in the arsenal of a fully fledged thief.’ He winces. ‘If I had always used it when necessary... my partner would be alive today.’

>>1259274

You try to understand Kuebel, but this doesn’t change the situation.

‘I want to switch to Val as my mentor while you recover. You can’t use moonshade anymore.’ You tell him.

‘Very well, I understand.’ He pouts.

Just on cue, Val approaches out of sight, walking up to Kuebel behind a ward curtain still partially enclosing the bed. She yanks it to surprise him. Kuebel jumps.

‘I have no problem with this. The future thief is right, while you're sober now, you still need time to pull yourself together.’ Val slams her clipboard into Kuebel’s lap. ‘You can do my paperwork for now, starting with reassigning...’ She pauses and looks puzzled. ‘What’s your name again?

Kuebel shrugs.

‘You don’t know the name of your only current student!?’ Val picks up the clipboard to slam it down again.

‘I only just met ‘em 6 hours ago, and I think you can appreciate that I can’t offer a reliable account of those interluding hours. Tanto knows, he introduced me.’

Val turns to you. ‘What’s your name?’
>>
>>1259463
> Choose a name for the thief.
>>
>>1259463
Umbra Latronum
>>
>>1259478
Seconding Umbra.
>>
‘Umbra. Umbra Latronum.’

‘Ahh yes, that was it.’ Val nods. She also gives an expression like she just caught a funny smell. ‘Wait… Latronum, that sounds familiar.’

Kuebels eyes spark. ‘Latronum. Are you related to Silvia Latronum?’ This is the exact question he asked 6 hours ago.’

‘Yes, she’s my mother.’ You reply.

Kuebel hiccups into a laugh. ‘Ahh yes, that was right. That explains why you are wearing that cloak beneath the one we gave you. I thought you were a bit odd, but now it makes more sense.’

Val, impatient, ushers the conversation to a close. ‘I need to prepare for the pickpocketing challenge. There’s no use trying to go back to sleep Umbra, you might as well come with me.’

On your way out, Kuebel tries to get the last word in, looking slightly embarrassed. ‘Val, please don’t get wrong idea. I wasn’t that far gone. I was in control. I was trying to help.’ He tries to do a cheeky grin to get away with it.

This frustrates you- he put both of your lives at risk. ‘The only bloody reason that I was able to even get you out of there alive is due to dumb luck. You are a mess, and nearly ruined the exam by stumbling onto the grounds.’ You tell Kuebel. It was harsh, but he needed to hear it.

Kuebel gives out a haughty laugh ‘Dumb luck, sounds like a new nickname for me!’. He maintains the charade, but you can see his pride diminishing while he was sweats.

Val looks like she wants to hit him, but shakes her head instead ‘Get some sleep Kuebel, I’ll come get my clipboard once you’ve worked through it.’

Val walks you out of the infirmary and down the hall towards the hub.

(continued)
>>
Tanto, who you’ve only met once, is charging towards you the opposite way, stopping you both. Tanto is fairly largely built, and his face is covered with scars.

‘Val! Have you seen this?’ He slaps a newspaper on the front page. ‘Oscar Ranford. Sound familiar?’ He forcefully whispers to Val. Before she can reply, he continues. ‘He was found dead at the house Umbra was stealing a goblet from. What’s going on, I thought you had your field scouts case that place.’

‘Wow you already have today’s newspaper? I’m sorry, I don’t know who Oscar Ranford is.’ Val replies.

‘He’s one of the leaders of the Flaming Hand- the uprising in Falwick. He was found dead in the house along with a supposed mistress. He was probably hiding out in Mosston to avoid heat, no good that’s done him. He’s dead. Now I’m not accusing Umbra of anything, it’s not like we can prove anything, but God Val, do you know how bad this is? The article perpetuates a robbery gone wrong. You know the Hand is going to come questioning us.’ Tanto looks at you. ‘Did you kill Oscar?’

‘No.’ You reply. ‘Him and the woman were dying when I got there.

Tanto puts his arms behind his head and looks to scream internally. ‘I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry Umbra, we have to detain you.’

‘Oh there’s point detaining Umbra.’ Val interjects. ‘We have the pickpocketing challenge today, we’ll just secure the premises.’

‘Fine. That will work. Sorry again Umbra. It’s difficult times as you can understand.’ He takes a deep breath. ‘I’ll rally up the field scouts and ask them what’s what.’

‘Go ahead without me Umbra, I’ll meet you at the parkour arena.’ Val says. Both of them run off. There’s only one way out of here, they are probably going to lock the gate and investigate the situation.

Most of the applicants are up now. You see Yujo flicking playing cards around her hands. You’ve never talked to her before. The other applicants are also about the make their way to the parkour arena.

> Go talk to Yujo.
> Walk with the other applicants the arena.
> Go straight to the parkour arena.
> [Write in]
>>
>>1259782
>Talk to Yujo,

>"What's happening beautiful?"
>>
>>1259782
>Go talk to Yujo.
>>
>>1259845
>>1259847

You jostle up to Yujo. ‘What’s happening beautiful?’

This doesn’t deter her meticulous motions, wisping the cards around like they are possessed. She silently commands them to pile up in her palm. She then fans them and shows you the deck. ‘Pick a card.’ One of her eyes is hidden behind her straight black hair, but the one available is looking at you intensely.

> Ace of spades.
> Joker
> Queen of hearts.
> [Write In]
>>
>>1259908
>Joker
>>
>>1259908
>Queen of Hearts
>"A pretty card for a pretty girl."
>>
>>1259908
> Queen of hearts.
>>
>>1259908
>Joker
Best way to avoid them is to have them close.
>>
File: parkourspace.jpg (297KB, 902x400px) Image search: [Google]
parkourspace.jpg
297KB, 902x400px
You nonchalantly gesture your hand forward to take the Joker, and just before you pick it, Yujo’s eye widens. Did she know what card that was, how could she? You take the Queen of Hearts and twist your wrist to show her.

“A pretty card for a pretty girl.” You say to her.

“You’re not supposed to show me the card. I can’t guess what it is now dummy.” She takes the card away from you and flits her hand- the card is... gone.

Arms wrap around you and Yujo’s shoulders. Spencer is approaching from behind. ‘Hey watch out for this one. That’s advice for both of you. Are you two ready for the pickpocketing challenge? Lockpicking is my thing, but I think it’s a skill that translates well into other areas like this. I’m feeling good about this one.’ He keeps going while walking. ‘I hear this is a head to head activity. We’re competing. I’ve never seen the parkour arena before.’

Spencer doesn’t release his arms until you’re at the doorway to the arena. Val’s already there, out of breath.

‘Ok.’ She wheezes. ‘Welcome to the pickpocketing challenge! Most of you have not seen the parkour arena yet, so this is a first.’ She carries on talking, but looks unnatural without her clipboard. She tries to spread her arms out. ‘You will have 5 minutes to steal as many coins from your opponents coin purse while traversing the diverse range of obstacles we have available.’ She turns up the light in the room with a dimmer switch.

Ramps, protruding walls, foam pits and bars wrangle round the space like spaghetti, with the stand out element being a massive mechanically rotating wooden pipe, open at both ends- it’s high up, you could only get inside if you swung off one of the high overhead bars.

Val dims the room again. ‘You will have to do this in light levels similar to moonlight. You can be as stealthy or confrontational as you like.’ She starts to throw coin purses with belts to the applicants. Inside the purse tossed to you you can see 5 coins. You take the belt and buckle up.

‘At the start, there will be a minute warmup, no-pickpocketing. This will allow you to position yourselves strategically.’

Everyone is here. Spencer, Yujo, Clarissa, Banjobe and Dags. They are all poised, ready to go. Spencer’s giving you a look.

‘Ready, steady, go!’

> Go to the northward end to the largest open area on the ground.
> Immediately go for the big wooden rotating pipe obstacle.
> Hide in the closest foam pit.
> Go for the tall wall to the east to perch on.
>>
>>1260311
>Go for the tall wall to the east to perch on.
Scout from the high ground, then utilize the foam pit, see if it has an exit at the bottom. Those things are deadly in this kind of challenge.
>>
>>1260311
>Go for the tall wall to the east to perch on.
>>
>>1260311
>Follow a competitor, but stay far enough back as not to be noticed.
>>
>>1260311
> hide in a foam pit
Huehue

Why see we stealing only individual coins, doesn't seem like a realistic test.
>>
You head for the tall wall to the east, keeping your bearings of the course and your competitors, but it’s not too long before everyone slips into the dark. Dags is jogging all over the place, but averaging a straight line towards where you are going- you keep enough distance as for him not to notice you. He’s way too muscular and tall- at least a foot taller than you. Why is he here? He will fail surely. He’s also the youngest applicant being 18.

You kick-jump off a shorter wall and clamber gracefully up to the top of the tallest wall, giving a reasonable overview of the arena- it’s still way too dark, but your pupils are still adjusting.

‘30 seconds!’ Val shouts from the dark.

Someone is moving around in the foam pit- you can see the foam cubes squirming around and settling.

Clarissa is unmistakably swinging around a bar and somersaulting into the wooden pipe, only she has that amount of gymnastic power here. There’s a bar you could try to run across and jump into the pipe, but it would be hard to keep your balance.

Dags is below you, hiding behind the wall you are standing on. He hasn’t noticed you and is currently trying not to sneeze.

> Wait for the no-pickpocketing time to end and jump on Dags to pickpocket him.
> Try balance-walking across the bar and hop into the wooden pipe to ambush Clarissa.
> Head for the foam pit. Maybe you can surprise the person hiding there.
> Write in
>>
>>1260582
>Drop down on Days and steal the whole bag.

Why settle for a few coins?
>>
>>1260582
>Wait for the no-pickpocketing time to end and jump on Dags to pickpocket him.
>>
>>1260634
>>1260652

Please roll a d100! Best of the highest numbers max 3 will be used.
>>
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>1260667
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>1260667
>>
Rolled 70 (1d100)

>>1260667
>>
Dags is still there, waiting to get the drop on someone. Little did he know, you were about to drop on him.

Any moment now, Val should call out that pickpocketing is good to go for.

‘Pickpocketing is now allowed!’

You launch downwards to land on Dags, landing your feet square on his shoulders. This floors him, but not enough. There’s no time to admire his reflexes, you’ve already been hit in the jaw, sending you spinning.

‘No offence.’ He disclaims.

‘No offence taken.’ You gather yourself to your knees, waving around a coin purse.

Dags pats his belt, looking for his purse You’ve ripped it completely off, the force of the punch helped.

Like a bear he is surprisingly fast and is already rushing at you.

> Run away.
> Sweep kick his feet.
> Throw down some coins hoping he’ll go for that while you make your escape.
> Write in
>>
>>1260822
> Run away.
>>
>>1260822
>Run away.
>>
File: queenofhearts.jpg (166KB, 394x529px) Image search: [Google]
queenofhearts.jpg
166KB, 394x529px
The smartest thing to do is run rather than go head to head with this guy you think to yourself. You vault across obstacles, run up and across walls, even putting in some flips to put distance between you and Dags.

After parkouring across half what would be half a length's worth of the room, you stop to look behind you, leaning against a wall.

Something’s wrong though. The coin purse on your belt feels oddly light. 3 of the coins have been taken. There’s no one around you, you’re sure. When did that happen? But there’s something else in there- it’s a card- the queen of hearts!

‘3 minutes left!’ Val shouts.

The foam pit to which you suspected someone is hiding in is close by. The mechanical wooden pipe is also an option. Someone else is coming your way! Is it Spencer? You don’t think he’s seen you, it looks like he’s running away.

Total coins: 7

> Try taking Spencer’s coin purse.
> Go for the foam pit.
> Look for Yujo, she must be nearby if she took your coins.
> Climb up the nearby obstacles and make your way for the rotating wooden pipe.
> Write in.

(I have to go to bed, but will continue tomorrow!)
>>
>>1261062
>Drop into the foam pit and take their bag as well.

Bags are much more efficient than a few coins.
>>
>>1261062
>Go for the foam pit.
Knock out whoever is in there, take their bag and check to see if they put their coins somewhere else on their person. Then hide the coins in our boots.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.