[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rolling Nomic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1488837694509.jpg (155KB, 977x1488px) Image search: [Google]
1488837694509.jpg
155KB, 977x1488px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomic
I tried this game out before but it become too complex for new people to join in, so it ended in a thread with 3 people playing.
Anyone can join in, all you have to do it follow the rules. In this form it's a play by post game where the rules will constantly change as people participate.

-10 In the case of contradictions, rules with lower numbers take precedent.
-9 Rules created after the initial set, hereafter referred to as the rolling rules, are prefixed with positive integers ranging from 0 to 20, cannot have a value less than 0 or the same number as another rule.
Rolling rules cannot change the prefixes of negatively prefixed rules.
-8 Rules cannot force a poster to break the 4chan rules.
-7 Rules that make impossible or improbable demands are immediately removed from the ruleset. Improbable is defined as something less than a 50% chance. This does not change prefixes as per rule #-6
-6 With each change to the ruleset, rolling rules each have their integer decreased by one, not including any rules created by that act. If a rolling rule's prefix becomes less than 0, it is removed from the rule list.
-5 Each post that makes changes to the rules must include all of the rolling rules and their updated prefixes since the last valid change.
-4 A player is anyone participating in this thread.
-3 With each post a player may add one rule to the rolling rules list.
-2 If a player wins, instead of the game ending, that player can remove up to 3 rules rolling rules. That player may then add in 3 rules. This counts as one change in regards to rule #-6.

5 Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them.
>>
For those confused here's what a subsequent post should look like. This is still a valid change to the rules. I'm adding in a rule with the prefix 7 and then #5's prefix gets decreased by 1. The only prefix I couldn't choose for a new rule is 4, since there would then be two rules with the same prefix.

I think rule 7 may give people who don't have many ideas for rules some inspiration.

>>1240765 is an idiot for thinking that people would participate within 10 hours.

4 Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them.
7 Each poster must explain their reasoning behind any rules they create.
>>
>>1240765
I was one of 3 players OP. We had a good run.
Still wondering what would've happened with that wizard.
I doubt you'll get more players this time around though, it's a highly conceptual game.
>>
>>1243617
Perhaps you're right. I always found /qst/ to be a bit like /vg/, so people don't go outside the quest threads they like very often.
>>
>>1240765
Sorry to bother OP, but I don't quite understand what you are trying to get at with this. I read the wikipedia page, and while this seems interesting, I was hoping for a slightly better explanation.
>>
Per rule 4

>Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them"

I state: Toruc may find it handy to note that all posts must abide by the rules outlined in the OP, as well as those created by players, which are in a constant state of creation and destruction in accordance to previously created rules. What is this game about? Whatever you make it about.

Consider rule -10: lower-numbered rules are stronger than higher. As a negative number, rule -10 is the golden rule of golden rules for now. Consider rule -6: player-created rules decrease in value each time the ruleset is changed. These are the game's underpinnings. New rules abide by older ones. Rules grow stronger over play, then die.

You want goals? Win-states? Read the rules again, chanting "I am the law" to yourself. Then get lawyering.
>>
>>1244128 Does not have a future in customer service.

3 Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them.
6 Each poster must explain their reasoning behind any rules they create.
20 The Bounty: Whoever expunges this rule gains the gratitude of the Sheriff and the Bereaved.
>>
>>1244147 a dumb
Aaaaand the reasoning is that we need some heroes. Happy hunting!
>>
>>1244152 a shill

>>1243851
I've actually been running a quest working on similar principles. Now I'm here for inspiration. I'm interested in how shifting rules can be systematized where I struggled.
>>
I realized now that I might have neglected something is these initial rules, for instance if a rule were to say something like "Players have wallets," if it were to become deleted players would no longer have wallets. Perhaps throwing in something like "Values or variables given to players via rolling rules are kept if those rules become removed, unless otherwise stated." At any rate I think something worded like "Players gain points for doing X" would still retain those points.

>>1244088
Like >>1244128 is saying, you can change the game to however you wish, following the rules of course. Since you don't have to change the rules with each post, players are a bit more free to explore a particular state of rules until they grow board and want to change them. The problems from last time was that there got to be so many rules that every post had to link to a pastebin of what is in effect; not very welcoming to newcomers. Limiting this to 20 or less rules at maximum makes it easier to follow as well. So you could introduce bullets and guns or something else that interacts with the current rule #20.

This game is what you make of it, literally. It came be themed after the wild west as #20 seems to be doing, you can make a solely conceptual game that changes what sort of rules can be made such as "Rules cannot be created using words with more than 7 characters" or even like Trump is doing right now "For each new rule two other rules have to be removed." are all perfect examples of meta-rules.

Think of it like those quests, the fun is not in winning -- in fact anyone could simply make a rule that states something along the lines of "the poster with ID X wins" but that's not really fun. The fun lies in creating interesting rules and interacting with other people's rules. I think most of the quests on this board, especially the triple digit ones, continue simply because the people participating decide on a goal, it's fun for them to try and reach that goal regardless of whether they attain it or not; what happens to the quest once that goal is reached? Either the quest ends or like the triple digit ones they make up a new goal. Some of them start over with a new character of course.

If you have any other questions then please point out specifically what you don't get about the game.

>>1244176 runs quests and doesn't give up when something goes wrong.
I can't really help you directly without more information. Where or what with did you struggle exactly?
>>
Looks like the IP changed for my router. I'm still the OP though.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

I think that the new #20 might get some people to think up some interesting mechanics for catching the thief and some more interaction between people.

2 Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them.
5 Each poster must explain their reasoning behind any rules they create.
19 The Bounty: Whoever expunges this rule gains the gratitude of the Sheriff and the Bereaved.
20 A wanted man is in town! - Every player who has not done so yet rolls one d6. The player with the lowest roll is wanted by the Sheriff. The first player to turn him in, dead or alive, gets the 1,000 gold as a reward.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d6)

>>1244400
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/1141374/

The trouble with this thing was that during its own course of play, it was trying to establish its own "negative rules", as it were. I don't /require/ help with it, mind you. Exposure to a successful system is all I'm really after. Mostly I meant to let you know that you're not alone in conceptual games.

>>1244827 is an okay dude.
>>
>>1244876 is relieved the law doesn't have an arm here yet.

The Scoundrel provides a means to disturb the peace.

1 Posters other than the OP must say something about the poster above them.
4 Each poster must explain their reasoning behind any rules they create.
>12 The Scoundrel: The Wanted man may, instead of making a new rule, shift a single rule concerning his capture or dastardly deeds up or down to the nearest open spot. All rules roll down if he does so.
18 The Bounty: Whoever expunges this rule gains the gratitude of the Sheriff and the Bereaved.
19 A wanted man is in town! - Every player who has not done so yet rolls one d6. The player with the lowest roll is wanted by the Sheriff. The first player to turn him in, dead or alive, gets the 1,000 gold as a reward.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.