[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Tales of Jack Chitin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 27

File: Title.png (16KB, 960x511px) Image search: [Google]
Title.png
16KB, 960x511px
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to The Tales of Jack Chitin.

The Tales of Jack Chitin is a fantasy adventure in a wonderful world full of various unspeakable abominations. In this quest you will follow the ups and downs of an intriguing human fellow named Jack Chitin. He is what people would call a "bug hunter".

Well... the polite people anyway.

What wonders and HORRORS await us? Let's find out!

I will post a short intro picture, and the inventory and map before I start the quest, so you guys have something to work with.
>>
File: Intro.png (51KB, 950x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Intro.png
51KB, 950x1350px
"The name is Jack Chitin. I spend most of my time in the forests here, where I feel welcome at least. I'm what most of the town folk call a Buz... a bug hunter. These lands are abundant with all sorts of creatures, some of which you would mistake for myth and legend. But believe me, they are real, painfully real.

However, I still feel a connection with these creatures, a connection others can only imagine. It is both a blessing... and a curse."

"Hah, no matter how many times I practice that stupid speech, the result is the same."

"..."
>>
File: Inventory.png (55KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inventory.png
55KB, 960x1080px
The Inventory
>>
File: Map.gif (13KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Map.gif
13KB, 960x540px
The Map
>>
File: Urno1.png (18KB, 950x540px) Image search: [Google]
Urno1.png
18KB, 950x540px
"Alright, now that I ate, I should get back to business. I need to find one of those Forest Grubs and get the bounty to the butcher in town."

"I should be careful though, it's been a while since I killed some Grubs, and they can be... feisty to say the least."

"I should find a way to lure the beast into the open."

And so the adventure begins!
>>
>>118614
>find Grub
>>
>>118614
Search the forest for water
>>
File: Urno2.png (30KB, 950x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Urno2.png
30KB, 950x1080px
>>118664
>>118644

"The Grubs don't usually resurface, since they mostly drink from subterranean waters. Hmm, I know of a old well nearby, I hope the town folk haven't destroyed it since the last time I was in that part of the forest."

To your surprise, they didn't. A foul odour is emanating from the well.

"Yup, they're hiding down there."

You start thinking of a way to lure them out.
>>
>>118896
Wait until someone comes
>>
File: Urno3.png (29KB, 950x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Urno3.png
29KB, 950x1080px
>>118904

Taking a quick peak might be a bit risky, since the Forest Grubs have impeccable senses, and they strike like lightning. So you decide to wait a little to see if they slowly emerge by themselves.

Some time passes, but nothing happens. Your stomach start to grumble slightly.

"I could use some rat meat about now, mmmhh...."

While you slowly doze off to the thoughts of tender and juicy rat meat, you are startled by a sharp noise, sounds like a twig snapping.
>>
>>119094
Look to see what it is.
>>
File: Urno4.png (43KB, 950x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Urno4.png
43KB, 950x1620px
>>119195

Even though the Grubs are swift and deadly, they are pretty stupid, so if you slowly take a peek behind the tree trunk, you think you will be fine.

"Oh, it's just an elk."

"Mhhhn, just imagine that elk spinning..."

"Wait, what's this rumbling..."
>>
>>119514
Run to a village or a safe place
or eat it but idk if that is possible
>>
File: bear grylls piss.jpg (41KB, 469x322px) Image search: [Google]
bear grylls piss.jpg
41KB, 469x322px
>>119514
DRINK YOUR OWN PISS to survive
>>
File: Battle - Forest Grub.webm (88KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Battle - Forest Grub.webm
88KB, 960x540px
The Forest Grub swallows the elk carcass in one gulp. It stops for a split second, and turns toward your position, it noticed your scent from all the saliva you've been drooling thinking of food.

>>119531
You're no coward, you've been killing these things for years. Your blood is boiling, the excitement, it's pumping in your veins. It's time to take this bitch, HEAD ON!

>>119556
Maybe later, but now it's time for battle!

TIME FOR BATTLE
>>
File: Bestiary - Forest Grub.png (32KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Bestiary - Forest Grub.png
32KB, 960x540px
Grub bestiary sheet
>>
>>119584
Throw a dagger into the center of the hole that is excreting venom from the tail
>>
>>119584
Throw a rock behind it, It will think something is behind it and when it turns, attack!
>>
>>119584
Cut tail
>>
>>119584
Throw a dagger just to its right, then to its left. It will go left to avoid the first dagger and move straight into the crosshairs of the second one.
>>
File: Break.png (14KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Break.png
14KB, 960x540px
>>119600
>>119669
>>119676
>>119723

Agh, I'm sorry guys, I'll have to cut this one short. But thank you all for participating, join tomorrow for an awesome fight scene AND BEYOND!

Will Jack kill the Forest Grub? Will he be able to bring back the bounty to Urno? What or who awaits him in the town? Tune in tomorrow to find out!

So, how you guys liking the quest so far?

If you are looking for a quest with interesting and original lore, fun RPG elements and a pinch of humor, you've found the right quest! I'm preparing this for the long run, so you can expect a lot of interesting things in the future. I'll continue tomorrow, but a few hour earlier this time, so I'll make up for the 2-3 updates that I wanted to do today.
>>
>>119863
So far its looking good, but bailing out on us aint cool, yo

Its o.k. I understand, c'ya tomorrow!
>>
The adventure will continue in about an hour

We continue where we left off, the battle with the Forest Grub.
>>
File: Urno5.png (53KB, 950x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Urno5.png
53KB, 950x1620px
>>119600
>>119669
>>119676
>>119723

Before you decide to strike you remind yourself of the key abilities the Forest Grub posses.

"I should be careful of it's corrosive acid spit. Even though they don't have a lot of sensory organs, their tremor sense is an impeccable system that can detect even the smallest of vibrations through the nerve nodes."

"However, the Grubs are known for their rapid mutations, I don't know how they use the spike on their tale, and I probably shouldn't give them a chance to demonstrate."

The Forest Grub is charging an attack towards your direction, but you decide to strike first. You throw two daggers close to each other. The Grub dodges the first one but falls right into the trap of the second dagger, chipping one of the Grub's teeth.
>>
>>123237
Aim to the base of the tail
>>
>>123237
Throw dirt at it

hopefully it'll irritate some sensitive organ
>>
>>123237
Make a lasso out of the rope you have and see if you can lasso it, then tie it to a tree. This should limit its movement.
>>
File: Urno6.png (56KB, 950x1620px) Image search: [Google]
Urno6.png
56KB, 950x1620px
>>123247
>>123256
>>123328

"Looks like the Grub is slowly haemorrhaging. They don't have much blood to begin with, slowly it will start to get disoriented due to blood loss."

You try to speed up the process, you run up to the Grub and by kick some dirt into it's sensitive tremor sense organ underneath the head, but the Grub deflects it with a acid spit burst.

It is erratically shacking it's tail spike, it seems it's going for an attack. The Grub slams the tail into the ground.

"I have a hunch what follows next."

You know what's up, you quickly tie a lasso with the rope you have. You dodge the incoming spike that bursts from the ground and at the same time throw the lasso around the tail and tightly grab the other end.
>>
>>123431
Now tie that shit up on a good strong tree or something
>>
File: Urno7.png (54KB, 950x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Urno7.png
54KB, 950x2160px
>>123498

"The Grub is fidgeting too much for me to tie it to a tree. However, I can feel that it's slowly getting tired. Now is the time to strike!"

You throw another lasso on the disoriented Grub, and pull yourself up to it's neck. With a mighty slash you sever the main artery, which finishes the Grub off. You jump off the Grub before it falls to the ground.

An interesting battle, but those grubs are not match for a mighty bug hunter like yourself. You think about what to do next. Surely, the top priority is to deliver the bounty to the butcher as soon as possible... but not until you grab something to eat.

"It would be a waste leaving the elk carcass just lying around, well, what's left of it anyway."

While the elk is slowly roasting you start collecting meat from the Grub. You stop for a moment to tear the other tooth that has still some fresh acid on it.

"She will like this.", you pause looking at the tooth.

"It's been a while, but I can't wait to see you again, my friend... my only friend."
>>
>>123771
If there was a water well, there must be a village near
>>
Taking a short break to eat something myself, be back in 20~ minutes
>>
>>123771
Take the elk's antlers
>>
>>123771
Tell us about this 'She'

Why would she like the fang?
>>
I ate my own equivalent of an elk, and am ready to continue

>>123783
>>123918
>>123945
Interesting questions and actions, I'm on it!
>>
>>124060
Actually it was less of a question and more of a half hearted Bane-post, but yea, I am interested in whoever he was talking about.
>>
File: Urno8.png (74KB, 950x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Urno8.png
74KB, 950x1078px
>>124082
>half hearted Bane-post
WITNESSED

It's still a good question though

>>123783
>>123918
>>123945

You took the elk antlers and put them into your inventory, they will probably fetch a few coins.

The elk is ready, you chow down. After you finished your meal, you lay down on the cool ground to relax and enjoy your victory.

You take a look at the night sky.

"The sky sure is beautiful tonight.", you halt for a moment when you notice the big bright moon.

"I wonder how things came to be like this. I rarely see her anymore. Sometimes I miss my life before everything went sour, but the newfound solitude brings peace to my heart, even in troubled times.

"If only things didn't... yeah... if only."

"She was the only person that approached me afterwards. Everybody shunned me and soon the isolation started to kick in. But Luna? No. To this day I don't even know why she likes me. What makes things even more weird, she is royalty, part of the Lunar Priests, and they treat the common folk like trash."

You look at the Grub's tooth.

"Well, time to get back to Urno and collect the cheque."

I'll post a detailed map of Urno in a moment
>>
>>124334
Are the Lunar priest the rulers or is Luna just royalty who happened to join the Lunar Priests?
>>
File: Town Map - Urno.png (18KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Town Map - Urno.png
18KB, 960x540px
>>124398

While you are slowly arriving at Urno, you take out your map.

"Here it is, the good ol' town of Urno. If by good ol' you mean infested with cut-throats and highwaymen. The last time I was here, the town square didn't even look like one anymore from all the gallows they put up. Let's just say that the folk at Urno... they don't like people that look or think different."

You slowly put your hand on your bandages.

"I wear these for a reason, they do help to avoid unwanted problems. Still, my best bet is to avoid trouble at all costs. However, I do want to give Luna this present, and maybe chit chat for a bit. Also, it could be fun to go to the tavern, I haven't had a good drink in ages."

You look at the Lunar Shrine with a little smile.

"I wonder what you're up to. The last time we talked you told me you were studying crystals, I wonder how much you learned in that field since last time."

Your smile however fades after you remember what the Lunar Priests do to town folk. They aren't the rulers of the Urno province, but they act like they are, or maybe it's just their inflated ego.

"Oh look at us, we are the high and might Lunar Priests, bow down peasant!", you sarcastically laugh and spit at the ground

Rich families that send their children to join the Lunar Priesthood, so they can boost their reputation, since the ability to control magic is highly valued among the nobles.

You arrive at Urno
>>
>>124599
Go to the market, see if anyone will buy those elk horns. You don´t want to be carrying them into the shrine.
>>
>>124599
Go to the Butcher to sell the bug meat first, then to the market when we got a little spending money.
>>
File: Break.png (17KB, 950x551px) Image search: [Google]
Break.png
17KB, 950x551px
>>124626
>>124679

Sounds like a plan, but sadly my time for today is up. You are more than welcome to join and continue the adventure tomorrow, around the same time as today!

So things are slowly getting interesting as we now have a lot of various things to do in Urno, also depending on how things go, we can also spend some time there.

I have a lot of interesting things to expand the universe, and we are barely scratching the surface.

On a side-note before I go, I want to know from you guys, what do you think of the current speed I'm making these updates? I know that it might a bit slow, especially since this is my first quest and all, but I'm determined to improve in the upcoming weeks, so the updates are a bit faster.

General thoughts?
>>
The adventure will continue in one hour or so

Let's hope we have a fun time in Urno today!
>>
>>127897
Correction, hour and a half
>>
I will wait
>>
>>127988
Waiting aswell
>>
>>127988
>>128212
Welcome! The adventure continues soon, around half an hour.
>>
File: Shop.png (16KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
Shop.png
16KB, 960x528px
The quest continues!

>>124626
>>124679

You went to the butcher and sold the Grub meat for 20 gold coins. You decide that it's time to visit the market, maybe there are some interesting things there. Looking for people that might be interested in animal parts, to sell the elk antlers, you stumble upon a shop that sells items for pretty cheap prices.

They aren't in the best condition, but hey, it's still a bargain for the prices the shop keep' is offering.

Shop Keeper
"Welcome to my shop travelle...", the shop keeper stops for a moment and looks at your bandages.
"I see you people are coming for the shrine event."

Jack Chitin
"What do you mean b...", the shop keeper cuts you off

Shop Keeper
"Look, no offence, but just hurry up and buy the things you need and leave the shop."

You can buy one or more items, or you can leave the shop if you don't want to buy anything
You have 20 gold coins in your possession
>>
File: Inventory.png (54KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inventory.png
54KB, 960x1080px
The current inventory
>>
>>128619
Purchas:
x2 healing herbs
x5 dried fish
x1 bottle of mead
x1 cloak
x1 pair of boots

And replace any throwing daggers lost in combat with the Forrest Grub.
>>
>>129023
Same as this guy but make sure to sell the antlers as well
>>
File: Inventory.png (55KB, 960x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inventory.png
55KB, 960x1080px
Updated inventory

Posting the next action in a minute
>>
File: Urno 9.png (15KB, 960x527px) Image search: [Google]
Urno 9.png
15KB, 960x527px
You ask the shop keeper if he is interested in buying the elk antlers.

Shop keeper
"As a matter of fact, I was looking for some healing ingredients, so those antlers will come in handy. You have yourself a deal."

After all the trade is done, you are left with 10 gold coins.

You exit the shop, thinking of what to do next you notice a board with various notes in the distance.

"Huh, so this is what the shop keeper was talking about. The Lunar Priests are accepting lepers for confession. This might be my chance to meet Luna. However it's a long shot, since I don't know if she's still in town."
>>
>>129287
How long do we have until the Confession?
>>
>>129325
You engaged the Forest Grub a few moments after sunset, so considering the travelling time to Urno you are a hour or two until midnight. The confession sessions end around midnight. The Tavern works until dawn. All other establishments are currently slowly closing down for the day.
>>
>>129346
Find a place to poop out the 40% of churning yucky mystery gunk brewing in our belly
>>
>>129346
Lets get going the the Confession then

But not before >>129483 wouldn't want to have an 'emergency' just as we are about to run into Luna, now would we?
>>
File: Urno 10.png (12KB, 960x527px) Image search: [Google]
Urno 10.png
12KB, 960x527px
>>129483
>>129549

You decide it's now or never. Let's hope that Luna will be present at the shrine when you go to the confession.

"Hopefully with this cloak and my bandages, they will mistake me for a leper."

You take a peek under your bandages and start thinking about it. Your condition has gotten a bit worse. It's nothing serious, but still, it's slowly advancing.

"What am I going to tell her...", you start thinking of a conversation in your head.

"Hey, you know about my past, yeah? Things are getting worse, isn't that just peachy? Haha... ha..."

You let out a sad sigh and continue towards the shrine.

"Whenever I do things that get my blood pumping so to speak, it advances, the THING is slowly taking over and I have to constantly wrestle with it so I don't..."

"Sometimes I voluntarily feed it. Is it some sort of sadism, I don't know. But what I do know is that I wish I never met it, but we've burnt that bridge long ago."

"Luna... seeing her might put it under control. Her smile... it heals every fiber of my being."

I will post the next action when we arrive at the shrine in a moment
>>
File: Urno 11.png (49KB, 960x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Urno 11.png
49KB, 960x1078px
You arrive at the Lunar Shrine.

"Huh, I though they would upgrade it a bit since last time. I've heard that most Lunar Shrines have a crystal pillar and other moon worshipping instruments near the shrine itself. It seems the influence of the Lunar Priesthood isn't as strong yet in Urno."

With a deep breath, you knock on the doors of the shrine. A priest peeks through the gate and comes to the conclusion that you are a leper. The plan worked!

He leads you to the confession booth and tells you that someone will be with you in a moment. You are counting your lucky stars, every second of this anticipation is killing you. Someone finally enters on the other side of the booth.

Silence...

You think to yourself: ["Damn it, this isn't Luna, she always greets the sinner when they enter."]

You break the silence: "Well, you know what I fucking hate about life? I hate it when you try, you try your fucking hardest and live shovels shit right in your face. You ever know that feeling, man?"

Continuation in the next post, less than a minute
>>
File: Urno 12.png (14KB, 960x534px) Image search: [Google]
Urno 12.png
14KB, 960x534px
???
"Is that a way to talk to a Lunar Priest, sinner?"

Jack Chitin
"Wait, that voice..."

Luna Bellus
"Good to see you still have your temper, Jack."

You have a few minutes to talk to Luna, you can ask specific questions during the chat
>>
>>129986
"Why do you always have to have that shit eating grin on your face?"
>>
>>129986
"Do you even bathe yourself? You smell like shit, what have you been doing, god?"
>>
>>129986
"Ey bby, u wan sum fuk?"
>>
>>129986
"Hey Luna, things haven't been going so well. My 'Condition' is getting worse and I don't know what to do."
>>
File: Soon.png (34KB, 960x502px) Image search: [Google]
Soon.png
34KB, 960x502px
>>130005
>>130016
>>130057
Hah, interesting. This will make for a funny conversation.
Yes! Feed me sins, you people will reap your rewards soon when I finally arrive!

>>130135
The road to salvation

But alas, my time is over for today. As always you are more than welcome to join the adventure tomorrow, at the same time as today. So a short recap:

>We've finally met Luna
>We can still do a lot of stuff in Urno
>The mysterious "Gat" character has gained notoriety in Urno

Tune in tomorrow! I'll leave you guys with a little teaser.
>>
As always, I'm eager to hear what you guys think of each session. Good things, bad things etc. If you feel like it, leave me a comment or two, I like to hear your opinions and it helps me a lot when planning for future stuff.
>>
>>130182
What time today do you think you'll post?
>>
>>134656

I kinda shot myself in the foot last night when I promised that I will continue tomorrow. I won't be doing a session today I'm afraid. I know that everybody hates broken promises, but please hear me out, I think it will be worth your guys time.

Initially I thought of posting a short notice, but I want to explain some stuff for down the road, since I intend to make this a long quest.

Warning: wall of text ahead

Here's the jazz:

Since it's Sunday I had some more free time to think about where the story has gone so far, and like I said in the previous posts I want to expand the universe to make the quest a more enjoyable experience for people. I've got some good and some bad news.

The good news is that I have all these interesting ideas and stuff I want to do with the quest. I want to bring in some "mechanics" into the quest like dice rolling and other stuff, in other words I don't want to give the impression that the player choices don't matter, on the contrary, I want the players to make game changing decisions that have impact on the story, that will have consequences on multiple levels.

Stuff like "We have done X and Y in Urno, and that will reflect on A, B and C later on."

The bad news is that I've hit a roadblock, I have all these fun ideas, but I need some more time to figure out how to make them work in the given context, so that the lore sounds believable. In short, I need to spend some more prep time figuring out the world building and other experimental stuff that I have in mind.

From the start, I wanted to make the quest:
>Span over a few months
>Be 70% serious and 30% humor
>Have interesting titbits to keep the players engaged and saying "Wow, this is pretty neat"

My target audience are people that enjoy a bit more serious quest with a dark fantasy theme (stuff like Lovecraft), with gallows/dark humor. Also, coherent world building with references and foreshadowing in the story.

I noticed that you, among others, showed interested in learning more about the world in your posts, and that's what I'm aiming for. I appreciate your involvement in the story. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that people that take a more humorous approach aren't welcome, to the contrary, I welcome all players and all sorts of creative posts, it's just that I'm aiming to tell a story for people that enjoy all the aforementioned things.

In conclusion, to all people that are playing or lurking in the thread, I want to thank you for your involvement, I appreciate it a lot. Don't worry, the quest will continue in the following day or two.

I will keep everybody posted.
>>
>>135235
So can we poop out our malicious mysterious buttjuice, or do we actually have to be an entire whiny baby without potty training?
>>
>>135251
Whut?
>>
>>135271
>>129271
>40% churning buttgunk & bootyjuice
>>
>>135251
>malicious mysterious buttjuice
Soon enough you will have the chance to use that "buttjuice" to your advantage or disadvantage. Speaking of the devil, my idea is to make that an integral part of the quest/story, and soon you will find out why.

I want for each character to feel unique and fun to play with, also considering the potential party members that we might acquire
>>
>>135365
Why can't he just use the restroom like any other sensible man? Why's he gotta be such a baby and handle it instead of freaking out over every little wiggler and crawly that crawls under his covers at night? is it that traumatizing to where he's constipated?
>>
File: idolomantis diabolica.jpg (50KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
idolomantis diabolica.jpg
50KB, 900x600px
>>135414
Replace "bowels" with soul and "poop" with picture related. Then you will be on the right track.
>>
>>135611
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>135611
>being a werebug hunting bugs
I NEVER ASKED TO GO DOWN THIS ROUTE, AHHHH. I THOUGHT PRETENDING WOULD MAKE IT NOT COME TRUE
>>
I think that we are slowly threading into auto-sage mode, so if you want to keep track of "The Tales of Jack Chitin", here is a reliable way to do so:

https://twitter.com/grubadventures

I will post all updates regarding future sessions and post a notice a few hours beforehand.

In any case, this mini-hiatus shouldn't last longer than a day or two, I will post an update soon. Once again I would want to thank everybody for following and participating in the adventure, you have been a wonderful audience, and I hope you will join again when the adventure continues!
>>
It is an interesting concept. I hope you spawn a new trend of quality quests here.
>>
The adventure continues today! Since this thread is auto-saging, I'll make a new one later today and delete this one so it doesn't unnecessarily clutter the board.
>>
>>144378
Autosaging already fulfills the role of uncluttering the board. It's actually preferable if you link your new thread in this one.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.