[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Holy' Man Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 2

File: unspecified.png (1MB, 924x1096px) Image search: [Google]
unspecified.png
1MB, 924x1096px
This road is shit.

Your carriage is already slow, dragged along by two oxen, but you're still bouncing about over pebbles, lurching and tilting when one wheel gets caught in a muddy rut. You try not to slip off the seat.

You fail, and your master strikes you. A hard blow, on the back of the head, that leaves you a little dizzy.

'Sit well, for heaven's sake...'

You cower under his insults...

> Tied-tongue.
> Cack-handed.
> Club-footed.
> Ratling.
>>
>>1115389
>Ratling
>>
>>1115394

> Incidentally this means you're a scrawny little guy. Maybe this one is less clear than the others, so I'll clarify them.

> Tied-tongue: you have a severe stutter.
> Cack-handed: one of your arms is shrivelled and weak.
> Club-footed: self-explanatory.
> Ratling: scrawny and frail.
>>
>>1115397
>> Cack-handed: one of your arms is shrivelled and weak.
>>
>>1115397
Then I switch to
>Tied-tongue
>>
>>1115406

T-t-t-t-tied tongue? N-noted.
>>
>>1115397
Stutter. it's the only one you can really hide.
>>
>>1115397
> Cack-handed: one of your arms is shrivelled and weak.
>>
>>1115414
>>1115412
>>1115406
>>1115403

We now have a tie:

> 2 for cack-handed
> 2 for tongue-tied

Any breakers?
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>1115424
>>
File: MC.jpg (71KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
MC.jpg
71KB, 600x421px
>>1115434
That swiveled hand better give us psychic powers.
>>
>>1115434

'... you little cack-handed fool, you. Come here! Sit properly!'

'But'

'But what, you cretin?'

You bow your head. 'Nothing, father. Yes father.'

You spend the rest of the ride clinging hard to the sides of the carriage with your one good hand as it lurches this way and that. Your master is still muttering. But with his bulk, of course he can sit easy without rocking about...

He doesn't talk to you for the rest of the journey. And eventually the carriage comes to a stop, and the driver opens up, bowing deeply.

'Father, we are near the manor house now.'

The manor house. Your heart skips a beat at that. You have been waiting all your life to be in this position - to begin climbing the ladder of the Great and Holy Church, as an acolyte to a parish priest.

And not just any parish priest too, but a noble family's manor chapel! You've done a little reading on this family, and they are known for...

> Eh... nothing much, really.
> Ancientness. Their descent goes back several centuries.
> Wealth. This is merely a small manor of a small branch of a large and rich house.
> Power. Some members of the house - not this one, but others - hold high positions in the Kingdom.
> Other. (Write-in)
>>
>>1115446
>> Ancientness. Their descent goes back several centuries.
Illuminati here we come
>>
>>1115446
>Wealth. This is merely a small manor of a small branch of a large and rich house.
>>
Damn, another tie.

Someone else, or anyone switches?
>>
>>1115510

I go ancientness.
>>
>>1115446
>> Ancientness. Their descent goes back several centuries.
>>
>>1115510
>ancientness
>>
>>1115456
>>1115459
>>1115519
>>1115532
>>1115535

Thanks a lot! Typing.
>>
>>1115541

The thing is, from the books you could find in the cloister library, there are quite a few mentions of House Navansen. There's even a family tree, which goes back some 8 or 9 generations and about three centuries...

... of course, now they've fallen somewhat from their previous glory. But the manor is still a grand building...

... you remember little about the rest of that day, or the next few days to be honest. The parish priest gets to meet the Lord and Lady of the Manor, but as for you, you are put to work immediately, cleaning the chapel.

It turns out the chapel - a large, chilly building - is...

> Open for the manor's services.
> Mostly reserved for House Navansen's use.
>>
>>1115558
>> Open for the manor's services.
>>
>>1115558

Manor's GOTTA have an open chapel, of course.
>>
>> 1115558
Open
>>
>>1115558
>open
>>
>>1115560
>>1115562

This means the common folk worship with House Navansen (though there probably is a section reserved for the nobles).

We good with that, yeah?
>>
>>1115571
Yeah. Makes things interesting if nothing else.
>>
The chapel is open for services from all the smallfolk and freefolk, but there is a partitioned area where the House can worship in private. Also, there is already a crew in the chapel as it turns out:

There's a groundskeeper, a cleaner, and two altar attendants. And then, as it turns out, there is another acolyte who attends to the issues of the manor. Your superior, in other words.

And he's quick to show it. 'Go sweep the chapel. Be quick about it. We'll need you to go and serve the meals later.'

'Serve the meals, brother?'

'What, or am I supposed to serve you your meals, brother?' He smacks you on the forehead. 'Get on it!'

'Y-yes...'

Every day a service is held, though none is as big as the Saturday service, and you settle into your work somewhat. And there is a *lot* of work. You need to sweep. To clean the aisle, wipe down the altar. To check on the candles and make sure there are enough. The cleaner, an old man, is quite happy for your help...

... because it means he doesn't need to do anything. He's been slacking! Now you're doing all the sweeping for him, while he chats to people after services outside the church...

> Suck it up, though.
> Be glad. Being a cleaner is a good opportunity.
> We need to get back at him.
>>
>>1115588
> Suck it up, though.
Are we allowed to write in options?
>>
>>1115592

Yes, anytime.
>>
>>1115595
Alright.
>Go confront him. He shouldn't be slacking off anyways.
>>
> Also, damn. Do you guys mind if we do a few worldbuilding votes to see how this manor functions?
>>
>>1115598
I'm fine with that.
>>
>>1115597

I also second this.
>>
Hmm. You think you should just go and confront the old man... so you approach him one day, after the morning meal, with your broom.

'What do you want, boy?'

> I think this is work you should be doing.
> Let's cut us a deal. (Write-in your proposal - just throw out ideas, I'll fit them in).
>>
>>1115616
>Get back to your own duties. I serve my superiors, not you.
>>
>>1115616
>Look, even though I'm tasked to take your job, wouldn't you get fired by Lord Navansen? Let's cut a deal: I do half the sweeping, you do half the sweeping; you don't get fired, and I don't have to work that hard. As a bonus you could pretend to teach me how to do whatever your job is, and get some standing with Lord Navansen. How's that sound?
>>
>>1115619
>>1115620

'I'm just saying, grandpa,' you say, handing him the broom, 'this is supposed to be your job.'

'Oh? And what will you do exactly, boy, if I don't do it?'

'We can split this job. I have my work to do, but I can clean part of the chapel, and you another part. And then we can both be safe in our jobs.'

'Let me tell you something, you little whoreson,' he says. 'I've been working here since before you were sucking on your mother's tit. Since before your mother was doing the sucking herself, most probably. And I shouldn't say this before a young man of the Church, but if you think you can scare me with that, I will give you a little glimpse into what hell is. Do you hear me?'

You look at him. He thinks he can bully you. He doesn't know what the cloister has done to you already, though... you weigh your options.

> Fine. I'll do your work. But make it worth my while.
> You think you can scare me? Throw the broom down. Bring it on!
> Well, if you say so then. (Retreat, make another plan)
> Other (writein).
>>
>>1115684
>> If that's the way things are meant to be then...(Sucker Punch)
this guy sounds like an entitled cunt
>>
>>1115698

You suspect he isn't joking about his threat though. You've been bullied before. An old cunt in this sort of establishment could have networks.
>>
>>1115702
Is it worth it to suffer under the abuse of others for the rest of our time with the church? I think not.
>>
>>1115684
> You think you can scare me? Throw the broom down. Bring it on!
>>
Hah, we all going for the hard options!
>>
>>1115721
The Lord helps those who help themselves.
>>
>>1115698
>>1115708
>>1115712
>>1115723

'All right, then. If you say so.' You put the broom down. 'You can sweep it, or no one does.'

The old man laughs. 'You're tired of living now, you little bastard.'

'I'll see what you can do, then...!'

You storm back to the rest of your work, while thinking about the manor. This estate is actually quite large, as far as you can see, with quite a lot of serfs (smallfolk) and farmers (freefolk) working their plots around the manor house. And to your eyes...

> ... the place looks quite rich. People have clothes, there are orchards, even workshops of different sorts. It's productive.
> ... the place looks quite unremarkable. Sure, there are some orchards and groves, but that's to be expected you suppose.
> ... the place looks quite poor actually. There don't seem to be a lot of people. It doesn't seem too prosperous or busy.
>>
>>1115740
> ... the place looks quite rich. People have clothes, there are orchards, even workshops of different sorts. It's productive.
>>
>>1115740

>>
>>1115746
>>1115747

As far as you can see, the Navansen household has put effort into this particular manor - and it really shows. All around the manor, you realise, there are orchards stretching out, patches divided by wide roads.

And the wide roads don't just lead straight to the manor; there are also other workshops - indeed, the area around the chapel is is filled with workshops. And these workshops produce...

> You can choose up to two.

> Liquor.
> Wood products.
> Others (Write-in).
>>
>>1115777
> Liquor.
Leather products
>>
>>1115786

Leather products might not take place near the chapel though. That shit stinks to high heaven.

> It's still valid, just saying
>>
>>1115790
How about a goldsmith?
Too wealth?
>>
>>1115826

Hmm. Maybe not gold - would a smith for something else be fine?
>>
>>1115831
Yeah, sounds tight.
I just can't stand carpenters.
>>
>>1115777

Anyone else with options?
>>
>>1115777
Apothecary products and glasswork.
>>
>>1115906
This
>>
All right then, let's choose two out of the following four choices for the main products.

> Liquor
> Smithy (Copper or Iron)
> Apothecary products
> Glasswork

Let's not have write-ins this time to make the process more streamlined, thanks.
>>
>>1116090
> Apothecary products
> Glasswork
>>
>>1116090

(Off to bed, incidentally. Will be back tomorrow morning to check on votes.)
(Thanks for playing.)
>>
Liquor and Smithy!
>>
>>1116090
> Apothecary products
> Glasswork
>>
>>1116092
>>1116150
>>1116246

> All right then, apothecary and glasswork it is.

The chapel end of the manor, situated to the north of the manor house, is flanked by two buildings - a large glassworks, and a smaller shop where they seem to make apothecary items. There is also a small brewery in here, along with the usual - a smithy, carpenters, the like.

In other words, the manor produces what it needs. And it still has a surplus to sell to others.

This also means there are people from outside the manor house - or even outside the estate, perhaps - who live and work on the grounds. While the manor house staff sleep in the Great Hall of the house, and you sleep in the chapel's rooms, these people live in what looks like a little village of its own to the north of the workshops. Freefolk Village, they call it. And they're proud of their status compared to the smallfolk who farm in the estate...

... the very day after you tell the old man to do his work, he strikes back. But not by himself. You are asleep on your boards... when suddenly everything turns and you tumble to the floor. You wake up the moment you hit stone, but then it's dark-

-then something covers your head and it is *completely* dark. And that's when the blows start raining down.

Someone is kicking your back, another man is kicking your chest and stomach from the front. You try to fend them off, to sit up, but they kick at you as if possessed. Then another man starts punching your head in the sack.

His first few blows miss... the bag rustles. But then something catches you in the right ear, and then your chin, and then... you slump. The pain from the blows is already feeling dull with your ears ringing...

... the next day, you meet the old man again. To your surprise, he actually is sweeping. He looks at you and beckons you over, and you...

> Ignore him.
> Go up to him. Hide your injuries.
> Limp up to him. Let's look pitiable and see what happens.
> Other.
>>
>>1117507
> Go up to him. Hide your injuries.
>>
>>1117507

Hide those injuries.
>>
>>1117507
>> Limp up to him. Let's look pitiable and see what happens.
>>
>>1117675
>>1117548
>>1117539

You take a deep breath and try to hide your injuries, going up to him. Hold your back straight. Your left leg hurts like it's broken, but swallow that and walk with it normally.

The old man smirks when he sees you trying.

'Don't force yourself, young man,' he says. 'I asked them to give you a good going over and I trust they did.'

You look at him, finally limping your way to where he's standing with the broom. 'What do you want? Do you want me to take that broom and keep on sweeping?'

'Is this all you can think of?' He raises the broom. 'You just want to slack off on this one? That's it?'

'Of course not.'

'You've got backbone. I admire that. Some people come to me all limping after they've had a going over. Please, Grandpa, what do you want, they ask me things like that. You, well. You're a bit better, aren't you?'

> Ask who he is exactly.
> Ask him what he wants. But not in a begging way of course.
> Other.
>>
>>1117854

This man admires strength, if nothing else. Ask what he wants without begging.
>>
>>1117854
>> Ask who he is exactly.
>>
>>1117854
>> Ask him what he wants. But not in a begging way of course.
>>
>>1117854
> Ask who he is exactly.
So he can just get away with having a member of the church beat up?
That won't stand, no sir.
>>
>>1117854
> Ask him what he wants. But not in a begging way of course.
>>
>>1117906
>>1118012
>>1118213
>>1119695
>>1120257

'Actually, old man...' you lean against one of the pews. 'I was just going to ask you what you want. I'm not begging. But I do want to know.'

'Of course you do, of course you do. That arm of yours like this from birth?'

You look at your left arm. 'Since I knew it, yes.'

'The Good Provider must have given you something in exchange then, huh. What is it, young man?'

'You haven't answered my question, grandpa.'

'Oh, what I want from you will depend what you've got to give. So?'

> Sharp eyesight.
> Acute hearing.
> Natural stealthiness.
> Other.
>>
>>1115436

> Thanks for providing the inspiration!
>>
>>1121288
Natural stealthiness.
>>
>>1121288
>Sharp Eyesight
>>
>>1121985
Actually, change to
>Natural stealthiness
>>
>>1121288
>> Natural stealthiness.
>>
>>1121288
> Sharp eyesight.
>>
>>1122001
>>1121985
>>1121552

> Natural stealthiness it is then, eh!

'Me?' You think back to your days in the school... and also your days before. You were picked up by the cloister as a child on the only occasion you were ever caught stealing.

... and that was only because, after observing the people in the cloister, you decided it would be better to eat their food openly from within their walls, than to repeatedly dodge in and out nicking their stuff.

'I'm a stealthy person,' you say.

'Really?'

'If I don't want to be found,' you smile, 'you won't find me.'

'Hmm.' The old man nods. 'That is useful. That could be very useful indeed.'

'So tell me now, grandpa. Who are you, and what do you want?'

'I'm nobody, actually. I just have been working here for 40 years. You don't work anywhere for 40 years without making lots of friends who will support you.' He smiles. 'So I'm the groundskeeper of the chapel, as you know, but I help my friends do their work. In return, I get some good things as reward. It's all a trading relationship. I don't have to be anybody to trade.'

'So you want to trade with me then, is that it?'

'Somewhat, yes... somewhat. In fact, I might have a task for you to do right now.'

'What is that?'

'I need you to help me get something. It's in the Priest's chamber, actually. It's a small red wooden box...'

> What's inside it?
> Got it.
> What's in it for me?
> Other.
>>
>>1122404
>What's inside it?
>>
>>1122404
> What's inside it?
> Got it.
>>
>>1122404
What's in it for me?
>>
>>1122404
>What's inside it?
>What's in it for me?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.