[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14

File: mfw.png (8KB, 355x256px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
8KB, 355x256px
>every quest i have ever enjoyed except for a single oneshot have all been promptly discontinued rather than resolved and ended
why does this always happen
>>
>>1094493
QMs are a finicky creature.
>>
>>1094493
This happens to most quests in general, not just ones you join. Don't worry, you're not cursed or something.
>>
>>1094493
It is partly because of the new board, fuck man The boruto quest QM used to run a devil may cry quest that was pretty good, then stopped right when it got good, Guide ran some good shit before he dissappeared, The curse got crusty, I dunno what even happened to ACguy, Secret Agent quest just up and died, Rare is the quest to finish, Even rarer is the quest to pass three threads, Especially on this board, black knight quest would have been brutal on this board, i am still sad that it died, and it has been years
>>
>>1094613

I miss guardsman quest, when it started t get to the important stuff it died.
I Could name severalother but it usually is like that, when the things start to get too big(in game) the QM's up and vanish
>>
One that I enjoyed personally and is archived is Senate quest. It's pretty heavy but by God my history nerd/autism scales were off the charts.

Only two threads and it vanished, just before a major invasion we planned out.

Also we never got to bet on gladiator games.

My life is empty of good complicated history related quests. What do I live for anons?
>>
>>1094613
I think Mini is actually about to put Boruto on the back-burner in a few weeks so he can get started with his new Ippo quest.
>>
>>1094493
Problem is pacing and players randomness that make the endgame hard to plan out. You technically need an end and most QM (and to a certain point players) have difficulties with that.
>>
Speaking of which , when's Larro back for audit quest?
>>
>>1094849
Sometime between now and August.

I want more of larro's silly shenanigans even if I miss most of the threads.
>>
>>1094768
He's also said that he's got some ideas for the DMC quest
>>
Remember Cosgrove's quests? Full Kubo Bleach Quest, and Peter Parker Quest?

Those got super ridiculous in the best way, and then other people ruined it for everybody and Cosgrove kinda gave up on both, I think.
>>
I just worry about re:qm.
They've gone radio dead for another month.
>>
Because it takes effort writing, even if the writing itself isn't particularly difficult.

T. literally 5 quests that broke 20 players
>>
>>1094613
crusty the tripfag clown is dead?
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 500x333px
I miss the DER KRIEG quest. I mean we still kinda talk all of us but one day QM just vanished.
>>
>>1096391
Yeah that one was also pretty good.
>>
Anyone remember Exterminator Quest? Totemist Quest? rip
>>
anyone remember jara?
>>
>>1094776
It would be nice if bad rolls to a risky move actually ended in a game over.
QMs prefer to keep the total "luck" of the quest to be relatively neutral (if great things happen, bad events will balance it out to avoid steamrolling everything, and if devastating things happen, fortunate events will bring back hope) so that eventual victory seems possible but not guaranteed.
and then they just stop in the middle.
>>
>>1094613
Give it time anon, give it time. I stopped DMC quest because what I wanted to do then was far too ambitious.

Overall it seems being too ambitious is the overall issue in terms of people abandoning stuff. I'm cutting out big swathes now for the sake of speed. One day DMC quest will return.
>>
>>1096863
That's because a lot less people like game over than some want to believe. Kind of like how people don't really want amazing AI in games, they just want AI that's just enough to challenge them.
>>
>>1096154
Crusty Jay, QM of Homeless Mutant Quest.
>>
>>1097092
surely they at least admit that it is better than instantaneously discontinued
>>
>>1096591
Exterminator quest was good, Fuck anyone remember Stormtrooper quest? I want another quest like that man, where we are just an unapologetic foot soldier to an undoubtably evil power
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2MB, 720x2259px) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2MB, 720x2259px
>>
>>1097318
If you want stormtroopers/Imperials/star wars check out my quest (star wars warlords). Discord's here: https://discord.gg/WHhDYyb

Yeah, quests are hard to plan ends for. You need to have one in mind when you start, or it'll just sort of wither.
>>
>>1097639
Checking it out, Here is hoping that it lasts.
>>
>>1097701
Y'all find it ok? it's all logged on sup/tg/ under Star Wars Warlords Quest (used to be SWWQ but i fucked up the tagging on the last thread)
>>
>>1097817
It has actually gotten pretty good by the latest thread, I found your shorter posts in the first couple threads lacked description, which while you have improved, you should keep getting better, now i only say that as a forever dm, but i like you have found a new reader
>>
>>1097841
*Like it and you have found a new reader
>>
>>1097851
>>1097841
Woot! Always happy to have someone new onboard! We'll probably start running again tomorrow. I'll post on twitter and in the Discord. (I'll stop shilling my own quest now)
>>
>>1094493
Fuck if I know, but it hurts.
>>
Still waiting for that hellsing quest in the early days of qst.
Qm just disappeared
>>
File: HAWA.png (6KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
HAWA.png
6KB, 299x300px
Well, we're still here! Maybe those of you that had some knacks for monsters can jump in to the Evogame Thread.

Its been lonely up there. We're just get out of a extinction event, and theres a pdf to get you know whos who, so things are pretty simple now!
>>
>>1098014
Sorry bro. I tried to play evo quest once. Not me cup of tea
>>
It could be a number of reasons.
>QM is a giant faggot and quits for no reason
>QM quits due to actually running a quest being vastly different than what they imagined
>QM quits due to lack of players
>QM quits due to lack of feedback, especially when they ask for it
>QM faces real life circumstances that force them to stop running their quest
>Players down vote so hard the quest loses popularity and/or the QM kills themselves
>QM doesn't have Twitter, thus disabling any chance of participation
>>
>>1098069
Forgetting the curse
>>
>>1098080
>ignores valid points in favor of superstition
>>
Anyone remember A Song of Fire and hate?
How about deniable assets quest,
Are there any other oldfags that were around for Zerg quest? or predator quest? "fis pls"
Or fuck, Nazis in fantasy land? that was well written shit,What about Heretical Love? I am still Mad about how AI quest ended, has anyone heard anything from the Qm of Star Wars: Fortune Hunter quest? i know Joker quest is still running, unlike alot of quests from 2012 The only two i know of being for house and dominion and Maverick Hunter, now these Quests are all pretty good and well written, Freelance Ghost quest is an Often forgotten Gem Or Armored Core quest, Christ you wanna read good quests? Go to the Tg Archives Set the date to almost any month in 2012 and click on most any quest there it was the golden age
>>
>>1098115
Not ignoring more surprised that the curse is not on the list at all
>>
>>1098142
My God. Where is malroy? Almost forgot about him
>>
>>1098014
extinction events are just so fucking demoralizing.

I was really active one thread, a bit less the next, and now I just have lost all motivation
>>
File: 1398380271246.png (27KB, 237x248px) Image search: [Google]
1398380271246.png
27KB, 237x248px
>>1094493
>RIP Homeless Mutant Quest
Where did ya go, Crusty?
>>
>>1096873
>Overall it seems being too ambitious is the overall issue in terms of people abandoning stuff.
This, making a long term quest is an activity that requires a longer term dedication and planning with a high risk of failure due to the list of reasons at >>1098069

Not gonna lie, no matter how we look at QMing, it is not an easy thing to do in the long term. You need to regularly produce content during an extended period of time, be mostly on time, and have to deal with an audience that is finicky, capricious and demanding but also detached and fleeting. After awhile QMing starts to feel quite the responsibility which can often kill the fun aspect of it.
>>
>>1098259
To see Deadpool in theathers.
>>
I enjoy Shipgirl Commander but the QM has a pretty bad rep and I think it's pretty damn slow on updates.

It's very cliche, though, so it may not be for you.

Also, he says it's influenced by X-COM but I'm getting Persona vibes... and the combat system is kind of wonky, but if you're interested, it's worth a shot. The worst you can do is just not play it.
>>
>>1094493
I've bailed on at least 5 quests after running just a single thread, even ones that were in the 20+ participants. Every time I run it's incredibly fun, but time consuming and exhausting. By the time i've run one I usually decide i could use a break, then i lose the interest in running it again and come up with some new idea. The pattern repeats every few months.
>>
>>1098142
Zerg quest with Tsatz? The huge zerg king thing that was baout to fight a leviathan and shit?

Sigh
>>
File: 1460252308458.png (80KB, 1434x1658px) Image search: [Google]
1460252308458.png
80KB, 1434x1658px
>>1098014
I got way too into an Evo game once before it devolved into shitposting and died. It broke my heart too much to join another.
>>
>>1100344
Maybe you'd like them more if you actually followed through and developed them more.

>>1100370
I know that meel man.
>>
>>1100362
No man Zerg quest with Cerabrate Anon
>>
>>1098142
Heretical Love my dude, Zombie and Witch was pretty groovy too.
I miss Papa-N.
Some of his copycats were pretty fun too, like HoboQuest.
I miss that kind of silly, fun quests.
>>
Personally I'm just waiting for soma to return and hook up the crack cocaine that is banished quest, and diarca has come back like 5 times so it's just a matter of time for totemist quest to be back
>>
>>1100344
REEE!
You are the problem!

>>1098069
>>QM doesn't have Twitter, thus disabling any chance of participation
Why is twitter important? Isn't that for normies?
I participate in plenty of quests without consulting twitter
>>
>>1102066
Where can I find a complete archive of the totemist quest?
suptg starts at 3 and then jumps to 5, 7, 32, 34 etc.
>>
>>1102187
Used to be 4plebs and Archived.moe had them
>>
>>1098268
Shorter plans would be better it seems. That's my plan with The Fighting Quest. When I started DMC Quest, I opened up with the intention of just running it forever and making this huge interactive story. No amount of planning could account for all the variables involved with keeping a story headed towards an intended direction, and also giving players freedom of choice.

I realized that if I wanted to still end up at the place I wanted to be, in terms of writing the story, I'd need to be able to better direct things.

With Boruto Quest, I now think I've more or less got it down. I've had to pick and choose what ideas I might want over other ones. I want to make progress in moving forward in the story each thread.
>>
>>1102828
i always got the impression with DMC quest that it was like the second season of supernatural, Just Wandering around and putting down various Spooky threats, Which aside from your writing/dialogue also being awesome, was a pretty good formula
>>
>>1102828
Please tell me more of your methods, I really could use some tutoring about directing the quest without railroading but giving the audience the freedom.
>>
>>1104020
Thanks anon. It indeed was fun and good for a weekly type of story, and it was my intention to sort of tie the missions into a larger plot overall.

>>1104409
Gradient changes is probably the single most helpful idea that's been working for me. Instead of leaving things up to luck, or having a hard fail state, I try to present players with options that will either push them closer to success, or closer to failure. Often times, especially early on, there'd be bias in these situations.

For example, in the earliest parts of Boruto Quest, the MC was so much weaker than everyone around him that it was laughable. But there was also very little actual threat. Losses were defined by your pride getting hurt.

So, he was put into this situation where he'd be constantly trying to one up everyone around him for the sake of finally winning one over. There was a part where a much more skilled foe was put in front of them, and they had to take out every trick in the bag to land a single punch. After which, they forfeited the fight, realizing that after all their tools had been used up they had virtually no chance. So, the success of the moment was defined by the context of the situation, rather than winning the fight directly. There have been other times later on, where it was sort of unclear whether or not a mission was actually successful. I try to include the choice of say, leaving your allies at risk to go for the objective, or protecting them at the cost of potentially jeopardizing the main reason you're there.

Lots of give and take.

In terms of very long term plans, I find myself working backwards. Think of a scenario that you know is going to happen, because some things are just outside of the player's control. Then, from there, let the moments leading up to that and post-that be up to their choices.

I think, in a way, there should always be some sort of clock ticking down, or choice to make. I try to strike a balance between giving players the freedom to approach a situation how they want, and being put between a rock and a hard place.

Players should have a considerable amount of agency, but they live in a world defined by rules that they have no control over. As the quest goes on, I think giving them more agency, and making the world more hostile at the same time, is a good balance.

For example, currently in Boruto Quest, the MC has found himself in a situation nearly identical to the start. He's stagnated somewhat in his training, and all of his old allies that he surpassed are starting to shoot ahead simply because they're more talented than him. Now the players need to find a more creative solution for fights than brute force, which was the original intention of the quest
>>
>>1104484

Every story is different, though. I've had to cut out some things I wanted to do in order to give the players more agency, but I've also restricted them from doing certain things in order to keep things moving along a more sane path. It'll require lots of judgement calls on an individual basis.

This is sort of why I plan almost nothing for my quests. I have long term goals with a vague idea of how to get to them. Do you have any sort of specific questions concerns, regarding this type of stuff? I feel like my answer could be expanded on possibly but I'm not sure how without repeating myself.
>>
File: cyclops_05.png (47KB, 390x340px) Image search: [Google]
cyclops_05.png
47KB, 390x340px
>>1104486
Thank you for your input. I have some weaknesses with writing quests.

Number one is that my typing accuracy is shit and I am not native english so I don't write accurately and with good form. Also I am not a very well read person so I am still in the process learning how writing decent stories work. Second is that being a drawfag I usually approach creative work visually, which is why I did drawquests instead of ones that are text heavy, but we can't have that without writing.

My biggest gripe is that I am a guy that relies on planning stuff ahead and not good with improvising solutions and adapting to the audience. The few quests I did I felt that the solution for most problems was incredibly obvious every time. I feel that I just can't find the balance between giving the players agency and not railroading to a predetermined goal.
>>
>>1104546
Hmmm, well I wasn't able to tell you're not native based on what you've said in this thread. Most people I know can barely read or write at all.

Truthfully I take so much inspiration from media that I've seen or read that I sometimes feel guilty. I always alter things or rejigger them. Since all of my quests have been high octane, action focused ones, I have tons of material for reference.

The best way to improve might be to look for inspiration in things with a similar concept to your quest, or even just within a similar genre. It's one of the advantages of being a colossal nerd.

I think if you want to get better at adapting on the fly, you should read some manga or watch some anime. These people are not planning the stories out at all, and are very clearly making things up as they go. Naruto isn't very good frankly, but something like Jojo's bizzare adventure might help.

What they might lack in pacing, logic, and interesting characters, is made up for many fold in terms of creativity.
>>
Being a player means living with the idea that a quest you love dearly could possible die out at the drop of a hat, it has happened many times before and will continue to happen. In some cases the fear of the QM dying is higher than the fear of them just dropping the quest.
>>
File: cyclops_21.png (50KB, 372x394px) Image search: [Google]
cyclops_21.png
50KB, 372x394px
>>1104570
Yes I am familiar that a shounen manga are written with the goal to "run forever" because it will be published only as long as their arbitrary ratings are high and it can be pulled off the papers at any time so they have to be designed in a way to have the option to be taken extremely long or end abruptly. To be honest I don't read manga/watch anime anymore the last time I was interested in them was many years ago. But I might pick it again.

It is great to have high octain action focused quests, I prefer more cutesy ones that are kind of similar to old school "point & click adventure" games. I do want to try some horror at some point too.
>>
>>1103032

This was a one-shot style kind of quest I ran today (though it ended up being two different stories) about a sentient sculpture/statue. The two stories had entirely different themes due to different players in both but I'm over all satisfied with how it turned out and plan to do similar ones in the future. I'd be thrilled if somebody could give me an honest rating/review on it for the future.
>>
What happened to TG Meta Quest?
Would anyone like another?
>>
>>1098142
I remember DAQ that was a lot of fun, it was never the same when it came back from hiatus; and you know shit's about to die when you ask players what they want to accomplish as Ivan to get an idea where to take the story and people just say we have to fuck X or Y girl next.
>>
>>1104790
Was that the fa/tg/uy in fantasy land quest? I never checked that one out but I saw it all the time.
>>
>>1104804
Nope I googled it, damn son I forgot about that.
>>
>>1098259
He's running thread #328 on the great image board in the sky.
>>
>>1098142
I remember reading that Fall Guy got burnt out and tried to turn it into a sort of story time

There's also firebender quest, we had just gotten home and had an impromptu fire dance at the parade in our honor

And the cliffhanger from
Republic Commando quest
>>
>>1097373
>>
>>1104790
You mean The one where we Hunted down mary sues?
>>
File: 1441563840710.png (178KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1441563840710.png
178KB, 330x319px
>>1104714
Just read it, many keks and tears were had.

It seemed kinda strange that the effects of marginal rolls were just as profound as the extreme rolls, but it was hilarious so it hardly mattered.
If you were wanting a literary analysis, hopefully someone else can provide.
Good Quest mang

>mfw the dice gods replicated Lenin's life perfectly.
>mfw the dice gods made Hitler completely miserable yet still kept him alive long enough for more suffering until the end.
>>
>>1109075
Yep, that one.
>>
File: GS.png (20KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
GS.png
20KB, 576x576px
>Tfw you used to be a decent am with a small following and you suddenly disappeared with no explanation
>>
>>1098142
>>1108267
the big problem with DAQ is that Fall Guy took a good, long look at his "main" plot, rightly realized it was bonkers, but was left without a direction to take the quest.

EEQ didn't quite have as much impact despite, or perhaps because of the more defined setting.
>>
>>1104546
You sound like you just need someone to bounce ideas off of while running. That's not a bad thing, there are worse things 2 buds could be doing while hanging out and/or drinking.
>>
>>1094755
I was in that quest... it was... complex...
>>
File: part3_07.png (30KB, 297x283px) Image search: [Google]
part3_07.png
30KB, 297x283px
>>1116100
You are quite observant. Yes indeed my starting point of view is that my ideas inherently suck and before I even tell them to anyone I need to either A) Come up with some clever cover up this fact or B) Make sure that the other has zero expectations for me. Usually going for A so I spend a lot of time for planning stuff ahead.
>>
>>1119221
you forgot the very important part I said
>drinking
you can always play it off as drunk rambling

.....I mean, you could also find people in chat places like discord and bounce ideas there, but it's better to take any chances to merge your online and offline activities.
>>
>>1098069
>>1098080
>>1098115
Is the curse not just 'real life forces am to stop running', or have I misunderstood what the curse is?
>>
>>1102067
Helps your players know when you're running/if you can't run. I find it to be much more reliable than /qtg/ and leaps and bounds better than just hoping your players notice you in the cstalog
>>
>>1119221
You know, you could bounce your ideas off the people in a certain IRC channel.
>>
>>1124353
Like?
>>
>>1126120
Like one where you only appear when a particular game is running.

If you don't know, then I mistook you for another person. In which case, sorry.
>>
File: Poka news meme.png (635KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Poka news meme.png
635KB, 1280x720px
>>1126355
You mean this one? I really don't want to be a bother.
>>
>>1126371
I really don't think you will.
>>
>>1126371
>don't want to be a bother
haha, nice joke.

Sleepy, you are
>a drawfag
>not a shitposter
it'd be kind of hard for you to be a bother compared to a lot of other people.

about the only remotely possible way you could be annoying is if people want you to draw more stuff for civs but they don't want to ask because they don't want to look like an ass.
>>
>>1126371
Poka, I love you!
>>
>>1119221
Hi, Sleepy!

Don't worry, plan A is basically how I run my life. Constantly fucking stuff up, but understanding well enough how to turn a negative into a positive, making things work out decently in the long run.

If you can do that then no matter how pathetic your inital fuckups, everyone will think you are awesome anyway. Right, guys?

>>1126371
Speaking of games that will never be resolved or ended...
>>
File: Flora_01.jpg (475KB, 839x1138px) Image search: [Google]
Flora_01.jpg
475KB, 839x1138px
>>1127099
>>1127108
>>1126380
>>1126371
Awww thank you guys you so nice to me! Have some old art.
>>
File: Vianna.png (675KB, 1055x1180px) Image search: [Google]
Vianna.png
675KB, 1055x1180px
>>1126489
missed your post
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.