[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/civ/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

File: civs.jpg (7MB, 2200x8211px) Image search: [Google]
civs.jpg
7MB, 2200x8211px
discuss and share various kinds of civ games, from risk to world builders.
here is recent OC
>>
>>1093747
Betty gud but you might want to revise the descriptions of the lands.
>>
>>1093747
>Elves breed slower than drow, giants and cyclops
>Dwarves breed as fast as humans
>The only thing that breeds slower than elves is crystalids

Other than that it looks good despite the lack of hardcore land options and the out-of-place seeming black & white picture for the myceloid.
>>
>>1093747
Um, okay.
What do you consider is more fun civ game to play for you guys?
A math/list/chart/calculation/etc. heavy civ quest or one with fewer calculations and more story/roleplay?
Also has anyone hosted a science fiction or post-apocalyptic civ thread before?
>>
>>1094582
Cause elves are all faggots
>>
>>1094788
Post Apoc sounds REALLY interesting. Maybe with a grid map because grid-layout city, with hospitals, police stations, etc to control to get resources.
>>
>>1093747
>perks that make 10% differences
not a fan, desu

Exactly what about this is "new"? I'm seeing the same stats, and the locations don't really seem better.
>>
>>1093747
human
ruins
>>
I've said this before, but anything with Dinosaurs is automatically going to be fun. Shit, a Jurassic Park civ/manager game where you have to divide up your resources, manage a park and decide if you want that Triceratops to have two horns or three would be fun in my opinion.
>>
>>1094788
The last one.
Friends of the Faun did that style nicely.
>>
File: Card_draws_6b.jpg (725KB, 925x868px) Image search: [Google]
Card_draws_6b.jpg
725KB, 925x868px
Oh a civ general, well it has been long but I guess I can still pitch in with my old shit for those that don't know about it:

For all civ masters there is a selection of 40 event cards available for your free use made by yours truly.

Reminder: These are OPTIONAL tools for CMs to spice up their campaign. They purposefully do not have any specifics, their effects and interpretation is at the full discretion of the CM. I realize some events are uniformly good and some are uniformly bad, I did my best to have them interesting.

Currently there is no order, system or rule set behind them (not yet at least) so their usage is also completely up to the CM. For example "ore vein" is only intended to find an ore vein but what kind of ore is up to the CM. Events that affect some races negatively might not affect others or affect them positively. For example plague might not affect undead/constructs Civs (unless the CM rules that it is a special plague) but affect the living races. Mystic vortex would not affect low magic Civs but heavily affect high magic Civs. Insect swam may be devastating to agricultural races but may be beneficial to insect eating races etc. Feel free to get creative with their use you can even have a roll or vote with the players to choose from a list of positive or negative effects.

The card album is at imgur
http://imgur.com/a/xtYLp#0

There is also a selection of card hand pictures for fluff or for your players to draw from as well as the card back.
http://imgur.com/a/dPcrN#0
>>
File: Chest.jpg (14KB, 324x277px) Image search: [Google]
Chest.jpg
14KB, 324x277px
>>1094788
I have been trying to make a macro using Excel table to run the civ math but my Excel skills are pretty mediocre so there is a lot of work involved and there is also a hell lot of shit to work with.
>>
>>1095100
>>1095113
Betty gud
>>
I'll never accept any civ chart that excludes gnome rape, it's been a mainstay of civ thread meta culture.
>>
>>1094788
I think some math and tech trees need to be in place to avoid shenanigans.
But I think more importantly that roleplay and detailed explanations of tech should get a significant bonus.

Not really post-apocalyptic but one of my favs was in the Haunted Forest. The atmosphere of mystery and fearful uncertainty was really well established with daily random encounters and a very small starting pop.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/955910/
If anyone wants to revive this quest I could guarantee at least one or two players if CST compatible.
>>
>>1094788
I've tried math-heavy, and though I think I can make it work, I'm more interested in far less as a CM.

I'd rather keep the math to mechanics that don't spread like tech trees, and even then only if I can hook it up to a table like >>1095113
>>
File: Celebrations_001.jpg (71KB, 237x387px) Image search: [Google]
Celebrations_001.jpg
71KB, 237x387px
>>1097933
>But I think more importantly that roleplay and detailed explanations of tech should get a significant bonus.
Could you explain this further to me? When everyone have access to the Internet people can easily look up and copy paste an easy explanation for pretty much anything.
>>
>>1098254
But they don't. Most people only have the slightest idea of most technologies, and nearly no knowledge of how one goes about inventing such a technology.
>>
>>1098254
Also, it's about the culture of how the civ views the tech and how they put their own personal spin on it.

The whole point of fantasy races is to create that "similar but different" feeling, and it can't ALL come from the CM.
>>
>>1098254
>>1098273
pretty much this
Even if they copy-paste, at least they still have to skim over what they're copying.
People could spend five minutes learning a little something about what they're doing, but instead they just go:
>Find Iron ore
>Learn smelting/smithing
>Make katanas and full-plate armor
And the QM doesn't bother doing any research either, so he just gives it to them with a good dice roll.

Meanwhile the guy who bothers setting up the proper infrastructure is screwing himself because he wastes a bunch of actions. (In multi-civs at least)
Also ties in to the math issue, because smelting requires a lot of fuel and produces a lot of slag. So it requires a lot of infrastructure to produce any workable quantity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM3krXtc7Fc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVV4xeWBIxE

>>1098292
Also this.
People keep meta-gaming to recreate real-world tech instead of staying in character and working with what they have.
Instead of looking for horses and wheat, perhaps try some fantasy beast/crops native to your region. Even better if you try to link whatever you're doing with some religious/cultural motivation.
If you insist on doing real-world tech you can bother doing a bare minimum of research, so you can try to RP the discoveries.
>Find Sulfur
v.
>One night while sitting around the fire, Bob was absentmindedly playing with a yellow rock. As he decided to retire for the evening, he threw it into the fire. Suddenly there was a loud *POP!* and the fire roared causing everyone to jump back, falling off their seats. Before anyone could ask what was happening, the fire returned to normal. Looking around confused, Bob got the idea to repeat what he just did, finding another yellow rock and throwing it into the flames. Amazingly the same thing happened. He then asked Joe where these rocks came from and the next day they grabbed a large basket and went to gather more.
>>
File: civ_chart.png (2MB, 720x2259px) Image search: [Google]
civ_chart.png
2MB, 720x2259px
>>1093747
>>
>>1094997
I was the Op of that and this made me really happy
>>
>>1102653
Though I was heavily inebriated while writing that
>>
what is the most extensive char so far? I remember seeing a chart that had a lot more races to play.
>>
>>1094997
Too bad OP was a tremendous faggot.
>>
File: 1483558444068.jpg (7MB, 2880x8640px) Image search: [Google]
1483558444068.jpg
7MB, 2880x8640px
>>1103168
This is the biggest one I've seen, although it's still missing a few races that are present on other charts. iirc the right side is mostly from pathfinder?
We really need to compile them all into a mega comprehensive one tbch.
>>
>>1103257
agreed, and I'd like to make the suggestion of adding Dragons as a playable race. Granted they are a bit powerful, but I think that just creates a different play style for QMs to mess around with
>>
File: alien_jungle_by_ahaas.jpg (177KB, 900x534px) Image search: [Google]
alien_jungle_by_ahaas.jpg
177KB, 900x534px
also here is an idea for a new location

Warp plane
+abundant flora and fauna

- your people have been exiled or warped into this landscape so you are not familiar with anything that lives here (truly alien, and many unknown hazards)

- Other races have verifying levels of technology, most likely out stretching your own.
>>
>>1093747
I find these fucking charts to be the worst
>>
>>1103360
Hm, interesting. Kinda like Pandora from Avatar? Or maybe played with a Morrowind style?
That could be fun. Especially since most fantasy civ worlds still seem to be populated mostly with normal plants & animals for some reason.
>>
File: civ op biggest.jpg (4MB, 2700x6000px) Image search: [Google]
civ op biggest.jpg
4MB, 2700x6000px
>>1103257
>>1103360
>>1103279
Pic related was the biggest I have in my archive although it is quite outdated by now.

While it had a lot less exotic races and more generic fantasy races dragonborn was part of earlier charts, which implied heavily that they were relying on true dragons for leadership and possibly other ways like creating more of their kind of the dragon's blood or something.
>>
>>1104078
Basically, I wanted to add some more "Fantasy" options for quests.
>>
>>1104479
though I wouldn't mind some more sci-fi themed stuff too.

Here's another one

The living forest:
basically like the warp plane, but the foliage is particularly hostel, and possibly sentient.
>>
>>1104487
Actually, it would be neat to have a chart just for a sci-fi civ thread. More alien species, and exotic locations. with some races starting out either technologically stunted or advanced.
>>
File: ManVsOrc.png (22KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ManVsOrc.png
22KB, 640x640px
Tbh I don't understand why you faggots won't learn from success. There's been a civ thread on here that's been running successfully for more than a half a year now that has loads of routine players, a very active discord, an immersive world, plenty of OC in the form of memes, and a surprisingly deep lore.

Why you don't emulate this is beyond me. All I see are the same tired attempts based off these same image macros that everyone who spends a week on /qst/ sees. These kinds of civs ALWAYS go one of two ways:
1) The QM allows the aforementioned retardation here >>1099077 to continue and propagate, which ruins the game early by basically making it alt-history with some fantasy influences, and inevitably results in the players' civ snowballing into something utterly indestructible and everyone (QM usually included) getting bored two months in.
2) The QM has some integrity and won't let the players be retarded about copying what was/is successful irl, and because the setup is usually so generic with these same handful of image macros that detail the same settings and races, everyone loses interest almost immediately and leaves before long, which discourages the QM and usually kills the civ.

You need some sort of hook, or at least a gimmick to keep the players around. The aforementioned successful civ has managed it by allowing player-controlled factions to have a direct influence on the world and the game at large. It allowed for the creation of genuine player-made culture and even interaction within the civ itself, which kept players around even through faction wipes and the massive, near-constant disasters that the QM is known for loving. You need to make the players invested in your civ, not somehow just railroad them away from the obvious metallurgy memes. You don't fix it by corralling the autism, you fix it by HARNESSING it.

tl;dr Civ threads are bad almost inherently and will be until more QMs figure out how to roll with the 'tism
>>
>>1093747

A question occurs, does Left Beyond Quest count as a civ game?
>>
>>1105108
I'd argue it has civ game elements, but would be more of a traditional quest due to the semi-linear nature and the character-driven storyline.
>>
>>1105109

Thanks!
>>
>>1104989
I honestly don't know why more anons don't just run a civ more akin to how people run quests, like Friends of the Faun, it wasn't hard to think up a story line after the vote, and the added improv to the storyline gave the players inspiration on how to continue.

Always disappointed that I dropped it, but I didn't have time for it back then.

might run a quest-civ again soon
>>
I think, if a race could learn how the floating isles DO float, they'd be able to expand if they could get down.

Or, as a dryad/fungi race, simply colonize a bit on the bottom land.

Figuring ot a way to tie the lands together or build bridges could significantly ease travel.
>>
>>1105763

I'm doing the best I can!
>>
>>1102653
I wish you continue it. It was fun.
>>
>>1104487
This would be fun.
Something like Nausicca's Fungi Forests or in a Tree of Palme setting.
>>
>>1105763
I try a little bit of both. you vote on matters of the civilization. but you have a main leader character who can interact with other characters.
>>
File: screen.png (295KB, 703x814px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
295KB, 703x814px
i like the idea of sci-fi civ. these are the first two races ive developed
itll come out relatively soon lads
added flavor text for world building
>>
>>1107387
Nice nice nice
>>
>>1107387
i like it.
>>
>>1099453
>>
>>1107387
American suit gimmick is a bit more retarded than it should be, but within acceptable parameters. Meme it.
>>
>>1103257
I think what needs to happen is a sheet that is much more editable than a jpg. We could probably make do that with adobe illustrator, adobe indesign, or photoshop file. But a unified chart should be the Civ General's main priority.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.