[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Naval Officer /qst/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: mutine.jpg (14KB, 300x194px) Image search: [Google]
mutine.jpg
14KB, 300x194px
She's not what you expected.

An old ship, outdated before, during, and after construction. An unlucky ship, killing two of her engineers, two of her gunners, and two of her officers. Now it's your mess.

The small grey ship sits snugly next to quay where it's moored. You can tell already she was just taken out of a long life of reserve duties, as the hull looks too new for a combat vessel laid down five years ago.

You adjust your officers dress hat and climb aboard the gangway, followed by an inspections officer and a logistics official. After a quick tour through the cramped ship, the two men leave to do their respective duties, and you grip the cold metal rail, looking across the full harbor.

Now, before we begin your story, we need your background. You are a:

[1] Fresh graduate from a prestigious Naval Academy, member of a prominent military family, one of the elites; favored by the Admiralty and despised by the lowborn crewmen.
[2] A local sailor whose family struggled to send through the Academy. A simple commoner, more in tune with your crew members but looked down on by the aristocrats.

What did you spend your time focusing on in school?

[1] Gunnery
[2] Tactics/Strategy
[3] Military History
[4] Sailing
[5] Leadership classes

And what is your strong suit?

[1] I am a man of action, and I believe that if you hit first, you are destined to win. In the heat of battle, a plan means nothing.
[2] The best offense is a good defense. It is unwise to send ships to die, instead one must destroy his enemy by luring them into defeat.
[3] I am no fan of close quarters slaughter, and I would much rather ensure the success of my ships by planning all possible avenues of battle.

And finally, what is your nationality?

[1] A proud Swarelian, citizen of the oldest empire on this planet, host to a plethora of cultures and ideas
[2] A Litvanion, member of a race of hard working and simple people who have defended their lands for centuries
[3] A Osmoldich, born in a place where military trumps culture, where blood and iron is the way to win.
>>
>>1045664
>2
>4
>2
>2
We're a crafty underdog.
>>
>>1045664
>2
>2
>3
>2
>>
>>1045673
>>1045685
Just a few more votes.
>>
>>1045664
>2
>2
>3
>3
>>
>>1046030
>>1045685
>>1045673
writing
>>
File: harbour.jpg (61KB, 700x403px) Image search: [Google]
harbour.jpg
61KB, 700x403px
>>1046123
On the wishes of your father you went to the Naval Academy, a last ditch effort by a family racked with poverty. You were their hope for a better life and you worked your body to near-death to achieve success.

While lowborn students at the Litvanion Naval Academy was not unheard of, you felt as if you were prejudiced your entire time there. You were endlessly harassed but you persevered. You studied the great battles of the time, finding what would bring victory. You began to draw up your own doctrines, branching off from what they taught to you at the Academy. From your daily classes you began to understand that the grand age of line battles is drawing to a close. New guns will keep ships far away from each other. Superior tactics will win out against a bigger navy.

You graduate 4th in your class. Because of your achievements you received a preliminary commission as a Lieutenant Commander. This would entitle you to a Frigate. But instead, you find yourself on an tiny auxiliary patrol craft.

Your eyes dart across the bay to focus on a great battleship at bay. The Justicar. An immense vessel, with two turrets housing double 10 inch-gun mounts. Secondary guns stick out from the side like stakes on a palisade. Your hands grip on the hard metal railing. That ship will some day be yours, or perhaps, you will be commanding a far more magnificent ship.

You turn away from the railing to inspect your own vessel. Two 4 inch guns sit idly on the deck, only barely protected by a half inch of steel boxing in all but one side of the gun.

Two machine guns flank either side of each main gun, giving protection from smaller vessels and boarding operations.

Just below the railing, on the citadel of the ship, two smaller 3 inch guns poke out from the side in small steel casements in the ship.

Under your feet is the inner machinations of this runt of a ship. Crew quarters, a tiny mess hall and the large engine room cramp up what room the ship has.

A few feet from you is a raised platform with a canopy and a searchlight. A small, useless bridge for a small, useless ship.

You get bored of topside and decide to go down below decks, but to where?

[1] Gun casements, inspect the secondary guns for wear and tear

[2] The engine room, examine the engines that will propel you to victory

[3] The crew quarters. You might as well get to know the men who you serve with

[4] Your personal cabin. Make yourself at home, the home you will be staying in for a long time.
>>
>>1046315
>[3] The crew quarters. You might as well get to know the men who you serve with
>>
>>1046315
>[2] The engine room, examine the engines that will propel you to victory
Lets meet the man who will be holding the ship together,
Also, are we in the the ship in the OP image?
>>
>>1046353
Supporting though if we have the chance I would also take a peak at >>1046373
>>
>>1046389
>>1046353
writing

>>1046373
and yes, that was my intention.
>>
>>1046505
Okay, so this quest predates torpedo boats, destroyers, armored cruisers and dreadnoughts?

Will we eventually see this quest's equivalent of the Battle of Tsushima?
>>
>>1046571
This seems the age of the Pre-Dreadnaught, with small amounts of Large guns and shitton of secondaries. Post Ironclad
>>
File: stoking.jpg (94KB, 740x535px) Image search: [Google]
stoking.jpg
94KB, 740x535px
>>1046373
>>1046389

You begin to walk along the side of the ship, passing under dusty portholes. Your dress shoes click and clack on the wood deck of the vessel as it quietly rocks back and forth in the gentle bay.

The main citadel of the ship sits only a few inches higher than you, but it's enough to fit a large metal door. Heaving the thing open you enter into a short hallway. From here on out, cheap rolled metal is all you see on the floors and walls.

You follow a staircase down into the below decks, a stuffy and cramped place. Down the main hallway you just entered, forwards to your left is the crew quarters, an assuredly dingy place. To the right, behind you, is the mess hall, which is just a large closet with a small table.

Down the hall is a crossroads, with both side routes leading to the gun casements you saw above deck. Further down the hall is the machinery section and behind you is the officers quarters.

You approach the door to the engineering section, the ship quiet. The thick metal is as heavy as it is big, finally opening with some effort. The engine room is a sizable expanse in relation to the ship, with a large double boiler sitting in the middle of the room, surrounded by coal. Large dirty men are sitting in the corner, playing some card game, until they notice you.

Two of them approach you and look you over with disdain. The one on the left, a squat man with a barrel chest speaks first in his native tongue, which happens to be your native tongue. How do you respond?
[1] We are, after all, in the Litvanion navy. Speak the language of politics.

[2] Respond to him in his language, make them feel comfortable. Just be sure to not do it around other officers.
>>1046571
Mhm, this quest takes place in roughly 1890s, only a little bit before the grand age of all dreadnoughts and huge naval arms races.

And yes, a Tsushima is planned to occur. Whether we are in it directly is up to the choices you guys make.
>>
>>1046505
What year or time period are we in
>>
>>1046691
>2 we aren't a high born noble so we shouldn't act like it
>>
>>1046691
>[2] Respond to him in his language, make them feel comfortable. Just be sure to not do it around other officers.
>>
>>1046691
>[2] Respond to him in his language, make them feel comfortable. Just be sure to not do it around other officers.
>>
>>1046744
>>1046707
>>1046703
ok writing
>>
File: stateroom.jpg (9KB, 236x177px) Image search: [Google]
stateroom.jpg
9KB, 236x177px
>>1046882

>>1046882

You respond with a friendly hello in your first language. The coal worker gives you a smile of broken teeth and extends a hand for you to shake. You take his hand and shake it. Pulling away after a bit you look at your hand, covered in coal dust. You need to remind yourself to not touch your white dress uniform anytime soon.

The friendly worker invites you over to the corner to sit down with the rest of them, which you oblige. The corner table consists of a large barrel surrounded with sacks of coal that the men have decided to rest on. You approach and sit on a sack of coal, ruining the seat of your white pants. You begin to talk with the engineers, and the discussion ends on a high note.

Leaving the boiler room you decide that you could do with a change of clothes. You make your way to your quarters and open the only good looking door on this ship. Your stateroom is quite spacious compared to the rest of the ship so far. A "bed" hugs the wall to the left, and across from it on the right is a large cabinet and table for maps. Opening the cabinet you find officers clothes, a nice black uniform with gold buttons. You put it on and put the soiled dress uniform in place of the black uniform.

You feel a exhausted so you sit at your desk, staring at the wood varnish. The map desk seems to have a drawer full of books and old battle maps, so what do you do?

[1] It's late in the day by now, I should sleep
[2] Let's look over some old maps, read some books
[3] Other

this is gonna be my last update for the night, i'd rather not write when i'm tired. g'night
>>
>>1047107
>[3] Other
Review the deployment orders and find the first mate to discuss them
>>
>>1047107
>>
>>1047165
This
>>
>>1047165
This
And cya tomorrow
>>
>>1047107
>>1047165
+1
>>
>>1047165
>>1047178
>>1047188
>>1047260
>>1047918
alright guys and gals i'm back, writing
>>
File: edmundfitz.jpg (109KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
edmundfitz.jpg
109KB, 330x500px
>>1048619

You reach into the drawer and pull out the ship manifest, a neatly arranged notebook. Flipping open the book to the crew page, you scan the list to find who your first mate is. You find the section for the first mate but the column for the name is empty... You judge this as an error on the part of the logistics officer who left the ship only a little bit ago. If you hurry you could catch up to him to sort out this problem.

But instead of doing that, you could pick a good man to be your temporary first mate. It would be a good way to increase the loyalty of your crew. Or you could not appoint a first mate at all, have all sergeants and chiefs report directly to you. In the end, it'd be better to have another "officer" on board to help keep the men in order. So you scan the crew list for the section chiefs to appoint. So who do you make your first mate?

[1] Chief Engineer
[2] Gunnery Sergeant
[3] Chief Navigator
[4] Other
>>
>>1048943
>[3] Chief Navigator
I'd assume he's the most qualified to act as a first officer, seeing as he should be familiar with the bridge and associated facilities.
>>
>>1048943
[1] Chief Engineer

The engine room seems the largest section of the ship, logically he is therefore used to dealing with the most responsibility and will adapt well to the additional tasks.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

>>1048950
>>1048949
Well, it's been 30 minutes, rolling for decision
>>
>>1048949
I would have gone with this
>>
>>1050188
Same.
>>
>>1045664
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.