[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did 4chan accomplish its original goals?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: secondnewspost.png (72KB, 1233x714px) Image search: [Google]
secondnewspost.png
72KB, 1233x714px
This Image is the exact second news post ever made as 4chan was just going online on October 1st, 2003.

http://www.4chan.org/news?all#2

^^The link to the second news post ever, describing the site's goals.

In the end he gave the site to Hiroyuki, the creator of 2chan to accomplish a "Full Circle" the title of the last mootpost.

These were the goals he listed:
Tell me which ones you thought he accomplished and which ones he didn't.

1. "4chan is meant to be an unofficial sister-site to 2chan.net"

2. "Equal alternative for non-Japanese speaking persons to interact as they would on 2chan"

3. "A large, helpful, friendly community"

4. "Keep your drama and warring elsewhere"

5."The only way this site will improve and hopefully flourish, is with constant user input on how it should be run."

6."Don't worry, there is no plan to put up several inactive sports and political forums."

7. "This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions"

8. "I politely asked people not to post stupid stuff on these boards"
>>
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Large; yes. Helpful, sometimes. Friendly, no.
4. No.
5. No.
6. Do I have to say it?
7. Not either comedy nor intelligent; people taking itself too seriously. No, I guess.
8. lel
>>
>le diversity
We were all retarded when we were teenagers.
>>
File: 1182157074079.jpg (17KB, 461x421px) Image search: [Google]
1182157074079.jpg
17KB, 461x421px
>goals
>>
1 yeah
2 yeah
3 no
4 bwahahah no
5 heeheehee no
6 XD no ULTRA FAIL RIGHT THERE
7 no but people like to think they are intelligent like /pol/
8 ylyl banana can answer this for you
>>
This is quite hilarious to read
>>
moot, 2003: I want this site to be a diverse community.

weeaboos, present day: 4chan is an anime website DESU DESU DESU!!!!11111!!!
>>
There's a reason why the rules we have are in place. There are also many reasons why moot left.
>>
>>414376
this.
1 yes
2. yes
3. not on the bigger boards, /fa/ /out/ /diy/ etc have all been helpful
4. mostly happens on the bigger boards as well.
5.nope
6.depends on your definition of success
7. nope
8. [s4s] exists
>>
>>414365
>1. "4chan is meant to be an unofficial sister-site to 2chan.net"
yes (it's THE western image board)
>2. "Equal alternative for non-Japanese speaking persons to interact as they would on 2chan"
yes
>3. "A large, helpful, friendly community"
kind of -- it's big, it's not terribly helpful (or terribly unhelpful), and it's definitely not friendly
>4. "Keep your drama and warring elsewhere"
fuck no
>5."The only way this site will improve and hopefully flourish, is with constant user input on how it should be run."
anyone remember how Moot's run had like no user input (full disclosure, I started coming here in 2006 or 2007)
>6."Don't worry, there is no plan to put up several inactive sports and political forums."
>>>/sp/ >>>/pol/
go see
>7. "This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions"
there's nearly no decent discussion, but there's a bit of funny shit and decent images
>8. "I politely asked people not to post stupid stuff on these boards"
and then Moot retracted that by making [s4s] and that one time he just made /pol/ a free-for-all (hilarious, but I don't think it actually helped anything at all)
and I like [s4s]

by that manifesto, 4chan is a hilarious failure
I like this place still, but hot damn.
>>
>>414365
Moot broke that fifth tenant when he made global rule 8
>>
>>414365

I do admire mook for doing all that work when he was like 14. seems like a big pain in the ass that few people would have done at that age.
>>

And faGGots still think moot was a sellout for giving them the boot.
>>
>Did 4chan accomplish its original goals?
Contemporaneously? No. Should you want it to have done so?

moot changed. Time passed. There is no help for that, nor should you want it otherwise: had 2003/4's 4chan remained static in terms of content novelty and post quality to this day this site would no longer exist, or its user-bases' would be much more homogenized with "outside culture".

moot has reiterated many times over the years that he did not expect 4chan to become what it has/had become. Could he have stopped it without killing the site? Tomato garden comparison: no. I think, perhaps, the biggest detriment to accomplishing the original goals is right there in your OP.

>we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions
>I politely asked people not to post stupid stuff on these boards
>constant user input on how it should be run

You cannot sustain any combination of two out of these three in an anonymous community such as it was. Thus the balancing act becomes trying to define and structure a model for maintaining a dynamic "object", which is the user-base. With the passage of time, an increase/change in users and moot growing older, the model had to change repeatedly or the site would die. moot suffered a lot through these proceedings, and I think part of it also destroyed his intentions of accomplishing #1, #3 and #4.

Imagine having a block of marble in front of you. You're going to make it into a statue. The only problem is that every time you approach a statuesque form, someone comes and strikes the marble with a hammer, breaking off a part of it. You can still make the statue, there's more marble - it simply needs to be cut smaller. Eventually the form of a statue is impossible to maintain: there is so little dynamic material left that you can manipulate - and it has become extremely difficult and time-consuming to do so - that there is no longer any point in attempting it. That's when he packed his bags.
>>
File: 1152326650634.jpg (55KB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
1152326650634.jpg
55KB, 300x289px
>>414503
>That's when he packed his bags.
m00tles packing his bags was ultimately caused by /pol/acks triggering him with all that 'cuck' stuff.
After that there was a few shootings by grinches or something and he decided enough was enough and bailed.
>>
>>414365
>1. "4chan is meant to be an unofficial sister-site to 2chan.net"
yeah. i mean, it's the largest english imageboard, one of the few to survive this long.
>2. "Equal alternative for non-Japanese speaking persons to interact as they would on 2chan"
don't speak ching chong so i don't know how people interact on 2chan, but there's a diversity so kinda I guess.
>3. "A large, helpful, friendly community"
large: yes.
helpful: sometimes. even big boards generally have a /sqt/ or /qtddtot/, so even in big boards you can find help as long as you lurk for more than 5 minutes.
kek
>5."The only way this site will improve and hopefully flourish, is with constant user input on how it should be run."
somewhat. there's too much diversity to please everyone so all m00t could do was keep this site alive and the bare bones functioning.
>6."Don't worry, there is no plan to put up several inactive sports and political forums."
lol. i guess he succeeded in that they're not inactive (maybe /news/ but we'll give it time. it's growing!)
>7. "This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions"
100% success in not having intelligence.
>8. "I politely asked people not to post stupid stuff on these boards"
failure.

>>414503
i know i couldn't have stayed that long. must've been exhausting, with all the shit he had to deal with.
>>
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, if you're dissatisfied see 7
4. No, see 7
5. No, only some occasional backpedaling
6. No
7. No, a lot of people think it's serious business
8. lel
>>
>>414365
Things went according to plan quite well.

Parts that went awry are subject expansion (sup /sp/) and drama/warring (which is often the result of subject expansion into politics). However, /pol/ did a pretty good job of leaning to the comedy side, and it's certainly not inactive, so it's relatively in line with the original goals most of the time. The worst political fallout came from /b/ and /v/ instead. Raiding was a disaster as moot predicted.

"Diverse" in 2003 didn't have the same politically correct baggage as today. He specifically mentioned wars with other websites and allowing Japanese posters, so this really means "don't be a closed circlejerk like old forums used to be." That mission was accomplished.

Don't post stupid stuff continues to be an issue mainly due to subject expansion, since it's so subjective. /sp/ is the poster board for disagreement over what's stupid, what's intended discussion, and how to balance them. Different groups within the site have incompatible posting standards drifting towards extremes of serious business and shitposting.
>>
It was a success on the strategic level, but a failure on the tactical level.
>>
>>414415
Yeah it's one of the worst sites on the internet but it's largely due to bad modding staff and an asshole userbase. But I can't expect much from a place made from former SA users (SA is shit.)
>>
>>414806
Not even 1% of 4chan is left over from the original SA exodus.
>>
>>414813
To be fair, SA is a joke now. They're a shadow of what they used to be and their user base is declining every single year
>>
>>414365
1&2. He failed hilariously at the six others.
>>
>>414815
SA always kind of sucked I think. Who the hell would actually pay money just to use a forum? I honestly never browsed it much myself but I would assume it was an echo chamber.
>>
>>414365
6 and 7 are sad to read.
>>
File: serious.jpg (40KB, 246x300px) Image search: [Google]
serious.jpg
40KB, 246x300px
>>414365
I think the part about not taking part in intelligent discussion was a joke. I know fuck all about world2ch, but I know that the way people post on 2chan and on here are much different.
2chan has no concept of "greentexting" for one.

I dont think there's ever been a flame war between the sites. But people have cross-posted on both sites several times.
/o/ and /g/ have done so.

It says "inactive" sports or political forums.
Those turned out to be very active.

You also need to remember the context of this post. That was 15 years ago. The Internet was a lot different back then.
There was no social media.
There was no content monitization.
There were no content aggregators like Reddit or imgur. (the only early 2000s examples I can think of are killsometime and ebaums, and those were nothing like Reddit, and ebaums got shit on hard for stealing content)
Your average Internet user scoffed at the idea of posting their real name online, let alone what people post now.

The worst thing you had to worry about was a forum war, because people had an actual appreciation and loyalty to the sites they used and moot didnt want people to think he was trying to take over the concept of imageboards.
But really he didnt have to worry about that sort of thing too much BECAUSE people actually cared about the sites they used. Forum wars were a thing, but usually only happened when a well-known user got fucked with by another community.
People didnt often create websites solely as a gigantic "fuck you" to another website. They actually had something they wanted to post about.

moot must have seen the future or some shit. That message would fit right in now. People are so full of ulterior motives and malicious intent now.
"how many upvotes will this get me"
"maybe we can bring those 4chan bastards down"
"I dont like that opinion. HIDE IT"

I hope Hiro actually did talk with moot a lot and read his posts and understands that this isnt purely a business venture.
>>
>>414815
To be fair, 4chan is SA now.
>>
>>414365
>Hiroyuki, the creator of 2chan
autism
>>
>>415098
>There was no social media.
Myspace predates 4chan.
Xanga predates 4chan by half a decade.
>>
>>414750
1) it's "moot", not m00tles you retard
2) moot left because of the fappening, not because of the cuck meme. You would know if you were here for the livestream, which you weren't because it's obvious how fucking new you are
>>
>Diversity.
>>
>>414415
But /sp/ and /pol/ aren't ''inactive'', and are both ironically in the top 6 boards on 4chan regarding user traffic
>>
>>415112
>Myspace predates 4chan.

Myspace was more like Tumblr is now than Facebook.
I wouldnt count old Myspace as "social media."
It wasnt everywhere.
>>
"This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions CONCERNING FOREIGN AFFAIRS"

Please, stop leaving out this part of the sentence. By doing so you're changing its meaning.
>>
>>415299
I was just about to say this.

My answer to the updated, correct sentence is that he has succeeded.
There is absolutely no intelligent discussion on any boards concerned with foreign affairs.
>>
>>415115
>moot left because of the fappening
>it's obvious how fucking new you are
lol
you know you're on /qa/, right? you should know this kind of shit
moot left because of threats from Cracked and a hacker group regarding matters related to GG.
It's essentially irrefutable. He says in ____ that he'll have to either restructure 4chan entirely or sell 4chan because of it. Guess which one he did?
>>
>>416089
I can't honestly tell if this post is ironic or not.
>>
>>415115
>>416089
There are multiple reasons for his departure. After the failure of Canvas, he pretty much left social media to live his life instead of sitting behind a computer all day. Later that year, ebolachan, the tumblr invasions, gamergate, and the fappening happened, and Ben Garrison threatened to sue him because a few /pol/acks modified his cartoons to make him look antisemitic. I guess he just grew out of 4chan and he didn't want to be held responsible anymore for the actions of the userbase, especially because everyone hated him.

theverge.com/2015/9/22/9374643/christopher-m00t-poole-interview-4chan
>>
>>416109
>because everyone hated him
Never understood this.
It was his website, his own personal property. How does one go over to someone's house, take a dump on the coffee table and then act indignant when the owner says to stop. Not saying moot was perfect by any means, but regardless it was his own site and most people still pay nothing to use it.
>>
>>416115
Because retards like to yell, and in a place like this where bans mean nothing, retards are impossible to get rid of.
>>
>>416115
If you run a convention hall, and decide that you're going to shit in the middle of the floor and only admit people who wear green ties, nobody will pay to come to your convention hall.

Likewise, if moot runs his site like a retard, people will stop using it, and the money will dry up. User traffic is what drives websites. Look at SomethingAwful. Lowtax can barely afford to keep the servers up because they chased everyone away.
>>
File: 429162148.jpg (41KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
429162148.jpg
41KB, 720x439px
1. No.
2. Yes.
3. This largely depends on the board. Overall I would say no.
4. I laughed.
5. I'm not sure how to answer this, given the constant fluctuation of the site.
6. I laughed even harder.
7. That negates every other rule then, doesn't it.
8. Okay.
>>
>>414365
>"This will be largely image and comedy based, we have no intention of partaking in intelligent discussions"
Holy shit serious discussion loving t/a/rds BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>416175
4chan could easily lose 20 million users tho.

Less server costs.
>>
Reminder that 2chan =/= 2ch!
Hiro made 2ch, not 2chan!
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.