[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't raids allowed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: moe.jpg (10KB, 222x200px) Image search: [Google]
moe.jpg
10KB, 222x200px
I was wondering why raids on other sites aren't allowed? It's fun and was a key part of 4chan culture. Now I don't condone raiding between 4chan boards, that's uncivilized. But don't you think it would be fun to raid 8gag? Or reddit? Both those sites are full of uptight cunts and redditors, they could do with some cultural enrichment. And it would bring the boards of 4chan together. It's a nice enjoyable bonding activity.

So Hiro, I ask you, please allow raids again.

NOTE TO MODS: I AM NOT SUGGESTING WE RAID, I AM MERELY ASKING WHY WE CANNOT AND PROVIDING ARGUMENTS FOR THE PRO-RAID POSITION
>>
>>404103
If you only knew how many DDoSs 4chan has endured just because someone somewhere thought 4chan was raiding them when we weren't.
>>
Raids were never aloud. Raids just happened. Back in the day threads happened on /b/ and were closed slowly due to to few mods. When moot shut it down people moved to irc to conduct raids and posted the winwar back on /b/. Raids were and never will be allowed, back then the only difference is no one really cared.

Also raids still happened it's just you have to look for them. Currently there are raids launched from /pol/, /v/, /x/, and /ck/. Look
>>
>>404105
Doesn't 4chan have CloudFlare or some DDoS protection now?
>>
>>404103
I think raiding individuals should still be banned, like a specific tumblr blog or something. But yeah raiding other sites is just fun
>>
>>404105
Didn't /b/ get 9gag to ddos themselves at one point? I think they gave them a script telling them it would ddos 4chan but they actually ddosed themselves

IIRC 9gag then ddosd 4chan for real but, still funny

>>404113
>x
Who the fuck is /x/ raiding?
>>
>>404124
Yeah raiding individuals is retarded and just ape behaviour. But raiding sites is fighting a war. A war of fun and memes. Should be allowed.
>>
>>404126
Art bell and two or three YouTube channels
>>
>>404103
Because this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lC4hYaoJJA

All the websites who did have an invasion board got shut down.
>>
>I was wondering why raids on other sites aren't allowed?
because then they raid us. do you want even more of those faggots to come here?
>>
>>404148
Hmm that is true but 4chan is much larger, and the thing about 8gaggers is that it's so easy to spot them. 8gag is 1000x smaller and raids on 8gag could destroy it or meme it up enough to be useless. Our shitposting experts at /mu/, /tv/, /v/, /int/ and /s4s/ would be more than happy to put it out of it's misery. Maybe /v/ not so much though.
>>
File: SCR_20070711_39160.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SCR_20070711_39160.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>404147
OP is not asking for an invasion board. Sorry for the comparision, but 8gag allows raids and is still up.

>>404148
This may sound totally cringe and newfaggotry nowadays, I know it, but R1&2 exist for this purporse. 4chan could still be a secret club if faggots like pic related respected R1&2.
>>
>>404155
Only because invasions never really took off on 8gag. I don't think the mods or Hiro would ever actually allow raids on /b/ either, even though they sometimes turn a blind eye on them.

8ch's baphomet is pretty good but it's slower than /qa/.
>>
File: Quality Argentine post.png (41KB, 1240x204px) Image search: [Google]
Quality Argentine post.png
41KB, 1240x204px
taringa (spic 9gag+reddit) successfully raided /b/ a few months ago and managed to get all of Argentina range banned for a few days

And now there are more underage Argies on /int/ who can't speak English than before

Basically all raids do is bring undesirables to the site
>>
>>404159
Yeah but /b/ is famous. To this day people still spout the "asshole/cesspool of the internet" and "pissing in an ocean of piss" memes. We can't really do anything about that. But I think it could be nice if the whole site could work together for some good ol' raids.
>>
Because it's a legitimate legal liability. Another site, especially of a major company, who thinks 4chan is behind a raid can sue Hiro personally and 4chan itself (whatever the business entity is called). Does that mean they'll win? No, but Hiro would still need to hire legal counsel to defend himself and the site. This is not cheap, especially if the company suing has deep pockets and can tie things up in court for years.

It happens all the time. A wealthy individual or company who can afford to spend hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in legal fees can bully someone who can't afford it even if that person would probably win in court. They'll typically settle out of court because it's cheaper than fighting it out. My mother, who is a trial lawyer, has been involved in multiple civil trials that have lasted 3-6 weeks excluding appeals. Now imagine the bill for a team of lawyers charging $300-$700 an hour for 6 weeks. That doesn't even include discovery and all the prep time.

Even if 4chan could afford to defend itself from every possible claim, the host/domain could be dragged into the lawsuits. They don't want to be involved and incur their own expenses and could easily ditch 4chan which could suffer the same fate as anontalk.
>>
>>404161
The problem is they don't stick to /b/

The Argies who can barely speak English, if at all, have spent their time shitting up /int/
>>
>>404162
Funny fact, have you ever realized that 4chan has never been sued? Even Hal Turner, that threatened to sue us in 2007, didn't do it. Even fucking Fox didn't sue us. That's why comments are owned by the poster.
>They don't want to be involved and incur their own expenses and could easily ditch 4chan
Well, racism is allowed and we're still up.

I really hope Hiro removes this dumb rule. I moot only prohibited raids because he didn't like them.

>>404159
I don't understand your point. Other site raided us, and? No one can prevent this.
>>
>>404167
The point is that whenever 4chan gets involved with another site it attracts undesirables
>>
>>404169
As I said, >>404155
>>
>>404171
I don't see which part of that is relevant to my post
>>
>>404173
They don't need to know what site is raiding them.
>>
with raids being forbidden, all comments being owned by the poster, the anonymity of users, and the difficulty of proving who was involved in a raid have all protected 4chan and its owner(s) from legal troubles involving raids. allowing and even encouraging raids would bring all kinds of legal troubles to hiro.
>>
>>404174
That would be an ideal situation and if it were possible then there would be no issue, but unfortunately there is no way the kids on /b/ will be able to keep there mouth shut
>>
>>404175
There are pages on YTMND and threads on SA about raids still up and nothing never happened to these sites. If you still insist that 4chan would get in trouble, then don't remove the rule, just don't enforce it. Racism is against the rule but it's not enforced.
>>
>>404162
I'm not suggesting we raid a big company, but raiding reddit, 8gag, perhaps small forums would not result in any legal action. Reddit's own users raid other subs constantly, 8gag has had internal site raids too.
>>
>>404103
do your parents know what you're up to
>>
>>404181
They'd approve of it if anything. The people we would raid deserve it.
>>
>>404103
Literally illegal.
>>
>>404205
How is it illegal?
>>
>>404206
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan#Internet_attacks

For every time 4chan does something like a cherry picked survivorship biased Habbo Hotel raid or Stickam raid, 4chan hacks an email of a politician or DDoSs a Neo Nazi. The second two are illegal. The first two are quasi-legal-but-a-clever-lawyer-will-get-you-vanned. Both comprise raids so raids are illegal.
>>
>>404212
>quasi-legal-but-a-clever-lawyer-will-get-you-vanned
Literally nobody has even been v& for raiding. Clever lawyers are generally old people, and old people don't know shit about the Internet. If you don't believe me, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfJ1tTGjyS0
>>
>>404227
>Literally nobody has even been v& for raiding

Sites that are known for raiding or harassment, especially if they're also known as a place for cp, get shut down. If you're one of hundreds of idiots ordering pizzas for scientology its one thing, if you're just one site you get a lot more attention
>>
>>404227
My definition of Raid was very broad and people have been vanned for DDoSing before.
>>
>>404227
I would provide you with proof but it would make you believe your wrong opinion more because of the backfire effect.

Nobody listen to this idiot. He's wrong.
>>
>>404248
DDoS is a crime. Swatting is a crime. Cyberstalking is a crime. You'll get v& if they sue you.

>>404244
What?

>>404249
DDoS is a crime. Swatting is a crime. Cyberstalking is a crime. Spamming a site with "LAWL PENIS 8====D" isn't.
>>
Raids are fun for a while but the after effect is a bitch and is what turned 4chan into what it is today.
>>
>>404178
>Racism is against the rule but it's not enforced
kek
>>
>>404155
Dubs check em
>>
>>404113
Who is /ck/ raiding?
>>
>>404167
Just because no lawsuit was filed doesn't mean anything. The site has nearly been bankrupted multiple times due to raid shit. I think moot even had to testify when that /b/tard leaked sarah palin's email.
>>
I sincerely doubt you're over 18 if you still unironically think raids are funny.
Pranks like /g/'s iPhone wave are funny, raids are for faggots.
>>
>>405472
t. very mature gentleman redditor

i tip my hat to you good sir
>>
>>404159
>successfully

We had no clue what was going on and moved on from there, it was 8 spic-speak threads nobody replied to. died in an hour.
>>
>>405510
All I remember is that it got Argentina range banned

to be fair I don't browse /b/ so this is mostly info from /int/
>>
>>405472
>If you like something I don't like you are obviously underage!!1111!!!!11
>>
>>405474
>>405527

Please tell me what's so funny about your ebin raids, what was the last raid you participated in?
>>
>>406501
What's so funny about hoaxes? Exactly, the reactions.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.