[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TRAWLAN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1393395263324.jpg (52KB, 436x432px) Image search: [Google]
1393395263324.jpg
52KB, 436x432px
Why do we still call it "trolling" today when the most common types actually bear no resemblance to what it used to mean and no resemblance to where the term actually came from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)
It's literally a fishing method to make your bait look natural and blend in (funny how today you hear "concern trolling" but that's just fucking trolling, that's how it's supposed to be done)

What we typically call "trolling" today which is mostly just centered around getting as many (You)'s as possible or derailing a thread is mostly just general baiting or more like fishing with dynamite or "trawling"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawling

I propose we go back to the original usage where trolling means blending in to bait interesting reactions.
The other types of """"trolling"""" should just be referred to as baiting or if you're up for a new term I'd recommend "trawling"
>>
I feel no need to update what I call them. The goal is the same: disruption of communication.
>>
>>1561753
It's an acquired taste
>>
and then there's the people who just call everything "shilling"
>>
Probably the same reason that people use the word meme to refer to image macros these days, language is fluid and generally adheres to the most widely accepted usage of terms.
>>
>>1562741
People use "meme" to refer to anything and everything. People can be memes. Ideas and opinions are memes. It's utterly baffling.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.