[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is outside the universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1492969216018.gif (404KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
1492969216018.gif
404KB, 500x410px
The universe is constantly expanding like a ball of dough, but what is it expanding into?

Something must exist outside the physical universe, and it must have been able to create the physical universe by some action.

That's literally proof of God using only logic and no faith whatsoever.
>>
It's turtles all the way down.
>>
File: 0726a_monsterwater.jpg (74KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
0726a_monsterwater.jpg
74KB, 600x450px
If that's the case then what made God/the thing that created what we know as the physical universe? By human logic, everything comes from something else. It's just a constant loop of creators that ends with us, or maybe it doesn't.
>>
Cuck cuck shadily
>>
>>1552935
>then what made God

God is infinite, human brain can't understand.

Jews 3000 years ago knew this.
>>
>>1552913
Why yes, if there's something outside of observable universe then it must be the abrahamic concept of a god, really impeccable reasoning you've got there. Provided you're not just trolling, why don't you just go "it's god, I ain't gotta explain shit" like the orthodox do if you really want to believe in a deity that badly.
>>
>>1552913
>The universe is constantly expanding like a ball of dough, but what is it expanding into?
One of:
- The universe is infinite and isn't expanding into anything. Imagine a real number line; if you move 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 3 to 6, and so on, you don't have to create any new numbers. Infinity is like that.
- The universe wraps around and though increasing in size, it isn't expanding into anything. Only the distance at which you wrap around is changing.
- The part of the universe expanding, though very large, eventually has some limit. But it would be fallacious to conclude that our part is expanding into the other part rather than vice versa or neither, because that assumes Euclidean geometry. We know understand that geometry is dynamic. General relativity explains gravity in terms of "spacetime curvature" between attracting objects altering the distance between them.
>>
>>1552944
Of course we can't understand. What I'm getting at is that human logic is false to a certain degree.
>>
>>1552944
>infinite, human brain can't understand.
This is a cop-out. We have plenty of mathematical models of infinite things which we understand in great detail. We shouldn't expect complete understanding of the infinite especially given Gödel's work, but that doesn't mean we can't understand a lot of it, or that we should treat the parts we can comprehend as immune from logic.
>>
>>1552913
There is nothing outside of it. Space and time themselves are not "nothing", they are something.

Imagine 2 baseballs that existed within nothingness, there would be absolutely no way to make them collide with each other as they have no spatial relationship whatsoever.
Our universe is not expanding "into" anything it's just expanding.
>>
>>1552984
>It has to be expanding into something
No, it doesn't, and you were literally just told why.
>>
>>1552975
>>1552954
>>1552985
That's "like a ball of dough", you pedantic pretentious fucks.

I knew some moron would come in here and assume that I was misunderstanding metric expansion of space.

The universe is expanding like a ball of dough. That is a common model used in college level courses to exemplify expansion of the universe.

What's outside the ball of dough?

It has to be expanding into something, even if it's "nothing" and you can't comprehend "nothing".

You fucking morons.
>>
>>1552986
>What's outside the ball of dough?
The air in the oven, although I fail to see how that is relevant to anything unless you somehow believe every analogy has to be an exact one.
>>
>>1552990
Are you so dumb you can't understand a simple metaphor?

I understand how metric expansion of space works.

The universe is expanding into something, even if the universe is like a balloon that keeps getting larger.
>>
>>1552994
>I understand how metric expansion of space works.
Clearly not, since you keep saying
>The universe is expanding into something
which is not necessarily the case.
>>
It's like somebody asking where the energy comes from to keep the magnet attached to the refrigerator, but when somebody answers him, he keeps saying he understands work, then repeating the question. >>1552213 related?
>>
>>1552995
>which is not necessarily the case.

There is no other logical answer, even if you think it's "nothing", which can't even be understood by the human mind, then it's still something.
>>
>>1552997
>There is no other logical answer
You were given two other possible answers:
> The universe is infinite and isn't expanding into anything. Imagine a real number line; if you move 1 to 2, 2 to 4, 3 to 6, and so on, you don't have to create any new numbers. Infinity is like that.
> The universe wraps around and though increasing in size, it isn't expanding into anything. Only the distance at which you wrap around is changing.
>>
>what it is expanding into
Why would it need to be expanding into anything?

>something must exist outside the physical universe
What does that mean and what's the justification for that?

>it must have been able to create the physical universe by some action
Again, what's the justification for such assumption.

>that's literally proof of God
What does god actually mean, since almost every single person seems to have pretty different percept of the concept.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.