[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Streamlined experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1435553346575.png (1MB, 746x718px) Image search: [Google]
1435553346575.png
1MB, 746x718px
When it comes to how "streamlined" using 4chan is versus the effects on community I believe there is a dip in the middle of that graph that we're currently stuck in.

When 4chan was more non-user-friendly it tended to slow things down (no watcher, no (You)'s, no auto-updates, no alerts) You'd basically have to just remember everything you wanted to monitor or keep a tab open, and refresh each thread yourself manually

It worked for the time, but now that we DO have a bunch of streamlined features I can't help but think the combination just brings out the worst of both worlds. Despite being very user friendly now it still has those tendencies of needing you to keep a bunch of tabs open and constantly manually monitoring everything. The combination shifts 4chan toward the "chatroom" paradigm more than ever.

But we don't have to go back to the old 4chan functionality we could also go forward. Adding a few more comforts could actually have the effect of moving away from the chatroom feel.

What we might want to consider is shooting for the goal where typical users only have to keep 1 or 2 tabs open to monitor everything. Maybe a single page that gives a list of all new threads made since you last checked on all the boards you want to monitor at once, and maybe a list of all posts made in threads you're watching.
When you only have 1 page to check for updates instead of having 20 tabs open you might find you can monitor everything just as effectively but also have time to take a break from 4chan every now and then and go do something else. I don't think this will make people post on 4chan more it would actually probably have the exact opposite effect. Hell, some people might even close their browsers sometimes. This could slow things down a bit and make conversations more interesting because people will actually have things and hobbies to talk about other than just 4chan BEING their hobby, and also alleviate a lot of pointless bickering and baiting.
>>
>>1552045
>Maybe a single page that gives a list of all new threads made since you last checked on all the boards you want to monitor at once, and maybe a list of all posts made in threads you're watching.
>When you only have 1 page to check for updates instead of having 20 tabs open you might find you can monitor everything just as effectively but also have time to take a break from 4chan every now and then and go do something else.
That's an interesting idea. I've never thought about this before, so I have no strong opinion of it.
>>
I don't use it, but I think CatChan has some of what you want:
https://github.com/DogMan8/CatChan
>>
Also 4taba has this.
>>
>>1552045
tldr lol
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.