[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can be done against ban evasion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: Question-mark-clip-art-at-vector.jpg (114KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Question-mark-clip-art-at-vector.jpg
114KB, 768x1024px
What can be done against ban evasion?
>>
>>1548802
How about not being aloed to post without 4chan cookies older than a couple days? How could it be made so they couldn't be spoofed?
>>
We fix world society.
>>
>>1548822
Can't do that. It takes more than 4chan to do that, and if anything, /pol/'s a bad image, despite their claimed intentions, pushes people away. All we can do is push garbage out first.
>>
Every action causes a reaction.
>>
Every new IP that connects to 4chan starts out with a 24 hour ban by default. Only after this period can you first post.
>>
hardware bans
>>
>>1548856
What about the people who actually want and care for good discussion, and not just throwing their turds into a pot because they're bored? What about the people who genuinely care about what they're discussing? Why do good people who try, not matter on 4chan? Why does all of 4chan have to be a place for people who feign interest, and only take dumps on things instead of fairly criticizing them?

>>1548895
A special ban message for IP's accessing for the first time, to avoid confusion, right?

>>1548928
You're saying Comcast might end up being one of the saviors of 4chan?
>>
>>1548937
So many questions...
So little answers...
>>
>>1548953
At least I'm on the right board. Few people report, few janitors and mods can react, and the janitors don't seem to visit threads outside of their interest on their boards. Ban evasion is rampant and relatively easy. And because of all that, people think 4chan is for shitposting and trolling.
The boards that are for containing garbage are actually petri dishes that breached containment and infested the rest of the lab, and are fighting for cultural dominance.
>>
>>1549051
All the annoyances of posting on a phone makes the level of discourse drop like lead weight.
>>
>>1549051
>Spectrum, Charter
Anon, you haven't heard?
>>
File: aloe vera.jpg (215KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
aloe vera.jpg
215KB, 625x415px
>>1548814
>aloed
>>
>>1549193
I didn't even notice the typo until you mentioned it. I'm not feeling well.
>>
File: rari.png (255KB, 1024x1103px) Image search: [Google]
rari.png
255KB, 1024x1103px
>>1548776
Did somebody say ban evasion?
>>
>>1549536
mods btfo wwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>1550236
Do you think goatse is remotely shocking to anyone on this site? Ponies are far more triggering.
>>
delete 4chan
enough is enough
>>
It's okay to report a post if you suspect the poster of ban-evading?
>>
>>1550999
Maybe. The way I see it, t depends on how much you're willing to contest a potential ban on IRC. I don't have very much hope for justice. Simple unwillingness to do what's right impedes at least some of the mods. In a ban evader's case, a mod can't do much anyway. Except delete the thread they shitposted to Lucifer's den.
>>
I never knew janitors couldn't see IPs and have to ask a mod to check a possible ban-evader.
>>
>>1548814
If there was a serious problem, maybe users could be required to have such a cookie from a reply a couple of days ago in order to post a thread. Could also be used to grant exceptions from rangebans.
>>
>>1548928
Only matters if they do it to phone users.
>>
>>1551070
Now my question is: Why SHOULDN'T there be some sort of cookie tracking to enable posting on 4chan? What could go wrong?
>>
>>1551086
Well, to start with, many people browse 4chan in private/incognito mode. They wouldn't be able to do that anymore with this system unless they used a special addon to remember just that cookie.
>>
>>1551105
Any other problems? Things that could be abused to break the website?
>>
>>1551111
Well, it wouldn't stop determined ban evaders because they would just stock up on cookies in advance. It would hurt the guy who just puts his phone in airplane mode, though.
>>
Another idea (targeting phoneposters) would be automatic rangebans whenever you see two bans from nearby IPs.
>>
Also mods could look up the IPs they ban to see if they're proxies.
>>
>>1551126
So it would help cut out the majority who shitpost simply because they're bored, but not the ones who see it as a lifestyle. But then, nothing short of an account system would help get rid of them. I want to know why it hasn't been implemented, because you just know the mods have already discussed this before.
>>
>>1551136
That should be obvious: it also cuts down on the number of non-rulebreaking posters since people would often not have a cookie when they wanted to make a post.

>nothing short of an account system would help get rid of them
Your suggestion is basically equivalent to an account system, without the login page or email requirement. Account systems don't stop dedicated evaders either, but do cut down on the casual ones.
>>
>>1551148
>Account systems don't stop dedicated evaders either, but do cut down on the casual ones
Yeah, I understand that much. But the majority of them are casual shitposters. They shitpost because they're bored and lazy. I really don't think it would damage the number of users too badly, only the number of posts per minute, because they would quickly change their habits if they knew they couldn't evade with a press of a button.
>>
>>1551156
>I really don't think it would damage the number of users too badly
Guy comes back to the board, finds out he can't post. He's not going to wait on his cookie, he's going to go someplace else.
>>
>>1551163
Well, it's not like that system would need to be introduced to all the boards, would it? If they could still post on questionable boards, they might stick around. Also, what if there was a warning a long time before before such a system were put into place? That way people would know what changes are coming. Either way, I'd be willing to trade some of the userbase for a smaller one of higher quality. That way we wouldn't have to deal with so many people who crave attention over discourse.
>>
>>1551163
>He's not going to wait on his cookie, he's going to go someplace else.
Good.
>>
>>1548895
>Every new IP that connects to 4chan starts out with a 24 hour ban by default. Only after this period can you first post.
I like how this stopgaps ban evaders and enforces a 24-hour lurk period to weed out newfags. Unfortunately that means it's too perfect, and some asshat will find a way to game the system almost immediately.
>>
>>1551206
You could try making a board like that, but the problem is that altchans are desperate enough for traffic, they don't need anything slowing them down further.
>>
>>1551211
A trial board would be interesting, but it would need a topic that would attract enough people to be an accurate proof of concept.
>>
>>1551211
While I'd be glad to be wrong, I doubt that anyone shows up on 4chan and immediately makes a beeline for /po/.
>>
>>1549536
>the rarity picture still on the thread
>>
>>1551903
There are worse thing that ponies in the dark places of the world.
>>
>>1551219
Thinking about it more, if it ever is done, they should just make /v/ the trial board.
>>
Nothing.
I've never evaded a ban before, but I could easily just use my phone & switch on my mobile data then start up a new private Firefox or Chrome window to bypass one.
Blanket banning mobile networks doesn't work either, hundreds if not thousands of people use the many mobile data centers, not just one shitposter, so it will end up effecting innocents.
>>
>>1552673
Those innocents can use wifi or buy a pass if they want to phonepost so badly.
Also is /qa/ the only board without bans on mobile isps?
>>
>>1552867
>is /qa/ the only board without bans on mobile isps?
It really feels like it with all the one word and effortless posts. No to mention the spam.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.