[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a foreigner ever be an "otaku"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: togo.jpg (34KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
togo.jpg
34KB, 500x281px
Anime, manga, visual novel, JRPG, etc, is all part of Japanese culture. Otaku culture. I think they can't call themselves otaku because they are not Japanese. Let me elaborate. There is many problems with a foreigner calling himself "otaku". First of all, internet. Western internet is basically attention whoring casual dumbasses on websites of government monitoring (Google Facebook Reddit etc). Even on "otaku" Western internet, the people there are also dumb, and usually virgin fat losers too. They have shitty memes by the way. Casuals. Second problem is comiket. They come to a country they're not welcome, act as if they are welcome, they look stupid in their bad cosplay, and so on. Third problem is their bad taste. They make the industry produce bad things because they consume bad things with their bad taste. For example, look at what happened to Pokemon, Mario, and Nintendo as a whole. And the fourth main problem is they are thefts. They use internet piracy to watch anime, with torrents, and pretend there's nothing wrong with being a theft. It's wrong. There are other problems, like Western otaku are not hygienic instead are stinky, and they try to fit in Japan.

With all being said I don't think a Western person can be considered an otaku. Sure they might watch anime and play games, but I don't think they can ever be an otaku on the same level as a Japanese otaku.

Do you agree?
>>
"Otaku" (and certain other common, related words like "anime" or "hentai") has a different meaning in the West. Which meaning are you referring to?
>>
>>1514680
Someone who likes anime, manga, visual novel, JRPG, etc.
Now you can re read the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of my origina post.
>>
I agree sort of. Like the first reply pointed out "otaku" has a bit of a different meaning in the west. It would be more appropriate to say that the Western word "otaku" does not translate directly to the Japanese word "otaku". On the part of theft I believe some leeway must be given to Westerners as it's a lot harder to discretely buy or just buy the media in the west as apposed to Japan and on top of that being seen with otaku (Japanese) media in the West has a negative stigma that can be in part circumvented if legally dubious routes are taken to obtain the media.
>>
in japan "otaku" is an insult
>>
Smelly, dumb, virgin leeches on society with bad taste? Sounds like Japanese otaku to me.
>>
>>1514792
In Japan ``otaku'' is a somewhat formal way to refer to someone else.
>>
>>1514671
I think what you mean is they are definitely not 「オタク」.
But whether or not they can be "Otaku" is a gray area.

It's the same thing as 「アニメ」 vs "Anime". They are not the same thing at all. It goes both ways too, Japan borrows english words all the time and uses them in ways that are totally different from the English meaning.

So it seems we borrow Japanese words to imply that the thing we're talking about has a Japanese twist to it.
So just like anime is a "cartoon, but in the Japanese style"
and otaku in english might be a "geek, with a Japanese bend"
>>
File: gun sazawa.jpg (81KB, 590x679px) Image search: [Google]
gun sazawa.jpg
81KB, 590x679px
>>
No, I don't think so.
The West will join poison the word like "nerd" and "geek", anyway.
>>
It's been over 2 hours since the last post but this is still on page 1.

Yeah, this thread was stealth bumped.
>>
>>1516887
funny because before spammers came to this board 2 hours was enough for a thread to be in one of the front pages
the fact that in only 2 hours a thread gets pushed to the end of the catalog really tells you something doesnt it
>>
I thought otaku just means a person who is 'obsessed' with something far enough to let that thing define their life.
I don't know if this dein definition is correct, but if it is lots of western normies are otakus for things like video games and tv shows.
>>
>>1517392
It has hugely negative connotations, although it's lessened somewhat over time.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.