[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anon's 3 step plan to fix 4chan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (95KB, 545x520px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
95KB, 545x520px
I know there is absolutely no chance of this happening, but I'm posting it here anyway because some people like talking about this stuff and you never know if someone else will get an idea for their alt-site.
Many of you will probably disagree but that's ok because you're idiots. This plan is guaranteed to work, guaranteed.
It's difficult to realize just how big 4chan has gotten sometimes and everyone always just wants to blame the negatives on "it's just how the community is, no other reason behind it". But changing the way simple things are done on 4chan could really have large effects on the community and its attitudes, especially for a community growing as cramped as 4chan is today.

So without further ado:
1) Get rid of thread bumping and get rid of all catalog sorting methods other than creation date.
2) Every thread lasts at least 24hrs - Dynamically adjust the maximum page count by looking at the creation date of the last thread (if it's younger than 24hrs then it can be pushed out to page 11, 12, etc.. until it's 24hrs old then start pruning)
3) "Sub-threads". No I'm not talking about nested posting display. In the main thread no sub-posts are shown, but any post containing sub-posts would have a link to its sub-thread. And make it a Global Rule that off-topic posts which receive sub-replies must continue the conversation in their sub-thread, trying to continue in the main thread may result in a ban. This would massively reduce runaway shitposting and troll feeding.

These are the changes necessary to allow 4chan to properly transition into the large community it is today but without feeling like a chatroom, or allowing all the tribal internet wars and activism campaigns to dominate things.
Thank you for reading.
>>
The sorting orders and pruning methods are definitely the place to start. The problem is that you can't just start an alt-chan to experiment with these sort of ideas because they don't apply until you have a lot of traffic.
>>
By the way, it's common for other imageboards to have much more than 10 pages.
>>
File: Did I just.jpg (44KB, 263x207px) Image search: [Google]
Did I just.jpg
44KB, 263x207px
>>1511268
No, just no.

Everything here is a bad idea.
>>
Related to but different from OP's concept, maybe a board could let mods/janitors modify the bump order of quality threads slightly. That is, they could set good threads to go down the catalog at 1/2 normal speed or 1/4 normal speed. It might also improve their attitude toward the users if their work involved seeking out good threads instead of bad.
>>
>>1511511
That's actually not a bad idea, but I think with our current mods it might be a bad idea.

We would need mods with a much MUCH stronger concept of what makes the internet fun
and who are immune to that teenager mentality of jumping on the bandwagon or trying to fight/dictate the culture they personally want
>>
>>1511597
You're arguing for and against the exact same thing
>>
get rid of board wide post numbers and stat each thread at #1

no idea what you mean by #3
>>
>>1512458
I always liked that system better since it makes the numbers more intuitive and you can call the OP 1-san. I don't know if it would really have that big of an effect though other than how "gets" are done.

#3 is saying that any post inside a thread could be made into a sub-thread itself.
Just imagine, someone throws out some obvious inflammatory bait, but instead of seeing 50 inane posts arguing back and forth feeding trolls you'd just see a link next to that post saying something like "[reply in sub-thread (50 posts)]"
and that's it. The main thread could then get back to whatever it was doing before.

I think it would work because everyone who wants the troll gone but still feels obligated to reply/fight him would do it in the sub-threads and if the troll himself tries to keep baiting in the main thread it would just come off as spam since nobody is engaging him there.
>>
>>1512753
>I don't know if it would really have that big of an effect though other than how "gets" are done.
One nice thing about it is that it simplifies inter-board thread moving. Another is that the thread numbers aren't as large, so if you're typing the URL to a thread, there isn't as much to type/remember. A downside is that links to replies become longer.
>>
>>1512779
Well I know the benefits I use some imageboards and textboards that have that system.

But this thread is more about changing attitudes and fixing the whiney bait-taking internet-war newfag feel of 4chan.
I just don't know if changing the numbering system would effect attitudes or behaviors that much, even if I think it would be a really great improvement for other reasons.
>>
it might curb this shit https://getwatcher.net/
>>
>3) "Sub-threads".
This is a concept straight taken from Reddit, don't fall for it.
>>
>>1513495
No more so than using ">" for quoting.
>>
>>1513491
You could still do that for threads, though. So everyone would be creating threads to get the GET.
>>
>So everyone would be creating threads to get the GET
threads either have a random number assigned to them or use the unix timestamp under that system
>>
>>1513495
First of all, that is not a reddit original concept, but the fact that you think that tells us a lot about what sites you use.

Second of all that feature is already built into the 4chan extension, even though it's fucking retarded you can actually have post chains of replies show up nested

and finally, the idea in the OP is nothing like those nested posting methods at all.
The sub-posts would not appear in the main thread at all. You'd have to actually enter the sub-thread itself to view the discussion and any further discussion inside it is LINEAR, not nested.
>>
>>1513704
>>1513704
>The sub-posts would not appear in the main thread at all. You'd have to actually enter the sub-thread itself to view the discussion and any further discussion inside it is LINEAR, not nested.
Yeah, just like Reddit.
>>
I wouldn't care that it's like reddit, but the sub-board thing would make threads really confusing to look at and would be pretty stupid.
>>
>>1513833
Well I guess you'd probably know better than me.

>>1514241
You're right that it might be confusing, but just to be clear "to look at" would be about the same as it is now. Nothing would really change about how posts are currently displayed, there would just be an additional link on some posts where run away off-topic discussion is happening.
>>
>>1511268
>>
>>1511268
Wrong. Get the fuck out out of here.
>>
reddit.com might be for you
>>
>>1516475
Oh look, it's bot-jp.
>>
I'll do you better with a 1 step plan to fix 4chan:

1. Delete and ban all frogshit and feelshit.
>>
File: 18235369417.jpg (15KB, 379x195px) Image search: [Google]
18235369417.jpg
15KB, 379x195px
>>1516506
Frogs have been here longer than you have. Why do you hate this site so much?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.