[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online community size and platforms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1489502545468.jpg (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1489502545468.jpg
92KB, 1000x1000px
At what size are online communities best suited for different platforms? Earlier today I was on another imageboard that actually listed how many unique IPs have posted in the past 3 days on different boards and noticed that the extremely slow boards there had posts from less than 50 unique IPs in the past 3 days. Since then I started wondering if other mostly dead imageboards and text boards out there had a similarly low number of posters, and if different platforms, such as chat rooms of some sort (especially on the boards where few pictures get posted), would be more suited to such a small user base.
>>
>>1476218
If you have a good mod team I'd say the sky is the limit, and once you get to a massive amount then the community self maintains itself.
>>
>>1476240
You shouldn't del contributing posts...
>>
>>1476240
>I have seen entire websites hold off with a smaller userbase and less posts per week than that just fine.
Are they really holding off at that point, or are those sites only surviving because the posters don't want to give up on something they used to enjoy when the post rate was higher? After spending quite a bit of time on extremely slow sites with 1 post per hour per board or less, I found that anything I could get from those boards I could also get significantly faster through either larger, lower quality sites or by simply researching whatever topic the discussion happened to be about. The only thing those small sites could possibly be good for is generating new content or information that can't easily be found elsewhere, but I really didn't see that happen.

>I'm assuming you're an admin/userbase of course
Just someone trying to find a place to stay now that this site has gone to shit and the other smaller boards I went to after this site went to shit saw post rates per board drop to 10 posts per day or went to shit as well.
>>
>>1476259
I don't understand what you're saying. The people are what make an imageboard good, not the information or content.
What I think you need to do is to use a handful of imageboards like I do. Alone they're slow, but together it's pretty decent. Still, I wish people would get together and create another 4chan instead of hundreds of smaller niche ones. An overboard has been talked about, but that's just a bandage and I'm not sure if it would actually increase any activity.
>>
>>1476270
>An overboard has been talked about
An overboard would likely be a bad thing, unless it required the user to do the work to set it up themselves on their own computer. Otherwise shitposters would have a one stop shop for shitting up tons of sites at the same time.
>>
>>1476218
>>
Websites need registration or high moderation to work properly
>>
>>1476218
What would be gained from knowing this knowledge though?
Even if I tell you the perfect number of users a website should have, it doesn't change the fact that the users have to be good contributors in the first place.
>>
>>1478280
>Even if I tell you the perfect number of users a website should have
It could help with building new communities and solve the problem of groups splintering so many times that they die.
>>
File: 1485314608963.jpg (242KB, 640x973px) Image search: [Google]
1485314608963.jpg
242KB, 640x973px
>>1477345
>>
>>1479319
What is the...
>>
I want this thread to go further, but I'm not sure what direction to take it.
>>
>>1480330
You know.
>>
>>1476218
>>
>>1480779
With /qa/ the sky is the limit! What's your ideal community size? I think /qa/'s is perfect.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.