[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me 1 reason why generals aren't cancer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

Give me 1 reason why generals aren't cancer.
>>
Cancer takes a while to kill you, generals kill a board the moment they appear.
>>
File: THONKING.png (6KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
THONKING.png
6KB, 112x112px
>>1467240
>>
File: 1473858257233.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473858257233.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
I thought you guys said discords were going to kill generals
why they still here on site?
youu liers!
>>
No 10 threads on the same shit clogging up the board. It keeps the discussion in one thread.
>>
>>1467280
Never worked for /v/
>>
>>1467259

It wouldn't shock me if the discord trend was a viral marketing campaign.

It really wouldn't.
>>
File: 1444264971134.png (243KB, 418x663px) Image search: [Google]
1444264971134.png
243KB, 418x663px
>>1467282
>having expectations for /v/
>>
>>1467280
I think that's how the boards are supposed to work. You should try to discuss board-wide specific topics and when the discussion ends you move into another one that's relevant at the moment. Making same exact threads with same exact topic just encourages and devolves into posting the same few sentences and images over and over with occasional actual discussion when someone or something new comes along. More interesting and popular things will have more threads, which should be especially beneficial with the implementation of catalog, but it seems like it actually had the opposite effect of people sticking to their own threads instead of expanding their own areas.
>>
because a lot of people use and enjoy them, and actual discussion happens in them

4chan has had general type threads since at least late 2004, it's just they weren't called generals

When you think about it, a general is just a recurring thread with a subject
>>
>>1467280
>10 threads on the same shit clogging up the board
That's perfectly normal for the site you dumb cunt. These are boards, not subreddits.
>>
generals have been around forever and will be around forever. they've had generals on 2ch in 1999 so why would it be any different here
>>
>>1467280
>No 10 threads on the same shit clogging up the board. It keeps the discussion in one thread.
see>>1467301
>I think that's how the boards are supposed to work.

all the topics need to be next to each other and interbreed

thats how we create board culture, memes, and everyone has a good time

insularity breeds cancer
>>
>>1467301
>Making same exact threads with same exact topic just encourages and devolves into posting the same few sentences and images over and over with occasional actual discussion when someone or something new comes along.
this is why the attack on titan generals on /a/ suck cock

its the same bots just reposting the same fucking shit every time

when there is no new content the general should be purged
>>
>>1467237
They contain shitposting.
>>
>>1467318
2ch is a textboard dunce
>>
>>1467237
I tried to play devil's advocate.

The best I could come up with is that if there's some identifiable jackass that posts in threads regarding a topic, if there's a general for that topic I know I will see him there, and this certainty of doom is far nicer to me than the poisonous hope he wouldn't have infested a thread.
>>
>Before:
KEEP IT IN ONE THREAD FAGGOTS!
>Now:
Generals are cancer.

The root of the problem is too many users and not enough board space. Not much can be done about that.
>>
>they've had generals on 2ch in 1999 so why would it be any different here
just because it was modeled after futaba does not mean 4chan would necessarily emulate every behavior from there to a wide extent
>>
>>1467237
Mind defining cancer before I give you a reason?
>>
>>1468437
2ch != Futaba, newfag.
>>
>>1467237
Because on some boards they might exist out of necessity.
Some topics wouldn't last more than 30min if the entire population interested in that topic didn't group up to keep threads alive.

>inb4 if it can't stay alive on its own then it shouldn't be allowed to survive
On some boards even popular threads can die in the blink of an eye on occasional breaks in conversation.

Basically my point is sometimes generals are just a natural development caused by 4chan being too fast.
I'm willing to bet actually that >50% of "general users" don't even know they're posting in generals. Take /a/ for example. They just naturally form these general threads because the alternative would actually be much more difficult to maintain. Who wants to post in 5 threads about an anime they're watching these season and come back 10min later to find those 5 threads dead and go hunting for 5 more threads to pointlessly post in.

If you don't like generals you should spend more effort thinking how 4chan should change to fix the issue rather than trying to fight the natural course of things on fast boards.
>>
>2ch != Futaba, newfag.
yeah but 4chan was molded after futaba, not 2ch since 2ch is a textboard.
>>
>>1468101
>>Before:
>KEEP IT IN ONE THREAD FAGGOTS!
Only a few stupid faggots who don't get the site said that.
>>
>>1468743
moot said that

it's one of the worst things he ever said
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.