[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the catalog seem broken on some boards?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 1461708635613.jpg (27KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1461708635613.jpg
27KB, 500x332px
Why does the catalog seem broken on some boards?
>>
>>1447915
Which boardss?
>>
Catalogs are cancer.
>>
>>1448260
The catalog is what makes 4chan not reddit.

Not anonymity and not 4chanX. If you remove the catalog from 4chan you have created reddit.
>>
>>1448267
what? but the catalog was not even part of 4chan until 2011/2012 (?)
>>
>>1448267
Reddit is just a catalog but instead of putting them next to eachother they are listed from above to the bottom.
On index view the first thing you see is the OP post and the last few replies, from which you can judge if a thread is worth your time, so bait wouldn't be as prevalent as well.
forcing people to type in "noko" if they want to see a thread also prevents the "general" mindset that is around today.
>>
>>1448278
Why aren't you using the 4chan X catalog? Last replies right there on hover.
>>
>>1448275
4chan was reddit up until that point.
Without the catalog you're playing the upvote/downvote game except with a different flavor.

>>1448278
Catalog view puts emphasis on if your image is interesting or not. Because not as many people feel like using the catalog you get situations where every post is a dumb frog or goldface.
Also, you can see the first 5 posts if you use a catalog extension.
>>
>>1448302
I find 4chanx index to be refined enough
>>
>>1448306
Your argument is really bad and I think you're just making statements to provoke further responses so I'm going to stop here.
>>
>>1448311
Then continue to view the first 15 threads that other people find interesting for you.

If you don't use the catalog then other people are deciding what content you should be seeing.
Literally the reddit circlejerk system.
>>
>>1448317
You know you can go back and forth between pages?
>>
>>1448327
No one does.
If someone did a 4chan statistic I'd bet most people do what I do when not on the catalog and go up and down the first page looking for new replies.
>>
>>1448355
>No one does
then they have themselves to blame, they are the kind of people that are shitty posters in the first place anyways.
>>
worth a bump
>>
>>1448317
>If you don't use the catalog then other people are deciding what content you should be seeing.
The content you see is the threads that people reply to. 100% of content you see is determined by other people unless all you do all day is read your own posts.

>Literally the reddit circlejerk system.
It predates reddit by years. You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>1449016
Ipsum used since the leap into electronic type specimen book. It uses a dictions 1.10.33 from sectionary of over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin words, comes from 45 BC. This book. It has been the theory of ethics, very popularised in their exact original form, by injected humour, or randomised word in their infancy. Various versions 1.10.32.
>>
>>1447915
please stop complaining about the quality of the site they do it for free and try their best
>>
File: 1493848067625.jpg (43KB, 242x251px) Image search: [Google]
1493848067625.jpg
43KB, 242x251px
Hey Faggots,
My name is John, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded, no-lifes who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass pictures. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any pussy? I mean, I guess it’s fun making fun of people because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to pictures on facebook.
Don’t be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I’m pretty much perfect. I was captain of the football team, and starter on my basketball team. What sports do you play, other than “jack off to naked drawn Japanese people”? I also get straight A’s, and have a banging hot girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.
Pic Related: It’s me and my bitch
>>
>>1448306
You couldn't be more wrong.

On a fast board the top 15 threads cycle so fucking fast it is hard to see the same one on a few refreshes besides the absolute most popular few. Generals dominating a front page 24/7 is part of why they are such fucking cancer, they literally wreck that mode of browsing because they usually hog up the front page. F5'ing the front page is an extremely fucking different experience where you basically play roulette and are more inclined to click smaller/different threads than before because you can see a few posts inside of each one.

Catalog is objectively more like reddit because you can sort by replies and also just ctrl-f your same fucking faghouse general every single hour every single day and never use the board for anything else. Generals are like subreddits complete with mini-cultures and disconnect from the board itself. Being able to see the whole board at once sounds nice but then pages are functionally useless and there is no more roulette. Catalog should be a mod level privilege and I'm not even fucking joking because there is no reason anyone should need to see every thread on the board all the time apart from plucking out shitty ones from the pool. Instead it lets people cherry pick more and more until a 150-thread spread is functionally 2-4 threads they expect to be there between stuff they don't pay attention to. This problem has fucking destroyed the vitality of many boards such as /g/, /tg/, /mlp/, /sp/, /jp/, /m/, /mu/, /int/ and is becoming a serious issue on /a/ and even /pol/ now. This problem came to a head years ago on /v/ and they rolled out the red carpet for generals instead of just fucking crush them. There were other options such as an option to have the front page be two pages worth etc.

Destroy that fucking catalog, and you will do a good amount of damage to the creeping mold of generals overtaking much of 4chan and devolving communities into loosely clustered subreddit enclaves.
>>
thread is worth a bump I think
>>
>>1451014
*unsubscribe*
>>
>>1451014
Yes, this
>>
>>1451014
In the end, no matter how good of an idea you have to make 4chan better, nothing will ever change. Meta threads have no point but to make you upset over how terrible this website became.
>>
File: image.jpg (461KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
461KB, 1000x900px
>>1451014
They will just use external catalog instead. There is no turning back.
>>
>>1453106
holy fuck get off of this board weeb
>>
>>1447915
>>
>>1447915
>>
>>1448260
Are you really that much of a normalfag you browse front page?
>>
>>1447915
>>
>>1447915
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.