[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come all modern MMOs end up being shitty? I remember how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1498251533589.jpg (81KB, 560x419px) Image search: [Google]
1498251533589.jpg
81KB, 560x419px
How come all modern MMOs end up being shitty? I remember how people hyped TOS to be the spiritual successor to RO but it sucked ass.
>>
>>1430672
Perhaps your expectations are too high
>>
>>1430686
I don't think they are. All I ask for is an open world, player driven experience and all I get is theme park shit where everything is defined by the developers. The only outlier is EVE but looking at spreadsheets all day feels more like working than playing.
>>
>>1430672
They follow the established template, and when they don't they're usually shit anyway for other reasons.
>>
People don't want a real challenge or to face true adversity in the games.
Give this a read, it's written by Raph Koster, who was known as Designer Dragon and as you may have guessed was a prominent designed for Ultima Online and then Star Wars Galaxies.
I played UO in its prime (from ~'98 to '03) and nothing else has compared to it in regards to community and roleplaying. It was a virtual world instead of a farming simulator.
>>
>>1431008
>Give this a read
I guess it'd help if I linked it: https://www.raphkoster.com/games/snippets/a-uo-postmortem-of-sorts/
It was written in 2000, so things have only become far worse.
>>
The best equivalent I can find to traditional, roleplaying MMOs are old Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 servers. I've spent a bit of time on a particular one which had a nice community and was very passionately run and developed by a group of DMs. However, a fair bit of the leveling gameplay was grindy. Part of what draws me to those servers is never having played DND or had anyone to play it with.
>>
>>1430672
People sucked ass. I remember when I was new and was going to make all my equipment myself. Then a couple of guys telling me how come you got shitty gear and you are at such a high level. Really killed my immersion in the game, so went into farming mobs to get and afford better gear. That's when I lost the passion I had because I lost my purpose.

I think its the fact they mention having "main" and knowing this how high level players treat new players drew me away.
>>
>>1430672
WoW killed the MMO genre.
>>
>>1430672
Because RPG's are fundamentally flawed.

But back in the day the developers didn't analyze it as hard. They just made something fun.
Today they overanalyze and try to fix things that don't work, making it even less fun
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.