[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is manga less popular than anime when it's a better medium?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

File: gs1.png (47KB, 190x195px) Image search: [Google]
gs1.png
47KB, 190x195px
Why is manga less popular than anime when it's a better medium?
>>
manga is more popular in japan than anime is, sort of in a way I think (maybe)
>>
File: 1498845354346.png (131KB, 283x286px) Image search: [Google]
1498845354346.png
131KB, 283x286px
>tfw scanlators drop your favorite manga.
I guess I have to learn japanese after all...
>>
>>1430589
this. in japan pretty much everyone reads manga. but watching anime even in japan is considered a nerdy thing.
>>
Not as EOP-friendly. Not only is it dependent on scanlations, most scanlators are simply terrible.
>>
>>1430585
How is it a better medium? Most times it's devoid of color. Expressions are only conveyed in one panel, rendering it incapable of displaying the full range of emotions that the animated version of that scene can. Moreover, there's no catchy music to hook you in at the beginning and make you smile until the end. Manga as a medium is a less impressive, minimalistic alternative to a superior platform that's ultimately more challenging and fun to create for. It's a product that has the fingerprints of one or two artists at best. Anime has the fingerprints of countless artists, from cinematographers to composers to voice actors. And, with the introduction of tablets and smartphones, anime can just as easily (and more efficiently for that matter) be taken on the go. So, this leads us to the question of what manga really has. I guess you're exposed to the events of the series in advance of the people who follow the show, but it's like getting to watch a recording of a movie you were looking forward to that was taken on a phone by some guy in a theater. Yes, you're getting to see it, but something's missing. Perhaps the hand holding the phone is fidgety, maybe the sound quality of the phone itself is poor, maybe the person actually spoke throughout the recording, or it was some combination of the 3. Manga as an experience is the equivalent of what you would expect to receive from watching a second-hand recording. It has a number of limitations that you have to be willing to look past to enjoy. Think about it.
>>
>>1430878
*licks your cheeks*
>>
>>1430878
Please die a painful death.
>>
>>1430913
Stop it, Spot. That tickles.

>>1430917
>This passes for a counter argument on /qa/
>>
>>1430926
WHO QUOTE
>>
>>1430926
You should die thrice for watching anime, posting wall of text and avatarfagging
>>
>>1430926
Nice reddit spacing
>>
>>1430929
In other words, you've got nothing meaningful to add. Could've just said that and been on your way.
>>
He mad
>>
>>1430926
My stomach tickles when I smell your perfumed neck..
>>
File: lolihaetpizza.gif (34KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
lolihaetpizza.gif
34KB, 240x180px
>>1430585
You probably think you're more mature for thinking that way but mature people don't make threads like this, anon.
>>
>>1430878
Not really. Manga works just as fine in conveying what the author wants to present to the readers.
Lacking color, music etc. is not really a problem as you can just use your imagination to fill in. The only things you'd miss are OPs and EDs?
>>
>>1430931
I'll take that as a compliment since it sounds like you're from there and know proper spacing when you see it.
>>1430951
Oh my. You really do like me. I'm flattered. Let's watch a movie sometime.
>>1431423
Okay, so far you've established that manga is a passable medium, but what makes it better than anime? Do you even have a preference? I dunno if you're OP or not.
>>
>>1430585
because anime is for normalfags
>>
>>1431471
Not OP. I usually prefer manga. But I don't really watch anime nowadays. (The last anime I watched was Nichijou? or maybe Naria Girls if you consider it anime)
Maybe it's just me but anime doesn't really impress me anymore. I tried watching some of the recent anime but I couldn't sit for more than 2 episodes. I'm more content with reading episode summaries instead. On the other hand, I can read manga with the pace I want. And once my Japanese improves, I think I can move on to novels and the like, and then perhaps even classic literature.
>>
File: 1474240195642.png (632KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474240195642.png
632KB, 1920x1080px
We need manga board, fuck anime plebs.
>>
>>1430878
Manga can be the vision of a single author while anime is product of a committee.
The additional "feature" of anime you list are in practice simply more aspects of mediocrity in a bankrupt medium.
>>
>>1430878
>>1430926
>>1430932
>>1431471
based avatarfagging anal queen
>>
>>1431498
do you have the original image?
>>
>>1430878
>It's a product that has the fingerprints of one or two artists at best.
This isn't a bad thing. It means the artist has more control over their work, and it is more likely to be fulfilling a ``vision''.

Manga benefits:
- Manga often has scenes/lines/etc that are censored for broadcast. Manga is less prone to censorship than anime.
- Manga is not fixed to a 10-13 episode schedule; story arcs can therefore grow organically with less pressure from meeting a deadline.
- Manga is cheaper to produce, thus it is easier for an artist to have a manga published than to get an anime created. This allows for stories to be created that aren't necessarily as profitable as an anime.
- You can read manga at whatever pace is comfortable (i.e. one chapter isn't set at 23 minutes).
- Often the manga is the only place to get the whole story -- full adaptations are the exception these days.
- The artist's style is different -- character designs are usually changed for anime adaptations, and anime art is rarely as good as the best manga artists.
- Purchasing (raw) manga to support it is a LOT more inexpensive than purchasing anime.

I'd also argue that the lack of color/voices/music engages your brain more and makes reading manga more engrossing on average.
>>
>>1431586
You nailed all the points that I wanted to say.
>>
>>1431586
So it seems that corporate normcism is the problem as always
>>
>>1431621
The problem is cost. Manga is just as subject to ``corporate normcism'' as anime, but since the overall cost is lower, the necessary return is also lower. Doujinshi is an exception, but there aren't too many long-running doujinshi series (that I know of anyway).
>>
>>1430878
>Anime has the fingerprints of countless artists, from cinematographers to composers to voice actors.
This is only a positive element in cases of an abnormally good production with a strong director. In general, a medium which requires fewer people involved will produce superior art, simply because there's less to impede the artistic vision.

Considering the audience for anime is extraordinarily lowbrow and tasteless, it's rare that a quality production is ever put together. Most anime is adaptation, usually of source material specifically chosen for its appeal to either children or spineless, hedonistic otaku.
>>
>>1431496
Fair enough. Good luck on developing a stronger grasp on Japanese.
>>1431503
based bluntposting fetishist king
>>1431500
Wouldn't you say that the product of a committee can be a beautiful thing at times? This is how more ambitious projects are made after all. Like the beloved classics in video games, cinema or even broadway plays to name a few examples. In light of this, I wouldn't say that being the product of a collective is necessarily a bad thing. I also think you're being a little hard on anime. There's been some standout performances in directing, animation and music. A lot of it is middle of the road, sure, but there's certainly a few gems. Likewise, not all of manga is good either. One thing I will give manga is that there's more creative control for the author to assume.
>>
>>1431498
Would be nice, but redditor mods don't care about manga, RapeApe only cares about epic /pol/ culture and Hiro just doesn't care at all.
>>
I have trouble fapping without color.
>>
>>1432293
Hiro cares about being a トクする人
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.