[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-ice-su rface-comet-67p.html Mi

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: 569767a8ea3cf.jpg (46KB, 800x444px) Image search: [Google]
569767a8ea3cf.jpg
46KB, 800x444px
http://phys.org/news/2016-01-ice-surface-comet-67p.html

Millions of dollars were spent just so they could find out that there's water on an icy body floating in space. It's not that surprising to me, is it to you? Thought so. And look at those little dots, that's the big discovery they made.

How much money SHOULD be spent in space exploration? Do we spend too much already? By "we" I mean society, or per country, or the EU's space program, whatever you want it to be..
>>
>>60997919
>Millions of dollars
Do you honestly think a couple million dollars is a lot of money? Are you that disconnected from reality or just stupid.
>>
Tax payers shouldn't pay a dime for this kike bullshit. Even the moon landings have turned out to be fake.
>>
>>60998039
Well million dollars is still a million dollars that could be spent elsewhere

Also the entire Rosetta mission was 1.4 billion euros, which is over 1.5 billion USD

Philae itself cost 220 million Euros. The lander? Just a waste of money as it accomplished nothing, connection was hardly made and now it's lost for good. If that much money was spent on a balloon and a lander sent to Antarctica only to get lost, people would be pissed.
>>
>hours of a day wasted sharpening a rock
>when are we going to put an end to subsidizing these stupid projects

Same argument thousands of years ago. Same reason why space exploration technology is worth it in the long run. Just because you might not see the exponential returns within your lifetime doesn't mean it isn't a good investment.
>>
>>60998039
you're stupid
>>
>>60998715
>>hours of a day wasted sharpening a rock
What are you referring to?
>>60998796
Uh ok?
>>
>>60997919
You dont understand the importance of this discovery do you?
>>
File: scienceogram-rosetta-1.1[1].png (64KB, 600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
scienceogram-rosetta-1.1[1].png
64KB, 600x1010px
>>60997919
Also, I think every country should spend MORE. By now we should have already a full defense system against asteroids. I guess we're waiting for something really fucked to happen.
>>
>>60997919
If you can't understand the implication of water ice and bacteria that come FROM space and not earth then you are a retard.
>>
millions of dollars spent proving that the dirty snowball theory is complete bullshit more like
>>
>Hurr durr science is expensive, ban NASA and throw gibmedats
>>
>>60998926
Maybe not, can you explain how this benefits humanity?

>>60998944
Well considering comets have these huge icy tails I never questioned, "is there water in space?" I'm pretty certain one of the most common theories about Earth is that our water came from comets after all.
>>
>>60997919
>science is bad
>knowledge is not worth spending money on
why am i not surprised that a burger flipping, walmart shopping, morbidly obese poorfag doesn't understand that?
>>
File: 640px-Nasa_blue_marble.jpg (96KB, 640x656px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Nasa_blue_marble.jpg
96KB, 640x656px
Invested in space exploration is incredibly important in future-proofing out economy. MORE should be spent on space exploration and scientific programs in general. Not only can these programs create jobs and get those millions of goverment money back into the hands of the citizens, but innovation that can come from these programs will do that same.
>>
>>60999200

But I don't think either of those things, which is probably why you're not surprised given that you made 90% of that post up in your head instead of reading it....
>>
I thought space agencies have discovered mineral bearing asteroids that are carrying about sixty times the value of the world's GDP in them. I think any form of space exploration and development is valuable if it leads to insights that can improve living here on earth.
>>
File: 1198099198585.jpg (7KB, 252x189px) Image search: [Google]
1198099198585.jpg
7KB, 252x189px
>>60997919
i say we cut benes on worthless neets, then we figure out how to get our asses to space with the extra money
>>
>>60999339
I'm all for mining in space. It will completely tear apart the values of different minerals.
>>
>>60998847
Imagine you're sitting in a village a few thousand years ago, everyone is working hard hunting and stuff, but don't have stone tools. You see this guy sitting on his ass not doing anything, just chipping away at this rock making it sharper.

One guy says hey stop wasting time faggot help us wrassle bush pigs. Another guy says hey wait that looks neat let's see what he manages.

Which would you rather choose?
>>
>>60999332
i read your childish post
>hurr i already knew everything which i think they found out on this mission
fuck off idiot.
>>
>>60997919
Yes Goy give all the tax money to the niggers instead...
>>
>>60999613
What are you, a nerd?
>>
>>60997919
Yeah, we did should be spending this money on something important, ya know? Like Daequon and Latishas dorito and lottery habit.
>>
>>60999626
But I didn't say that either. :(

>>60999613
I guess it'd depend on the division of labor there. On it's own this guy's just a harmless guy sharpening a rock. From their point of view he should be doing his job and helping his own community out
>>
>US spends $1.11 trillion on the military
>Hundreds of billions of dollars going to black budgets alone
>HURR WE WASTED A FEW MILLION ON A STUPID SATELLITE
>>
>>60999921
Your missing the whole point of that post you fucking clown. Are you actually that stupid?
>>
>>60999921

Right. You can have legitimate arguments about the scale of R&D. You just have to caution against those hardliners on either side. There's people who want 0% R&D and people who want 100% R&D and they're both wrong.
>>
>>61000202
No but you're not doing a very good job presenting your point, just namecalling... should... should I take you seriously or something?
>>
>>61000575
Yes.
>>
>>61000531
Yeah I'm just interested in different perspectives on the subject and I'm not at 0 or 100, I'm not sure where I'm at but I'm not extreme on any of those sides.

Reality becomes more and more like a scifi movie when you take the perspective of the universe being the true "world" and the Earth just being another planet in it. When your whole world is the Earth I can see why you could be extremely against space exploration, so that's not my point of view

>>61001752
Yes sir excuse me sir please sir.
>>
>>60997919
Yes, we should spend money on welfare queens instead of expanding the boundaries of human knowledge, like a bunch of kucks.
>>
>>60999726
Hello Reddit.
>>
>>60997919
>too much
Dis nigga...
>>
>Fuck the final frontier, we need mo money fo dem programs!
>>
>>60997919
Fuck you.
>>
>>61002250
>>61002646

Do you guys want to have a general space thread instead? I'm cool with that..

To look at it from a different perspective I guess I can see why knowing more and more details about this comet with the surviving spacecraft is worth it, as knowing more about small bodies in space can further dispell the myths about them and bring us closer to understanding the formation of planets in our solar system and what they could've possibly contributed to it..

But from an economic standpoint, there's like a huge clash isn't it?
>>
File: Welfare Spending.png (1MB, 1355x723px) Image search: [Google]
Welfare Spending.png
1MB, 1355x723px
>>60997919
Red pill time
>>
File: human-vs-robot.jpg (49KB, 566x374px) Image search: [Google]
human-vs-robot.jpg
49KB, 566x374px
>>60997919
The International Space Station cost over 150 Billion dollars. If you're worried about the cost of the space program, stop sending fragile bags of meat up there. Robots in some ways aren't as flexible and adaptable as humans and in other ways they're much more robust. But one thing they are is much MUCH less expensive. We could achieve much more with them than we can by sending ugly bags of mostly water into orbit to study what happens to ugly bags of mostly water in orbit.
>>
>>60997919
All of the water on planet earth came from comets.
>>
>>61003033

>muh defense

There's good uses for all those things beyond just defense, fortunately I can defend all of those things without having to bring "because muh wars" into the equation!
>>
>>61003231
Who cares about "Muh Wars"? Killing shitskins is never a waste.
>>
>>60997919
think about it this way.

if you lived on an island and you got mad about investing in boats because on their trips they haven't found another good island yet, you'd be stupid.
>>
>>61003050

Send 3D printers and materials into space. The ISS could really just be a huge machine instead of the vehicle that it is. I'm confident it'll happen one of these days, and probably when we start sending people to the moon.

This is why manned missions aren't that big of a focus these days and a lot of work is on sending probes out into space. It's just more efficient to do so.
>>
File: LiqZRYB.jpg (159KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
LiqZRYB.jpg
159KB, 960x540px
>>60997919
I am an astrophysicist who analysed some of the data from Philae, and you're right, all these missions are a complete money sink. You'll get shabbos goy like >>60998715 who go "Muh blue-sky research! You don't KNOW it'll be useless information", and this technically true but extremely disingenuous line of argument is what we rely on to pay our salaries.

The deuterium ratios in cometary migrating bodies is indicative of formation beyond the circumstellar snow line? Whoop-de-fucking-woo. All this does is prove that one old guy with a beard's theory of solar system formation is slightly more likely to be right than another old guy with a beard's theory of solar system formation, and so the first old guy with a beard and his research group gets invited to nicer international conferences in Hawaii so he can dick-wave in front of a room full of other old guys with beards. That's the only thing that this knowledge achieves. We all know full well that it will never be useful to anyone ever... except to send us on paid dick-waving vacations to Hawaii.

Scientists are... moderately smart people. We know how to run scams. I work 5-hour days, occasionally shit out 10 pages of technical jargon with a meme title and call it a peer-reviewed paper, and the rest of the time at work I browse Normiebook or plan my next "conference" holiday. All at the taxpayer's expense.

Sorry to dispel any illusions, but we're all complete grifters.
>>
We should literraly he spending ever dime we can so we as a species can get off this prision rock and colonize the stars. Our ancestors are counting on us. Imagine a future where we can litteraly just say " lol fuck shit soins and goat fuckers ill just move to another planet "

It would be glorious
>>
File: BurnBabyByrn.png (340KB, 403x510px) Image search: [Google]
BurnBabyByrn.png
340KB, 403x510px
>>61004645
See, THIS would be a good use of money. Work on closed-system life support for colonization missions. As grusome as it sounds, "The most efficient way to drink your own piss" is what helps you colonize other planets.
But for every scientific grant about things that are actually useful, there are twenty like the Philae lander, which are just the incestuous products of scientists telling governments to pay scientists for nonsense makework.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.