[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The first time the US discovered what an EMP does.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 8.jpg (625KB, 1746x2048px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
625KB, 1746x2048px
Does the US have an EMP weapon? If so, wouldn't that be the most logical first strike weapon if it were attempting to limit civilian casualties? If used, and the NK aging artillery pointing toward Seoul were targetted, wouldn't this solve alot of the problems with the "military solution"?

http://www.businessinsider.com/first-us-test-emp-weapon-2016-11
>>
>>140437084
I doubt Artillery is EMP vulnerable.
>>
Emp would have no effect on artillery.
>>
>>140437084
We have much more than EMP weapons, and I think NK and most of the rest of the world knows this. I'm really not sure that the NK situation is being played intelligently with this escalation of saber rattling.
>>
You might be able to knock out fancy targeting systems but most of them are just dumb fired and they already know where to shoot.
>>
>>140437472
NPR is usually garbage but one in a while hint at a crumb or two of warning. The other day one of the experts claimed Trump was the devil for pitting Worst Korea against Best Korea.

Obviously Jewish claptrap, but, if you think about it, that's an obvious vector for condemning the seeming trend when it would appear to leave Worst Korea holding the bucket if something goes wrong.
>>
>>140437084
When I say targeted I mean by conventional weapons. EMP wouldn't have an effect
>>
No expert, but I imagine once the artillery piece are configured and aimed, they have no electronic part which can be disabled.
>>
>>140438192
yes the question is how spread out do they have it, and how many days/missions would it take us to deliver all the airstrikes to knock it out

our artillery can also counterstrike theirs once they fire, we have targetting systems that can detect exaclty where a shell was fired from

so it would still take a day or two to mop up their artillery, no telling how many would die in Seoul as we evacuated. I think it would be much less than some people are claiming, maybe thousands at most.
>>
>>140437084
Fuck Seoul glass it
>>
>>140438630
Seoul would be kill before we mobilized unless they're planning on spending the money to upgrade the stuff they'd need to shield it.
>>
>>140437084
The EMP meme was effective as a tactic for about 3 years, but those have long since passed as everyone started thinking about EMP weapons and all built tons of countermeasures and failsafes. They're useless as weapons of war now.

That said they're probably still great at civilian level disruption.
>>
>>140439080
Yea military equipment has been EMP hardened.

All you need is a Faraday cage around your tech.
>>
>>140437084
> emp weapon
> literally magical thinking
1: emp is electromagnetic radiation of sufficient power to overload and/or burn out electronics
the more sophisticated the electronics are, the lower the power levels needed to fry it
NoKo electronics are 1950s level trash, it would take a metric shitload of power to fry their garbage

2: Distance Matters
all electromagnetic effects are governed by the inverse square law
as distance increases, energy is reduced on the square.
thats why a campfire can be hot as fuck when youre right up on it, but you can still freeze your ass off if you move even a few feet away.
this is also why a candle doesnt illuminate the whole room, the farther you get from the source, the dimmer the light becomes.
yes, i am explaining this to you like you are a small child, because youre obviously stupid.

unless the emp device is close enough to deliver enough energy to electronic that are sufficiently vulnerable, it will do NOTHING, and the power requirements to fry even a small nation like say, taiwan, with gernerally highly sophisticated tech (to whit, very vulnerable) is fucking TREMENDOUS
even stategic nukes dont deliver enough power to fry NoKo's antique technology, and shit like artillery doesnt even use electronics.
all an EMP would do is disrupt kim jong un's PS4 and cost us billions for the momentary schadenfreude of doing so.
>>
May wanna ask Boeing and Raytheon, champ.
>>
>>140437084
>limit civilian casualties
>send the country back into the stone age and watch as 90% dies off in the course of one year
>>
>>140439470
Electromagnetic is inverse cube. 3 dimensions of radiation and all.
>>
File: retard.jpg (43KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
43KB, 600x657px
>EMP
>prevent human casualties
>>
>>140440075
It's better than some other options that you have no clue about
>>
>>140439470
> 3 dimensions, cube dispersal sounds logical
> remember shit about "gravity being subject to inverse cube", as a notable exception
> athlete not a mathlete
> you could be right but it sounds too "on the nose" for egghead physics
> dont care enough to break out 20 year old physics books and do several hours of maths that i barely remember
somebody clarify this shit.
theres gotta be a nerd in here somewhere.
>>
File: ohyou.jpg (63KB, 600x752px) Image search: [Google]
ohyou.jpg
63KB, 600x752px
>>140440581
>>
Why even EMP them

It wouldn't matter
>>
>>140437084
I'm sure any disruption in certain comms in NK are automatic tripwire to begin firing dumb aimed weapons. They assume after a certain interval of comms being down or the inability to hail command and control authority means they're under attack and will follow their pre-designed firing orders.

This will alert any hardened or surviving systems and units to stand themselves up and launch/attack.

EMP would not be some magical freeze-ray which would prevent devastating attack on SK and maybe Japan if they can get something up and THADD or aegis misses.
>>
>>140440011
> 3 dimensions, cube dispersal sounds logical
> remember shit about "gravity being subject to inverse cube", as a notable exception
> athlete not a mathlete
> you could be right but it sounds too "on the nose" for egghead physics
> dont care enough to break out 20 year old physics books and do several hours of maths that i barely remember
somebody clarify this shit.
theres gotta be a nerd in here somewhere.

> fucking replied to myself like a summerfag.
> ready for my lambasting
> not even an excuse for this level of faggotry
> depriving anon of his rightfully earned (you) for a well thought out post.
i am ashamed of myself.
>>
>>140439997
>sending a country already in the stone age to the stone age
>>
>>140439470
>I've seen all technological advancements
>all candles and fires are small
>I'm on a pokemon image board
>>
File: histler.png (292KB, 692x793px) Image search: [Google]
histler.png
292KB, 692x793px
>>140441007
Ha! Upvote! Kidding you cum dumpster
>>
>>140441007
EMP radiates power in 3 dimensions. To keep it simple, what's the volume of a cube? Let's say is Y inches on all sides. The volume is then YxYxY or Y^3.

Every extra inch of Y on the size of that cube means a cubic increase in volume. So to, that means that ever cubic increase in volume means a cubic decrease in the amount of energy you have distributed in that volume.

So use your high school math. That means the amount of energy you have decreases by the cube root of the distance from the point origin of the energy.
>>
>>140441007
Here, let's think of it a different way. Let's say you have a cube that's 2" x 2" x 2". What's the volume? 2x2x2 = 16.

Move that up 1" on each side. 3x3x3 = 27. So by increasing 1" in three dimensions you ahve increased 27 - 16 = 11 in volume. 1:11 ratio and it only gets crazier the bigger up you move the numbers.

So let's say you have a 1 megaton EMP bomb. At 2" away, you have 1/16 of the radiated energy. At 3" away you have 1/27 of the radiated energy. At 10" away, you have 1/1000 of the radiated energy.
>>
>>140441077

nigga that will send them to the Jurassic
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.