[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meta/pol/: Acknowledging and understanding the super-organism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Meta.jpg (105KB, 610x540px) Image search: [Google]
Meta.jpg
105KB, 610x540px
I don’t think its a controversial idea to suggest that civilization is a super-organism, and it's an idea that's really been trying to crystallize for some time now, but to no really satisfying degree.
The goal of this thread is to firstly acknowledge this, then try to get us all to talk about its future.

> Humans are cells
>Different humans with different jobs/personalities/experiences work akin to different cells - some cells work relatively alone (but for the collective nevertheless), some cells work in large fields that as whole could be compared to organs (e.g. a banker or stockbroker could be considered a cell of the civilizational 'Capitalism' or 'Trade' organ, people who work in sanitation could be considered cells of the societal equivalent of a liver and so on.

>Cells can become cancerous
>(this is a form of wordplay we're all to familiar with here; to call someone or their ideas cancerous. I think it's very insightful for these very reasons). People who collapse their own lives into depression, despair, degeneration, bitterness and aren't just fucking their own lives up - they can be considered benign tumours if they only manage to ruin their own shit, but if they set others on their same dismal path and it spirals out of control, then it's nothing less than full blown cancer of the super organism, and I very much believe this is what's happening in academia right now.

>The super organism is an environment unto itself, as we shape it, it shapes us.
>We are all subject to the fundamental Darwinian rule that says that organisms are plastic (shaped by) their environment on an evolutionary, and civilization is itself an environment that we adapt to. But unlike mountains, temperatures and rivers and shit WE made this environment, creating a dangerous but extremely effective feedback loop that causes us to evolve rapidly in specific directions (i.e. consider the unparalleled explosion in human intelligence since the inception of the first civilizations).
>>
The most accurate way to put it is to say that there is cultural collectivism rather than saying that society behaves like a super-organism.
>>
>>140404822
>cultural collectivism
I don't like that definition because it's just too vague for the levels of analysis and thinking I'd like to get into on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, this is DEFINITELY a case of cultural collectivism in the same way a car is atoms and in the same way a cake recipe is a meme.

But I think we can get more accurate than that.
>>
>>140403502
It goes much deeper.

The natural physics of the universe, as we understand them, all indicate a trend of decreasing entropy. This law has never been disproven, and is so certain that we have predicted the possible heat death of the universe.

Now look at, not just humans, but life itself. We are self organizing. We increase entropy within ourselves and our environments. The universe abhors life, because we attempt to violate one of its basic principles simply by existing.

We are a tiny ember in a chaotic, stormy sea. One splash is all it would take...
>>
>>140405329
Entropy means the opposite of how you're using it dummy
>>
>>140403502
read on jung; archetypes, collective unconscious etc

then drop acid in some public transport
>>
>>140405329
>The natural physics of the universe, as we understand them, all indicate a trend of decreasing entropy.
You mean increasing entropy?
>>
>>140405665
might as well be using my physics degree for toilet paper, I've been out of school for so long.

You're right, but my point still stands.
>>
>>140406035
My mind isn't ready for that just yet, but i'm working up to it.
>>
>>140406517
Yes, I apologize, just swap out increasing and decreasing and everything else still applies.
>>
File: This is basically humanity.jpg (6KB, 282x178px) Image search: [Google]
This is basically humanity.jpg
6KB, 282x178px
>>140406692
Right
>>140405329
We are definitely the exception to the rule, but I think we still fit in comfortably within the nature of the universe. It began with chaos, chaos plus physical laws become anarchy, anarchy plus time becomes order, and eventually order cools to become so brittle it collapses into dust, and if you're lucky the waning embers in that dust can be reignited a handful of times to reforge the order once more, better than before.
But the end is undeniably cold and dead.

But this doesn't make me depressed or hopeless; it did when I was 14 or 15 because that's just how the mind is at that age.

I see this as wrestling with God, as man reaching to the stars with the fullest intent of grasping them with his hands. We're playing the most difficult game in the universe, and that is the universe itself.

God is pictured as a father figure for a reason, to me. Not as an unstoppable evil force that is just out to get you, but as a harsh brutal teacher.
But the father aspect is telling; fathers are inevitably usurped by their sons.
And i really do think that's not just our job as self aware organisms - i think it's the only thing we can do. We're going to learn every corner of this universe inside out, and if we have to in order to survive - punch through the fabric that holds it together into something beyond or deeper.

Entropy is just a time-limit for us to get our shit together, not necessarily an unavoidable death sentence.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.