[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Free Market has never existed

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: file.png (955KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
955KB, 1024x576px
Why do Libertarians claim the free-market in the US "ended in 1913" when the Federal Reserve was created? Do they think there were markets free from tariffs, legal monopolies, or regulations before that? Are they lying or just ignorant of history?
>>
>>140211206
>monopolies
monopolies are a logical part of a free market
>>
>>140212891
you know that "legal monopoly" generally refers to state-made monopolies, right? Like the railroad companies or Standard Oil, etc.
>>
>>140212891
This.

>>140213959
It's only relatively recent in history that monopolies have been made illegal. The government didn't make Standard Oil or the railroad monopolies, the market did. Even the railroads the US gov't had created weren't monopolies, multiple railroad companies were made to compete.
>>
>>140215750
>The government didn't make Standard Oil or the railroad monopolies, the market did.
That's factually incorrect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Railroad_Acts

And those "legal monopolies" helped to create "natural monopolies" like Standard Oil, using the government backing through low taxes or subsidies to give Standard Oil good deals purchasing their oil. None of these are examples of "true free markets'.
>>
>>140216861
>That's factually incorrect
>Pacific Railroad Act
You mean where the government created multiple competing companies exactly like I said?

>And those "legal monopolies" helped to create "natural monopolies" like Standard Oil
Standard Oil isn't an example of a natural monopoly. A natural monopoly would be like a water utility -- competition would be little more than wasteful. Standard Oil was a case of naturally occurring market consolidation into a monopoly.
>>
>>140217258
>where the government created
You specifically said:
>The government didn't make Standard Oil or the railroad monopolies, the market did.
And my reply was that the government made the railroads, and they worked to help create standard oil. Lets not play games where you change your argument after the fact. If you're wrong on something just admit it and move on.
>>
File: 1504427820301.jpg (116KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1504427820301.jpg
116KB, 1024x577px
You fucking statist shills are retarded. Go regulate your estrogen intake from all the soy you're eating, learn about economics before sperging
>>
well you shouldn't debate economics on internet, where retards literally think there are two school: keynesians and austrians
>>
File: Gadsen Treaded.gif (1MB, 560x372px) Image search: [Google]
Gadsen Treaded.gif
1MB, 560x372px
The ad homs always come out when they're losing. Pathetic.
>>
>>140217402
>And my reply was that the government made the railroads
The *pacific* railroads. The Northeastern (mainly) and Southeastern railroads were privately made and it's the Northeastern railroads that were monopolized at one point. The pacific railroads came way later.

>they worked to help create standard oil
They did nothing of the sort. They tried to fill their order books after passengers started to diminish and decided to go with the transportation of oil, ultimately benefitting Standard Oil until the railroads started trying to milk the relationship and causing Rockefeller to 'invent' oil pipelines to sidestep the railroads.
>>
File: kowloon 4.jpg (302KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
kowloon 4.jpg
302KB, 1024x723px
>>140218084
>still trying to move the goalpost
Do you think people can't just scroll up and read what you said here: >>140215750 ?
Just provide an example of a truly free market in history. Standard Oil and the Railroads are not examples of the free market.
>>
File: 1488856740243.jpg (38KB, 1134x315px) Image search: [Google]
1488856740243.jpg
38KB, 1134x315px
>>140211206
>there's nothing wrong with controlling interest rates because someone taxed whiskey one time.
>>
>>140218339
>still trying to move the goalpost
Excuse you?

>Standard Oil and the Railroads are not examples of the free market.
Sure they are. If you're debating from the angle of an unnecessarily narrow definition "free," where even a phantasmal existence of government exists in some obscure fashion, then you're proselytizing and are too much of an intellectual inferior for me to waste an iota of my time with.
>>
>>140211206
Correct, Freedom to compete means freedom to limit the freedom of others via competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gorSUDnX1qk
>>
File: ig.jpg (56KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
ig.jpg
56KB, 666x500px
>>140211206
The land monopoly is the mother of all monopolies

Single tax when?
>>
>>140211206
No, you see, *real* capitalism has never been tried, you just need to deregulate and privatize everything and the invisible hand will fix it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.