[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Citizenship

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: birth-tourism.jpg (17KB, 480x273px) Image search: [Google]
birth-tourism.jpg
17KB, 480x273px
What is /pol/'s opinion on jus soli citizenship (being born in a country is enough to become a citizen) and dual/triple/etc. citizenship?

Other countries which are so "tolerant" disallow the practice; in Canada and the US, the only real downside of having more than one citizenship is that it bars you from certain security clearances.

With the border to the south of the US being so porous and Canada also being a popular spot for birth tourism, should we end birthright citizenship entirely?
>>
>>139737900
Citizenship should only be open to native-born or legally immigrated European-stock.
>>
>>139737900
absolutely idiotic ,citizenship is not a prize ,its something that u have to earn through proving to local society that u are worth to get access to all services of west achievement .
>>
>>139737900
If you're not willing to pledge full allegiance to your country you should not be given citizenship, "birthright" or not.
Give them all permanent resident status and on your 18th birthday when you register to vote you swear your oath to the constitution and receive citizenship.
Hell, make it part of the HS graduation ceremony...
>>
I work in an airport and it's a joke the amount of Algerians who come with both the French and the Algerian passports. How can even something like that be allowed
>>
No, the mis interpretation of the 14th is a mistake that needs to be corrected. End the abuse.
>>
>>139738589
Even if you naturalize as a US citizen now, the oath that you "renounce all other allegiances" isn't recognized by almost all countries as renouncing their citizenship...

...and if you naturalize as a citizen of another country it's not considered renouncing your US citizenship.

Hell I'm technically a citizen of three countries:
>US, born in the US, raised here, lived here all my life
>Canada, jus sanguinis (father was a Canadian Citizen at time of my birth, have a Canadian Citizenship certificate and going for a Canadian passport)
>Italy (great-great grandfather was born in Italy/an Italian citizen at the time of my great grandfather's birth, although this would cost a boatload of money to prove due to the amount of paperwork to order/certify/translate).
>>
>>139737900
The 14th amendment is fucked, not enough legalese bullshit. It should have said that natural born citizenship only counts for those born on or before [the day it was ratified] and from that point on all children born to at least 1 American parent are American citizens regardless of their location of birth.

I don't blame the people that wrote it though, they probably couldn't have conceived of abusing the 14th in the way illegal immigrants have because they would have just assumed a sane immigration policy of immediately expunging illegals would have remained in place til the end of time.
>>
>>139739002
I agree. I think birthright citizenship should be limited. In Italy birthright citizenship is only allowed in exceptional circumstances, basically if the child would otherwise be stateless (no citizenship to any country).

In Canada in the US it's a free for all, and that leads a variety of populations to come to the US to give birth so their kids are citizens.

In Australia if you have a child, my understanding is they're considered citizens if the parents are permanent residents or Australian citizens. That seems like a more reasonable middle ground, if you were a part of skilled immigration and had permanent residence then your intent was to become part of that country.
>>
>>139739217
Well, when the 14th amendment was written, basically the only people coming to the US were doing so on months long shitty boat rides. Most people were doing that as a one way trip with no intent to go back to Europe. So it made sense.

Now with the influence/strength/conditions of the US and the fact that you can pretty much fly from any country to the US in under 24 hours, shit has changed.
>>
File: 1502951257677.jpg (302KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1502951257677.jpg
302KB, 773x1000px
>>139737900
”a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs.” -John Dickinson
>>
>>139737900
My appointment is in 3 months, wish me luck guys.
>>
>>139737900
I hope the RAISE act becomes a reality. It'll be easier for me to emigrate. I'm much better than paco and his gangster family, i promise :)
>>
>>139739038
Why wouldn't changing the law work?
>Only one country for citizenship, unless you have parents with another country's citizenship
>If you pledge allegience to any other country (citizenship), which is not covered under the above, you immediately forfeit your citizenship.
Seems pretty fair to me.
>>
>>139740619
Some people view it as discriminatory, also since the US is a "nation of immigrants" it's a sore subject.

In my example, jus sanguinis, I became a citizen of the US, Canada, and Italy from the moment I was born. Now from a practical perspective (e.g. working in Canada, residing in Italy or other parts of the EU, etc.) that means jack shit until I get proof. I don't have to specifically pledge allegiance to Canada or Italy to get proof of citizenship. Thus under that definition the US doesn't care.

Another example: Anon here >>139740314 maybe was born in Mexico to a Mexican parent (thus citizenship at birth) came over with a parent on visa, then they became permanent residents, and now he's going for US Citizenship. He goes and takes the oath for US citizenship in three months, and the statement says that he "renounces all foreign citizenships". Even if the US believed this were the case, legally Mexico would still consider Anon a citizen, because they interpret this language as a mere formality. The US and Mexico would still each consider anon a citizen, unless he were specifically to go to Mexico and formally renounce his citizenship.

The US also considers its people citizens for a couple reasons that benefit (legally under the law it's easier to go after someone in an international locale if they're a citizen of your country, to either help them or if you want to arrest/extradite them, and US residents must file US federal income tax on all income accrued anywhere in the world).

Jus soli could end, but dual citizenship not so much.

For security clearance purposes, there's enough people that are just US citizens to fill the spots, and a lot of people are willing to renounce their non-US citizenship to get a security clearance, so that works.

Even in countries which ordinarily prohibit dual citizenship (e.g. Germany), you can make a case that renouncing would cause financial hardship (it costs $2,350 to renounce US citizenship) - allowed.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.