[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me that a meritocracy is bad

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1348.jpg (68KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1348.jpg
68KB, 960x960px
Convince me that a meritocracy is bad
>>
Not many people qualify for what they want to do, this means the majority is always secretly fighting against it unless you're a truly excellent person.
>>
>>139720456
its not. most people are completely average and we are literally completely incapable of living in a world where every single person gets to live out whatever their dream is because most people are so painfully mediocre that they can't live up to the requirements of their dreams.
>>
>>139720456
who judges your "merit"
>>
>>139720828
Dream and skill are two different things.
You can be worlds best at baking pizza but that will never take you closer to your dream of being a rally driver.
>>
white people have privilege, retard
>>
>>139721126
god bless White Privelege
>>
>>139720456
Who determines your 'merit'?
>>
>>139720456
Reality is shaped in such a way
That makes the lack of mercy into a merit.

Anyone building a society in which the one with most 'MERIT' rules, takes the risk of that merit being violence
>>
>>139720456
it's dead, trust me
>>
>>139720928

People who stand to gain from it. E.g. companies that hire people will make more money by hiring the people best suited for the job.
>>
>>139723553
The nose knows
There is a reason sociopaths are more likely to be successful
It requires sacrifice to reach the higher echelons, sacrifice of wealth, of friends, or even family
Only some people can tolerate that stuff, and these people aren't exactly the ones you want to hang around with
>>
>>139720456
you're not the best in anything, thus in meritocracy you will fail at everything. It's in your own self interest to not live on a meritocracy.
>>
>>139723375
This.
Only men who survive on the battlefield for long enough should get any important positions desu.
Normal meritocracy leads to aristocracy or oligarchy, since either nobles or merchants will just give more power to their kin.
>>
>>139720456
It's great.
But people think it can exist in a diverse country...
It also conflicts with equality, something that centrists don't realize.
>>
>>139720456
Generational inequality and the poverty trap.

If you have shitty parents and a shitty home life and live in a shitty neighborhood and go to a shitty school, then obviously you have little chance of achieving anything in a meritocracy. And then you'll have kids, and be a shitty parent ect, and the cycle continues.

If you have good parents and a good home life and live in a good neighborhood and go to a goo school, then you have a good chance of making something of yourself in a meritocracy. And then you'll have kids, and be a good parent ect, and the cycle continues.

Obviously exceptional people can sometimes escape, but they have to be so much MORE exceptional than their mediocre competition just to claw their way out of the hole. Someone who starts with nothing and makes something of themselves is so vastly better than someone who started with everything and then coasted through life, but in a meritocracy they both get the same reward. It's bullshit.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.