[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it a good idea to work in the trades?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: bigstock_plumber_126413603.jpg (551KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
bigstock_plumber_126413603.jpg
551KB, 900x600px
I have a bachelor of arts degree and a PhD in sociology.

I got pretty conservative by the time I was doing my PhD and mostly stuck to facts-based research. I was basically an Applied Statistician.

But the job market outlook for me is pretty shit and I don't enjoy working in the public sector environment which is rife with feminists and SJWs.

I've been going back to the gym a lot recently and have been thinking about doing an apprenticeship in plumbing, carpentry or as an electrician because I've noticed how being physically active makes me happier and I can see how we have all been conned to believe that blue collar work is low-status and under-paid.

I think it will be satisfying earning a living by building people's homes and being physically active. I've noticed as well that my testosterone levels have dropped off as I have become less physically active in the office environment.

This is more about meta-politics thread so please don't IP ban me for posting in the wrong subforum.

I would not recommend that you or any of your children go to university for an education unless they want to become a medical doctor. I would recommend that most people go to tradeschool.

I have seen how corrupt academia is from the inside and it is just going to get worse.
>>
I'm working in IT and getting masters in a related field soon, but I also plan to at least learn some trade in the future - though I don't think I "need" it.
>>
I spent 18 hour days in the texas heat among meth heads and non-whites on an electrician's crew I was apart of over a decade ago. It left a bad taste, so I've been working retail for the past decade. It would be nice to get certified in something, though I don't have a GED at the age of 36, so I'm fucked regardless.
>>
I'd love to apprenticeship but the pay is god awful and i don't know any tradesman taking on apprentices so there's that.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.