[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peak Oil Production

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 12

File: 4204769284.jpg (57KB, 630x449px) Image search: [Google]
4204769284.jpg
57KB, 630x449px
This is a topic that I rarely see discussed on /pol/, but it is relevant to our current global paradigm.

>Peak Oil: The concept that the current global oil reserves are half of what they were originally before the onset of petroleum-based technology and oil mining began in the 19th century.

It is no secret that oil, a non-renewable resource, has built industrial civilization. Without it, we could not have produced automobiles, trains, pesticides, herbicides, plastics, and mass food production. No resource on Earth can adequately replace oil as an energy source.

The question is, if the world has or is about to reach peak oil production, how will the industrialized world prepare for rising oil prices, and by extension, general inflation in various markets, such as food? What new energy source can we create that will allow for us to "grease the machine" of society, if any.

Some watching material:
>There is No Tomorrow: Peak Oil Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9W3XTIOCs
>A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odCZpBPfFQk
>>
>>139226767
Oil is a renewable resource
>>
File: 1494521973461.jpg (179KB, 1087x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494521973461.jpg
179KB, 1087x1080px
>>139226832
>>
>>139226832

Your right, I forgot I have an oil tree in my backyard.
>>
>>139226932
Of course it is. You just have to wait a few million years to make new oil.
>>
>>139226832
It's not renewing fast enough.
>>
Due to better exploration and extraction technology, we've added more oil to global reserves than we've consumed every year since the 1970s. We will discover cold fusion before we run out of oil.
>>
File: WTI.png (21KB, 635x366px) Image search: [Google]
WTI.png
21KB, 635x366px
>>139227109
What are talking about? Supply of oil & gas has dwarfed demand over the past three years. WTI is down 50% from a high of around $100 three years ago. Maybe you should lurkmoar before posting, newfagit. Why do think gasoline is so cheap at the pump these days? You are the cancer that is killing /pol/.
>>
>>139227277

Not if the (((petroleum industry))) has anything to say about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI5Jq_h-qyU
>>
File: 1502176255296.png (82KB, 600x658px) Image search: [Google]
1502176255296.png
82KB, 600x658px
>>139226767
>muh peak oil
is just a dumb meme that has been pushed since the 70s.
Supply and demand faggot.
Oil sources are too diverse for the supply to end instantly, it will be gradual and other methods of energy production will become more profitable. The neurosis over oil is just a hangover from the OPEC cartel crisis in 72 that faggot cuck baby boomers keep pushing. Baby boomers should all be gassed
>>
>>139227819
Cheap oil because oil companies take on massive debt to produce it.
You are the cancer here.
>>
>>139228191
Nobody is saying that the supply will end instantly. The idea is that if the known global supply is half of its original capacity, and no major oil reserves are found soon, oil will become gradually become more expensive over the decades going forward, meaning basic necessities will be more expensive.

It is odd that Saudi Arabia, the world's major oil producer, is beginning to produce oil on off-shore rigs (very expensive) rather than land-based rigs which is cheaper to produce. Does this suggest that Saudi Arabia has reached peak oil production?
>>
>>139228339

And they are subsidized by the state. Too big to fail, yadda yadda, etc.
>>
There's a shitload of oil left, and most countries are already making the jump to renewable and sustainable energy. Even China is in the process of making considerable leaps in green energy.

Soil erosion is a much more serious issue, and more likely to cause a collapse. Give it fifty years or so.
>>
>>139229871
>Does this suggest that Saudi Arabia has reached peak oil production?
The question is stupid: markets can answer it better than any faggot arm chair cuck can.
>>
>>139228191
This. It's the same reason why Muh Russia was pushed by the media. I think we're gonna hit peak old baby boomer memes well before we hit peak oil.
>>
>>139226767
Even big oil acknowledges they're in a ~3% yearly decline, with nothing they can do about it.
When were you when peak oil became boring?
>>
>>139230172
The wealthy United Arab Emirates answered the question of their dwindling oil supply by building a tourist industry in Dubai, which they hope will outlast their oil legacy in the future. What does Saudi Arabia have in mind to address their future oil supplies? A religion industry in Mecca?

That being said, if oil supplies were so abundant, you would not see country's begin offshore drilling to acquire oil unless that was the only area where known major oil reserves were found. You spend far too much energy to extract energy in the case of offshore drilling, called net energy.
>>
>>139226767

I hope oil runs out soon, industrial society and modernity are like cancer to humans.
>>
>>139230916
>The wealthy United Arab Emirates answered the question of their dwindling oil supply by building a tourist industry in Dubai, which they hope will outlast their oil legacy in the future.
no shit? Oil is non renewable, thus finite. They invest the money because they haev so damn much and are worried about an asymmetric economy i.e. the dutch disease: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_disease.

>You spend far too much energy to extract energy in the case of offshore drilling..

Yeah it is less profitable. So? Do you think companies will run it at a loss and not pass on costs to consumers and that will not have flow on effects to competitive sources of energy?
Canada shale oil is even less profitable and Venezuelan oil is shit qual too, but tech has caught up. There will be a problem in the future and it is a shame that we are burning it as opposed to using it for other things but the leftist al gore cuck narrative sounding it is pathetic and annoying.
>>
>>139229871
>and no major oil reserves are found soon
this is what peak oil relies on, and this is why peak oil is such a broken concept

peak oil is just the point at which supply for oil drops and the price for oil jumps up. the market always adjusts, pouring billions of dollars into research and development and exploration to find and exploit new reservoirs

the person who originally discovered peak oil was almost there, but he missed out on the vital part where the market adjusts.

you're taking an economic concept and applying it to the real world without properly examining it
>>
File: IMG_6956.jpg (24KB, 550x324px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6956.jpg
24KB, 550x324px
The Truth is Scarier than You Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrOvbQhevmw
>>
>>139226767
>What is fracking
Humans are a tiny film of bacteria on an enormous world. Technology allows us to continually improve resource collection and new find new replacements for these resources.
>>
>>139233485

You are just assuming that we will find technology or resource which will replace oil, but this hinges on chance.

The scientists better hurry up, or in a century we may be past the point of no return.
>>
>>139233751
>technology or resource which will replace oil
coal & gas alone is in deposits that would blow the mind m8. 1 small valley in Australia here has enough coal to supply Australia's power needs for 300 years; natural gas is largely untapped and an unknown resource.
>>
>>139232258
Mike!
>>
>>139233751

We will just go back to the agricultural society we had back in the 1700s. it is not the end of the world.
>>
>>139230115
50 years we'll all have balls sagging into our assholes, I won't give a fuck.. by then teslas will probably be mandatory or we'll be riding horses again
>>
>>139226767
It depends on when we hit peak oil. We have been worried about hitting it for decades now.
>>
>>139234221

Can natural gas or coal efficiently power our cars, trucks, trains, planes, allowing for logistics and production, such as farming?
>>
>>139234384

Looks like the Amish people in the US had the right idea.
>>
>>139234776
>I'm proud and (((White.)))
>>
>>139233751
We have the basis of that technology: Breeder reactors. We built a working thorium MSR back in the 60s. Develop commercially viable breeder reactors, decentralize the power grid, put them underground in areas where a worst case catastrophic failure means you back the concrete trucks up, and then develop the technology to manufacture liquid fuels using the energy that they generate.
>>
>>139226767
Known reserves of oil run well past 2300 at current consumption rates. Fracking basically blew apart the whole "peak oil" meme.
>>
>>139230115
It's a matter of the energy returned on energy invested. A lot of the new sources today suck on that front. If you're expending 2 barrels of oil to extract 1, it doesn't matter how much oil is left in the ground.
>>
>>139234880
Coal can be liquefied and gasified. It is less efficient than just using natural oil and gas, but it is possible. The main obstacle is it is just more costly and environmental legislation gets in the way.
>>
>>139227026
sure
>>
>>139227819
Oil went cheap all of a sudden because of new advances in the shale industry causing a huge glut on the market, you fucking retard. That doesn't change the fact that oil is pretty much a nonrenewable resource and will eventually run out.
>>
>>139226767
We aren't going to hit peak oil in the near future. Fracking and ocean drilling pretty much guaranteed that.
>>
>>139234880
Electrical cars are powered by electricity, electricity is made by?
>>
>>139226767
>peak oil, mass starvation because overpopulation, and icebergs in the year 2000
What are retarded lefty shit by paid ((scientist)) who won't show their data but it's real because muh bachelor in science degree
>>
>>139226932
Even ignoring the obvious possibility of waiting millions of years for new oil to form, you can produce something akin to oil through the pyrolysis of plant matter pretty much instantly.
>>
peak oil is a real problem but the timeline is way off

i do not believe we will see the real effects of peak oil until around the year 2100

also the real impact of peak oil will have nothing to do with cars it will have to do with a shortage of plastics derived from oil which you need for modern medicine and fertilizers which are also derived from oil

there has been plenty of advancement on the transportation front but there's currently no alternatives to make syringes and bags and other plastic shit you need for surgery
>>
>>139236810

That takes energy dude

The whole point is that we are running out of sources of fossil fuel-based energy
>>
>>139236451
>implying earth's core isn't churning out endless fuel for surface dwellers
>>
>>139226767

>rising oil prices

Imagine if congress and democrats werent cucks and let us drill here. We wouldn't have production or supply problems. Believe me there's going to be no problem with oil anytime in the next 200 years.
>>
>>139237242
well actually it has less to do with being a cuck and more to do with having a smart long term outlook

bleed out the rest of the world on the oil first and then turn to our own reserves once it starts getting scarce

this has been the us government's strategy since the 60s
>>
>>139236667
>Electrical cars are powered by electricity, electricity is made by?
This.
Tree huggers are so retarded. They want to stop coal burning pwer plants. Not build nuke plants. All the while bemoaning fossil fuels. Wind turbines kill untold numbers of birds. (guess they don't care about birds). Solar panels, car batteries are very large polluters and they never mention that.

A local oil driller had this sticker on his rig.
"Environmentalists, Let the bastards freeze in the Dark"
>>
>>139237039
The process almost produces enough charcoal to run itself.
>>
>>139230115
What is vertical farming
>>
>>139226767

Yeah....

We haven't reached 1/2

We haven't even reached 1/10th

The amount of oil reserves in the gulf of Mexico alone is enough to fuel earth at current levels for hundreds if years.

It's just difficult to get to.

Same with Canadian tar sands. It's a bitch to refine but holds more oil than the middle East.

As technology advances these things become easier to refine. This is why oil is in the shitter right now. We got so fucking good at finding it that we fucked ourselves.

I work offshore in the gulf and I assure you oil isn't going up anytime soon. Maybe not ever again.

Peak oil is a myth
>>
>>139236810
That's what African Niggers do.
Make fucking charcoal by burning trees. Does more harm than good. But hey, it's niggers ya know?
>>
>>139238030
>This is why oil is in the shitter right now. We got so fucking good at finding it that we fucked ourselves.
Is only half right. It was more the mix of the fracking boom exceeding OPEC's expectations (they tried to play chicken on the price and lost) and China's growth slowing down.
Is hard to shrug off the slowdown of China on the impact of prices as well.
>>
>>139226832
Renewable means renews within 100 years. It's not renewable
>>
>>139236451
>conveniently not mentioning OPEC overproduction
I wonder (((who))) could be behind this post
>it's all the US's fault, goy! You goys are responsible for everything bad in today's world!
>>
>>139239992
This, as well. China has been a big hidden influence on the oil market for a while now. Building materials come from petrol, and with China slowing down on the building, so does their demand on oil.
>>
>>139226767

peak oil will break globalism which will be a good thing.

for a country to mine a resource, ship millions of tonnes of the resource across the world, have it processed and manufactured into shitty products, then ship millions of tonnes of crap back to the original country, then throw it all away after 5 years, is just retarded.

i get it, it needed to be done to advance. but now it's just self-defeating.
>>
>>139226767
>The question is, if the world has or is about to reach peak oil production
we havent had this thread in years because the price of oil collapsed in 2014 due to oversupply

The U.S. shale fracking industry is on hold and ready to produce the minute it becomes economically viable to do so.

Humans will move to renewables before oil runs out
>>
>>139237698

>almost enough to run itself

are you taking into account the energy required to build the devices necessary to run the process, as well as the factories needed to build those parts, and the infrastructure needed to deliver them? What about the energy needed to feed the people overseeing the process?

In order for an energy source to be viable for an advanced civilization, it must produce much more energy than it requires to obtain it.
>>
>>139226832
With sufficient application of solar or nuclear derived electricity and some biomass input it is. Norwegian scientists are working on a high yield method of deriving petroleum from kelp, which would allow us to farm the oceans for oil in an essentially carbon neutral way.
>>
File: 1344692426176.jpg (92KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1344692426176.jpg
92KB, 407x405px
>>139226767
I did an essay on this about 10yrs ago... and it still hasn't happened.
>>
>>139226767

Petroleum Engineering degree holder here.
By the time peak oil happens, better energy sources will be available. Oil is currently $50 a barrel because there is so much of it and that doesn't even include the reservoirs that haven't been drilled into yet.
>>
>>139226767
>It is no secret that oil, a non-renewable resource
you probably think oil is made from long dead plants and animals. 99.999% of all oil is made by bacteria in the ground. oil is their waste product not dead dinosaurs

oil is also found in lots of places the american oil industry said had no oil. china has oil. japan has oil. any place that isnt land locked has oil

peak oil is as much of a myth as nuclear winter (all nukes put together cant equal what 1 quarter of a mile square astroid can do) or the ozone layer not being replenishable (o3 is easily made with electricity) or that any plastic isnt biodegradable (bacteria in the soil eat any plastic was proven by a highschool student like 10 years ago for a science fare project)
>>
>>139234880
>He doesn't know of the buses that run on natural gas
>>
>>139237158
Abiotic theory is not well publicized, and it has a huge disinfo campaign against it.
>>
>>139243889
what publicly traded companies or sectors would you guess will be in control of these "better energy sources" or in their research?
>>
>>139243889

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the real issue of peak oil is not that we'll run out, but that the economic system won't be sustainable once the supply exceeds demand, which for all intents and purposes has definitely happened when you have OPEC cutting production and a large number of countries transitioning to renewable energy.
>>
>>139226767
We had a geography teacher in highschool who talked about nothing else than peak oil. According to him there won't be any planes flying anymore by 2020.
>>
>>139248173
Reminds me how I was told as a kid in the 90s that all the Coral Reefs would be dead in 20 years because "Global Warming" by teachers.
>>
>>139246925

You mean demand exceeds supply
>>
There was a little peak oil in 2008
>>
>>139248461
Climate alarmism is going to be looked at in 200 years the way we look at the Salem witch trials today.
>>
>>139226767
Wasn't oil supposed to peak in 2010, and before that 2000, and before that 1990, and before that 1980?
>>
>>139226767

What is this, 2004?

Literally nobody still thinks peak oil is a thing anymore.

The only peak oil anyone in the industry talks about anymore is peak oil DEMAND not SUPPLY.

Oil will be out competed by alternatives like natural gas and eventually solar long before oil becomes scarce.

Oil price is about to tank again to $30 within the next year because supply is so plentiful and some major new fields are coming online while demand growth is not what people thought it would be 5-10 years ago
>>
>>139249018
no, I don't. When the demand is lower than the supply, they have to cut production or do other bullshit to keep the entire economy from crashing (thank you petrodollar)

There's also the problem that we might someday run out of oil, i.e. the endgame of demand exceeding supply, but that isn't going to happen before the whole world is running on renewables or we all die from the climate war
>>
>>139226767
>This is a topic that I rarely see discussed on /pol/
That's because it's a myth.
What are you sliding?
>>
>>139226767
>>139226832
>>139226932
http://principia-scientific.org/russians-nasa-discredit-fossil-fuel-theory-demise-of-junk-co2-science/

https://rogtecmagazine.com/the-fundamental-problems-of-basin-and-oil-and-gas-formation-creation/

The premise of peak oil production is false on quite a few levels and is just meant to make people scared for the future so they don't have any children.
The concept of Peak Oil Production is a very, very conservative financial estimate of the known possible production of oil at the time. It specifically does not mean that we know or count all of the oil fields or reserves that are available to us.
Technology opens a lot more oil fields to us as seen with the fracking and directional drilling and as technology develops so does our access to more and more fields. This is the reason why oil has been dumped in the last few years. The price increases of oil in the first decade of the 21th century were meant to provide large oil company with huge profits which it did. It also provided the incentive for smaller companies to develop more capacity with directional drilling and fraking. Now these large oil concerns are flooding the market with oil so as to starve out these smaller firms who do not have large amounts of capital at their disposal. There is absolutely no shortage of oil.
Further, the fossil fuel genesis theory has been severely undermined. Russia has been studying this phenomenon for decades and it is only since the end of the USSR that this idea has entered into the west in scientific circles.

The idea of peak oil production was popularized by a book called the Limits to Growth commissioned by the Club of Rome. This uses very similar modeling techniques as used in Climate Change and I would say this is where the concept of modeling came from. As with Climate Change, the use of modeling becomes invalid as it has been shown that the models don't reflect reality. They are not useless per say but they cannot be use as predictor.
>>
>>139240238
It does, engineers know it but academia won't acknowledge it cause it would cost them most of their funding
>>
>>139248461
and the fucking rainforest was gonna be gone lmao
>>
>>139255446
If it was known that fossil fuels were generally a renewable resource, people would be less agreeable to paying more for this necessity and the price would invariably drop along with the political influence it provides.
The indiscriminate use of fossil fuels may be frowned upon though for adding too much CO2 in the atmosphere however we are nowhere near to an upper limit as it is claimed in the climate change scare. Given that agricultural growth increased in the last few decades as atmospheric CO2 increased to 400ppm, the industrial age has actually prevented a mass catastrophic crop failure as CO2 levels had reached critical levels which would have caused massive starvation. CO2 ppm levels between 1000 and 1500 may be preferable for maximum agricultural growth so we should not fear using fossil fuels until we reach at least 1000ppm which won't occur for a few decades at which point, small form low pressure nuclear reactors will be available to provide cheap CO2 free power generation. This will provide the basic tools for human kind to create stable atmospheric environments that will make bases on the moon and mars feasible.
>>
Peak Oil is a myth.
Research "abiotic oil"

We have been raised on cartoons made by oil companies that show old dinosaurs and trees decaying and being turned into oil over millions of years. But at the same time we know that an oil well that has been pumped dry and abandoned will often later be found to have plenty of oil left. What happened? Did a bunch of dinosaurs fall into the abandoned well?

Did you know that the government gives a tax break to oil companies for the oil they pump out? It is called a "depletion allowance". Now if the oil was not made by rotting dinosaur carcasses, but was actually a natural function of the earth, this depletion allowance wouldn't make any sense. If crude oil was actually the second most plentiful liquid on earth, (behind water), we would not think it was so valuable.

Russia has been operating under the abiotic oil theory for more than 50 years, and they get their oil from super deep wells. They are also one of the world's major oil producers.

Retards were talking a lot about "peak oil" about ten years ago, and we were told that was why we were invading the Middle East. We weren't killing all the enemies of the KIKES, we were defending our need for future oil.

But only a couple of years ago the crude oil price broke all the way down below $30 a barrel. When the oil producers pump oil without restraint the stuff gets really cheap really fast.
>>
We're not running out of fossil fuels. Research methane hydrates, the Japanese are investing heavily into it in order to make themselves more energy efficient.

Once the technology is perfected, it will produce more energy than all other fossil fuel sources combined.
>>
File: seafuel.jpg (142KB, 1087x664px) Image search: [Google]
seafuel.jpg
142KB, 1087x664px
>>139226832
Oil derived products are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8
>>
>>139259791
As plants and chemical processes continually sequester co2 into the ground, it will become necessary for humanity to pump and burn hydrocarbons in order to keep plants happy and stave off mass starvation. Capturing CO2 from the atmosphere using electricity is pretty stupid if you need to maximize plant growth across the planet.
>>
>>139235306
>It's a matter of the energy returned on energy invested. A lot of the new sources today suck on that front. If you're expending 2 barrels of oil to extract 1, it doesn't matter how much oil is left in the ground.
You are making the mistake by believing that all energy sources are fungible. A barrel of oil energy equivalent (BOEE) of hydro electric power is not useful for powering an airplane. Just like a BOEE of coal might cost 4 BOEE to convert into an actual barrel of oil, so spending 2 BOEE of coal to drill out 1 barrel of oil is a benefit.

On the same scale my last post uses nuclear power to make liquid fuels. So the energy cost is not very important. What is important is the final product cost. If that process has a cost of lets say 65 euro cents a liter you could replace all oil production for fuel in the EU with that process. The side benefits of giving the electric grid something to do in the low demand periods is another unaccounted savings.

The type of energy is important, and liquid fuels are very valuable. The final cost of a product made by an energy source is vastly more important than the EROI.
>>
>>139226767
the problem is not oil as an energy source. It is oil as a chemical product for plastics and other materials. There is no replacement for oil.
>>
>>139234967
Sometimes i consider renouncing to Amish...
>>
File: CMO.jpg (156KB, 936x663px) Image search: [Google]
CMO.jpg
156KB, 936x663px
>>139261760
>As plants and chemical processes continually sequester co2 into the ground, it will become necessary for humanity to pump and burn hydrocarbons in order to keep plants happy and stave off mass starvation. Capturing CO2 from the atmosphere using electricity is pretty stupid if you need to maximize plant growth across the planet.
The process doesn't use electricity to capture CO2 from the atmosphere. It uses to extract it from water. This makes a closed cycle.

The ongoing coal seam fires in the world are burning something in the range of 500 megatons of coal a year. Not very much in terms of the world CO2 balance, but that is a steady output. If the CO2 PPM drops to a dangerous level we can burn oil, gas and coal for energy to make it up. However right now everyone is losing their shit over CO2. My goal isn't to change CO2 emissions but to get LFTRs deployed world wide.

In the next 50 years we will need another cubic mile of oil equivalent energy every year on top of our current 3.3 CMO budget. The only reasonable solution is nuclear. Nuclear that just happens to be able to meet our liquid fuel needs that can make 1:1 replacements for our current internal combustion engines and fuel distribution networks. Literally no change needed after the refinery state of fuel production. Keep your car, keep your gas stations, keep your distribution trucks and pipes. Keep everything after the refinery.
>>
>>139250722
oil has been going down in price because of shale oil production, which is a highly inefficient process and severely damages the environment, essentially non-sustainable or practical and simply used to drive the prices down. For what reason? I don't know
>>
>>139263441
Quantify 'highly inefficient'.
Show actual damage done by shale oil extraction. Contrast and compare that to damage done by wind turbines (total bird deaths), or solar planels displacing endangered species in desert areas.
Explain how conventional drilling is sustainable and how shale oil is unsustainable.
>>
>>139226767
We have plenty of other technologies that could replace oil for the same or lower cost once economy of scale kicks in.

The only reason that hasn't happened yet is because for now it's cheaper to just keep using oil than to switch all of our infrastructure and vehicles to use other energy sources.
>>
>>139226767
Peak Oil traces its roots back to geologist Marion King Hubbert back in 1956. He presented a paper indicating that any finite resource must have a beginning, middle and end of production and must reach a point of maximum output followed by a decline. Thus technology will keep improving to extract oil at a faster rate which must eventually reach a point of decline. He accurately predicted a decline in oil in the 70’s which marked him as the first to bring the problem of peak oil to public attention. The term “peak oil” refers to the maximum production of oil, not to the falling supply of oil.
>>
>>139264530
So a solution that lets us keep our ICE and all the support infrastructure is vastly superior.
See solution: >>139259791
>>
There is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Truth is that peak oil is an insurmountable problem and humans have been kicking the can down the road for a while now instead of coming to grips with the end of cheap, concentrated energy.
>>
>>139259201
source?
>>
File: universal joint faccia stupita.jpg (19KB, 253x296px) Image search: [Google]
universal joint faccia stupita.jpg
19KB, 253x296px
>>139226767
>Peak Oil
>2017

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%22Peak%20Oil%22
>>
>>139259201
>What happened? Did a bunch of dinosaurs fall into the abandoned well?
Oil from the surrounding area leaked back into the void.
>Did you know that the government gives a tax break to oil companies for the oil they pump out? It is called a "depletion allowance".
Yeah as you extract from a resource it's value is reduced. So if you have 100 tons of ore and you mine 1 ton a year you get to claim 1% of the initial capital cost a year. At the end your resource is depleted and has no value. It's simply an application of depreciation.

Oil is likely produced by both means, abiotic and carbon accumulation.
>>
File: oy-vey-oil.jpg (460KB, 571x731px) Image search: [Google]
oy-vey-oil.jpg
460KB, 571x731px
there are other sources of energy.
>>
Technologies exist to replace oil, we just won't see a paradigm shift until ansolutely necessary as industries dependent in oil milk every last dollar.

We'll probably start synthesising hydrocarbons in an industrial scale before oil runs dry.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.