[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder this a REAL entry level english class (MTSU)

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: bullshit02.png (130KB, 1675x904px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit02.png
130KB, 1675x904px
https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/fake-news-criminal-libel-by-peter-singer-2017-01
This is required reading.
this is a REAL class with this level of indoctrination. This is not in California. This is in Tennessee. nowhere is safe
>>
File: bullshit01.png (31KB, 923x521px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit01.png
31KB, 923x521px
more screenshots of the required reading. Keep in mind these are only articles. No books allowed
>>
File: bullshit 03.png (95KB, 1527x914px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit 03.png
95KB, 1527x914px
This is a freshman level English class.
>>
>>139195984
The real way to do this is to pick out forms of expression from the PAST so that you can talk objectively about it, teach some history, and then maybe tie it to current events.
>>
>>139196239
Jesus Christ, I don't think I can go on
>>
do you even know the course that you are bitching about? it feels like you don't know what you are bitching about. of course you are going to read newspapers and magazine articles when you are learning about RHETORICAL writing. fucking idiot.
>>
File: how can this be real.png (174KB, 720x445px) Image search: [Google]
how can this be real.png
174KB, 720x445px
this cant be real
>>
>>139196642
I took a similar class at a liberal arts college and we learned rhetoric through historical newspapers, pamphlets, magazines, and books. We had two current event articles, and both times the entire class went into a debate about the topic and not the actual rhetoric. It just doesn't mesh well, I've witnessed it.
>>
File: hatespeech..png (98KB, 810x104px) Image search: [Google]
hatespeech..png
98KB, 810x104px
hate speech is not tolerated. this class room is a safe space.
>>
>>139195984
Damn school in Flerder wasnt this bad. Figured Tennessee would be more conservative.
>>
America has failed.
>>
>>139197901
thats right, bend over, the doctor is IN.

kids getting doped up on ADHD meds, sent to these hell holes to be completely emasculated
>>
>>139195984
I would just say I'm not doing this dumb shit and raise hell about it. Make it a huge scene and get the Fox News machine involved.
>>
File: hatespeechful.png (200KB, 872x225px) Image search: [Google]
hatespeechful.png
200KB, 872x225px
reposting for full paragraph
>>
>>139195984
thats the reason i dropped out
my english class was watching john oliver and getting into group therapy sessions
college is for women and betas now
>>
>>139198162
fairly certain the school would try to revoke any scholarships and/or place them on academic probation if hell was raised enough
>>
File: 1503392438478.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1503392438478.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>139195984
Damn. I took the same entry level English course in a California state uni, taught by a dike. Even that wasn't as cucked as this.
>>
>>139195984
Judging by the readings, it looks like the class is asking students to deconstruct the rhetoric of the articles, meaning that students are supposed to find latent biases and underlying themes in the writing beyond the surface level. This makes quite a bit of sense for a writing class, because anything truly persuasive (to people who haven't already drank the Kool-Aid) will be written with both dialectic and rhetoric. Rhetoric is used for a purpose and being able to understand it and its usage is something that pretty well every aspiring writer ought to understand. The content is current and heavily references pop culture because the class is a first year class and it needs to draw the hundred plus kids taking it into the material.

I'm not sure what OP is whinging about besides the fact that he doesn't understand what rhetoric is because he's either an idiot or a STEM major who hasn't taken a liberal arts class since high school.

Note that the previous sentence was what you might call rhetoric. It's meant to incite emotion in the reader in order to elicit a response.

Before you start complaining "BUT IT'S AN EXPOSITORY WRITING CLASS, RHETORIC HAS NO RIGHT TO BE USED IN EXPOSITION!" you should take note that even Aristotle recognized that dialectic alone can't persuade everybody.
>>
>>139197006
>both times the entire class went into a debate about the topic and not the actual rhetoric

Shitty instructor who wasn't moderating the discussion. Granted, few instructors are good at moderating discussion (especially at the undergrad level), and TAs are entirely useless for it because they barely understand the reason why the material is being taught in the first place.

>>139198309
I'd kick a limp-wristed vaper out of my class just on principle. Aside from that, the rule is set out for a classroom, not a Laotian subterranean eel cooking forum. If you're willing to allow your classroom to devolve into a raging insult-fest, you're not fit to be an instructor. In my experience, if you raise racy issues in class, as long as you do it respectfully and eloquently, you won't get thrown out. People will WANT to argue with you. If you're not a retard, it's a good chance to show the strength of your opinions and your conviction to them. If you're a limp-wristed vaping cucklord, you're not going to say anything in class anyway, so why the fuck does "MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH" bother you?
>>
>>139200224
>Aside from that, the rule is set out for a classroom, not a Laotian subterranean eel cooking forum. If you're willing to allow your classroom to devolve into a raging insult-fest, you're not fit to be an instructor.

the problem is that hate speech is a nebulous ideal that is constantly used to suppress "wrong think"

also, if the class was seeking to deconstruct rhetoric, why choose ONLY articles and ONLY sources from a particular cult of ideals. why not analyze a range of topics and sources and biases?

the argument that the course is trying to help deconstruct bias is unlikely if they are choosing only sources from one side of the cultural narrative.
>>
>>139198321
spoken like a true cuck
>>
>>139200625
i mean, is it better to take the states money and give it back to the bullshit they are funding or use your own money?

oh right... the states money is our money... fuck... theres no winning. wat do
>>
File: 1444779861697.jpg (437KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444779861697.jpg
437KB, 1280x960px
>>139195984

I took my English and other humanities prereqs at a community college in a conservative city, was genuinely the most pozzed thing I had ever seen round these parts.

They didn't even try to hide it. My essays had to be about shit that was just assumed, like "why is feminism the greatest gift to the free world?" and "How can we reduce police violence in black communities?"

Maybe I'm a cuck for writing like a hall of fame SJW but I'm not gonna sacrifice my future, which is certainly dependent on my GPA (grad school) to stick it to some Marxist professor who isn't gonna change their mind from some undergrad's paper anyway.
>>
>>139201050
if you repeat a lie long enough... yadda yadda yaddda.
>>
>>139195984
I live in Tennessee and it has been cucked for a while. Lived in Nashville and live now near it and it has completely changed to a mini california.
>>
While it takes raw human spirit build a great civilization, rejection/intolerance of raw human spirit destroys it. (Think: event of forced contingency)
We are headed toward the death of individuality for ritualistic social norms on some 'The Giver' type shit*
>>
>>139200519
It's the narrative that students will already be familiar with, which is why it's effective at leading people into understanding rhetoric.

Student sees music video. Student reads write up on music video that reinforces one specific facet of the song or video. Student agrees with the article because it confirms the student's existing biases. Instructor explains rhetoric to student. Student realizes that what they read was working as an echo chamber and attempts to understand their own biases and the biases of the writer better.

It's a learning experience. It's a first year university course. Baby steps have to be taken.

>>139195984
>https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/fake-news-criminal-libel-by-peter-singer-2017-01

So, I read the article and it does raise an interesting point about the law surrounding libel (specifically criminal libel). As a reader analyzing the rhetoric of the article, what can you gather from it? Is the writer a left-wing, Hillary-supporting, child-raping cuck? Are they a law and order conservative? Are they a journalist who believes that private citizens should feel the wrath of criminal charges while media companies peddle their dogmas unfettered? Is there a more nuanced perspective?

Education is about learning and asking questions. As someone who did a double major in English and philosophy, I can honestly say that I never felt pressured into any specific ideology by any of my course readings. If anything, critically analyzing texts made me far more skeptical about whatever I read if I had a previous opinion about it. Yes, I did read a lot of drivel. But it was easy to recognize that it was garbage very quickly (most of it doesn't even require more than a cursory glance).

I'm not saying that there isn't a liberal bias in academia, there most certainly is. But if there is any ideological indoctrination, it's not being shoved down the throats of students. It's an entirely passive kind of movement.
>>
>>139201708
this will be my last bump for the night.

I agree completely, but we wont reach 'the giver'. ever. at least I hope not.

its more likely that people start, like they already are, begging the government to solve all their problems, feeding the state power due to the void in the value structure.

communism here we come. TOOT TOOT all aboard the mass murder train!
>>
>>139201741
Liberal "indoctrination" in academia is a passive-aggressive push towards certain material, that's about it. You read a lot about (insert liberal ideology here) and very little about (insert conservative ideology here). For the most part in undergraduate studies, you read primary source material on specific ideologies, concepts, or systems that you've already heard of before in some vague sense but never read about in an academic setting (cultural relativism, marxism, post-modernism, deconstruction, and dialectic and rhetoric). You're rarely given secondary sources that deconstruct these ideas in any meaningful way, much less critique them.

If there is anything that might be considered underhandedly nefarious in this, it's that the dialectic of many Frankfurt School theorists is never questioned and is typically taken as fact. This is largely because liberal arts departments work under the basic understandings of post-modernism. Everything is relative in these settings. It's the reason why you can bullshit your way through just about any essay if you can spin your web thick enough. But you need to understand that postmodernism isn't left-wing ideology to a tee; relativism can be used just as staunchly to defend right-wing ideologies (despite how antithetical some of you might believe that to be).
>>
>>139201389
TN's always been cucked, it's the only Confederate state to celebrate Lincoln and also the only one to escape military Reconstruction.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.