[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death of tradition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_20170824_190501.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_190501.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
>Be me, Britbong visiting Spain with family
>Owners of the apartment we are renting offer to meet us for a drink
>One of us expresses an interest in pottery
>The apartment owners offer to take us to a potter at the edge of town
>The place is an old shack at the top of a hill, its crumbling exterior hidden by grapevines
>Somewhat underwhelming, it looks as though a hermit might live here
>Greeted by an old, distant looking man
>I notice a familiar sadness in his eyes
>Shake his hand and walk into the place
>It's full of beautiful work, I am quite impressed
>Upon hearing of our interest, his eyes suddenly light up
>He offers to show us a demonstration of his work
>In 20 seconds flat he is able to make beautiful pots and paint and etch patterns into them while they are still on the potting wheel
>Literal magic fingers
>Within 10 minutes he has made an entire tray full of intricate and beautiful clay pots ready to be fired
>With his limited knowledge of English, he attempts to tell us some things about himself
>His family have been potters for 6 generations
>All around the place are old newspapers featuring his family and their work
>They clearly used to be very large and popular in the town, possibly even the province
>There is generations worth of work stored about the place
>On the wall is a huge mural painted on ceramic tiles
>Also on the wall are ageing photos of dozens of children all covered in clay wearing aprons
>The old potter had a wife and two sons
>His wife was dead
>His two sons were both lured to work in Germany by large corporations, despite his efforts to teach them the family arts
>He hasn't heard from them or seen them for years
>He adopted another son after his wife died years later
>His adopted son initially took an interest
>Later left like his two biological sons
>Suddenly it dawns on me
>He is last in his family line of potters

Post getting too long, will continue ITT

Pic related, the gorgeous craftsmanship of the potter
>>
File: IMG_20170824_195912.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_195912.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
>There is no one to carry on the tradition
>No one to carry on his legacy
>He is left to count down his remaining days as a hermit on the edge of town
>His only business from the odd intrigued tourist
>His only visitors in fact
>When he is gone, his shack will be left to crumble to the ground
>Everything 6 generations of his family built will be left to be reduced to dust
>6 generations of family tradition die with him
>Feelsbadman.jpg
>The heirs to the potting 'throne' were abducted by the allure of hook-noses waving around paper with numbers on it

Globalism is killing tradition. I have witnessed first hand what we fight for. We fight for men like this potter and his family, so that they can one day live in peace with their tradition and leave behind its treasures.

This one's to you, old man
>>
>>138878247
>raise children to value "hard work" because "hard work makes money"
>forget to share enjoyment of work with children
>forget to teach children WHY you work hard
>basically use the technology around you to avoid spending time with them
>wonder why your children only care about money

fairly common problem op
>>
File: FB_IMG_1502530478229.jpg (17KB, 429x429px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1502530478229.jpg
17KB, 429x429px
>mfw
>>
What's with gay British electricity... you tards even screwed that up
>>
>>138878953
That's an EU plug, I took that when I got it before returning home
>>
>>138878953
is it true that burgeria's electrical outlets are too weak to power electric kettles so you all microwave your water
>>
>>138878324

Eurocucks are doomed, we are making millions from tourists that come from cuck nations to tell us they have no culture or traditions.

Craftsmanship is booming and everything is well.

Here, ill sell you some small copper wheelbarows full of deep cave salt.
>>
>>138878247
Poor man, it must be awful to see your families livelyhood crumble away before your very eyes.
>>
>>138878247
none needs clay pots anymore you closed minded cuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ
>>
>>138878247
>He hasn't heard from [his two sons] or seen them for years

I gotta think some of the blame for that is on him.
>>
fuck
>>
>>138878247
Whatever. Traditions are pointless.
>>
>>138878247
No matter if or when tradition dies, just inject some nostalgia in as much as possible people. Undoom /pol/ and everything you stand for
>>
File: That_Feel.jpg (51KB, 680x460px) Image search: [Google]
That_Feel.jpg
51KB, 680x460px
>>138878247

Golly! next the wheelwrights will go out of business, followed by the 12th generation home slide-rule manufactures. NOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>138878247
Globalism won my friend.Be the pottery guy is not seen as a prof of prestige or whatever. we all wanna be slaves with white colars. One of the reasons our traditions are dying.
>>
>>138879592
>Implying i would buy useless shit like that.
Stick to cocaine, jungle-nigger.
>>
>>138878247
At the very center of western civilization, lies the nuclear family
Without this prime ingredient, all other traditions are meaningless
>>
>>138880053
Kys
>>
>>138878247
His sons wouldn't be able to raise a family working as a couple of pot dealers in the middle of nowhere, least of all in a country with ridiculous amounts of unemployment. In one way they're abandoning a tradition, and in another they're having to adapt to keep their family lineage intact.
>>
>>138878247
This is happening here as well, especially with the blacks. they take pride in throwing away their culture and becoming western. A lot of the traditional art and crafting they used to do is disappearing, most of the 'zulu art' and shit you see in tourist shops are fakes now. even lots of practical things are disappearing. I know we like to mock blacks for living in mudhuts, but proper mudhuts are pretty comfy, the wals are made from a wooden frame filled with rocks andmud, the roof is made from grass (i think its called thatch in english?) and the floor from a mixture of water and cow shit. doesnt sound that great, but its warm in winter, cool in the summer heat, smoke from a fire goes through the grass yet it keeps rain out, cowshit floors are hard ans concrete, lasts generations and is smooth as fuck, they use dyes made from all kinds of plants and minerals to colour the mud and make patters on the walls.

Now? only 2 people (both old) on my farm can still make these huts, the rest make it from corrugated iron, which lasts about a year before rusting, is hot in summer, cold in winter, and just generally shit. they dont even know how to make a floor anymore, just living on the dirt

Other than mud huts, I havent seen a nigger make any traditional africa food in years, its mostly just western shit now, none of them know how to harvest and cook wild spinich anymore, how to clean and cook offal, when I want to make some I either have to do it myself or get the 1 old woman who can still clean it to do it for me.

all the children are leaving to live in shantitowns and work in 'IT' now. all my workers that are left are over 40 yo.
>>
>>138879370
I just use a kettle on the stove. If we can power a microwave we should be able to power an electric kettle, no?
>>
File: p3mcp.jpg (20KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
p3mcp.jpg
20KB, 412x351px
Fuck. The same is happening here, and with a perverse twist. We get to see on tv some of the 'new generation' of craftsmen. They make subpar shit with a modern variation like "ill make X but as big as i can" or "ill make Y, BUT IN PINK AND WITH GLITTERS"
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (12KB, 231x363px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
12KB, 231x363px
>>138878247
>lured to Germany
>>
File: Goat_vs_Child.gif (1MB, 295x214px) Image search: [Google]
Goat_vs_Child.gif
1MB, 295x214px
>>138878247
Fuck this globalism and high technology... how is a slide-rule maker suppose to survive with all these "electronic calculators" everywhere. Will no one think about the slide-rule manufacturers!!!
>>
>>138880053
Your precious Union will crumble because your to busy sucking migrant cock.
>>
File: 2362297.png (534KB, 736x708px) Image search: [Google]
2362297.png
534KB, 736x708px
>>138880053
We'll see, damp rag. We'll see...
>>
>>138878324
>Dont adapt to changing times
>continue making cheap crap that only tourists will buy
>Kids leave realizing there is no future making cheap crap for tourists
>complain about changing times cause people dont want to fill their houses with cheap trinkets.
>>
>>138878324
>>138878247
the liberals will tell you
"that's not REE-A-LLISS-TIC""
when you say that western artisanship and tradition should be preserved, let alone embraced
Where were you in Spain? in the NW and Northern coast you will find some of the most medieval-tier western european villages and artisans anywhere in the world.
PUXA ASTURIES
>>
>>138878247
Also how you comment that his sons went to go build Germany, consider that countries like italy, spain, greece and portugal have universal education that is some of the most advanced in the world. YET, they all go to WORK IN DEUTSCHLAND
the Germans are draining europe by making themselves the drain. I would be very afraid to be in germany
>>
>>138878324
Lol... I didn't read a first.. to many words

We have a few stores and run into this endlessly. Snowflakes are blind to endless opportunities. They were weened on a Chinese big box. The diy or maker crap is such a joke, snowflakes tend to reinvent tried and true items. There is no internet glory in the crusty shed.
>>
File: artisan1_1_1300[1].jpg (313KB, 1000x1122px) Image search: [Google]
artisan1_1_1300[1].jpg
313KB, 1000x1122px
>six generations
>never figured out how to make a name or professional product out of his craft
>never gave his children any incentive to carry on his craft

>six generations
>all you have to show for yourself is a tiny shack and mediocre skills
>isn't it sad that there's no one chaining themselves to this sinking ship?

"Artisan" skills are very popular these days. From food to decorations, even practical items like watches, people across the world appreciate handmade, personalized work preformed by artisans. One dummy in Spain that never figured out how to gain customers or fund a proper workshop isn't sad or indicative of the "death of tradition."

You just met some old mediocre artist that is so unpleasant even his sons don't want to visit him.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.