[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Wyoming have the highest suicide rate in America?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: Wyoming.png (75KB, 756x550px) Image search: [Google]
Wyoming.png
75KB, 756x550px
>>
>>138760003
nobody lives there so probably skews the numbers
>>
>>138760091
That's not really how statistics work but whatever.
>>
File: Wyomingsign.jpg (175KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wyomingsign.jpg
175KB, 1600x1200px
>>138760003
>nobody lives there, which skews numbers
>fair amount of native americans and their suicide rate is higher
>cold as fuck, which increases suicide rates
>high altitude climates induce feelings of both euphoria and deep depression depending on the person
>everyone has a gun which makes suicide attempts far more likely to succeed (I'm progun but this is just a fact)
still the best state in the country though
highest gun ownership per capita probably in the world (besides like active warzones), also voted for trump more percentage wise than anywhere else in the country
>>
>>138760003
Native Americans.
>>
>>138760328
Hopefully they all continue to shoot themselves in the head
>>
>>138760328
Wouldn't be surprised if the tiny dating pool plays a part as well.
That's why Wyoming was the fist state to let women vote lmao
>>
>>138760003
Drive through Wyoming and just try not to kill yourself. It's the single most boring patch of North America.
>>
>>138760003
Because one guy killed himself there 10 years ago.
But there is only like 10 people in the state.
Thus: over the last decade, 10% of Wyoming residents have committed suicide.
>>
>>138760456
>>138760328

Whites have higher suicide rates than Native Americans.
>>
Indians. We have the same problem in Alaska. High suicide, alcoholism, etc. Remove natives from the equation and it's just a normal state. When our local news does stories on suicide I ask if they can break it down by race and they say no.
>>
>>138760003
prolly their a buncha self concerned narcissists always telling themselves [spoiler]WHY OH ME[/spoiler]
>>
>>138760255
2 people live in Madeupistan. 1 commits suicide. 50% suicide rate omfg!!!
>>
>>138760328
That landscrape looks more boring than Denmark. Pretty low imo.
>>
>>138760723
Only because they don't count alcohol overdoses as suicide.
>>
File: 1503004488056.jpg (9KB, 233x294px) Image search: [Google]
1503004488056.jpg
9KB, 233x294px
>>138760255
>>
When is rural and suburban retards leaf going to stop by in this thread?
>>
Cause nobody fucking lives there. Your all alone.
>>
File: windriverrange.jpg (3MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
windriverrange.jpg
3MB, 4928x3264px
>>138760871
????
this is one of wyoming's more underwhelming areas of public land, the wind river range
it's one of the most beautiful parts of the world, man
>>138760723
(citation needed)
>>
>>138761111
>>138760957
>>138760723
>>138760456

Suicide Rates by Race/Ethnicity
In 2015, the highest U.S. suicide rate (15.1) was among Whites and the second highest rate (12.6) was among American Indians and Alaska Natives (Figure 5). Much lower and roughly similar rates were found among Asians and Pacific Islanders (6.4), and Blacks (5.6).

Note that the CDC records Hispanic origin separately from the primary racial or ethnic groups of White, Black, American Indian or Alaskan Native, and Asian or Pacific Islander, since individuals in all of these groups may also be Hispanic.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
>>
>>138761111
fuck i'd love to do some trekking, wild camping there. are there any dangerous beasts?
>>
>>138761926
bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (55KB, 572x422px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
55KB, 572x422px
>>138760091
>>138760328
>>138760812
>>138760999
>uninformed idiots
Wyoming PER CAPITA has the highest rate of suicide in the US.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/hea_sui_percap-health-suicides-per-capita
>>
>>138760629
Beta males destroy civilization
>>
I lived there for about a year and got the fuck out. It's the wind. 70mph wind on a nice day. Being outside in that sucks, and being inside you get to hear it blowing all day. I left before I killed myself.
>>
>>138760328
>everyone has a gun which makes suicide attempts far more likely to succeed (I'm progun but this is just a fact)
>im retarded the post
having tall buildings does too.
>>
rural retards
>>
File: 93 GORILLION_MRW.gif (3MB, 377x372px) Image search: [Google]
93 GORILLION_MRW.gif
3MB, 377x372px
>>138760328
>also voted for trump more percentage wise than anywhere else in the country

no wonder they're suicidal
>>
File: windriverlake.jpg (1MB, 1818x1228px) Image search: [Google]
windriverlake.jpg
1MB, 1818x1228px
>>138761476
Fine. I still think this likely fails to factor in alcohol poisoning, drug related stuff etc, but point taken. Still, my other points stand.
>>138761926
I've done a fair bit myself, it's great. Bears are the biggest worry in terms of beasts-- it's practically mandatory to bring bear spray and/or a high caliber handgun when hiking those parts of the west. Also, fuckton of mosquitos in the lower altitude areas, so bring a face net and long sleeve stuff. No need to worry about ticks though, which is nice.
>>138762353
How does this negate what I said? Conditions leading to higher suicide rates generally, plus Wyoming's unique lack of a large city (Alaska has Anchorage, Montana has Billings etc) leads to both a lower population and larger population, making the lower population a factor in the higher per capita suicide rate.
>>
>>138762642
Meant "both lower population and larger isolation"
>>
>>138762353
>washington nowhere near the list
>lists some of the most beautiful states with happy & content people
this list is bullshit. Even if it had included suicides from Natives on reservations, even though that would be disingenuous, I doubt people in the country off themselves more often than people from the city who lose their souls well before their life
>>
>>138760683
>uninformed opinion on the statistics

>>138760957
>implying whites don't drink themselves to death in the rocky mountain region or anywhere else for that matter

>>138760768
>hur it the injuns

>>138760003
Why do you think so many persons in this thread full of so much misinformation and denial OP?
>>
>>138762494
>the ease of pulling a trigger and the comfort of instantaneous death somehow equates to the dread of knowing that you'll fall, completely helpless, for several agonizing seconds before you die
???
>>
>>138762494
What he said was fairly even-keeled, he also noted that he's still pro-gun.
Guns, tall buildings, and rail transportation all increase successful suicide rates- that can't really be disputed- they all also offer benefits that far outweigh that cost.
I think the other anon literally meant just that.
You've gotten a bit too paranoid and you're seeing enemies everywhere.
>>
File: unemployment.gif (33KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
unemployment.gif
33KB, 960x720px
>>138760003
pic related, while unemployment is not high, there is a sudden change in employment status in the state.
>>
The wind
>>
>>138763078
jesus christ that is the worst color coding ever
>>
>>138762642
Which syllable of PER CAPITA do you fail to understand you tremendous bowl of casserole? Statistically the statistics don't lie. Your above post is valid except for the bullshit about the statistics being skewed. They aren't. Facts don't lie.
>>
>>138760091
Do you understand the concept of proportionality? Dumb burger nigger.
>>
>>138760003
It's the Canada of America.
>>
>>138762697
>being in so much denial about the facts that you pull personal beliefs out of you ass
wew lad.
>>
Because it can clearly see what the rest of America has become.
>>
>>138760003
Nobody wants to live boxed in.
>>
>>138760003
Because most of the state looks like a nuclear wasteland and it's cold as fuck
>>
>>138763195
>>138763329
the conditions leading to greater suicide rates (cold, high altitude, greater amount of native americans as opposed to less suicidal minorities), are common to several western states. But Wyoming, unique in the west and of all states, doesn't have any cities above 100,000 people, which puts it over the top. These cities help by decreasing the feelings of social isolation among their people as well as making the sample size (population) larger, dampening the impact of rural sucides.
What I and the other anons are saying, I think, is that there's no reason to believe that a man in rural wyoming is any more/less suicidal than a man in rural montana or north dakota, but there isn't any sort of urban wyoming, which makes this seem the case, statistically.
>>
>>138763369
Noice 10/10
>>
File: Wyoming-Flag.jpg (94KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Wyoming-Flag.jpg
94KB, 1500x1000px
>>138760638
>yellowstone
>grand tetons
>devil's tower
>big horns
>badlands

You're a triple dumbass.

Allso, fuck off.
We're full.
>>
>>138760638
>he hasn't driven through Nebraska
>>
>>138763421
This right here is quite valid. The conservative life of the wild west is dying. The liberal infection has reached the remote heartlands. Imagine a husband raising a family and hoping for the best only to find out his internet indoctrinated children are becoming fluid gender, nigger culture infected assholes lead by MSM and planning to gtfo and move to the big city asap. His wife is addicted to the TV and facebook. The economy is sour in his area because his and older generations couldn't pull their heads out of their ass to prepare for a modern locally economy. He probably hasn't locally made a living wage in a few decades if he even makes a living wage anyway he can. His relatives and old friends are scatted to the winds across the country chasing the american lie. Drugs, alcohol and suicide have already claimed many of his local buddies over the years. Why even live is the only thought that keeps rattling around in his head besides where did it all go wrong.
>>
>>138762504
>>138762608
>>138763175
Kek, knew you'd come
>>
>>138760003
Cold weather and full of boring white people. Instant recipe for suicide.
>>
>>138764040
>basing an argument of statistics being skewed on your gut feeling on the matter
I respect you thinking into this matter but you couldn't be more wrong. Cities are more socially isolating because they are full of people that are unconnected and many that give no fucks about the person next to them. Just because a 1,000,000 people occupy a small patch of dirt doesn't negate isolation. Small towns are the opposite even when remote. People know each other and interact. There is an actual community there or was in the case of small towns which are dying. Its not social isolation causing suicide in places like wyoming. Its the death of the area's culture, local economy failing and modern degeneracy from cities infecting the area that is at issue.
>>
>>138764742
couldn't resist

Shiet, if I was a right wing retard who got cucked hard by voting GOP all my life, I'd kill myself too
>>
>>138765291
>Western Texas

Jesus wept.
>>
>>138760584
Agreed, fuck those drunken degenerate Native Americans
>>
>>138765480
>among non hispanic whites
>>
>>138765582
First day speaking English, my ugly foreign friend?
>>
>>138765186
I agree with your general idea; there's certainly a lot of reason for more rural, conservative people to despair.
I'd also argue that a lot of wyoming isn't small towns, though, it's houses and families on relatively large plots of land extremely far away from each other and from any sort of "town" environment. Also, there's a large influx of men from elsewhere in the country looking to get jobs and flee degeneracy (hence /pol/'s fixation with the mountain west) that likely creates a sort of bizarre crossover culture between /r9k/ and the Lone Ranger
no doubt that contributes, too
>>
>>138765698
You dropped out of grade school before they taught you how to read ya fucking retard? >>138765291
>>
>>138765852
I can see that. I think some of what is going on is that persons in these areas even if spaced out and remote would still know and interact face to face with their neighbors frequently back in the "good old days." Now that TV, internet and social media has replaced so much community interaction persons in these areas probably rely more and more on technology to keep them connected. Its a big mistake as electronic communication and social networking is no replacement for actual face to face interaction. Whether in rural areas on mega cities electronic communication and social networking is true isolation.
>>
>>138762948

Liberals only use "feels" instead of science.

•"In 2014, the rate of Alaska Native males that died by suicide was 50.9
suicides per 100,000, nearly four times the national average."

http://dhss.alaska.gov/SuicidePrevention/Documents/pdfs_sspc/AKSuicideStatistics2015.pdf
>>
>>138760638
You meant North Dakota. Know what the state tree of North Dakota is? A: The telephone pole.
>>
>>138767344
Agreed. This thread is full of liberal city dwellers talking out their ass concerning rural living. Fact of the matter is the old rural conservative ways of life are dying. Modern urban liberalism and degeneracy is taking root everywhere. What it comes down to is life simply isn't worth living anymore for those that scribe to a traditional conservative non degenerate lifestyle.
Its ironic /pol/ will rally on all day about degeneracy, mgtow, woman are evil, leaders are corrupt, ect and then turn around and shit in threads like this one where the actual effects of those topics have light shed on them.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.