[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Protestantism

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

File: john-calvin-martin-luther.jpg (169KB, 530x323px) Image search: [Google]
john-calvin-martin-luther.jpg
169KB, 530x323px
Is the Reformation the most cancerous thing that ever happened to Christianity? It's its fault we got:

>Wars across Europe
>Christian disunity
>Thousands of denominations
>Lots of conflicting Bible versions and translations
>Several heresies
>Salem Witch Trials
>Prolonged slavery (practically abolished in Catholic Latin America years before)
>Christian Zionism
>The Prosperity Gospel
>Young Earth Creationism and bible literalism in general
>Liberal theology (a response to protestant fundamentalism)
>Female clergy
>Gay churches
>Black churches
>Snake-handling and poison-drinking
>Blabbing nonsense ("speaking in tongues")
>Shitty Christian media (music, movies, comics, etc)
>Soulless churches without art
>Televangelists
>>
>>138387638
yes but it was unavoidable. Once the printing press hit the scene it was all over for the roman church
>>
>>138387638
Torquemada did nothing wrong.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1503166409638.jpg (29KB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1503166409638.jpg
29KB, 960x520px
>>138387638
>>
>>138387638
>what are indulgences and catholic heresy
>>
2BeeFaire it was basically a looting operation by landed nobility to rip off thousand years of church value (mostly land and art)
The theological justification came after
>>
>~4th Century AD
>"St." Augustine perverts the Church by having Jewish orgies
>Reverses 300-fucking-years of anti-Judaism doctrine from the Vatican
>CryptoJews/Donmëh enter and rise through the ranks of the Church for 2 centuries

This happens:
https://youtu.be/isskmxLG28k
>>
>>138387638
And are you implying the KJV isnt literally true scientifically?

Wtf (((anon)))
>>
>>138387638
If you know anything about history you'd know that without the Reformation the religion would have died.

The Christianity of the Reinnsance was basically Paganism under a very thin veil. During it's later stages you had people like Bruno that started putting Pagan thinkers as higher than the Christian thinkers and advocating the New Testament be removed from the religious cannon entirly.
>>
>>138387638
>the most successful religion.
>>
>>138387638
So you would rather have a fat ass pope who does not even believe in Christianity and only wants a bunch of sheeple kings following his whim. Why don't you try thinking about Christianity instead of LARPing about it for a change. Just because some Protestant wings have gone off track does not mean that the reformation did not free Christians from the Catholic Church.

PS: The Catholic Church was taken over by the liberation theology and you are being led by a cuck.
>>
File: 1502255205105.jpg (3MB, 1696x2136px) Image search: [Google]
1502255205105.jpg
3MB, 1696x2136px
>>138389346
Basically this. I can't find the source but you can find some the Reformation's noble supporters coming from the disaffected Electors of the HRE, landowners who had disputes over property with local bishops and lords who were really hurting for money.
>>
>>138389346
>>138389793
Theological justification came first under Luthur and many of the proto-protestant movements such as Peter Waldo and John Wycliffe. The theological arguments just gained traction because leaders saw the potential political benefit.
>>
File: IMG_7852.jpg (112KB, 730x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7852.jpg
112KB, 730x516px
>>138387638
Catholics are Muslim tier
>>
>>138387638
>>138389457
Jews infiltrated the catholic church and perverted it with the selling of indulgences and acceptance of usury
Luther hated the jews so much he made a new religion trying to reclaim what they ruined
>>
Yes.
>>
File: Scofield1.jpg (32KB, 564x828px) Image search: [Google]
Scofield1.jpg
32KB, 564x828px
>>138387638
Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli were actually good.
Protestantism went off the rails with Wesley, Arminius, Scofield etc.
Now you could certainly argue they softened people up to questioning authority, but at the same time, they triggered the counter-reformation without which, Catholicism would be 10 times more corrupt than it is now.

I don't think this is an irreconcilable split. Here's an analogy
catholicism = fascism
protestantism = ancapism
modern evangelicalism = open borders pot smoking lolbertarianism

Theologically sound, pre-Scofield, "sinners-in-the-hands-of-an-angry-God" protestantism is just as "hard" as catholicism, but you've never been exposed to it properly.
YRYL: go read about C.I.Scofield, then realize 90% of modern protestants have started following him.
>>
>>138387638
The reformation was a response to indulgences and vatican corruption.
Blame Borgia.
>>
>>138387638
Check out Luther's book "On The Jews And Their Lies" and come back

sage
>>
>>138392121
This
Blame catholic kings instead
>>
>>138387638
Catholics have a shit-ton of problems

>>Gay churches
Faggotry is minor problem compared to all the sexual child abuse that has been going on in the Catholic Church for centuries

>Prolonged slavery (practically abolished in Catholic Latin America years before)
Not only that but accompanied with massive amounts of church and government-enforced racial mixing as well, with the countries becoming Mestizo shitholes

>>Snake-handling and poison-drinking
>>Blabbing nonsense ("speaking in tongues")
>>Shitty Christian media (music, movies, comics, etc)
>>Televangelists
>>Thousands of denominations
More of an American problem than a protestant one. Even then the USA is miles ahead over Latin America.
>>
The reformation separated Christian tradition from the degenerate Pagan tradition that survived from Rome in the Catholic church.
>>
https://youtu.be/kd66KXIbAjc
>>
>>138387638
Protestantism is the final redpill
>>
No, the Second Vatican Council is because it managed to create a new religion and bamboozle most catholics into adhering to it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_hUdRKi4o
>>
>>138387638
too frustrating & long to explain but you neet faggots have the time
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0
tldw OP is a either ignorant, a liar, or some species of faggot
>>
File: john_paul_ii_kisses_koran.jpg (71KB, 620x340px) Image search: [Google]
john_paul_ii_kisses_koran.jpg
71KB, 620x340px
>>138387638

It spawned from the shit that is Catholicism, which is heretical itself. The fruit didn't fall far from the tree.
>>
>>138397383
Christianity itself is a heresy from Judaism.

Jesus never literally called himself God. The New Testament is fanfic.
>>
File: protestant.jpg (213KB, 897x673px) Image search: [Google]
protestant.jpg
213KB, 897x673px
>>138387638
>bowing to the interests of the german princes (take that, pope!)
>contributing to the concept of the omnipotent state (Obrigkeitstaat)
And the greatest sin: Birth of the liberalism.
How ironic that Luther himself has forsaken the Tradition and the Reason (through sola fide). All what it took to do that, was some monk probably suffering from bipolar disorder.
>>
File: 1470219402464-1.png (203KB, 498x678px) Image search: [Google]
1470219402464-1.png
203KB, 498x678px
>>
>>138398129
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:9
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>138398129
>muh talking snake is real
>>
>>138390645
And look where Protestants are at now.
>>
>>138387638
All those problems came from American Christian Exceptionalism.
The real cancer was your pic related, and Americans.
>>
>>138394711
>implying that Protestants don't have similar problems but redirect attention to the Catholic Church so they don't have as many prying eyes on them
>>
>>138398257
ah
> and the state education which was initially proposed by Melanchton, resulted in fierce fights with catholic schooling, independent form the state.
Prussia is the finest example of lutheran legacy, where individual completly lost his autonomy from the state. Natsoc was just a round 2.
>>
>>138387638
The plague was by far the most damaging thing to ever happen to the church, it paved the way for everything else, reformation included. There's entire books on the subject.
>>
File: Pope_Pius_X_(Retouched).jpg (103KB, 421x586px) Image search: [Google]
Pope_Pius_X_(Retouched).jpg
103KB, 421x586px
>>138387638
The reason the Reformation was the most cancerous thing that ever happened to Christianity was because of how it changed the entire mentality of the west to something pliable to an ideology like Communism. If the Reformation didn't happen then the French Revolution wouldn't have happened either and then the West wouldn't have been in decline. There were problems in the Catholic church but it provided something stable to a naturally unstable continent, the Reformation splintered that and today has it has practically been flattened (think Pope Francis...). The loss of the Catholic church has been one of Europe's greatest and it is one that I am sad to see gone, probably forever.

Plus, old popes were fashy as fuck.
>>
>>138398861
lol, you have no idea what you're talking about, take your larp flag elswere.
>>
>>138398257
This.
Catholics are responsible for a lot, to be sure, but Protestants and their "openness" have lead the modern world to the state of which it is now.
>>
>>138387638
>People freeing themselves from the bondage of others.
>Cancer

FFS why don't you go kiss the feet of your fake messenger called the Pope.

Real Christians only bend the knee the God.
>>
>>138398707
Yeah look at them now. They're the only ones standing up to the NWO. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>138399718
BS, we didn't conquer half the world and breed with them. We bought land from the Crown of England and farmed.
>>
>Muh faith alone
>Muh works are nothing

15Beware of false prophets, who come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16By their fruits you shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit, and the evil tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit, shall be cut down, and shall be cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them.
>>
>>138399595
>paying some fat, old pedo-fucks for your sins to be forgiven

>>138399718
>Protestants and their work ethics have lead the modern world to the state of which it is now.
ftfy
>>
>>138387638
> Google list of conflicts in Europe

> Protestantism increased wars
Nop
>>
>>138400811
The church's purpose wasn't to make money. You suffer from that same autistic libertarian logic that twists any form of taxation into literal thievery.
>>
>>138401387

I'll let you know op

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe

Europe is a tiny land mass compared to East Asia yet Europe's wars list is about 20x as long starting from 5k bc
>>
>>138401635
>The church's purpose wasn't to make money
lol
>>
>>138402201
>No u
fuck off
>>
Thomas More did nothing wrong
>>
>>138402201
The church really didn't start as a money siphon.
It became one as it grew corrupt, like every other human organisation left unchecked over time.
That does not defer from the original intent.
>>
>>138402708
>The church really didn't start as a money siphon
I know. It also didn't start with a pope
>>
Believing is private, church is a system of power. That's why it called official religions.

They always divided, from the people who not gained in power inside this system. The brand name is convertible but needed just to br against smthg..

If you trust and/or belive in god then you don't need a religion.

If you not feeling holy
you'r loneliness says
you are sinned
(L Cohen)
>>
>>138390645
At first Luther was really friendly with Jews, but, his trouble with them began when he learned Hebrew well enough to read the Pentateuch for himself.
>>
>>138387638
Fuck the church, learn to read.
>>
File: 1u0ylf.jpg (57KB, 656x480px) Image search: [Google]
1u0ylf.jpg
57KB, 656x480px
Im protestant AMA
>>
>>138387638
From the perspective a VERY conservative Protestant Lutheran.

(1/2)

>Wars across Europe
Unfortunate and regrettable. I hate it when my brothers in Christ war with one another.

>Christian disunity
While I disagree with some of the doctrine and practices of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, I have great respect for them and their followers and have even attended mass before.

>Thousands of denominations
It was never the intention of Martin Luther for this to happen.

>Lots of conflicting Bible versions and translations
This was bound to happen anyway with the invention of the printing press. This is hardly the fault of Protestantism. It is your responsibility as a Christian to be vigilant with the word of God.

>Several heresies
The Lutherans could say the same about Catholicism and Orthodoxy. We have more in common things that we agree on than that we disagree on.

>Salem Witch Trials
The Catholic Church's burnings at the stake of those who dared to have a dissenting opinion. I'm not saying this justifies it, just that both branches have blood on their hands. I'm not convinced this the fault of Protestantism.

How is this the fault of Protestantism?

>Christian Zionism
Not every protestant support Israel.

>The Prosperity Gospel
Many Protestants disagree with likes of Joel Osteen.

>Young Earth Creationism and bible literalism in general
Again, this is not something protestants all agree on.

>Liberal theology (a response to protestant fundamentalism)
Have you seen the current Pope? This isn't an issue isolated to Protestantism. Groups like the "Missouri Synod" are very conservative in their theology.
>>
>>138404872

(2/2)
>Female clergy
I don't believe females should hold a position in clergy except under very outstanding circumstances where there is absolutely no alternative.

>Gay churches
Are not churches

>Black churches
Are fine, but I have mixed feelings about them.

>Snake-handling and poison-drinking
Not sure what you mean by this.

>Blabbing nonsense ("speaking in tongues")
Total nonsense. I think most people take none of it to be real. In 4 years of protestant high school, not once did a sermon include someone speaking in tongues and it was reinforced to us frequently to be very suspicious of it. I think most protestants are very suspicious of it.

>Shitty Christian media (music, movies, comics, etc)
Okay. But Catholics can produce the same stuff. Also, some of this is subjective (except Christian movies, most of those are objectively bad, so I concede that.)

>Soulless churches without art
Small, pour towns where the Catholics didn't erect some glorious and beautiful in 1200AD sometimes can't afford it. While yes, it is unfortunate to have a church with no art or amazing architecture, it's better than to not have a church at all. I have seen some less than glorious catholic and orthodox churches in my time.

>Televangelists
Joel Osteen sucks and his sermons do to. In all my Protestant schooling, all of my teachers disliked him.
>>
>>138404872
>How is this the fault of Protestantism?

The Confederacy was hardcore Protestant. The Southern Baptist denomination split from the northern branch on the issue of slavery.
>>
>>138402666
This.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.