[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dictatorships

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1433394465846.png (234KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1433394465846.png
234KB, 1024x768px
>Most of human history has dysfunctional dictatorships and monarchies that inevitably fall into themselves
>The last few centuries have been the only time that Democracy in any form was actually tried
>Goes through a bit of a rough spot cause of rich elite fucking them up
>"We need to go back to the old times and have dictators and monarchies again!"
>MFW

Seriously. Why do any of you want to go back to that?
>>
File: pericles.jpg (240KB, 1200x1818px) Image search: [Google]
pericles.jpg
240KB, 1200x1818px
>>137678530
>>The last few centuries have been the only time that Democracy in any form was actually tried

Run that by me again
>>
>>137678744

Ok, to call the greek city states a democracy is a lose way of putting it considering how restrictive they were to begin with. Besides that, they more often or not gave in to kings and tyrants.
>>
>>137678990
You said "In any form"
Athens had restricted voting, yes, but so do we. Can felons and prisoners vote? No. It's just a matter of degrees.

Besides, aside from the Athenians, there were the Romans. They had democracy for 500 years from since they kicked out the kings and Augustus became the first Emperor.

I agree with you, but just not with that point.
>>
File: 1495560611524.jpg (9KB, 226x258px) Image search: [Google]
1495560611524.jpg
9KB, 226x258px
>>137678530
>last few centuries
>only time democracy in any form was tried
>>
>>137679547

Neither was the "in any form." I was mistaken and probably should of been more specific yes, but it should be noted that unlike before, democracy has been applied on a far larger scale than that of Athens.

While it is not true in a number of places in the world, it is generally considered modern to have a democracy. The reason I brought this up though was more of a problem that seems to exist, in that people want to go back to dictatorships and monarchies just because democracy isn't working in the way people want it to.
>>
>>137680082
>it should be noted that unlike before, democracy has been applied on a far larger scale than that of Athens.
You mean the Roman Republic, which had a population in the millions?
>>
File: tronbonnebestwaifu.png (22KB, 329x523px) Image search: [Google]
tronbonnebestwaifu.png
22KB, 329x523px
>>137680485

You mean the Roman Republic, which ultimately fell into and became ruled by a dictator and became a "Empire?"

Not to mention those that "inherited" it became monarchies too. Hardly a good example.
>>
>>137680682
And how and why did the Roman Empire fall? Because it grew too large, ended up collapsing into ethnic conflict after trying to force various groups to live together and distributing wealth amongst them via the welfare state.

Gee, sounds familiar. It's almost like history has identifiable cycles that all empires go through.
>>
File: 1484707088905.jpg (140KB, 942x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484707088905.jpg
140KB, 942x960px
Temporary dicatorships have worked in the past to preserve peace, democracy and capitalism. Spain was taken over by a fascist to stop communism, and when he died power was peacefully handed back to the people. Chile was similar, a dicatorship overthrew commies and the result was a prosperous capitalist democracy.
>>
>>137681112

While some of those were contributing issues(Except the welfare state thing, thats new to me, care to list a reference on that one?), some of the main contributions to that were the enforcement of Christianity on a massive scale which helped to destablized a fairly religiously plural empire, the invasion of a variety of barbarian tribes, the weakening of the military into a utter joke, as well as having a rather unstable and corrupt political system.
>>
>>137678530
>>137680682
I'm literally just here for the pictures of Zelda
>>
>>137680682
>>137681112
btfo
Democracies are too fragile to maintain for a long period of time, even more when the citizens are from different cultural groups and ideologies.
Jesus, just read what some renowned politicians and historians wrote (like Maquiavello Plato, or the fundation of the USA) and you will understand the limitations that have any democracy or republic.
>>
The best society would be ruled by a benevolent philosopher-king

t. Platonist
>>
>>137682270

But "beneveolent philsopher kings" are rare, very rare. Most kings and queens are dysfunctional or generally apathetic to the people. We cannot wait a hundred or so years for a "enlightened King," we need to be able to get rid of such people if they are absolute failures.

>>137682056

>BTFO
But didnt look at my response. K.

Democracies are, currently, a better alternative. Dictatorships and monarchies thrive on division of peoples, races, and nations. This only helps to lead us to self destruction of a species, as its unlikely any of these dictatorships will be able to lead a unified global government, something we need if we are to move from a species bound to Earth into space.

Unless humanity dying out is fine
>>
>>137682952
You didn't negate any of the points made by the other anon, so yes btfo. I agree there were countless reasons why the Roman Republic ultimately fell, but I'm sure that what the other anon pointed out are the major reasons.

Democracies won't work in a global scale no matter how much you tried, at least not now, we are not prepared for that and I don't think we will be prepared any time in our lifetimes.
Humans hate foreigners, it's in our nature, and we are selfish as fuck, so no democracy will work, that is just an utopia the same as communism. It may be good in paper but in practice not much.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.