[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

European History: Philosophy Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 3

File: based greek dude.jpg (103KB, 800x526px) Image search: [Google]
based greek dude.jpg
103KB, 800x526px
Hello, /pol/lacks. Stop jerking off and get in here.

It's time for a serious philosophical discussion regarding the greatest treasure Europeans have ever bestowed upon the lesser cultures of the world; Philosophy.
> if you don't read philosophy you're literally the reason why the west is struggling and Pepe turned into a normie meme.

Today's topic is the death of Socrates and the four dialogues written by Plato. Questions regarding this controversial Greek thinker is:
> Is there truly any lessons to be learned from questioning everything and rejecting pride and glory?
> Is the masses truly weak in their assessments and generally wrong, as proposed by Socrates moments before his death?
> Should he have fled from death and lived his final days peacefully secluded from Athens?
> Is it fair to propose that women can never achieve this level of enlightenment since they're the cosmic opposition to the logical and rational man?
>>
File: democritus.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
democritus.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>137442625

> Is there truly any lessons to be learned from questioning everything and rejecting pride and glory?

First, let it be known that one of the best pre-Socratic philosophers were the infamous Democritus, also know as the laughing philosopher.Socrates hated this guy, but nevertheless, he's still one of the founding fathers of Western ethical discourse. Democritus wrote on a vast array of subjects but is most known for his extensive theories on the subject of ethics and moral codes. He promoted fame, justice, individual freedom and the disregard for vice and evil.

I must say that I prefer Socrates to Democritus on the topic of pride and glory. Completely rejecting the mass appeal and not wishing to accumulate the most good and utility for your own community is rather cheap and even weak, but as Socrates stated there's no greater glory than to fulfil the moral supremacy of your own ideological conviction.
>>
File: dialectic .jpg (100KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
dialectic .jpg
100KB, 620x372px
>>137442625

> Is the masses truly weak in their assessments and generally wrong, as proposed by Socrates moments before his death?

I concur with Socrates here. I think that generally speaking the masses have always been in the wrong. This is evident through the dialectical development of human civilization, for instance how distinctively different the modern world is from the preceding. Civil rights, what is deemed politically correct and so forth are just some of the many values decided by the masses, and any attempt to challenge them will lead to persecution.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.