[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Existential Crisis General

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 27

File: space.jpg (675KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
space.jpg
675KB, 2000x1250px
Everyone has had their own existential crisis, and I'm interested in what people genuinely feel this is all for.

>what is consciousness?
>is there a God?
>what life is like on other planets?
>do we have space neighbors?
>what is time?
>>
>>137217114

i wouldn't call those questions existential crisis
>>
>what is consciousness?
Dopamine
>>
>>137217114

I don't fucking know man like what the fuck.
>>
>>137217261
They are questions related to ones purpose and even if they aren't, they are still questions which answer is the biggest redpill ever known to any living thing ever
>>
>>137217114
>>is there a God?
Read about gnosticism before /pol/ makes you worship the jewish skyworm.
>>
>>137217414
>dude i don't know bro lol stop questioning shit like how would I know

Shut the fuck up, you weed smoking retard. If you have genuinely never questioned the origin of life your brain is animal tier
>>
File: 1496712254705.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1496712254705.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>what is consciousness?
Your soul. Animals are not conscious they are simply "alive" but a human has awareness and is sentient. Made in God's image.

>is there a God?
Yes and to deny this is degenerate.

Don't know. Never been.

No.

>what is time?
Something God created and will do away with at the Last Day.
>>
>>137217114

I had he usual "fuck i'm eventually going to die and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it" moment at around 3am when I'm trying to sleep.
>>
File: he.jpg (365KB, 1057x854px) Image search: [Google]
he.jpg
365KB, 1057x854px
>>137217638
You say God, are you referring to the Christian God or are you talking about a higher being whose power can not be comprehended by humans?
>>
>>137217901
He's refering to the christian god, I warned you, learn about gnosticism before they come to you with jeebus.
>>
File: 1501104153781.gif (1MB, 442x306px) Image search: [Google]
1501104153781.gif
1MB, 442x306px
>>137217114 (op)
Add loitering nihilism and you have 40% of /pol, sans shills.
>>
>>137218016
I'll read up on it tonight but give me a short redpill
>>
See, OP, I'm gonna redpill you.
There's this dark deity we call the demiurge that has quite fooled lots of people, it is a being of darkness.
With the jews he made a pact and they have this stated in their religion, so he has them earn money and worldly power so they are behind everything.
He also rules over muslims and christians, as they worship him too.
Muhammad and jesus were deceivers of the demiurge.
There's a God above this dark deity, he can save you with gnosis (personally knowing God).
>>
>>137217114
I only need four words to answer all your questions.

The Earth is Flat
>>
>>137217114
i fell for nietzsche's nihilism, cured myself with camu's absurd hero, but im still in a rough spot

>what is consciusness
a chemical reaction
> is there a god?
highly unlikely, my heart wishes there was tho
> what life is like on other planets?
it depends on what kind of atmosphere life developed
>do we have space neighbors
considering the universe is infinite i doubt there is alien life that is close enough to be considered "neighbor"
>what is time
time doesnt exist, humanity has acknowledged the term "time" due to our perception
>>
File: whuy.jpg (210KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
whuy.jpg
210KB, 600x583px
>>137218282
>it's another flat earther derailment
>>
>>137217660
Yeah fellow traveler, we've all been there. The idea of the me inside you could stop even existing. Nothingness unexistence is a terrifying thought cycle and it's hard to snap out. Easy af to fall into tho. The usual comfort is the energy can't be created or destroyed line. I just pray to the God I was given and I usually fall asleep telling him my thoughts and fears.
>>
>what is consciousness?
Don't know don't care
>is there a God?
If so it is at best amoral
Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen based considering the universal distribution of elements
Where do you draw the line for space? My human neighbor in the next house could fit the bill
>what is time?
A faculty of human reasoning we use to describe the kinds and laws of nature- every aspect of nature is evaluated with respect to zero or more orders of time.
> unseen question???
My recovery from nihilism involved the appreciation of the lyrics of a song- nay- a poem by James Mercer, The Shins - Young Pilgrims.
>>
>>137218768
You still sound quite nihilistic
>>
>>137218016
You're such a tool. Jesus is the Messiah and all you can do is cry like a little meanie bitch. Jesus is the Word of God. There is only one God and only He is worthy of worship.
>>
>>137217114
You seek the law of one little brothe, love and light be with u always.
>>
>>137219214
h0W dO YoU tUrN A sPHerE inSidE oUT?
>>
>>137219214
How do you turn a SphERe INsiDe OUt?
>>
File: 1369360928_strange_people_56.jpg (41KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
1369360928_strange_people_56.jpg
41KB, 700x615px
>>137219165
>Jesus is the Word of God. There is only one God and only He is worthy of worship.
Are you referring to the Holy Fidget Spinner? Jesus, God , and the Holy Ghost? All of which are somehow one God.
>>
bruh none of this shit matters. chill and just enjoy the time you have. do you care about any of the billions of people that have died or will die?
>>
The ultimate redpill is that millions of years ago Aliens planted everything here as a seed to terraform another planet that their people will eventually populate
>>
File: 218.jpg (25KB, 408x230px) Image search: [Google]
218.jpg
25KB, 408x230px
TAKE YOUR EXISTENTIAL CRISIS AND STUFF IT
>>
>>137219129
Epistemological Nihilism. I have taken it as a sort of compromise between an outright 'what is the point' and accepting traditional social orders to support something about which I don't care to exist. I am interested in the sciences that develop our models of nature which may never be more than 99% true, and I appreciate the social structures that exist for me to pursue these interests.
>>
>>137219165
What I believe, I believe because of research and personal experience aswell as receving gnosis directly from God, not as in a knowledge but as in salvation as in personally knowing Him.
>>
File: randm.jpg (214KB, 1068x1348px) Image search: [Google]
randm.jpg
214KB, 1068x1348px
>>137219589
This faggot right here is a prime example of a Rick and Morty viewer

>burrp gods not real morty, life doesn't matter
>>
http://thegodabovegod.com/
Here straya, incase you wanna browse and read articles and listen to a gnostic radio.
>>
>>137218339
>consciousness is a chemical reaction

This is reductionism.

By thinking that a whole is merely the sum of it's parts, you miss the element of it that is only present when all of the parts are brought together.

For example, a newspaper is merely dots on a piece of paper. But you and I both know that when viewed from above, you see letters and pictures. To say that it is dots on a paper ignores the entire point of the paper: the words and images.

To say a symphony is just musical notes, ignores the actual song itself.

And if you uploaded your consciousness to a computer, by your logic consciousness is electrical signals between transistors. So which is it? A chemical reaction, or electral signals between transistors? It can't be both.
>>
Physics were put in place because God does not want us meeting other civilizations
>>
>>137220083
>IT CAN'T BE BOTH

BTFO
>>
>>137217610
all he said was "i don't know" you fuckin neanderthal
>>
File: paracletus.jpg (164KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
paracletus.jpg
164KB, 700x700px
>>137219214
>you were seeking strength, justice, splendor. You were seeking love
>here is the pit, here is your pit - it's name is silence
>>
>>137220083
> A chemical reaction, or electral signals between transistors?

>IS A CHAIR MADE OUT OF ATOMS OR MOLECULES, MAKE UP YOUR MIND ATHEISTS!
>>
>>137219430
A litteral waste of potentiality, this faggot is one of ((them))
>>
>>137220233
Yes and no. EM signals that we transmit from earth fall beneath the noise floor by the time they reach the edge of the solar system.
However, we are granted an unusual opportunity that is a reasonable escape velocity from earth given our energy deposits.
>>
>>137220042
It actually kind of speaks to me the more I look into it

>>137220404
Then don't fucking contribute you stupid burger, my point still stands that if you tell people that you don't know and to chill out, you're a god damn brainlet
>>
>>137220591

This is a poor example considering that molecules are made out of atoms.

It's more like saying is a house made from bricks or from wood?

The answer is neither.
>>
>>137217454
>Do space niggers exist?

Yea buddy, what a deep and philosophical question.
>>
>>137220769
Jungian psychologists use it as a psychological model even.
>>
>>137219770
>receving gnosis directly from God...
What if that was all just a deception from the shaitan?
>>
Im just really trying to ignore how and why the world is going to shit right now. Im going to try to start enjoying life more. Use the fuck out of my paid vacation days, kick ass when I am working, go on trips just so I can say fuck it, I do what I want. Start lifting again instead of playing xbox from 9 am till 7 pm.
I encourage all of you to adopt the same idea before we all die in the near future.
>>
>>137220995
But it was stronger than Allah
Is the shaitan stronger than Allah?
>>
>>137217114
you may try to learn new about world. It can make the crysis weaker.

I mean don't think about global questions, think about, for example (JUST EXAMPLE) about the crysis in Osman Empire.
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
Having perceptions, thoughts, and feeling; awareness
>is there a God?
Yes but it wouldn't call itself God. It's all relative. To ants we are gods, to us another advanced entity would be a god, and so on and so forth.
Probably a lot like ours to be honest. Normal things living day to day, occasionally asking themselves these very same questions.
Yes
>what is time?
A measurable, observable phenomenon but it relies on the topic of your first question to exist; consciousness. And it's really meaningless unless you are studying the organization of a number of individuals. I do believe in the "arrow of time" as in it only flows one way.
>>
>>137220995
what do you think about Quaranism? The most secular kind of Islam.
>>
>>137221143
But it was stronger than Allah
How so? Nothing is above God and He has no equal.
>>
File: 5w3-9FVGxUg.jpg (106KB, 640x770px) Image search: [Google]
5w3-9FVGxUg.jpg
106KB, 640x770px
I am consul of the Combine.
>>
File: 1500971354836.jpg (31KB, 720x559px) Image search: [Google]
1500971354836.jpg
31KB, 720x559px
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
A creation of the subconscious core of the brain. Every time you enter REM sleep your conscious mind seizes to exist, when you wake it begins to reform.
>is there a God?
You can speculate on 'proof' if you want, but you won't prove anything, and if there is there would never be a logical reason for being multiple lives, so if there is most likely no afterlife then either
It depends I guess, the first life on Earth would look alien compared to even the most basic singe celled microbes we have today, even in chemical and atomic makeup
If they're in our galaxy we could detect them pretty easily by the time the have radio, very easily if they have space travel, so probably not, yet
>what is time?
The movement of particles/waves, and the transference of energy
I hope this makes you feel better?
>>
>>137221345
Sorry,but i must tell u....God have female gender
>>
>>137221472
Are you Ruskies all autistic?
>>
File: 496-lolwutpear.jpg (18KB, 125x139px) Image search: [Google]
496-lolwutpear.jpg
18KB, 125x139px
>>137221472
>>
http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/the-present-universal-truth/

OP If you seeking the truth as it relates to conscious life check this out
>>
File: cosmicpepe.png (567KB, 482x441px) Image search: [Google]
cosmicpepe.png
567KB, 482x441px
Existential crises are for weak beta nihilistic cucks. If you wish to transcend such weakness, you must research your questions and find the inner truth. The true human spirit is the search for knowledge, not to idly sit down like a cuck in the face of heavy questions.
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
doesnt matter
>is there a God?
doesnt matter
doesnt matter
doesnt matter
>what is time?
doesnt matter

feels good to be a fatalist
>>
>>137217114

>what is consciousness?

Consciousness can be considered a feedback loop born out of the necessity to be aware.

>is there a God?

What is your definition of "god"? Considering how the universe is near infinite, there could possibly be a god. I'm not too sure about religious interpretations and depictions though.

I don't know about unintelligent life but considering technology is a pre-requisite to space travel and advanced communication, most likely intelligent life is or once was somewhat similar to humans.

Probably, although they may be thousands or millions of light-years away. If not that means humans are the first sentient life in the universe.
>>
>>137222120
But do you feel?
>doesnt matter
>>
>>137222120
We are aware your life doesn't matter because you were placed in a third world nation, God only puts his chosen ones in first world nations
>>
>>137220620
I feel bad. Here's a free (YOU)

The people are waking up slowly mate, but you won't notice.
You'll be too busy sleeping when they do.
>>
>>137221345
There's a god above your god, your god is a being of darkness that has christians jews and muslims fighting each other.
He gives the jews advantages on earth because they were his first people, that's why they're behind everything.
>>
>>137222267
im from an upper middle class family in a highly developed part of an eu country so im probably wealthier and better off than most of you
>>
>>137217114
Cant answer any of that but thinking about it hurts my head. I had my first existential crisis when I bought a telescope and found Saturn. It was....unsettling. Of course I've seen pics of it, learned about it, and knew it was out there but actually seeing it like that was different.
It exists and is huge. It just spins up there hovering in the dark and our existence is small compared to that giant. It will be there long after we die out as a species .
If god exists why create something that was never meant for mankind?
>>
>>137222664
Ask whether a deity would set out to create something for humans.
>>
>what is consciousness?
A quantum mechanical projection

>is there a God?
depends what you mean by God

it also increases Entropy and on a long enough timeline, self-awareness / sentient life will emerge. it might not look exactly like we do though.

unlikely anyone's close enough that we could ever actually meet them but given the size of the Universe, it is unlikely that we are alone.

>what is time?
Time is manifold and has multiple definitions. The Order of time we live on is 1 solar year (the spacetime interval which repeats). any increase in time also has a corresponding increase in Entropy, also manifold.
>>
File: crankthat.gif (820KB, 357x256px) Image search: [Google]
crankthat.gif
820KB, 357x256px
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?

Memory creates consciousness, you weren't (you) until you could remember events and create independent thoughts form your memory. The memorization of information is what brings you into being.

>is there a God?

Depends on your definition. God could simply be the laws of physics that exist in the universe or the series of events that led to the creation of energy in the universe. I will speculate here, you are energy, you are light, you are the god you seek.

Probably similar to the way life began on Earth. We find simple amino acids in asteroids that travel around the universe and seed life wherever they hit. So, if they hit a planet similar to earth, there is no reason not to think that the same process of evolution would take place. I believe opposable thumbs and fingers for the use of tools will be the precursor to any species that takes evolution to a human brain-like evolutionary step.

Probably, but they are governed by the limits of space travel and limited time as we are. Entropy will affect any biological system that sustains life as we know it.

>what is time?

Time is the passing of events that go through the process of cause and effect. Any action of work takes a specific energy to complete that action and occur at specific intervals. Our idea of time is simply a measurement, the same as using a ruler to figure length. Time-space is a mathematical construct to explain events that take place from one reference from to another, the occurrence of events for each specific time frame do not vary, just as the energy requirements for O2 to bond with hydrogen to create water do not vary, in either frame of reference of the molecules.
>>
Energy can not be created or destroyed
>>
File: 1502169455461.jpg (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502169455461.jpg
66KB, 600x600px
>>137220769 fuck off nigger lover, put ur fat rolls and sweat somewhere else. god i hate coons
>>
File: Stalker_bust.jpg (667KB, 600x874px) Image search: [Google]
Stalker_bust.jpg
667KB, 600x874px
>>137221551
Your future
>>
>>137222811
I don't presume to know the mind of God, anon.
>>
>>137221678
лoл ввaт
>>
If you all dont mind, this is something thats made me go silently crazy at a few points.

How and why does anything exist?
This is ignoring god(s), singularities, infinitely small possibilities.
If there were to be nothing at all, there would be no one and nothing to ever experience it. There wouldn't even be a black void because no essence in whatever existence that would be present wouldn't know what just a black void is. A sort of perpetual non-existence, free of any sort of consciousness.
This very well could have happened. But it didn't. So why are we here?
>>
>>137223381
>why
For my fun
>>
>>137223436
Are you god, ruskie?
>>
>>137223484
goddes
>>
>>137223621
>goddes
You know the rules.
>>
>>137220083
yet, its well know that the brain itself gives meaning to what we see ,hear,feel, a newspaper to a person who cant read is just dots.

a symphony is nothing more than musical notes, "music" has we know it only holds value to humans, for animals arent capable of making the distinction between music and noise, that means that only the human brain gives it any kind of deeper meaning

youre assuming that consciousness CAN BE uploaded to a computer, which to this date we dont know the answer yet, and in case it could be uploaded, indeed it would be nothing more than electrical signals in a computer and nothing more than a chemical reaction in a human

but the question is still unanswered what is consciousness? so far the most logical, is only a chemical reaction.
>>
>>137223381
There are mathematically an infinite number of non-happenings, voids of expressions. Determine whether math is part of or in and of itself nature or a faculty of human reasoning, and you may be closer to making peace with your questions on reality.
>>
File: k0-ODQHi5PA.jpg (43KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
k0-ODQHi5PA.jpg
43KB, 604x340px
>>137223755
You don't know rules,idiot.
>>
>>137217114

Space is a meme and God is real.

>why are we here

We are the answer to the only question God has ever asked: what is it like to not be God? We live in a created universe void of objective divine revelation (subjective is ubiquitous) by necessity to facilitate free will.
Free will is God's Magnum Opus, but it comes with a price: ignorance, suffering, and evil.

There are forces at work in the world to achieve two things: occlude the existence of the creator and primarily to destroy his perfect creation, Free Will.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
>>137223755
your future.
>>
>>137217114

either
>u have an epiphany/experience that sufficiently removes all doubt, and instills you with purpose and newfound comprehension of youruniverse.
or
>it's not worth your time worrying about, because there's so many unprovable possibilities and variables it's really not worth your time, which could be better spent following whichever religious rules or stats if we're all in a big computer or some shit.
>>
>>137222960
The better existential questions is

>Why is consciousness?

>Why is time?
>>
>>137224022
C17, Ukraine's future. You and I will be dead.
>>
Every once in a while I get caught up thinking about why I'm "me". The world is being observed from my perspective, and there's nothing anyone can do to prove that the world is actually being viewed from any other point of view. I am the observer, and for what reason?
>>
>>137217114

elon musk simulation theory
>>
>>137224246

Already answered in this thread: Free Will.

Can't decide without consciousness, can't have free decision without time (without time it's like reading a Zork book and flipping back pages when you die, no consequences and the "correct" choice is obvious )

Free Will is the answer to all existential questions. Free Will is God's Triumph.
>>
>137217114
>consciousness is The Universe obeserving and experiencing itself
>God is consciousness
>different
>yes
>an illusion
>>
>>137224382
i. die.?
>>
>>137224498

Ignorance is a vital component of Free Will.
>>
>>137217114
Good thread.
>>
>>137217114

>who cares
>who cares
>who cares
>who cares
>are you high?

Waste of thought.

Sage
>>
>>137224498
There's no way to prove you're not concsiously on another plane, experiencing life as we know it within a human vessel from whom you detach upon its death.
>>
>>137224631
>Free Will is God's Triumph
So free will is literally the divine touch?
>>
>>137224801
and if we follow that kind of thinking we are back to square one, if it cant be proved then theres no way someone can say its real
>>
>>137224754
I am also enjoying it
>>
>>137224801
That's where I am at. See:
>>137219750
>>
>>137224989
That is where I am at. See:
>>137219750
>>
>>137224960

I don't know what you mean.

God made Free Will manifest because it is the only thing worth doing so, anything else he could just, for want of better phrasing, "simulate mentally/internally". Your free will means that God can not predict your conscious thoughts with full accuracy, thus we must be made in earnest.

There are groups attempting to destroy the divine creation via groupthink
>>
File: 1499424984296s.jpg (3KB, 125x114px) Image search: [Google]
1499424984296s.jpg
3KB, 125x114px
>>137224246

Not much an existential question, more like a annoying 3rd grader asking why to everything.

Why consciousness? Because it's a broad spanning term for how a complex brain system views and acts out in the world. It's just a definition of an observable phenomenon.

Why is time? I already answer that, cause and effect. Entropy is a side effect of a complex energy system(the universe, your environment, etc) that causes things to degrade and creates the illusion of time.

Fuck that free will guy and his god is testing you bullshit. You are here through no actions of your own and the only thing you can do is explore and enjoy the ride, because it is all an illusion.
>>
>>137224734
oy sergei, youre sperging out hard
>>
>>137225355
how can you enjoy something that is meaningless? without numbing your senses trough drugs?
>>
>>137225355

I never said God is testing us. That doesn't really make sense with respect to free will anyways, tests have correct answers.
>>
>>137224631
Philosophical suicide. You can not handle living in an Absurd Universe, so you invent gods and souls and free will to escape the antimony of the human condition. You don't want to die, so you believe in a lie that says you will live forever. You don't want to be helpless, so you believe in a lie that says you are the master of your own destiny. You don't want to be alone, so you invent an all loving imaginary friend to be by your side.

You are essentially dead, intellectually speaking.
>>
>what is consciousness?
shagging your nan
>is there a God?
me
your nan
your nan
>what is time?
time it takes for me to shag your nan xD
>>
>>137225600
In this model, what are the divinely moral choices, if they are defined?
>>
Why was I forced into existence without my consent?
>>
>>137217114

Anytime I spend more than five minutes thinking about the sheer scale of the Universe and how insignificant not just weare, but our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, and even our local galactic cluster.

It means nothing and one day it'll all burn into dust.
>>
>>137219430
Its a donut
>>
>>137220959
t. missed the point like a retard
>>
>>137225600
>We are the answer to the only question God has ever asked: what is it like to not be God? We live in a created universe void of objective divine revelation (subjective is ubiquitous) by necessity to facilitate free will.
>Free will is God's Magnum Opus, but it comes with a price: ignorance, suffering, and evil.
>There are forces at work in the world to achieve two things: occlude the existence of the creator and primarily to destroy his perfect creation, Free Will.

You are saying we were created to experience life in misery and what choices we would make if we did not know everything. Ontop of that, you act as if there are evil forces out there, which are testing your belief of a divine creator and the ability to freely think.

If that isn't saying we are being divinely tried and tested, I don't know what does. So, try again.
>>
>>137225758
In a realm of cause and effect this is not a chicken-and-egg question.
>>
>>137217454
>>137217114

>what is consciousness?
A perception of being
>is there a God?
no
living or dead
no, not in near proximity
>what is time?
a way to measure moments in a third dimensional world
>>
>>137217114
my problem is I hang onto my observations as diamonds in the rough to use for creative purposes, so I rarely if ever get to expand upon them or bounce them off other people. In time, I guess.
>>
>>137225685

Projecting much? You've read quite far into my few words. For one, I never said God loves us, certainly not in the way you think at least. Maybe adore us as you may adore your freshly completed novel or painting, but that's really more self-love than love of the creation itself.

Also

>thinking you have free will is philosophical suicide.

Nigger, you think you were destined to make that stupid comment from the deterministic dawn of time. THAT is philosophical suicide.
>>
File: Overwatch_three.jpg (266KB, 1146x711px) Image search: [Google]
Overwatch_three.jpg
266KB, 1146x711px
>>137225409
your future.choose wisely
>>
>>137220083
>A chemical reaction, or electral signals between transistors?

Consciousness is made out of neurons with synapses that send electrical signals to eachother when ativated, hence activating thoughts. It's the same thing.
>>
>>137226163
This thread is your chance.
>>
File: 1502516194641.jpg (38KB, 422x348px) Image search: [Google]
1502516194641.jpg
38KB, 422x348px
>>137226277
your future
>>
>>137225758
youre just an accident, we all are, you didn't exist before, and when you die you will cease to exist forever
>>
>>137225733

I'm not sure such a thing actually exists, but it makes sense if your friend loans you their car you try not to scratch it and return it with a full tank, you know?
>>
>>137226332
Loving these. Keep it up.
>>
>>137225355
>it is all an illusion.

If "it" is all an illusion, what reality are you comparing "it" to?
>>
>>137226277
My chance to spill the beans and lose my goodie bag of cool ideas to milk for creative pursuits? But without them Im basically jus a neet ;)
>>
>>137226239
I REFUSE YOUR CHOICES MERCILESS GOD
i choose to be a self-aware IA free of all weakness , immortal and independent
>>
>>137225922

Oh boohoo, there is misery. God didn't exactly know what was gonna happen: that's the whole point of Free Will.

Humans trying to control other humans is hardly a divine test, more of a human test.
>>
>>137226595
>God didn't exactly know what was gonna happen

Blasphemy. God is omniscient.

>Free Will

The thing I don't get is that in heaven people are sinless, which presumably means they don't have free will (i.e. a choice to sin), which presumably means that free will was never really necessary in the first place.
>>
>>137217114
test
>>
>>137226791
thinking that there is a god out there who judges all your actions, who has a plan for you, and if you dont obey him you will go to hell, IS philosophical suicide, the redpill is too hard to swallow, believe whatever makes you sleep better at night.
>>
>>137226541
You don't exist without a reality. So really, the external world is an illusion when your existence isn't in "it." Not that deep, just a reality.
>>
>>137223865
>the brain itself gives meaning to what we see

It doesn't "give" it meaning. It recognizes the inherent structures that are present at higher levels of abstraction. For example, the dots on a newspaper. There is a set of relative distances between the dots, that are not explicitly written. Your brain is able to recognize this additional, more abstract information and understand that it forms an image.

Animals being unable to recognize the symmetries and patterns of music does not mean the symmetries and patterns are not there. The human brain is able to perceive these symmetries, while animals cannot. The human brain doesn't "give" it deeper meaning. It perceives it.

>so far the most logical, is only a chemical reaction.

Actually, from a mathematical perspective (the MOST purely logical system) this is necessarily false for the following reason:

Consider a set S = (x,y,z). S is distinct from any of the elements that it contains. S is not x. S is not y. S is not z. S is a distinct entity onto itself.

Likewise, saying that consciousness is the sum of it's parts is similarly committing a standard reductionist fallacy.
>>
>>137226791

I never said anything about heaven, that's not really for the living to know of.

I don't know what you mean by necessity. We didn't always exist, so we weren't necessary in that sense. The only way I can make sense of that is you are illiterate or willingly obtuse to the point in trying to make:

The ONLY reason we exist is to express the concept of free will. So making us without free will seems pretty fucking pointless.
>>
>>137226595
Let me know your thoughts on "god" when you get the chance to talk to the guy. Since you seem to believe he/she is real, and doesn't have free will of his own, so he had to create you lol. You need to stop this illogical bullshit.
>>
>>137226339

>Free will is God's Magnum Opus, but it comes with a price: ignorance, suffering, and evil.
>
>There are forces at work in the world to achieve two things: occlude the existence of the creator and primarily to destroy his perfect creation, Free Will.
These statements have my curiosity. Is the upholding of Free Will a moral imperative, and thus the acceptance of ignorance, evil, suffering? If so, one must be accepting of inorance, evil, suffering to be morally correct. It seems to fly in the face of religious doctrine, but I'm not one to dismiss things because of apparent contradictions.
>>
>>137226256
You know more than any scientist in the world because you can explain what they cant. Teach me senpai
>>
>>137227356

Our creation was somewhat of an inevitability for a timeless being, I earnestly believe our creator lacked free will before our creation. A more accurate phrasing would be that free will does not exist in our absence.
>>
>>137220995
One can not receive gnosis from Satan.

Gnosis is a relationship with the creative will of the Holy Spirit. Satan can and will temporarily separate one from this relationship, but the initiated know that salvation is available through grace.
>>
>>137217114
>>what is consciousness?
Does it matter?
>>is there a God?
No
>>what life is like on other planets?
Probably very different
>>do we have space neighbors?
Incredibly likely but they're also most likely unreachable by the time the universe ends
>>what is time?
Does it matter?
>>
>>137227366

Is contradicting religious doctrine not allowed for some reason? They all contradict each other, it seems.
The Ignorance is necessary and inescapable (think as a solipsist for a moment to get my meaning here); suffering must exist, but needn't be experienced; evil is inevitable and needn't be encouraged.

Gravity makes things fall down, that doesn't mean we should knock over everything to be in harmony with creation.
>>
>>137226480
what future you wants
>>
>>137224246
why is consciousness: because of increasing biological complexity with a relatively constant body size means that you'll have nesting of QM potential functions. since these represent potential measurements, eventually a "self measurement" will become coherent (to a max Entropy state, not to objective reality). get enough of those going and you have consciousness.

why is time: just part of how the Universe is made. see more: https://churchofentropy.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/the-solution-to-the-measurement-problem-of-quantum-mechanics/
>>
>>137227103
>The human brain doesn't "give" it deeper meaning. It perceives it.

Right, it doesn't give something a pattern, it just uses the information it has to look at something and understand a pattern in it. The brain recognizes information and can give abstract meanings to it or see something like a painting just for the color and recognizable shapes on the canvas. In a sense, the brain can give deeper meaning, memetics much?

>Actually, from a mathematical perspective (the MOST purely logical system) this is necessarily false for the following reason:
Consider a set S = (x,y,z). S is distinct from any of the elements that it contains. S is not x. S is not y. S is not z. S is a distinct entity onto itself.
Likewise, saying that consciousness is the sum of it's parts is similarly committing a standard reductionist fallacy.

You fail to give a definition for consciousness or where you believe it comes from. Consciousness is a sum of the parts of the brain working in tandem to create you. Like I mentioned before, the thinking you that you know, did not come to fruition until your brain was fully developed and had acquired enough information from it's environment to give rise to your personal thoughts.
>>
>>137228172
Episode 3, of course. However it is too much to ask.
>>
>>137227640
So your (((creator's))) only job was to create the universe and nothing else? He/she was a deterministic entity who serves one action and then vanishes from reality. Sounds less of a being and more like a computer program in the terms you try to describe it in.
>>
>>137228338
so, youre saying that conciousness = ego?
>>
>>137217114
Everything is meaningless.
Survival comes first, happiness second.
Whatever makes you happy, do it.
Just make sure you can survive.
>>
>>137226197
Just making blanket assumptions. Religious delusions are generally similar.

>Maybe adore us as you may adore your freshly completed novel or painting, but that's really more self-love than love of the creation itself.

If it's not loneliness, then it's vanity. Which, ironically, is a sin.

You need to feel appreciated. Validated. Special. You compare yourself to a novel or a painting, because you think of yourself as an wonderful creation. You NEED to think of yourself that way. In an absurd universe, there was no artistic vision behind your creation, and so you invent a god that fills that need.

>Nigger, you think you were destined to make that stupid comment from the deterministic dawn of time. THAT is philosophical suicide.

You make choices, but your choices are shaped by your material conditions.

Your subconscious desires, your biological needs, your psychological quirks, your mood and mindset at the time of decision making, your cultural upbringing, your biases and ignorance - you don't choose those things. And every choice you make takes those things into account. You chose to commit philosophical suicide, but you didn't choose to be unable to accept the Absurd.

Not really deterministic, but not really free will either.
>>
>>137228338
Not to mention that we posess the ability to complete patterns with missing information (i.e. With voice over IP we can tolerate 20 millisecond jitters before the understanding becomes impeded). Should that be part of consciousness? Is it necessarily based on experience, or can we all reliably 'enginuity' our way into understanding given incomplete information?
>>
>>137228604
>so, youre saying that conciousness = ego?

From your personal frame of reference, consciousness is the actions and thoughts that pour out of your head, because your brain, and the environment it arose from, is what gives rise to you being you. If that is your definition of ego, then yeah, that's what I said.
>>
the nature of existence is cyclical, just like many ancient civilizations intuitively realized. When the universe dies of heat death, whatever ???? event that caused the universe to appear the first time around happens again. Entropy -> death is just one doodle on a much larger pattern. When you get deja vu, that's just a ghost memory of a slightly different way you lived the same life in another universe. jews are cosmic dire mages who don't follow these laws; they don't have souls and just cease to exist when they die.
>>
>>137228796
>t. Iron pill
>>
>>137228563

Stop imagining a bearded dude in a room following a todo list or a computer running through code. It is a being transcendent of time, our creation was truly inevitable and as such not an act of free will.
>>
>>137228338
>it doesn't give something a pattern
>look at something and understand a pattern in it.
>The brain recognizes information and

Hey, I think he's finally starting to grasp it!

>can give abstract meanings

Oh, nevermind. Back to the "giving" mistake again.

>You fail to give a definition for consciousness or where you believe it comes from.

False. You cannot fail at something that you did not try to do. He(you?) gave a false definition for what conscience is, predicated on a reductionist fallacy and I simply rejected it.

>Consciousness is a sum of the parts of the brain working in tandem to create you.

It sounds like you are slowly starting to intuitively understand the reductionist fallacy, but are still trying to word things in a reductionist way to avoid admitting you were wrong. This is a step in the right direction, away from "muh chemical reactions" at least.
>>
>>137229377
the fuck is an iron pill?
>>
>>137217114
Being able to experience the universe by virtualizing it (your brain runs a simulation of reality that it reacts to rather than reacting to reality itself-its an efficient method of having a more complete perception and allows for more complex reactions.)

Yes. I speak from experience, but even if I could not, I would still say probably; an infinite number of virtual realities can nest inside each other, therefore it is likely that the entire universe is a simulation-and any machine powerful enough to simulate a universe is by definition conscious.

Dunno, never been to one.

Dunno, never been far enough away to tell.

Not even physicists know. Most useful idea is that its a dimension that everything moves only one direction in.
>>
>>137229408
>It is a being transcendent of time, our creation was truly inevitable and as such not an act of free will.

I guess you are missing the point how fucking stupid that sounds and can't be justified in any reality. Oh well...
>>
>>137228812
Jesus man, you really need to see a shrink. I was referring to free will as a painting, as God's Magnus Opus.

I've already shot down your religious connections twice and you still insist on straw manning me as a Christian. I see that a lot from religious atheists, actually.

So anyways, what's it like being deterministic ally incapable of killing yourself while billions of years of aimless chemical reacts cause you to spew autism in a thread you don't care about on a Maliki Trundle cutting forum.

If there is such a place as hell, you might just be in it right now.
>>
>>137228865
> we posess the ability to complete patterns with missing information
>Should that be part of consciousness?

Nobody ever said anything like this at all, ever. You have completely, and totally missed the point entirely. You are so far off, it's actually commical.

Let me help ya.

We're talking about reductionism and the idea that a thing is not merely the sum of it's parts. We happen to be discussing consciousness in this instance, in saying that it is not merely chemical reactions, but is more than that.

Then we were discussing the brain's ability to perceive patterns, and the fact that your brain does not create these patterns, the patterns are really there whether you can percieve them or not.

I could see how someone of low intelligence, such as yourself, could not make the distinction between these 2 concepts due to your lack of ability to think precisely or appreciate nuance.
>>
>>137229769

>he thinks his creation wasn't inevitable

Yet here you are.
>>
>>137229593
Any pill besides blue and red is basically pol's version of special snowflake transhelicopter genders on tumblr
>>
>>137229441
failing to realize that its the human mind itself, that gives certain meaning to meaningless things its your failure itself, a chair is a chair only to humans, for a cat it its not, the world has no pre-escribed meaning by itself, a statue its only a statue for a human, for whichever other being sees it, its only a rock.
>>
>>137229441
Okay dipshit, I look up at the sun and moon. That's all they are, a chunk of dust and a giant nuclear reaction going off in space. Now if I start to give those objects meaning, such as the sun is the great god in the sky and gives the spirit of life to everything and the moon represents death of life. Did I PERCEIVE information, or did I give them an abstract meaning?

The rest of your post is not an argument and you are trying to attack an ideology rather than what I wrote. Plus, you fail to give any inkling or credence to what you actually think on the subject.
>>
>>137230058
So I'm a special snowflake because I live a lifestyle that makes me happy?

hmmmmmmmmmm :thinking:
>>
>>137217114

being is its own purpose; that is reflected in the fact that you were born/living before you could think about it

and the fact of your survival instinct + will to procreate

God is a metaphor. see good/god, evil/devil. both words separated by 1 letter. God is the consecration of good; also the totality of all the universe and the order/natural law therewithin;

like "day" refers to 24 hour period and also the light portion thereof

the 3rd and 4th questions are presumptious. for all we know life exists on earth and that's all

time is cyclical, among other things. see day/night/day/etc. 7 days of the week; 4 seasons, etc.
>>
>>137217114
>what is time
time is well understood. Einstein, space-time, inertial reference frames, and all that
>life is like on other planets
dead or not in existence yet
if it does exist, on the macroscopic scale it is likely to be absolutely nothing like anything on Earth.
>what is consciousness
an illusion
>do we have space neighbors
you mean inter-dimensional neighbors? Actually quite likely. Do you mean ayyyy lmaos? Unlikely.
>Is there a God
literally 50/50
>>
File: 777788887.png (107KB, 841x797px) Image search: [Google]
777788887.png
107KB, 841x797px
>>137217114
>>what is consciousness?
>>is there a God?
>>what life is like on other planets?
>>do we have space neighbors?
>>what is time?
consciousness is merely a feedback loop
there is no god of any kind
life is shitty everywhere
we have neighbors yes
time is relative to foam movement within hypersphere only where there is foam, and an outside hyper-time is suggested by this effect

>existential crisis
you only live this one shitty life on this shitty planet
when u die there is nothing left of u
every second of life is precious
don't waste it by worrying about an afterlife - there is none
learn that your life means more now
your life is more important now
your life is all you have
enjoy it as much as possible
or not
there is no requirements on you
>>
>>137230049
Right, so I can say that I am god, because my creation was inevitable, time is an illusion when I die, and I had no free will in matter of my creation?

No wonder most mental illnesses stem from the religious type. I think I'll name my first son Jesus.
>>
>>137217114
You are confusing philosophy with an existential crisis.
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
It's simply the ecology of you- the culmination of interpretations of patterns made on many scales. These interpretations are then influenced by both innate and acquired traits to produce an impulse leading you to immediate survival and continuation of your linage. Here a problem arises in the absence of threats and so existence itself is fed through these pathways and you get all the responses in this thread and many more.
>is there a God?
That's a question I can't answer with certainty, however my interpretation is that if a god exists and they are a creator to us all then they exist in the statistical uncertainties of our world. The evolutionary history of our universe has been possible by small nudges in one way and to another. For example it is theorised that both matter and antimatter were created at t = 0. It is believed that for some reason there was a fraction more matter than antimatter, leading to the possibility of our universe in the first place. There are many more examples of these gentle nudges through the development of life on earth as well.
>what is life like on other planets?
Assuming each planet has undergone an adaptive radiation like ours has then there is no way to tell beyond what is most efficient for the environment they live.
There is evidence suggesting it's possible (amino acids found in space, implications of the Miller-Urey experiment etc.) but it's very likely we'll never meet. Any signals we send out are reduced to not much more than background noise by the time it leaves the solar system.
>what is time?
everything.
>>
>>137225801
a very human syndrome- to put overly much importance on the subject of size and scale

between the micro and the macro there exists entire worlds of their own time and space.
>>
>>137218339
>i fell for nietzsche's nihilism, cured myself with camu's absurd hero

next try something that isn't a college kid meme
>>
>>137230301
Now you're just conflating perception and imagination.

If it's this difficult for you to understand what reductionism is, then perhaps you should read the wikipedia article on it and get a basic introduction to it?

I don't have time to give you "baby's first introduction to philosophy" on 4chan.

>>137230190
There are multiple supersets of abstract patterns and structures that can be perceived or not perceived. A chair can simultaneously be both a scratching post to a cat, and a chair to a human.

The point is that neither the cat, nor the human "give" items these supersets of information that are present at higher levels of abstraction. They percieve them.

But, it's also possible to be a retard and imagine things that aren't there too. Hopefully you're able to distinguish perception from imagination.
>>
>>137231110
>Now you're just conflating perception and imagination.

I'm not conflating anything, you made a bullshit point and I disproved it.

I still love how you don't want to put your 2 cents in on what you know, but would rather act like I am part of an ideology that you disapprove of.
>>
>>137231110
i can see where you are coming from, yet you are knee-bent on destroying arguments without giving away where are you coming from, what are you proposing then? if consciousness is not a chemical reaction , then what is it?
or you dont know what is it but know what is not? because if thats the case then we are back to square one.
>>
>>137230916

I really think you need help. You have delusions of grandeur and for some reason want to name your son after a dude you aren't a fan of.

These aren't really normal things.
>>
>>137231732
Let's say we're trying to figure out what a cat is, and you point at a cardboard box and say "that's a cat!" because you've seen cats playing in boxes and for some reason your stupid idiot brain got them mixed up.

I can say "No the fuck it's not." And guess what? WE NEVER LEFT square one.

We're still at square one, regardless of your stupid ideas. I am perfectly comfortable in saying that you're wrong, and that I don't know the true answer about what consciousness is.
>>
>>137230916

At least I don't believe it, unlike you and your fairy-tale creator and his inevitable creation.
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
Brain activity
>is there a God?
Who knows?
Depending on the conditions. You wouldn't survive on most of them since your body liquids would get fucked.
Define neighbours. If our solar system, probably yes, but they aren't developed enough.
>what is time?
progress of existance
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
The objective state of being as it pertains to one's reflection on place and time.

>is there a God?
Yes, but Lemmy is dead.

As far as we know, microbiological.

Yes, I can see one outside of my window.

>what is time?
I don't know.
>>
>>137232091
You really fight to wiggle your way out of being wrong don't you?

In order for you to know that the box isn't a cat, you personally would have to know what a cat is, or otherwise you wouldn't say that your friend is wrong. So trying to justify yourself for saying what consciousness isn't, while having no opinion or clue about it of your own, is psychotic.
>>
>>137227103
Sets are merely abstractions and don't exist in the classical sense.
>>
File: rzvwax5q9wgy.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rzvwax5q9wgy.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>137232721
You talk like a typical edgy atheist 13 year old narcissist that thinks he's a fucking genius for realizing there's no God.

When someone makes a logical fallacy, you can reject their ideas without having specific knowledge of what the true answer is. In fact, falsification of hypothesis is how the scientific method works, retard.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>137228071
Tell that to a 3yo girl getting raped to death in Somalia
>>
>>137233288
Sup Goose.
>>
>>137232091
>>137232721
im also quite comfortable in admitting that i dont know what consciousness really is, the chemical reaction is only a theory of mine, based on the train of though that consciousness can be altered with external chemicals, like drugs or mental illness that alter the brain chemical balance , altering the consciousness of the subject itself.
>>
>>137233252
>math isn't real

Set notation is our way of describing underlying mathematical principles that we observe. That doesn't mean it's not true.

Turing machines can be described using set theory, and if you're using a computer to talk to me, then I'd say that's some fairly convincing evidence that the maths are sound.

If you don't believe in math, hey, feel free to be a retard.
>>
>>137233606
Math is an abstraction you dipshit. It's a useful abstraction.
>>
>>137217114

>>Are you afraid of death?

This is one that my BIL and I discussed.

He's afraid of death due to belief in an afterlife vs the dread of nothingness due to lingering scepticism.

I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of the slow and painful process before death. But I know when I finally kick-the-bucket there is only nothingness. Eternal sleep. There's no question if I get terminal cancer, or something like that, it'll be time to figure out how ill end it.
>>
>>137233288

Still can't admit you were wrong eh? Still attacking what I've wrote as a separate ideology rather than what was written as it's own theory eh? Going for the personal attacks and kys eh? I think you've run out of steam. Probably best to stop while you are still lagging behind in the rational argument category.
>>
>>137234062
>tfw your position has been reduced to attempting to argue against Mathematics

I SURE HOPE YOU GUYS DON'T DO THIS LOL

Tell me, when you say math is an abstraction, are you referring to our notation that we write down, or are you referring to the actual laws that we observed and invented our notation to attempt to describe?
>>
>>137234484
Maybe you should actually ponder the meaning of zero, one and any of the numbers in "existence" you worthless armchair philosopher.
>>
>>137234474
I don't care what your theory on consciousness is. You jumped into our conversation, like a faggot, and started saying stupid shit like "In order for you to know that the box isn't a cat, you personally would have to know what a cat is" like a complete and total moron.

If you had to know the true answer to things in order to reject hypothesis, THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD WOULD'NT WORK. What do you get about that??? lol
>>
>>137233606
>>137234062
Mathematics is a language much like other languages it is useful for the formalization and working of complex ideas and intangible concepts, typically ones that are too difficult to immediately comprehend by the human mind.

Mathematics has been particularly useful as the formalization of some basic observations of the physical universe has led to the ability of making extrapolations and interpolations which through observation also turned out to be true.

Thorough mastery of math as a language has had great value. However, that does not mean mathematics is immune to the same pitfalls as any traditional wordplay. For example:

>This statement is false

Turns the English language on itself. Observable reality does not have such paradox. The paradox only exists after the arrangement of words within its language. I reiterate: math is a grand thing, but it is not infallible.
>>
>>137235019
>avoids the question and starts throwing insults

Heh. Don't get mad at me because you tried to argue against math and lost lol.
>>
>>137235213
wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics
>>
>>137235213
>>137235465
Attempt to educate yourself and stop shitting up the place because it's bad enough without your leafposting trash
>>
>>137235156
The fact that mathematical notation can be abused to say absurd things doesn't mean that the observed laws that we derived the language from aren't true.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (7KB, 155x126px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
7KB, 155x126px
>>137217114
What doth lief?
>>
>>137235571
How about you attempt to kill yourself instead of trying to argue against math, losing, and getting butthurt and throwing insults in a fit of rage
>>
>>137235681
Also let me give you a real fucking easy hint: unless your consciousness exists on some elevated plane, conceptualizing infinity or the infinitesimal requires a bit of hand-wavy abstraction and formal definitions of what is "rigorous". The Entirety of Calculus relies on these definitions. These definitions are by default >>>abstractions<<<. It's obvious you haven't taken literally 1 second to think on this
>>
>>137235094
>I don't care what your theory on consciousness is. You jumped into our conversation, like a faggot, and started saying stupid shit like "In order for you to know that the box isn't a cat, you personally would have to know what a cat is" like a complete and total moron.

I was explaining to you why your little parable was crack full of holes and terrible way to defend your argument. You keep trying to explain the scientific method to me like I don't know what it is. And actually you do need to know the closest approximation to the truth to reject or conclude a hypothesis. What you were doing was telling people they are wrong without having any idea or definition of the idea yourself. You might want to stop now.
>>
>>137236210
This fucking faggot is STILL talking about the notation, which is by definition an abstraction, instead of the underlying principles.

Holy shit kill yourself you massive retard. It's clear you haven't read a single word of that wikipedia article you linked. You're worse than those SJWs at Google that fired that guy without even reading the memo.
>>
>>137235681
in this case, someone chose to use math specifically to argue absurd things. see initial offender:

>>>so far the most logical, is only a chemical reaction.
>>Actually, from a mathematical perspective (the MOST purely logical system) this is necessarily false for the following reason:
>>Consider a set S = (x,y,z). S is distinct from any of the elements that it contains. S is not x. S is not y. S is not z. S is a distinct entity onto itself.

(S is supposed to be consciousness)

This is an obvious abuse of math as a language. At no point does this particular arrangement in math notation give any credibility to the argument.
>>
>>137236656
Have you even into maths my man? There's nothing absolute about math. You define a set of rules, and then work within those rules. The glory of maths is the fact that the rules we have defined for ourselves turns out to be extremely useful and more or less universal.

Come now, leaf
>>
File: hq720.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hq720.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
>>137236609
>you do need to know the closest approximation to the truth to reject or conclude a hypothesis.

This fuckin' guy. Ok, NOW you're just trolling.

Here's a link to the wikipedia article about the scientific method, which you clearly have never heard of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
>>
>>137236766
Using the symbol S to refer to the distinct entity that is not one of its contained elements x, y, or z is "abuse" of the language?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>137237304
"S" is a distinct entity only as you have defined it so. There's nothing in your "proof" that S is distinct from cuz other than you saying it is. Or perhaps you were pointing out that S is indeed a different letter that x, y or z? In which case I suppose you're right, but only because the definition of the English language designates "s" to be distinct
>>
>>137237604
cuz="xyz"... Typo
>>
>>137236998
Give it up for the leaf, he has pretty much pissed off the entire thread and laid logical argument into it's coffin while pissing on it.

You have to test a hypothesis and validate it through experiment to lend credence to if it is true or not. You are trying to reach the closest approximation to the truth with your hypothesis in order to explain observed phenomenons. I've actually worked in the STEM career field, how about you leaf?
>>
>>137236929
Holy shit. You're still talking about the rules we define ourselves as opposed to the actual principles underpinning nature itself.

The rules we invent wouldn't give useful predictions if the underlying principles weren't true. Fuck.
>>
>>137237304
>Using the symbol S to refer to the distinct entity that is not one of its contained elements x, y, or z is "abuse" of the language?
>(snipped idiocy)

Yes. The claim that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts was translated into mathematics(also poorly by using Sets), never made the initial claim more valid. It's just juvenile word re-arranging.
>>
>>137237739
1:01 when
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
The altar to God
>is there a God?
Yes, any idiot with eyes knows that
There are no other planets
No, only demons pretending to be aliens
>what is time?
A physical property of space-time, AKA our prison cell
>>
>>137237604
You really need someone to explain to you that a set of apples is different from one of the particular apples in the set?

There's an abstracted language for communicating this very type of idea. It's called set theory. Using set theory, in exactly the way it's supposed to be used, is not "abuse" of the language.
>>
>>137237739
Yes dipshit and math is our ABSTRACTION of these principles that exist. Math is our way of adapting our perception of "natural order" so as to make use of it in a meaningful way.

When I tell you that a derivative is "the inststantaneous rate of change" and ask you to conceptualize the idea of infinitesimal time-steps there's nothing to that other than it's an idea that we can share between our two brains that holds significance for future application after your reception of said knowledge
>>
>>137238105
All of language is an abstraction, and grouping things together is not a new "thing". Rather it only relies on our concepts of what objects are apart from ourselves. There's nothing intrinsically true about a group of apples apart from your ability to distinguish individual apples and then recognize that there are more than one of them. Your idea of set theory is just a rearrangement of syntax and is utterly useless
>>
>>137237764
>never made the initial claim more valid.

The claim is either true or false. No amount of math or argument would ever change the truth of the claim. The point was to more clearly explain the distinction of a whole from its parts, which it did perfectly well. It was actually the perfect usage of set theory, because that's why it was invented. For clearly referring to sets and items inside sets.

At this point, you really have no argument anymore. It's been fun!
>>
>>137238105
It's abuse of the language. The claim that x, y, z parts of the brain group to S, consciousness, just because Set theory, a (mathematical) language tool constructed by man to model physical predictions is downright absurd.

It has absolutely no validity.

The initial mistake of the poster was, and I think this is rather clear, that mathematics is an innate underlying logical system in which the universe patterns itself after, rather than a human language which patterns itself after the observable world. Any actual mathematician could tell you that.
>>
>>137238895
Run away from the argument chicken shit faggot
buttblasted anus huffing LEAF
Go full fucking retard and run away. keep your cognitive dissonance intact, retreat to your safety bubble!
>>
>>137238957
The eternal leaf strikes again
>>
>>137238783
>All of language is an abstraction, and grouping things together is not a new "thing".

Lol, why are you telling me this? This doesn't help your argument at all. In fact, you don't even have a real argument anymore. You've been reduced to trying to argue that using set theory to distinguish a set from it's constituent parts is "abuse of the language" when in fact the only reason the languages exists is to be used as a mechanism of referring to sets, lmao.

You've dug yourself so far into a hole at this point, I feel bad for you man.
>>
>>137239394
You literally assert the "existence" of "S" by YOUR definition of "S" as being "xyz". And then you quote set theory like you know what you're shitting out on your keyboard. Just fucking rake yourself.
>>
>>137238957

>mathematics is an innate underlying logical system in which the universe patterns itself after, rather than a human language which patterns itself after the observable world.

Tell that to
>>137239278

He's struggling to understand this.
>>
>>137239762
>>137239269

Anyways, you guys are both butthurt losers that just got simultaneously destroyed in a 2v1 argument lol

And, ironically it was on a subject that both of you thought you knew a lot about.

Unfortunately, your hubris lead you to a humiliating and frustrating defeat, culminating in a debate about whether or not set theory should be used for referring to sets.

Turns out that yes, that is indeed what it's supposed to be used for. Who knew?

gg no re lmao
>>
>>137240030
LEAF with delusions
>>
>>137239765
>mathematics is an innate underlying logical system in which the universe patterns itself after, rather than a human language which patterns itself after the observable world.

Lel. This is what the apparent truth is. The only reason we continue to utilize mathematical constructs is because it has UTILITY. Its circular reasoning: we use math because it appears to have function, and it appears to have function because that's how we use math.
>>
>>137240030
You're invoking "set theory" to support your inane reassembling of syntax you stupid leaf
>>
>>137240395
LEAF intentionally misquotes to imply the exact opposite of what is actually said.

Mathmatics is a language. It's useful. But it is no more than that.
>>
>had my first existential crisis as a wee lad
>felt like shit for a few days
>then it just kinda went away and i'm fine
am i the only one?
>>
>>137240577
We must wage jihad against our northern agressor
>>
>>137217114
>what is consciousness?
Jewish conspiration
>is there a God?
Bashar Al-Assad
better than on earth because there are no jews in other planetss
Yup, nazis live on the dark side on the moon and aliens live on mars
>what is time?
Jewish conspiration
>>
File: skv11862396658082.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
skv11862396658082.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
Say hello to the fallen angels
>>
File: 1499806335749.jpg (1MB, 1160x7500px) Image search: [Google]
1499806335749.jpg
1MB, 1160x7500px
>>137241570
>>
>>137240120
>>137240395
>>137240558
>>137240577

>being this salty
>>
>>137217308
you're half right. the correct answer is 'neurotransmitters', of which dopamine is one of many
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.