[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychological Profile of the Alt-Right

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_20170810_164908.png (452KB, 1561x921px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810_164908.png
452KB, 1561x921px
This paper was released yesterday which attempts to measure some psychological traits of people who identify as "alt-right" compared to the broader population. Here's some of their more interesting findings:

>Alt-right adherents were much more distrustful of the mainstream media and government; expressed higher Dark Triad traits, social dominance orientation, and authoritarianism; reported high levels of aggression; and exhibited extreme levels of overt intergroup bias, including blatant dehumanization of racial minorities.

>the alt-right sample reported much higher levels of [social dominance orientation], [right-wing authoritarianism], the motivations to express prejudice, harassing and offensive behavior, perceptions that the altright’s ingroups were at a disadvantage, concern about discrimination against the alt-right’s ingroups, concern about security issues, respect for the police, trust in alternative media, support for collective action on behalf of White people, and opposition to collective action on behalf of Black people. The alt-right sample also reported lower levels of embeddedness among ideologically similar friends, internal motivation to respond without prejudice, perceptions that the alt-right’s outgroups are at a disadvantage, concern about traditional liberal issues, and trust in mainstream media. Finally, the alt-right sample reported much higher levels of dehumanization of religious and ethnic groups, as well as the alt-right’s political opposition groups.

>...These mean levels imply that people in the alt-right sample only slightly disagree with statements like “Avoiding interactions with Black people is important to my self-concept” (IMP) and “I avoid interactions with Blacks because of pressure from others” (EMP), and reported doing things like “Online, physically threatened another person” (harassment) and “Offline, made a statement because others find it offensive” (offense) somewhat frequently.

https://osf.io/preprints/psyarxiv/c9uvw
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810_165511.png (673KB, 1586x973px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810_165511.png
673KB, 1586x973px
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810_165720.png (269KB, 1020x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810_165720.png
269KB, 1020x1169px
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810_170157.png (408KB, 1315x721px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810_170157.png
408KB, 1315x721px
They were also able to find two distinct groups, which they call "populists" and "supremacists".

> The larger cluster (N = 226), which we labeled the “populists”, was distinguished by its relatively high levels of concern about government corruption, M = 5.68, SD = 1.48. The smaller cluster (N = 217), which we labeled “supremacists”, was distinguished by their higher levels of SDO, their heavy dehumanization of ethnic/religious outgroups and political opposition groups (national ascent: M = 51.49, SD = 29.51; opposition ascent: M = 51.68, SD = 29.68), and their internal and external motivations to express prejudice toward Black people (IMP: M = 4.85, SD = 2.18; EMP: M = 4.16, SD = 2.11) — all features central to the view of certain groups of people as inferior to others. The people in this cluster also reported high levels of Dark Triad traits, M = 4.53, SD = .93 and aggressive behavior (harassment: M = 3.01, SD = 1.49; offense: M = 3.98, SD = 1.40), constructs that we interpreted as indicative of extremist tendencies. Of note, the supremacist cluster was also high relative to the populist cluster in their ideological embeddedness among other alt-right friends.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170810_170314.png (509KB, 1313x808px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170810_170314.png
509KB, 1313x808px
>>136865717
>We should note that, although those belonging to the supremacist cluster prioritized the interests of White people, this was neither their exclusive concern nor their singular defining characteristic. Indeed, as we note above, populists and supremacists alike were equally high in their desire for White collective action and their opposition to the BLM movement. Rather, supremacists were most notably distinct from populists in their willingness to derogate other groups, including but not limited to Blacks. To illustrate, in addition to perceiving Black people half-way between the ape-like human ancestor and the modern “full” human (M = 51.45, SD = 33.35), supremacists similarly dehumanized Democrats (M = 52.15, SD = 33.90) and journalists from mainstream media outlets (M = 51.48, SD = 34.29), and rated both Muslims (M = 44.78, SD = 34.68) and feminists (M = 46.88, SD = 34.19) closer to the ape-like human ancestor than the modern human.
>>
bump, any thoughts on this?
>>
>>136864930
>Alt-right adherents were much more distrustful of the mainstream media and government; expressed higher Dark Triad traits, social dominance orientation, and authoritarianism; reported high levels of aggression; and exhibited extreme levels of overt intergroup bias, including blatant dehumanization of racial minorities.
Water is wet
>>
>>136867122
The distrust and bias stuff is expected, but I found the higher Dark Triad traits amusing. Psychologically predisposed to steal women from numales.
>>
Couldn't open OPs link but PDF is here if anyone is interested
https://files.osf.io/v1/resources/xge8q/providers/osfstorage/598b6d749ad5a1023d72b8cc?action=download&version=5&direct
>>
>>136864930
We must be gaining pretty well if we are worth studying. I'm not sure I'm smart enough to read and understand everything correctly, but it seems interesting so I'll give it a gander.
>>
>>136864930
alt-right is the purest!
>>
>>136868493
>(((DARK TRIAD)))

Its likely defining not studying. Need to look into how this could have been biased. Too tempting for (((science))) to define whatever it does not like as a bad thing.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.