[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/JPG/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: jpg.png (627KB, 494x631px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.png
627KB, 494x631px
-- Jordan Peterson General --

ITT we post what we intend to do after cleaning our rooms; techniques, systems and strategies for building up discipline and accountability in our lives.

Book discussion also allowed.

Please dial down the phylosophical faggotry, it doesn't help at all to keep masturbating around words, only actual change-producing systems here.
Interesding links:

>The Return of the Well Cultured Anonymous
https://github.com/bibanon/bibanon/wiki/The-Return-of-the-Well-Cultured-Anonymous

>Biblical Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w&index=1&list=PL22J3VaeABQD_IZs7y60I3lUrrFTzkpat

>Maps of Meaning 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Xc2_FtpHI&list=PL22J3VaeABQAT-0aSPq-OKOpQlHyR4k5h

>Personalit and its Tranformations 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKpqpBRVr8Y&list=PL22J3VaeABQAhrMCQUa6sde_Y9DVbLYRv&index=1

>Inteview with James Damore, Google Memo Writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDuVF7kiPU
>>
So im trying to figure out a logic for Habit formation/accountability:

So far ive realized Habits can be spearated in two:
1- Counters
2- Cronometers

1 - Counters can be divided in +1 and +X counters.
Ex:
- Today i took a bath
- Today i did X squats

2 - Cronometers have a push-in/push-out dynamic, you push-in when you start, you push-out when you stop

Counters and Cronometers can be amalgameted in lists, for example:

-Hygyene:
--Shower (Counter +1)
--Cut nails (Counter +1)
--Brush hair (Counter +1)
--Brush Teeth (Cronometer)
--Floss (Counter +1)

-Exercise:
--Push-downs(Counter +X)
--Push-ups(Counter +X)
--Squats(Counter +X)
--Bicycle/Running(Cronometer)

Accountability then can be graphed:
-In case of +1 counters: Yes/no by day, increase of +1 by months
-In case of +X counters: Amount of counts by day, increase of amount by months
-In case of cronometers: Time spent doing it by day, increase of time spent by months

Counters and Cronometers can also be divided in Positive and Negative, Ex: Negative Counter +X Habits such as "Smoked a Cigarrette/Joint", Positive as in "Amount of pages read"; Negative Cronometer Habits Such as "Time spent in /pol/", Positive as in "Time spent doing aerobic exercise"
>>
File: 1501493734730.jpg (62KB, 320x502px) Image search: [Google]
1501493734730.jpg
62KB, 320x502px
i approve of this thread, but i'm too tired to properly participate
>>
>>136798051
>so welcome to psychology
>*nods off*
>personality
>*wakes up suddenly
>transformation
>*snores*
Am I watching a reanimated corpse?
>>
>>136798249
You're watching intellectual fascism educating our stupid asses in as safe a way as possible without getting canned.
>>
Habits then, can be thought of as a list of possible actions to embark on, of which an empirical result can be measured.
So we have to think *when* should these Habits be done.

So we have:
- Every day
- X days of the week (1 - 6) (7 would be every day)
- Every X amount of time (measured in days)
- Every X day of month

Then we can start thinking about lower limits, upper limits are kind of retarded unless we are thinking about Negative Habits or about fitting several Habits in our 16 hour schedule (8hs sleep)

So, should i do this one time a day? Two times a day? 10 repetitions? 20 repetitions? 5 mins? 30 mins? Ex: "Brush Teeth (5min)" "Do Squats(20)"

So then we can say an Habit is:
-Either a counter or a cronometer
-Can be positive or negative
-Should be possible to graph empirically
-Can be divided in groups that by themselves form a single Habit that should be fully completed to count as a +1
-Has a *when* clause that determines the temporal placement of its repetition
-It has a lower limit of which determines completion accuracy
>>
So, we now we are *counting* shit we do repeatdly, ie: Habits. We are taking accountability of how bad sth is fucking us, and how good we are getting at sth. By graphing it, we are getting a comprehensive view of it through time.

So we got:

1- A list of bad habits we are measuring to get a grasp of how its increasing/decreasing during time, also how much of it we are doing it, Ex: "I drank X bottles"

2- A list of shit we want to do *at the present 16hs cycle* and a comprehensive accountability for it.

Now, the reason for doing all this thinking about the nature of Habits, is to employ it in a way that compels us and reminds us to keep pushing.

So once we've got our Habits being logged, accounted for, both as +1/+X counters, and as Cronometers, we can see to the past and compare our progress/decay.

But what we are lacking is a way to push this list of thoughts/expected actions to the forefront of our mind.
>>
We've heard, from Liberals and almost everyone in our lives, that "knowing thyself" is a clear Western modern paragon.

However, according to Foucault in "Technologies of the Self", "know thyself" was connected to the Greek Habit of writing down in a journal both one's thoughts, and one's progress in fitness. Specifically in fitness they both planned explicit exercise schedules and took log of their progress through time, for example they would do as many pushups as they could, then log it down, and then, a month later, revisit their progress and were able to *SEE* how their amount of max pushups had increased over time.

So to *know thyself* is to *log* and *revisit* in the hopes that future sight on accountability will produce both motivation and consciousness over the real situation of Habits in one's life.
>>
File: Wjk366Md.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Wjk366Md.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
Current technologies make logging and display huge amounts of data a thing of seconds.

However, even though we could make a progam right now that logged and prettily displayed our Habit formation in this very next hour, the truth is we would download it, fill it, and then avoid opening it.

This is the main problem with the quantification of Habit formation.

However, if anything can help this, is omnipresent computers (mobile), gamification: specifically reminders of progresss ("Congratulations you have not smoked in 10 days!!"), and shifty use of notifications and attention-grabbing methods. Also, in the case of mobile you can jump over the need of opening the program, its just there, omnipresently opened in the background, waiting for the moment to call you a faggot.

What we are left then, is with a problem of COMPELLING. How to make the user achieve his self-proposed goals? How to break his procastinating Habit? How to make him into a real human being??
>>
Come on faggits, help me fix Habit formation for all of us, i know this kind of looks like data mining, but i also laid down the whole process for anyone to grab and run with it, i don't care if i make it, you make it, or some other guy makes it, the point is to make it happen so it can benefit all of us.

You've already cleaned your room, what now? THIS. Habit formation
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.