[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the state of Middle and High School Education?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

is Public education actually broken? Or is it on the students themselves who cannot be legislated into better performance

Is public education preparing students to obtain jobs? is it the duty of Public education to do this?

is a high school degree worth anything, and if not why are we still doing it? or does it need to be shifted and starting higher content at earlier ages?
>>
>>136173104
>education
>don't learn how to change a car tire
>don't learn how to file taxes
>not one single lesson on divorce law
>nothing about home maintenance except for "it's split into jobs you pay people to do with your job, which ostensibly involves computers"
>don't even know how to submit a fishing permit

educaySHAM.
>>
>>136173104
Its broken but not in the way people think. There always the idea of throwing more money at it and it has an affect but not in the desire method we want. Instead of helping children it helps create jobs for shitty teachers in teacher unions.
The big issue is that the money goes towards funding mostly administrative positions that are held by unsatisfactory teachers who get a good union job at a school. This cost is a waste that goes away from the child. Instead of building or upgrading schools, getting better books and equipment and providing a better learning environment for a child. We end up lining the pockets of a cunt behind a counter who barely knows how to do their job.
>>
>>136173104
public schools in the US are completely dumbed-down to prevent failing shitloads of dumbass niggers and spics. want a good laugh? look at what public school kids were learning in maths and reading in the 1960 to 1970s and compare to today.
>>
>>136173809
Furthermore I would like to add that a new issue is that government money is now going towards standardize testing. SAT, ACT, state test, etc. These are all massive money pits as there is guarantee money to be made from these. It has gotten so bad that these test producers can hold a school system hostage as it forces the system to focus on teaching students the gist of the test they will be taking and having the knowledge and practice test also cost money. Standardize test are making American dumber and making them feel dumber as the United States holds higher standards through grades compared to other countries.
>>
>>136173104
Schools reflect their underlying demographics. I went to an unremarkable public school in a small town, and it was fine. We didn't have that many "resources" or fancy facilities, but the teachers were mainly locals, the students were overwhelmingly white with a few red injuns and hispanics, and my education was more than sufficient.

This is the fundamental truth. You don't need "education reform" to "fix" the schools; you need a better population from which to draw your students in the first place.
>>
>>136174588
>Its not the system, its the people who can't benefit from it.
>Muh small town.
>>
>>136173104
public education is broken as fuck. My wife works as admin in publication and they are pushing what she calls "commie" education where they do away with grades and progress when the system deems them ready. as it stands right now, its already pozzed beyond belief with hardly any emphasis on learning to think critically, self-motivate and self-discipline. its bad guys. whatever victories are won today feel weak when looking at the current education system. the leftists/jews/globalists/commies win by playing the long game and at this they excell.
it's bad guys
>>
>>136174262

so would teaching this curriculum earlier help?

having stupid people with jobs we could redpill later would be preferable to stupid people on welfare
>>
>>136175025
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-18/its-absurd-6-baltimore-schools-have-zero-students-proficient-state-math-english-test
There's so much information readily available nowadays, and yet shit like this still continues to happen. It really boils down to whether or not the students actually want to learn.
>>
>>136175025
It's really NOT the system. "Education" is not a single quality or property; it's a process whose limits are determined by the ability of your students to learn. This ability is heavily influenced by the average IQ of the school.

No amount of SYSTEM reform will overcome that reality, because it's an INPUT problem, not a processing problem. You can't make chocolate from shit, silk from a sow's ear, etc.
>>
File: japaneseneighborhoodcorner.jpg (220KB, 1280x1792px) Image search: [Google]
japaneseneighborhoodcorner.jpg
220KB, 1280x1792px
>>136173104
Education in America is fundamentally broken. Instead of giving adequate funding to all of our public schools, we use property taxes to fund the systems. This results in some schools having no money whatsoever while others (in wealthier areas) have enough funding. Funding all of the schools at the highest price point would cost no money at all compared to the total GDP of the country, but we continue to work in an outdated and broken system.
The education system is shit because "people" want it to be shit. "Somebody" stands to profit from poor people graduating at a 15% rate compared to a 98% rate at middle class to wealthy communities.
Fund the schools. Give them activities to keep the kids off the streets and enough money to hold classes and programs. Things will work out.
>>
>>136174262
lets not forget the kind of political bullshit they sneak into these tests. my kid's essay portion on the SAT asked whether america should focus on fixing problems here or abroad.
>>
>>136175809
Read the link I posted.
>Baltimore schools spend a staggering $16,00 per student - the fourth-highest rate in the nation
It doesn't matter how much money you spend on schooling if the students in your district don't have the aptitude or simply aren't willing to put in any effort.
>>
File: greatmigrationofairplanes.jpg (262KB, 1259x827px) Image search: [Google]
greatmigrationofairplanes.jpg
262KB, 1259x827px
>>136176199
Yes, I saw the link right after I posted my comment. Adaquate funding is only the beginning of fixing the cultural shitshow US inner cities have going on. We might be able to keep the better ones from falling victim to the fast money gangs have to offer, and maybe raise the graduation rates to at least 50% in those schools, but a combination of factors ranging from poor family structure to low IQ's to the war on drugs have turned those communities into slums, and those problems take generations to fix. At this point, the best thing to do would be to stop the bleeding and help the good ones get out.
>>
>>136175738
It's also heavily influenced at home, too - low income kids rarely get encouragement from parents to excel. They treat education as free daycare, until the kid hits 16, and they drop out.

We've sunk billions of dollars into inner-city schools, with worse results every year. The whole thing is clearly broken at that level. But nobody can say that, they're too afraid of being attacked for being racist.
>>
>>136175668
The issue is we need to have parent and teacher involvement on a level that new teachers just won't put out unless it would be required by a school to do some form of bettering themselves. This is usually done through standardize test but once again this leads to teaching students to test, not to think. I would personally like to see mandatory extracurricular activity for students at a certain grade level. Maybe as low as 4th grade but 6th grade and up would be the best target.

>>136175674
It has really become an options to not learn these days. This is where a parent needs to also get involved with their child to ensure they are taking it serious. We have too many people taking it less serious but magical GPA is up on average.

>>136175738
>It's an input problem.
Clearly you never seen the difference between students who went to schools in the categories of public, private, and on military bases. There needs to be more interaction among the child in education from an earlier start. Elementary that focuses on improving an individual is far better then forcing them to take a test.

>>136175923
There nothing wrong with such a question however it is concerning if they were to be graded depending on their choice. If you find out they got a worst mark due to contradicting opinion against whoever said that. Call them out on their shit. Be a parent.
>>
File: hubert-colosseum.jpg (107KB, 330x282px) Image search: [Google]
hubert-colosseum.jpg
107KB, 330x282px
>>136173104
>is Public education actually broken?
All public institutions are corrupt, dysfunctional, in decline.
The fall of education is merely the slowest, most widespread, pernicious, and obvious to the general public, though only on the scale of decades.
Collapse is not an event. It is a process.
>>
>>136173104
Middle school was a huge waste of time.
Forced to read and "learn" about religions, have to attend music classes even tho absolutely no interest in creating music.
Physical education or gym class was just goofing around and playing games no real exercise.
Shop class was pretty neat and I liked art class when it was practical not art history, lots of kids didn't like to draw so I feel bad they had to endure it. Some can barely draw a stick figure today.

Finally high school.
Same shit, you just got a few extra classes you kinda wanted. But mixed in with useless garbage.

(college is free in peoples republic of swedistan)
Went on to study game graphics.
Some really neat classes but they were outnumbered with pure distilled academic bullshittery. Whole place completely overrun with pk shit and feminism.
Forced to attend gender studies, had to turn in paper basically prostrating before to the vaginal jew overlords. Last straw. Dropped out, couldn't take it anymore.
I now work in a somewhat unrelated field after trade school.

In short. It was all just a huge gigantic waste of time. My best years for learning down the toilet. Thanks for making me think of all the time I'll never get back.

Compulsory education should be the bare minimum of what you need to function.
The basics of maths and physics/chemistry and biology. Keep language as is but everything else should be optional.

Have all the rest of the time be focused on whatever.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.