[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good reading material on rome?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 1501818185013.jpg (920KB, 2204x1469px) Image search: [Google]
1501818185013.jpg
920KB, 2204x1469px
hey anons

looking for some good reading material on the roman republic and roman empire and julius himself.

I've heard good things about decline and fall of roman empire, spqr, and tom hollands rubicon?

Are these good books, and do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>136110418
a good starter point that I currently use is a channel on Youtube called Historia Civilis

the guy directly reads historical accounts by Romans, including Ceasar himself, and makes animations about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fF5l2xYh0&list=PLODnBH8kenOp7y_w1CWTtSLxGgAU6BR8M&ab_channel=HistoriaCivilis

this one is in historical chronological order.

The early videos of course have weak audio, but the later ones are good quality.
>>
>>136110658
cheers, this looks like a good resource.
>>
File: late_roman_empire_threads.png (63KB, 687x716px) Image search: [Google]
late_roman_empire_threads.png
63KB, 687x716px
>>136110418
First i'd go to /his/ for recommendations.

Rubicon is good entry level stuff. If you want to read about the decline and fall I would suggest Adrian Goldsworthy's Fall of the Roman Superpower. It's an excellent overview of the period.
>>
>>136111781
cheers, was looking for a pol perspective but ill head over there as well.

goldsworthy book looks interesting
>>
>>136110418
If you want to read something straight from the source, read Livids "Ab urbe condita", which deals with Romes history from the founding of the city up untill emperor Augustus. It really gives you a Roman perspective on Rome. You can probably get a translated version somewhere at your local libary. However, it's a description of Romes history, not an analysis.
>>
>>136110418
I wish I could recommend Mary Beards SPQR, but she's definitely a socjus regressivist shit. If you can set that aside on the occasion, you get to watch her squirm against obvious redpills in Roman society compared to today.

She literally breaks down at the end having to confess that giving every person Roman citizenship destroyed Rome and it did not create a warm metropolitan multicultural haven. It fucked it and she has to reconcile it.

The way she reconciles it is by saying that the lessons of yesterday aren't always accurate for today. Still, you could tell she's cognizant she's copping out. If you can put that all aside, it's very informative and interesting.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.