[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: viet-MMAP-md.png (143KB, 1036x733px) Image search: [Google]
viet-MMAP-md.png
143KB, 1036x733px
Was it worth it?
>>
Who can say? Communism didn't spread, for which I think most here are thankful. Did Vietnam contribute to that enough to be worth the loss of life?
>>
>>136104082
It was a civil war for Vietnam. The countries really to ask about this are Cambodia and Laos. We had no declared war with them but dropped more bombs on them than we did on Germany.

Not that I can say I feel bad about it, but it seems like the armed conflict in SE Asia at the time was least worth it for them. Laotians still die when they plow their fields and hit an unexploded bomb.
>>
>>136104082
Fucking lefty hippies, they fucked everything up.
>>
>>136104082
What, for the French? Probably not.
>>
>>136104082
america already helped the south Vietnamese defeat the 1970 wave of northern invasion. all they had to do was continue fighting and there would've been a south Vietnam today.
>>
>>136104293
>Communism didn't spread
Except through the countries that had a war on in that time.
Nice going, Yanks.
>>
>>136105569
More than the hippies, it was Robert S MacNamara. He micromanaged the war to an extent that the generals could not use the strategies they should have.

Example 1: MacNamara made a rule that we would not bomb more than 100 meters away from the Ho Chi Minh trail. So the gooks just started walking 100+ meters away from the trail.

Example 2: Whenever a surface-to-air missile site was installed, it was policy to wait until it was operational before we were allowed to attack it. There was fear that they may be Russian advisers setting up the missile sites, and the US was afraid of starting an actual war with the USSR.

In all-out, WWII-style warfare we could have easily defeated that country.

>>136106011
>Nice going, Yanks.
Germany, by comparison, has never fucked up in its military ventures.
>>
>>136104082
Yes if only for Tila Tequila
>>
File: 1381003641407.jpg (109KB, 950x554px) Image search: [Google]
1381003641407.jpg
109KB, 950x554px
>>136104082
Here are the items on the scale for the U.S.:

One side:
> 50,000+ dead
> 80,000+ PTSD suicides
> embarrassment of losing to mud farmers

Other side:
> Apocalypse Now
> Full Metal Jacket
> Platoon
> The Deer Hunter
>>
>>136104082
Look-up: "The Pheonix Project" to understand the IS involvement in vietnam.
>>
File: IMG_6860.jpg (492KB, 1650x2550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6860.jpg
492KB, 1650x2550px
>>136107988
Pheonix Program*
>>
>>136107453
>embarrassment of losing to mud farmers
>Other side:
I guess this makes sense, seeing as you got your knowledge of history from movies.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.