[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you most effectively engage with opposing viewpoints?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: l vs r vs pol.jpg (292KB, 953x772px)
l vs r vs pol.jpg
292KB, 953x772px
From an earlier thread

>what would be common issues that wouldn't butt heads (between the right and left)
I think most issues today have been politicized to the point where it's easy to strawman an argument against them; however, I feel that educating people in logic vs emotion is a good place to start, as both have their places in our society.

My reasoning here is that, when debating politically, most people that I engage with project personal insecurities into their arguments which, while not wrong, does nothing to further their point while turning me into an adversary relative to their moral compass if I happen to disagree.

From what I experienced, the conflation of logic and emotion in our society is what's preventing the logical right and emotional left from working together; in the larger picture, stubborn people on both sides refuse to even try seeing things from others' perspectives.

This is the point where communication breaks down and assumption begin to form which, I strongly feel, is where people begin to resent opposing viewpoints as opposed to engaging with them.

So this brings me to my subject header: how do you (personally) most effectively engage with opposing viewpoints?
>>
>>136053472
The only thing that has ever changed anyone's mind is mockery
>>
>>136053536
Nah man, my good friend who started lurking before me just asked me a lot of questions and it led me here due to his understanding of my mentality.

He told me he knew that mocking my view of the world would only cause me to dig my heels in deeper and, so, tried to frame it in a way that I would find this place myself and, well, he succeeded.

I used to hate this place and, now, I can see the good that can come from it. It's not like there's nothing here I disagree with, but now I'm able to see it through a slightly more objective lens.
>>
File: Kp8eimX.png (642KB, 3840x2160px)
Kp8eimX.png
642KB, 3840x2160px
Shameless bump; I want to read what you have to write
>>
>>136053472
I most often take the Socratic approach, where I ask questions that cause the person to look at the foundation or presuppositions of the argument. Because if those are false, anything that comes after will be too.

The only convincing arguments are consistent ones. So I will also often switch the words they've used around to pin the argument in the opposite direction.

For instance, I was arguing with a Catholic at one point about what constitutes worship. So I took a known prayer directed at Mary, and replaced every instance of Mary with God and placed them side by side. I asked which, if any were worship. The problem he ran into was that if someone were make that prayer to God, you would without hesitation consider it worship.

It's most important when arguing with someone to reserve judgement, no matter how racist, sexist, or retarded their argument is. If you combat them with hostility, they will only feel justified in their beliefs and sink deeper in their convictions.
>>
>>136055310
You sound like the friend I described heh. Thank you for your words.
>>
>>136053536
Yeah that's worked really great for the SJWs
>>
last bump
>>
>>136055783
>>136056927
For sure. Thanks for responding in your thread.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.