[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education, trades, and careers advice

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 306
Thread images: 29

File: 1501194222239.gif (3MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1501194222239.gif
3MB, 384x288px
Let's help those that are younger than us (or older trying to make a change) chose their careers or give general advice to /pol/ to those that are unsure and trying to find their path in life

Let's talk options and advice on
>Universities, med law, gradschool
>Trades
>Military careers
>Agriculture
>Minimum wagecucks
>Whatever else I am missing

Help your fellow anons out.

Hopefully this gets popular enough to build and actually do some good.

>PhD in chemistry of you want to chat.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (229KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
229KB, 1080x1080px
Roof bitch here, make sure your trade isn't seasonal, but if it is then assure a career for those off-season months. Getting into the trades is fairly easy, licensed trades..well not so much. You can get an apprenticeship and earn as you learn, which is usually above minimum wage.

Or keep flipping those burgies and making my coffee, I don't care.
>>
I'm planning on taking an apprenticeship in horticulture atm, was also thinking about electrical engineering.
>>
>>135900211
Got my MSc in Ecology from University of Colorado. Ended up becoming a Wildlife Officer (Game Warden). Law Enforcement can be a very fulfilling career, and I mostly bust poachers and, recently, deport illegals with the help of ICE.
>>
Audio engineer here. If you're thinking of a career in creative industries AMA, let me shatter your dreams.
>>
>>135903442
>Shatter your dreams
He's right.

>t. Freelance VFX, most recently for Netflix
>>
File: 1490241167109.gif (1MB, 381x260px) Image search: [Google]
1490241167109.gif
1MB, 381x260px
>>135900211
Fix me /pol/

>Mother and Father divorce, age 1 1/2
>Mother and Father go through the custody battle.
>Switch schools alot going from Texas to other states.
>Basically grew up without a father in my life.

Now lets skip ahead

>23
>No college.
>Working shit Call center.
>House is a failing trailer that's condemnable if an offical saw my house.
>Smoke weed all day and Cigs.
>Life just kinda rolls by.

I know what I want to be, I just don't think I can do it.
>>
well
>>
>>135900211
I went to school for IT just because I had no clue what I wanted in life. I now have a full ride for cyber security. The government is desperate for cyber security. Great time to get in.
>>
>>135904018
Computers! I'm telling you there taking anyone. Go find a college that the NSA approves of and get a 4 year in information technology security. Also study up on ethical hacking, network security certifications. Big money to be made and there desperate.
>>
>>135904018

Sell drugs to make your dreams come true.
>>
>>135904738
I'm already incredibly computer savy. Maybe forgot to mention my job is Technical support for Apple.

I've read the Security + Comptia and Networking + as well, just can't get a cert or atleast don't know how. Also I know prolog but that was a useless thing to learn
>>
If your 23-28 wish, aren't married and burned out on life join the military. Its a lot better if you have a good attitude and a few years out of school to gain some life perspective before going in.
>>
I've always had a hard on for history, but there are almost no job prospects for a history major and I'm not good enough in the STEM fields to consider majoring in one. Send help.
>>
>>135904018
Reunite with your Dad, like Steve Holt in Arrested Development.
>>
>>135905053
You just have to study for the test then schedule one at the nearest testing agency. I'm currently working on my Networking +. I'd recommend taking some classes to.
>>
>>135905186
Wish I joined out of high school
>>
File: pewdiepie-nazi-960x623.jpg (156KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
pewdiepie-nazi-960x623.jpg
156KB, 960x540px
>>135904541
what do you do?
>>
>>135905681
Right now I work IT at a school part time and am being paid by the government to go to school.
>>
>>135905245
Why don't you think your good enough for stem?
>>
>>135905466
Where?

My dream was to be an AI programmer.

Literally since I saw Space Odyssey. Hal 9000 was my inspiration. But my life took some turns and I don't know how to stop spiraling.

Also how easy is the Certs? From what I saw Security + was just access control lists, firewalls, physical security, RFID stuff for the badge policy, sever security and etc.

>>135905420
This is a whole other issue. I don't know how to feel about my father. He's always been cold and distant, not sure he loved me. I'm older now and know he does very much. But it feels like too much time has gone by
>>
have a b.s. in microbiology and lots of IT knowledge with security + certification andddd a top secret clearance

I'm set

feels good
>>
>>135905903
https://certification.comptia.org/testing/schedule-exam

There a pain because they expect you to know so many things that you'll set up once then won't touch till it brakes. Also in real life there's google but not on the exams. Pick up a book on amazon for practice quizzes and use YouTube. Also see if there's a 2 year that offers anything.
>>
for anyone interested in security + shit is hard but you can do it. I went in without knowing anything and the air force paid for my 2 week boot camp class and it took me two times and I psssed
>>
>>135906185
Yeah I hope to get a top secret clearance some day. I did acid 3 times my fist year of college though so Idk if that will fly.
>>
>>135906525
dude I've done every drug under the sun and I got one you're fine
>>
>>135906628
How did you get yours? My professor makes it seem like every gov job I'll apply for I'm going to get boned over if I've done more then smoked a joint.
>>
>>135906815
well im in the air force but still don't ever admit you did drugs but be honest about everything. they really only want to know if you can be honest.
by the time you meet with an investigator they likely know everything thing about you..its kinda scary lol
>>
Here's a little tip to any Britbongs thinking of going into law: it's full and job prospects are utter shit.
>>
>>135907131
Don't ever admit to doing drugs but be honest? Yeah that's why I wish I was in the military. Seems like they kinda just don't care what you did in the pass because your serving your country.
>>
>>135900211

If you have clean credit, no criminal record, reasonably physically fit, and are a bit clever the military is a good option if you can get into in-demand military occupational specialty (MOS) that requires a security clearance. You may google MOS to see what jobs are available. You also need to check out the military's tests, such as the ASVAB. You need to score well to get a good MOS, so take practice tests and beef up on your shortcomings. You do not want to be a dining facility worker or in field services setting up portable showers.

With a clearance this opens up a lot of civilian jobs with much less competition.

You have to exit the military with a degree. You can't leave and then start school because your clearance will expire. Many large US bases and even ships have college courses, and you can earn college credit with CLEP and other ways. Even small bases have some educational opportunities, but the number of course offered are fewer. If you're self-disciplined distance education is a good option.

In the military stay out of trouble. Shoplifting will cost you your clearance. Hanging out with knuckleheads may get you into trouble, which could cost you your clearance.

An alternative is complete college under ROTC and thne commission as an officer. You do not want to be a 2nd lieutenant. Be a warrant officer. The regular officers don't hassle them and you don't have the grief of managing soldiers; the NCOs get that hassle. Warrants are treated like gods by most. Again, you want to be in an in-demand branch.
>>
>>135906397
Thanks, will try.

-

Now I don't suppose anyone knows anything about financial responsibility.

I need to buy a house or rent or something. My house is shit, it's a depressant to be honest. I don't know how banks and house mortgages work
>>
Please answer /pol/ brothers.

White male here, plan on making white babies but need a good job first (20/M).

Do a 4 year nursing degree (BSN) at a University here in leafland (come out making $72,000 year/huge shortage of nurses/could be a practitioner or anesthetist with a masters).

Or get on as an electrician tomorrow (start at $19 /hr as a level 1). Get on fast because family business is engineering/electrical. Father has a couple companies and many connections (electrical engineer).

>Thanks
>>
>>135907897
Rent. No reason to own a house yet. Honestly if your looking for a fresh start just move
>>
>>135908209
Personally I'd do electrician. but I'd hate to be a nurse.
>>
>>135908302
The plot I'm on is mine, bout a full acre.

I'd been looking to put a new trailer here just for the time. But I do need to just get out, not out of the state or anything.

Also I'm unsure of rent. Maybe it's just the /pol/ Renting Jew memes but I don't trust paying into something I'll never own.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>135904355
K. Keep me posted.
>>
>>135906525

I did a lot of drugs (cannabis, cocaine, LSD, mushrooms, X, heroin, etc) and even dealt drugs (small scale). I did not lie during my interview. I did not volunteer info to incriminate myself. The military doesn't really care about youthful indiscretions. It wants to know you are trustworthy now.

Most people fuck up because of financial problems, which is why a clean credit history is important. If you still have a drug problem that could lead you into financial difficulties that's a concern, but something done years ago isn't too much of a worry.
>>
File: 1500589188196.png (2MB, 960x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1500589188196.png
2MB, 960x1024px
>father vanished when I was young
>went to a shitty school well below my level
>always underperformed, never had to try to pass classes
>enter higher education, due to lack of discipline, end up having to quit.
>no higher degree, little work experience
>no idea what to do with my life or what kind of job to persue
>like to draw, history, culture and politics to some degree
>severe anxiety with a sprinkle of depression

What do you think I should do /pol/? I've been working a part time blue collar job and it might just be that im just not used to it or the anxiety but I feel pretty exhausted from it. Pay isnt great either. Im considering trying to become a noble smith, working with precious metals.
I just want a modest life, I dont have religion or much family to find support in.
>>
File: 1442461395094.jpg (79KB, 600x550px) Image search: [Google]
1442461395094.jpg
79KB, 600x550px
IF you are young, dont have a career plane yet, and you are one of those fucker that say "I WOULD GIVE MY LIFE FOR THE WHITE RACE" YOU HAVE ONLY ONE OPTION.

GO TO THE MIDIA
GO TO THE MIDIA

I said it twice because it is important, LOOK AT WHAT (((THEM))) DID TO US.
they first got in the midia, then they got a hold of the mind, then they got a hold of the government.
If you want to change the world and wont even give up getting a career to get you money fast you are doing it wrong, because that is how shit got the way it is now in the first place

Alternatively become a teacher.
>>
>>135908582
Meh. My landlord is kinda a Jew but if my tolite brakes or fernis goes out I don't need to pay a single penny or lift a finger. Plus my landlord is just doing a job. Providing me with a house till I know where I want to settle down. He's got a wife and 2 kids he needs to support so I don't mind giving him my money.
>>
>>135908758
So what did you say? Do they ask you have you done drugs before? I quite using all drugs except a beer here and there.
>>
>>135908209
>Do a 4 year nursing degree (BSN) at a University here in leafland (come out making $72,000 year/huge shortage of nurses/could be a practitioner or anesthetist with a masters).
>Or get on as an electrician tomorrow (start at $19 /hr as a level 1). Get on fast because family business is engineering/electrical. Father has a couple companies and many connections (electrical engineer).

How much debt to you need to take on to complete the nursing degree? And are you good at science?

Personally the family business look tempting provided you father manages it well and he trains you to take it over.

You're not going to become wealthy being a nurse, but you'll enjoy an solid middle-class life. You could become rich being a company owner. Even of you do fuck up the business you still have the electrician's skills.
>>
>>135908758
Also I have good credit
>>
>>135908209
We went through the whole "huge shortage of nurses" thing here in the states a few years ago, now every third person you meet is in nursing school. The result, now we have a new "huge shortage of nursing jobs", at least in places where anyone actually wants to live. Around here, the person serving you your lunch probably has a nursing certificate or degree.
>>
>>135909389
STEM
>>
>Did shit in school.
>Joined Army
>Did some cool shit
>Leave Army get job for the MOD
>Paid lots of money and get lots of time off
>Still pretty much retarded
>>
>>135909389
Or have you thought of FireFighting. My dad works 2 days on 4 days off. Makes enough for the family.
>>
>>135903372
Ive been a car salesman my whole life, I recently decided to go back to school to get my degree in criminal justice, and fully intend to get into law enforcement, joining my "family business"
>>
>>135909746
Yes, I told the truth. Interviewer asked if I had used drugs and I said I experimented with them in my teens. He didn't ask about dealing, so I said nothing about that. He asked why I stopped and I said that I didn't like them, which is kinda true because cannabis made me tired and depressed, and that I needed to get serious about my future.

I should add that my drivers licence had been revoked years earlier for reckless driving and it didn't affect anything. It wasn't even asked about.
>>
>>135909389
I am in your boat Colgate. My only advise is be self critical and hold onto your passion. The "You can do anything" isn't a meme. I realized I'm the only thing stopping myself.

Consider the options about what your passionate about and pursue it even at risk
>>
>>135909580
I wish I had the capital to invest in property and then turn around and rent it out. Gotta spend money to make it.

But thats just it, how to save for a house when being jewed?
>>
>>135909774
3.9 GPA as of first year, but took this year off. Also I know I'm lucky but my father will pay all of my college & I'm great at science, math not so much but enough for nursing.
>>
>>135910480
Sounds good. Hopefully I'll be able to be cleared in a few years!
>>
>>135910231
ive considered it though Im certain I do not currently have the physique to do it. It's something worth considering for the future though.

>>135910492
art - not good enough to compete with the market
history - only really possible to be a teacher with that
politics - might aswell kill myself now
I guess a major problem I have now is that the skills and interests I have arent very marketable. I guess I'll think on it though.

your advise has been much appreciated.
>>
>>135910682
A savings account lol. My rent is 725 I split it with one roommate. I can save up the rest of my money to some day buy a house. Though that's on the bottom of my list right now.
>>
Not really sure what sort of job I'd like to do. I like (and am good at) architecture, psychology, and possibly medicine. Though these are all meme tier degrees so what do?
>>
>>135910682
The land you own can you hunt on it? Rent out a hunting shack
>>
>>135910016
That's good to know, it's a hard decision.

>>135909774
Also it's worth mentioning that my father's primary business is an engineering one so I likely wouldn't be able to take over it and his second one he only owns 50% of now, so maybe I could take that over one day but if I wanted to have my own business I'd likely have to start my own and there is a chance I wouldn't be working for him, just one of his good colleagues.
>>
>>135911211
Some day I hope to own my own business
>>
>>135910702

That's great. It's the debt burden that gets people into troubl and causes stress in relationships.

Seems to me either job has a solid future, though one has the potential for wealth.

I don't know how apprenticeship progression goes and pay raises, but presumably you'll work 40 hrs per week plus some overtime, so calculate that sum you'll. That's what you give up by going to college. I think a nursing degree is more than 4 years, but uncertain.

Ideally ask your dad to invest that college money on your behalf and in 6 years or so you could have a tidy sum for buying a home, getting married, etc. Sign a prenup.
>>
>>135903442

Tell me about sound engineering plz
>>
>>135910797
I have a friend who got a history degree. He was depressed because it was a meme degree he thought, so he decided he'd do something drastic.

Fucked off out of America (No history here buddy.) and over to France. He went on to be a Bronze age historian on ancient religions and works for a Heritage. Anecdotal sure but just saying.

>>135911067
True, I guess it's an option as long as the Landlord isn't gonna fuck me

>>135911190
Nope.
>>
File: Smug Devil Dog.png (410KB, 600x736px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Devil Dog.png
410KB, 600x736px
>>135900211
Semperfinigger here

>put up with 4 years of bullshit for bullshit reason
>go to 6 countries, got to punish some hajis and learned a trick or two
>get out, have hiring preference, work/combat experience, first in line for fed jobs like ICE or Border Patrol
>4 years of college or trade school paid for and a 1500$ monthly housing allowance with a 500$ book stipend
>going to trade school to be a mechanic and learn how to do body work
>will probably start working on the job by next year
>on top of that, have the VA home loan and the USAA car loan
>mfw could have a trade, a house, a new car and even a family before I'm 30 and not be crippled by debt

Call us what you want but this is one hell of a sweet deal even moreso now that we're peacetime
>>
>>135903442
Do you make good money?
>>
>>135900211
I am going in to my sophomore year into college but need some advice. I got pretty decent grades (3.0 average) at a pretty good university, but I am unhappy at school. Should I drop out and do an apprenticeship instead? I took carpentry in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was decent at it to, not amazing but not horrible. If I do decide to drop out of school and do an apprenticeship instead which should I do, metal working, carpentry, electrician, plumbing or something else?
>>
>>135913001
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>135913001
What's your major?
>>
>>135908209
My cousin is a nurse, he hates it because most of his time is spent working graveyard shift, he's also seen some pretty fucked up shit.

Would you be able to give me some advice on how to get a job as electrician without having any experience in it? Every place I apply to doesn't even answer me.
>>
>>135913001

How much debt do you have? You understand that when you leave school you have to start repaying your loans. You need to check that. Can you afford to be an apprentice and repay loans concurrently? Do the sums.
>>
Commercial archaeologist. A lot of people in this trade are so stupid and unimaginative I'm appalled.

Love the trade though, so I'll try and raise above them, though Jordan says you do not want to be the smartest person in the room, whatever that really means.
>>
>>135913335
>>135913120
I am fortunate enough to not owe anything because my father was able to put enough money away for it. I would be majoring in education and history.
>>
Im a plumber in the UK, been doing it for about 5 years im fully qualified now and trying to move to AUS
>>
>>135913582
I'm sorry to read about the abuse and the other problems.

I'm pretty sure the mental issues will prevent you from enlisting. Even taking medication for ADD will screw a person. You can research this or call a recruiter. You can't hide it because the military will be able to access medical records.
>>
>>135910492
>>135909389

I feel you guys. I've always loved science, history, and animals. Wanted to go into science but im hopeless when it comes to math.

Didn't know what to do for a long time, always enjoyed art. Applied to an illustration program and amazingly got in. Now I'm working towards becoming a wildlife illustrator.

It's not easy, it's a lot of work but I think if your passionate about something you have to at least TRY and make something of it. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.
>>
>>135913724
What are you not enjoying at school? The atmosphere, the people, or just the major itself?
>>
>>135914073
>Wanted to go into science but im hopeless when it comes to math

Hey anon. I hate math. I fucking hate it. I used to cry at the dinner table trying to do my math homework and not understanding what my dad was trying to say. Seriously math was traumatic as fuck for me growing up.

I changed my major 5 times to avoid it. But then I took organic chemistry and loved it, I was so good at it and decided to suck it up. Chemistry does not use as much math as you think (depends on the area of specialization really). It's primarily arithmetic. I started with prealgebra and slowly worked my way past differential equations. Calculus is honestly fun and changed my attitude.
>>
File: IMG_0407.jpg (19KB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0407.jpg
19KB, 250x209px
>be 22 with just HS education
>work in steel factory with shitskins
>want to die
>only passion is wrenching
>have no idea what to do with my life
send help
>>
>>135914116
I like my classes. I like reading and writing about history and langauges. But I really do not like the atmosphere of the University I am at. It is a typical leftest den of degeneracy, and I do not enjoy being there. I have made some friends who are good people, and I have a job on campus already, but I just do not enjoy actually being on campus.
>>
File: 1501617674671.png (465KB, 680x762px) Image search: [Google]
1501617674671.png
465KB, 680x762px
>>135900211
Be me
>Currently 25, single and not into drugs/heavy partying/etc but I'm a social person.
>Pretty much makes good decisions and isn't a fuck up (unlike others in family).
>Get degree in Petroleum Engineering & Minor in Math
>O&G Industry goes to shit
>Go back and gets MBA
>Willing to work any job in any industry (prefer Technology/computers tho cuz it's my hobby).
>Still can't find work despite numerous people helping me by being referrals/contacting others and sending out around upwards of 750+ applications.

What do I do /pol/?
>>
>>135914586
>steel factory
get yourself hurt then sue the company for free NEETBUX
>>
Paramedic/Firefighter here
Standing by to answer any questions you might have
>>
>>135913904
Janusz is that you
>>135914586
>passion is wrenching
Beyond help you are
>>
>>135914658
Well you won't be there the rest of your life.

If you really enjoy the work and education in terms of the knowledge, I would stay and just ignore the campus culture. Just lift and drink and enjoy your self enrichment. Ignore the noise of the faggot. What university?
>>
File: wakeme.gif (1014KB, 281x203px) Image search: [Google]
wakeme.gif
1014KB, 281x203px
>>135900211
Can anyone tell me what MOS I should go for in the military that gives me experience towards a solid career post military? Pls no meme
>>
>>135913904
Australia has a points-based immigration system. Your age, education, skills, etc give you points. For example your work skills give you 15 points; you need 60 to quality. You can figure out how many points you have and whether that's enough.
>>
>>135914934
I go to a small Liberal arts school in VA, I am not gonna get more specific than that though. It wasn't my first choice for schools but my parents made me go there.
>>
Any finance majors here? Thinking of going postgrad quantitative finance and getting a CFA, is it a solid plan?
>>
>>135915454
Is it like Berkeley tier faggotry?
>>
>>135913209
It's because my Dad has a couple businesses, and knows people who rely on his business for their's to thrive. So instead of having to go on a wait-list, I can just start right away because of the connections. He has the ability to sign me up himself and so many people owe him favours that I have the option to get on with him or others.

To be honest man, unfortunately it's all connections and networking if you don't wanna go on a wait-list. I'm just gratefully lucky.
>>
>>135915454
Ouch.

Arts degrees of any sorts will get you a first class ticket straight to debt-land. A 1 year online technical certification is probably 100x likelier to land you a job, with better pay.
>>
>>135905245
Have you considered working at a museum?

I literally have no experience or knowledge about this, but honestly, just go to a museum and ask someone there if you can work for them. The worst they can say is no.
>>
>>135915585
It is not as bad as Berkeley in some ways buy it is almost as bad. For example I do not recall anyone trying to violently shut down conservatives from speaking on campus but I do not think my school really has conservatives speak. a day or to after the election a bunch of liberals were having an anti trump march on campus.They were all yelling things like "fuck trump", "fuck white people", "fuck republicans" and shit like that. They started pointing to people who were not a part of the march yelling "it's your fault he was elected" so I said "hell yeah its my fault" then two numale types came up to me and started pushing me I punched them both and they backed off. So it is not Berkeley tier but it is pretty close.
>>
>>135914658
>it is a typical leftest den of degeneracy, and I do not enjoy being there. I have made some friends who are good people, and I have a job on campus already, but I just do not enjoy actually being on campus.

Two options. High avoidance or high trolling.

High avoidance is join an intramural sports club such as tennis, squash, kendo, whatever. Ignore the left. Don't read the student newspaper. Ignore placards and protests. Get your degree and move on in life.

High trolling is join the young conservatives club or form one. Run for student gov't by lampooning the system. Almost no one votes, and most students detest the radicals who usually win. Trolling the left is a way to get interest and votes.

Never let the left dissuade you from your goals. That's their victory and decency's loss.
>>
>>135916580
That is pretty shit.

Maybe you can transfer to another university of it really bothers you? Personally I would stay just because your very existence upsets them and you can inflict butthurt while getting your degrees then go off and teach and redpill and undo all their smarmy liberalling.
>>
>>135912316
> $1500/mo + $500 stipend
What the fuck. I only get $1100 for 8 months of the year and $1000 yearly stipend. I do get an $800 refund at the end of each semester. You probably live somewhere more expensive than Wisconsin, though.
>>
>>135916721
>>135916857
I am considering staying, but I could be making money while learning actually useful skills. If there was some sort of governmental collapse or something like that would it not be more useful to know things like carpentry or metal working? Plus if I did do an apprenticeship I would be making just as much or more then I would if I became a teacher.
>>
>>135900211
Buy a used ice cream truck,
I bought one when i was 19 for 6500€
Been doing it for 7 years,
I only work 4 months a year and make enough
Money to last the rest of the year,
During winter i live in Thailand on the money i made during summer in Belgium
Real easy job ,
No boss ,
Everybody is always happy to see you if you got ice cream
Why the fuck whould somebody go to college and work as a slave for some kike boss,
I don't even have a high school diploma
>>
>>135914991
Most work in signals offers good work prospects. 25B and 25S are very good. Understand if you have a clearance, and you'll need one to work in signals, companies will hire you even if your tech skills aren't up to scratch. They can train you on that, but that can't give you a clearance.

Logistics is very good. Merging logistics and IT is logistics automation. That's 92A.
>>
>>135917087
Fresno, CA area bud, its even higher in San Fagsisco and LA, like 2300$ a month or something stupid like that. Luckily my dad let me move back in so I should be able to put away a 1k a month and save up.

Only problem is I have to deal with a lot of illegals and, now at least, a fuckload of hajis CA is importing under everyone's noses
>>
>>135917378
Does your University have wood or metal working programs? You could take some classes and get into it then maybe learn off hand in spare time freelance jobs later for "art" or fun and sell it?
>>
>>135914883
how did you end up there? what made you realize this is what you wanted to do? were you /fit/ before you started or did they train you? Were there any prerequisites?
>>
>>135917780
>>135917378
I ask because when I was getting my undergrad, there was a guy that took up black smithing in his spare time due to a club on campus. Not a course but it was still a thing. He gave me a knife he mede from rail spike. Elegant as fuck.
>>
>>135917780
That is a good idea. I will look into it thanks!
>>
>>135917388

The risk of jobs with low barriers to entry is many others can do so. You have a shitload of immigrants arriving, and they don't have the language skills, so they'll gravitate to jobs where basic linguistic skills suffice. That's menial work first to save cash to start a business.
>>
File: bender.jpg (64KB, 798x1002px) Image search: [Google]
bender.jpg
64KB, 798x1002px
>>135914586
>wrenching

sure its nice, but have you tried bending?
>>
>>135904541
Can you give me some info/advice on that? Just started working on an associates in cyber security. I'm 30 btw.
>>
What sort of bullshit side businesses are comfy for retirement? Not greedy, just want dentist and life insurance payments, plus keeping busy. This is at least 10 yrs off

I was thinking Amazon selling, just start small shit now and go from tgere. Bad idea? Dunno.
>>
>>135918857
If you live in a popular city and have for a while, tour guide would be fun IMO if you have the energy.
>>
>>135919015
Interesting. Could do volunteer only though.
>>
>>135900211
>>>135914883
>how did you end up there?

I liked medicine but I hated nursing and didnt have the money for medschool. Went to EMT school at 18, fell in love with the field. Went to Paramedic school, ended up joining the fire brigade shortly after hearing they needed medics.

>what made you realize this is what you wanted to do?

I always liked helping people and protecting people. I had a natural skill in biology and medicine so I decided this was for me. I could never work a simple office job, I need to be moving all the time.

>were you /fit/ before you started or did they train you? Were there any prerequisites?

I took a Fire I and fire II class, along with Paramedic school, EMT class, and other certifications like Advanced Pediatric Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Tac Med, and others.
Total actual school time was 9 weeks EMT-B, 8 months EMT-B work, 18 months of Paramedic School which lined up with Fire I and fire II was another 4mo.
Yearly I do about 6-7 weeks of additional training for various certifications and continuing education.
So overall outlook is about ~3-4yrs from zero to EMT to Paramedic to Firefighter. I was in RN school while working as an EMT and I disliked it, but it was helpful for Paramedic school.
I had to get /fit/. Went from 5'11/180cm and 230lb/105kg of fatty to 195lb/88kg built in about 18mo of lifting and cardio, I still work out and eat well.
>>
>>135918248
Belgian people don't want to buy ice cream from disgusting imigrant niggers ,
So i'm good ,
All ice cream trucks are owned by whites over here
Wich parent would allow his kids to buy ice cream from some creepy nigger?
>>
>>135917869
See
>>135919251
Sorry, my App recently changed UI and is now awful.
>>
>>135900211
God that guy in the middle is just laying down some fucking moves, man.
>>
>>135919642

That's a relief. Presumably that'll hold true for the next 20-30 years.
>>
>>135904018
Tell me what you wanna be. Let's figure out steps to help you get there
>>
21 years old and living in the Greater Toronto Area. Thinking of grinding some dayschool courses to get the prerequisites, and bump up my overall average so that I can get into University of Waterloo for a Computer Science or Software Engineering degree. Coupled with this I want to take a co-op there.

Good plan?
>>
I've been lately thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion because I literally have no idea what to do with my shitty life. What do you goys think?
>>
>>135905245
If you want to make a lot of money, avoid history. However, you could get your phd and become a professor if it is what you love.
>>
Studying a B International Relations at ANU right now (top aus uni for whatever that's worth) with goal of getting into gubmint, am I better off transferring into B International Security Studies or similar for employment prospects and relevance? IR seems pretty dead-end
>>
>>135917987
If you do not like Uni because of the leftism/degeneracy, it may be because of your major. Education is a field dominated by women (nothing wrong with that, but women are usually more liberal), and history (liberal arts, explains itself.) Business is where more conservative people tend to congregate, and STEM is pretty apolitical.
>>
>>135924568
Not an Aussie, but what are the opportunities in your country? In the US, you can get an IR degree and work for the government with mid-late career salary around 100-150k a year.
>>
>>135924874
Government/intelligence agencies (ASIO) allegedly accept IR graduates but they also accept people with other degrees.
I'm trying to maximise my chances to get into a counter-terrorism sort of role so the field suits me, but from what I've seen it mainly goes to analyst jobs.
Not sure about average salaries but people talk a lot of shit about IR in general for not going anywhere
>>
File: 1500172317235.jpg (38KB, 635x473px) Image search: [Google]
1500172317235.jpg
38KB, 635x473px
Could use some wizardly advice, planning on starting at uni / polytechnics next year but i'm torn between business/economics or science/engineering fields. Need to figure out which to aim for so i can start preparations for the entrance exams as soon as possible. Leaning on business atm.
>>
>>135925761
https://army.defencejobs.gov.au/jobs/intelligence-corps-officer
In the US, a path to getting a good counter-terrorism job is by being trained as a intelligence officer. May be different Down Under though.
>>
>>135925939
What do you want to do in your career. Those two are completely different.
>>
>>135904738
>>135905053
Tried this then decided I didn't want spend the rest of my life stuck in an office. Also, Pajeet keeps taking all the entry level IT jobs around here so I couldn't find jack shit even with A+ Network+ Security+ certs and a shitty faggot associates degree. Make sure you actually want to do this and have an interest beyond "lol I like computars and money!" before jumping into it.

Looking for a job I can do outdoors. I fly whenever I have some money, but I'm not really passionate (or good) don't even have my private pilot license yet at 70+ hours. Thinking about plumbing as a plan C. I'm not college material I'm done with that shit it was a huge mistake going in and I should have been pushed into a trade to begin with.
>>
Is it worth it to study a foreign language to do translation as a side job?

Russian, specifically.
>>
For you pussies that hate math, you don't have to like it, you just have to pass the classes. At a jc I started from prealgebra all the way to statistics and aced most if the classes. Of course I'm a former active duty Leatherneck. Adapt and overcome you fat neckbeards!
>>
>>135926882
Maybe military or law enforcement. Only two things I can think of that would want that. You might be beat out by native speakers though.
>>
>>135919642
>lol economics

Your country is being destroyed by those immigrants. They'll take your standard of living with it. When wages start falling and unemployment starts rising, you'll be undercut by those immigrants and your neighbors will pay it.

Listen to the man and start planning for your next move.
>>
>>135925939
What science are you interested in (is it a strong interest?)?
>>
>>135919642
>Belgian people don't want to buy ice cream from disgusting immigrant niggers
Maybe, but when I visited Belgium it seems like your women want to fuck them.
>>
>>135926370
>what do you want to do
What do i want to do...I suppose i'm trying to maneuver myself into the most optimal place in society where i can do the most good at. There are countless options, not decided between government or private sector either. I'm very interested in intelligence field but the opportunities of that in this country are severely limited. A government job of any type in this country is going to be limited and relatively poorly paid for. For business and engineering both provide lucrative opportunities internationally and a chance at a modest life in this country. While the hard sciences are interesting it would be sub-optimal economically and i guess i'll drop that from further consideration from now on out. So it comes down to engineering or business. From these two business would be the greater gamble for greater success. While engineering would be more likely to yield financial success with less risk.
>>
Almost done with my 3rd year for mechanical engineering. I'm 30 years old. No debt no kids, why do I feel like I'm wasting my time. Any engineers here?
>>
Going to uni? Make sure your program has industry based learning / placements and ask about scholarship courses. I walked into mine without as much as VCE, citing life experience.
I.T. and business is still heavily resistant to SJW psychopathy but all it takes is one girl saying they were offended to get you written up. 2 and you'll probably get booted. Don't put anything that could be used against you in writing.

If you're not going to uni, reception/ admin roles are comphy. I'd sooner kill myself than do hospitality. Feel pretty close to that on retail.

Grab some extra curriculars if you're doing uni, and keep an eye on the uni newsletter for anything they're funding, score free trips overseas.
>>
>>135929099
Because you are that old still in school. It's a weird feeling but once you start working or interning it will change. If you were me it would be a feeling of lacking purpose while just studying.
>>
>>135929537
You described it perfect. I have no sense of purpose. I hope you are right I feel so out of place right now.
>>
>>135900211

Going to college for machining, this is my 2nd semester and it is as full as the first one, all engineering classes. This semester which starts in a few weeks Ive got 14 Units to complete and they are continuations from Blueprint Reading and Machine Practice and Theory.

My only advice to you guys, stay away from the ivory towers in school. I understand you guys are forced to do that shit with GE, but try to do that later or just do not do them at all. You really do not need a bachelor right away, learn your trade. The best thing about these classes is that they are bullshit proof, you can't lie your way through it because it requires you to physically be there and train.

I also have finished my 220-901 Comptia A+ test, which I didn't really need but decided to do it anyways last week. Basically anything that looks good on your resume you should do. You also won't spend a lot of money either. This entire 4 semester package I have here, the classes with the books total come out to less than $4,000 which the state of California pays for.
>>
>>135928467
If you do no have social skills, or are unwilling to learn them, avoid business. Pay for STEM and business will be around the same with business pulling ahead around mid career if you are good at it
>>
Going into my sophomore year studying Computer Science at an alright University in Texas(TTU). Have a decent GPA(3.0). Computer Science is pretty interesting just not sure how to build my portfolio and resume so I can have a good chance landing a job later on. Comp Sci is a very versatile degree and still not sure what I want to do with it. Anybody have any advice?
>>
You neckbeards feel purposeless because you're still jacking off to porn. Quit it, it's bad for the brain and fries your dopamine which you need to motivate you to be ambitious about jobs.
>>
>>135930178
believe me I'm fucking working on it. Have probably halved my porn consumption since January.

Once you get a day or two clean you can really notice the difference it does to your body when you do consume it. I wouldn't call it purposelessness, but definitely a major lack of drive and willpower.
>>
Anyone have any advice on how to get into a trade that you have no experience in?

I could always take an introductory course but they all have waiting lists and I've been told they're a waste of time.
>>
I'm torn between becoming a Surgeon and becoming a contractor like my dad. He has connections and can help me continue his electrical business. I would be making $250k+ (he usually makes around $350k a year). But then again I could become a Surgeon and have good qualities with me.
>>
>>135930617
You have to be at least 18 to post here.
>>
>>135930617
Shit I wish I had that kind of worry.
>>
>>135929989
I would like to think i have the social skills but not having any real world business experience i cannot say. The cost of education is a non issue, socialist country with free education and all. Yes the reason i began to initially consider business career is exactly that, the end max income is likely greater than that from field like engineering. Under ideal circumstances i would like to learn both but one will have to do in the end.
>>
>>135930617
I'd go into the contractor thing. $250k is nothing to scoff at.
>>
>>135930418
Not sure about Canada, but my state has a website where you can search and apply for apprenticeships.
>>
>>135930864
What? I went to trade school in place of high school.
>>135930899
Yeah, sorry for making it seem like a big shot...trust me I'm not.
>>135931091
Sounds good.
>>
>>135930418
Just take the courses at the community college. Good programs do co-op so you'll pretty much get a job the second you graduate. Highly recommend masonry at the moment because it is really in high demand.

OR if you are feeling risky you can just take the red seal exam and if you pass the test you're in, i know a lot of guys got into red seal protective coatings that way
>>
>>135930987

For what i'm trying to become right now, a Machinist, it is one of those trades or professions where you get paid shit for the amount of knowledge you need to know but it is perfect for people who are really not that social, like myself. You do setups and run parts, you can also program later on with numerical control and get paid more or you can start your own outside processing company. In the end you need to take the classes for which you will enjoy the most, do not do it for the money by itself. Engineering is a very very proud field, it is rewarding and worth taking less because at the end of the day you will enjoy making shit for yourself, plus you can get hired virtually into anything engineering related. I have seen it time and time again where people are let go and they keep the other guy because of his engineering background, however little it is.
>>
>>135931272
Your post just came off as all the high school kids who think they need to (but won't) become a surgeon to make good money in life. If not, take the fucking contractor job. That is the amount of money a surgeon will make, without the 12 years of schooling.
>>
>>135931272
Seems like continuing your fathers business is a done deal, i would pass on any medical field there's some gnarly shit you'd have to deal with, like unless that shit is your passion i cannot recommend it.
>>
>>135930987
If you want to go business, you need to get internships to get jobs. See if you can get a good internship/job at Nokia or somewhere. Excel at your job for 4 years and apply at a top MBA program in Europe.
>>
>>135900211
Doing Electrical Installation in Trade School this year, any advice?
>>
>>135931867
Get some upper body strength because you'll be pulling wires through tiny holes for your first few years
>>
>>135932048
Yeah, I need to do more upper body strength exercises.
>>
>>135904018
Stop being a fucking faggot and try to do it. Grovy says it's not about winning - it's about participating.
>>
>>135904018
Cut the weed, cut the fags, do nightschool for something like a trade or IT. Also, save money.
>>
>>135931563
You're right, the actual skill set that engineering requires would doubtlessly be the more useful one compared to that of business and there is always the chance with engineering to further specialize, and like you said there is a private business opportunity there as well. I might also enjoy the more hands on work more. The most money i could potentially get with that training i can feasibly imagine is h1b into the states to work for lockheed, oshkosh or another major defense company. Again the pay for engineering fields otherwise is so-so.
>>
>>135931563
As an Electrician here, as long as I do a few qualifications at night school I can easily get into University for Electronic Engineering. It's quite a good alternative.
>>
Lots of engineering people in here, I thought EE/CE/all that was kind of on the decline?
>>
>>135931821
Duly noted.
>>
>>135933368
You need to be kind of autistic to go into engineering, most people on this board are autistic.
>>
Fell for the follow your dreams meme.
19, doing Journalism and Politics at uni come September, I've already made connections to politicians and some top branching media people but starting to regret my choices.

Should I just continue or go do a trade?
Sometimes I hate the middle class, far left cunts that I meet.
>>
>>135933368
See >>135933556
>>
File: 1499626256168m.jpg (123KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1499626256168m.jpg
123KB, 1024x683px
>journeyman welder
>apprentice electrician
I'm 23 and trying for 2 trades so I can go work industrial again.
Ask away
>>
>>135933656
What can you do with a politics degree? In the US, political science is seen as an unofficial pre-law degree.
>>
>>135900211
Give blowjobs to older men.
>>
>>135933823
What union?
>>
>>135933656
Do a trade, lad. Journalism is getting more and more decentralized and you'll be out off a job in about 10 years. Trades like Electrician, Plumber, Machinist etc are never going away.
>>
>>135933823
How are the qualfiications handled in Canada? Here I need two certificates from a trade school and a certificated gained from experience on site.
>>
>>135932972

My print interpretation professor worked at Lockheed martin before they moved it to Burbank. He started out as a machinist and got tired of it, so he started selling CAD software for them and made boat loads of money. There is definitely room to rise up the ladder in engineering. The thing with business, I have seen first hand only two types of people being successful at it, one is the type of person who has charm like no other, basically being a very good liar, and is always in a good mood, the type of person where all he talks about is making money and his life is a business atmosphere.

The other is where the guy works at a company and ends up starting his own business because he knows how things operate. We had a machinist who was making dog shit then started his own deburr company and made good money, he became a legend to all of us, guy would talk about not having any money to pay bills to driving up in his new car to pickup parts.
>>
>>135929692
I felt like that after my first year of gradschool. I had just finished classes and sat around for a day or two depressed as fuck wondering what I was even doing there in school. When my advisor returned I started working on my research and was mentally back at my game again just fine.
>>
>>135934044
Business is about who you know, with what you know coming in second. Those who can network and perform, are the ones who rise the ranks.
>>
>>135900211
Alright you mongoloids. Any of you that have a valid license and can pass a piss test and can move to North Dakota, my company is hiring. Really everyone's company is hiring here again. Check out the oil patch. Jobs.nd.gov
>>
>>135933159

>Electrician

Good choice, they are always in demand here and not something a lot of people take. Can't understand why there are so many people in college courses that are dead end and have no future. We have like 50 art classes I kid you not and like 7 engineering classes. Whatever, better for us.
>>
Any trades that don't involve being really high up on a ladder?
>>
>>135934295
Focus on Minot, Williston, Watford City, Dickinson, New Town.
>>
>>135934354
In my city, if you graduated high school with at least a 3.0, the school system runs a technical school for electrician that promises 80k after the program.
>>
>>135933827
I was told that with it I could go into the civil service but I've found over the past few years I prefer working with my hands much more than sitting at a deck.

>>135933917
Probably for the best, the MSM has completely gone out of touch with the common person and people are flocking to online news sources now.
>>
>>135934346
It only takes around 2 years for me to get qualified, so I can be nearly on 30k a year right off the bat, while all my mates are either in Uni or working shit jobs with a meme degree.
>>
>>135934534
You'll be on a lot more money as a tradesmen and will appreciate your craft a lot more. Try being either a Plumber or an Electrician. We're in need of them.
>>
>>135933910
I work non union but I was thinking of ibew 424
>>135934036
Depends on the trade for welding it was 3 year time in the trade plus 4000 hours and 6 months of school total. It was pretty easy, bUT lots of practical skills needed.
>>
>>135934893
We can get qualified pretty much off the bat, just need a few months experience in the field. We're a lot more anal about the certificates and there's a shit load of theory associated. There's also qualifications for every aspect of the trade.
>>
File: 1490190502182.jpg (45KB, 552x828px) Image search: [Google]
1490190502182.jpg
45KB, 552x828px
>>135900211
Potential datamining thread detected.

Never reveal occupation or any other personal details. It's not worth it
>>
>>135900211
Sure.

>Want to study a production course
>No money until my family decides to sell house
>No gear
>Lots of books, currently studying harmony

Should I wait or should I seek my own money? I understand self-learning is important but you need a title nonetheless.
>>
>>135935159
I'm sure the Spooks have already got all the data they want from our social medias.
>>
>be me
>have IQ 135< and insanely good grades from high school, literally in 99.9 percentile
>go to Manchester to study Physics
>feels like waste of time and money, drop out after one year
>also, only chinks and niggers live there, but I wasn't racist back then so I didn't mind
>back to Norway to Trondheim and study Civil Engineering
>can't stand the place, drop out after one year
>decide to take "gap year", move back to my mum. one year has passed now
>can't stand the thought of going back to uni, just sick and tired of school

Is uni just a meme at this point?
I kind of have a job offer with an old carpenter and I could easily get a trade degree
I also have insane language skills and could work as a language teacher if I go to night school or something and get a license

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>135935334
Before you do any course, you have to have some basic understanding. Just read up on the subject your interested in and get yourself a great foundation.
>>
>>135934768
Plumbing:
>water slopes at 1%
>sewage slopes at 2%
>don't lick your fingers
>>
>>135935369
I forgot to mention that I already paid back all of my student loans, but I'm almost broke now
>>
>>135935369
Maybe do a trade and check Uni at a later date, I'm leaving Uni for at least 3 years after I'm qualified as an electrician.
>>
>>135905186
While I was glad to do so at the time, separating at 4 years was and remains one of my biggest regrets. Definitely advise.
>>
>>135935469
I have a great foundation already (I hope). I have composed some things and produced and mixed a couple of songs on my own. Instrument isn't a worry either. But I want to know if getting a full time job is a good idea (If I ever get the job)
>>
>>135935792
Don't bother going into any formalized education for music, my brother did that and it was completely pointless. Just practice and self-teach.
>>
>>135935135
We also have a lot of theory in the schooling portion, 4 hours theory and 4 hours of practical welding everyday for 8 weeks at a time 3 times during the apprenticeship. Well worth it. Modules covering things like metallurgy, and minor engineering, and obviously the different welding processes. And as for certifications they are very stringent on standards and codes, as well as the weld itself, when you get your Jman it's a 200 question test and 6 different welds.including open butt 45° overhead vee Grove. Welding with SMAW and TIG
>>
>>135935369
Retard
>>
>>135936041
What is his story?
>>
>>135936080
It's 12 hours theory here and 8 hours practical. But this qualification only qualifies me for commercial installation, there's also a second qual you have to do as well. That one's more to do with commissioning and inspecting electrical installations.
>>
I have a B.S. in Environmental Systems: Earth Science, its an interdisciplinary major.

I need advice on if i should get a masters/PhD to go into:
oil
enviornmental agencies
hydrology
geology academia

any advice /pol? I'd prefer to talk to people and not be stuck looking at data and computer programs my whole life. what do.
>>
File: 1367108071.png (407KB, 918x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1367108071.png
407KB, 918x1080px
>tfw come into the thread hoping the OP image derailed it into Arab hate/military stories
>thread faithfully stayed on topic besides one post about the OP
O-ok
>>
>>135936213
Simple: He had no ambition, did as little as he could through his entire education, passed, went into University do music because he played guitar, gave up after 6 months and is doing an it course now.
>>
>>135935512
No more than 4 inches of drop in 100 feet of sewer pipe, else the liquids will outrun the solids
>>
>>135926793
This, I spent about 5 months teaching myself cybersec and ended up hating the idea of it in the end. It's fucking, I'd feel dead inside doing such a job
>>
>>135936304
What is the average rate of pay in burger dollars would you say?
>>
File: 1498782723390.gif (1001KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1498782723390.gif
1001KB, 600x450px
>>135936346
I am honestly impressed.

But it shows that /pol/ actually wants to help others.
>>
>>135936342
Academia/teaching is good if you like the social interaction part. Just be warned, it's incredibly cutthroat to get a professor position.
>>
>>135936566
Hard to say, I've seen from $35k to $50k. Straight after qualifying, you can be on $17 per hour. But it really depends on the area.
>>
>>135936213
Talents like music/arts can be proven through building a portfolio of work. You don't need to be college educated to find a job in those fields - you just need to produce good work.
>>
>>135936425
Ambition is needed, tru. This is what art (and a lot of careers, really) requires of you, and the more you push the more you gain but the more the effort.

What about the contacts though?
>>
>>135936346
I think it's because we don't have all the rabid Wehraboos or CTR shills. Not exciting enough for them.
>>
>>135936793
He was told to either go into teaching or give up on getting a job.
>>
File: whooty.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
whooty.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
>>135904018
join the military and stop being such a defeatist faggot
>>
>>135934044
I'll have to make a thorough cost/benefit analysis about my options but i really abhor the idea of lying and all the kikery going on around the globe, that might seriously hamper or prevent a business career.
>>
>>135936724
See that's the problem. I live in Alberta (oil country) where the average rate is 32$/h commercial/fab and 42$ for oil field industrial and mining. I was making 42.50$/h and OT after 8 per day and j worked 12 hour days for 24 days on and 7 days off. With this dual ticket I'm looking at 47.20$/h with pension if I can find an industrial job. But oil is in the gutter right now. Shame.
>>
>Was majoring in microbiology
>Decided to switch to med school
>Got accepted into med school

Am I Doomed /pol/?

Or

Am I doing well?
>>
>>135935628
>>135936173
thanks
>>
>>135936912
Sad.

>>135936788
Oh, thanks for the hope. Suprisingly enough you can get a lot of material without paying, which is not necessarily a good thing. Gotta get to work.

Thanks anons. You might listen to my stuff one day.
>>
>>135936935
I wanted to do that for the trade I'm going into, but apparently they outsource everything to civvy contractors and the quals aren't equivalent.
>>
>>135937260
Why do you need the approval of a board that is 95% neet, autistic, or nonwhite?
>>
>>135937171
It's pretty good where I from, I can get an apartment in a good area for like $600 a month.
>>
>>135937260
I would have honestly stayed in microbiology and done some sick work at pharmaceuticals

Med school will probably be hell from what I've heard. Good luck becoming a doctor.
>>
File: 1500956806410.jpg (20KB, 320x310px) Image search: [Google]
1500956806410.jpg
20KB, 320x310px
>>135900211
OP is a faggot
>>
>>135937260
Good for you

Go specialize in old people diseases and make a fortune off all the dying boomers
>>
>>135937458
Okay that makes me feel better since avg here is 1000/m in a questionable at best area.
>>
>>135937482

Hmm, would rather take the risk than being stuck in a lab. Thanks anyway anon
>>
>>135937355
how do you think you become a contractor?
>>
>>135919251
No one has the money for med school, if you have no money they pay, you didn't have the grades
>>
>>135937736
Going through tradeschool and getting an apprenticeship.
>>
File: 1498840958533.jpg (74KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498840958533.jpg
74KB, 850x400px
I work in recruitment, primarily getting SW & HW engineers jobs so reckon I've met quite a few 4chan autists.
>>
>>135937639
Aren't you taxes out of whack, as well? It's 20% here till $60k.
>>
>>135921513
Look into merchant marines
>>
>>135937549
That's Dr. Faggot.
>>
>>135935628
Do Electronic Engineering of some sort.

I just found two Norwegian guys jobs paying 100k NORK per month to work mostly from home.
>>
File: IMG_1113.jpg (115KB, 634x817px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1113.jpg
115KB, 634x817px
>>135937260
Sounds like you're doing gr8 m8. Good luck!
>>
>>135938064
Not an MD, not a fucking doctor, not even a fucking dentist
>>
>>135938142
I'm doing that after I've worked a bit as a spark, I can't be bothered doing a 2 year btec for engineering.
>>
I want to get into welding so I cam quit my job as a janitor. The problem is that there's no places that'll tale apprenticeships on San Antonio that I know of. Anyone got any advice?
>>
>>135937826
wrong
>>
>>135937931
Up to 50k it's 15% and the next 50k I's 20% the last is 33% on income over 202k
>>
>>135900211
Mortician/funeral director here, ama

It's a calling for sure but would not ultimately advise for life, am suffering intense burn out after 10 years and am now struggling to think of what direction I can take my life beside funeral management and forensic sciences since they're all I know

Would recommend every single person of the age to do so to NOT go to a university and go to a trade school instead. Take courses on the side after finding work. Degrees are worthless. Experience is everything.
>>
>>135938285
Man, taxes here are worse.
>>
>>135938355
What about doing a part-time degree after going to Trade School?
>>
>>135938248
Sweep floors at a shop do all the grinding and bitch work for a while until you get offered a position
>>
>>135938445
Absolutely, just make sure to be working in a valuable field while getting your degree. It's easy as shit to find and schedule courses now.
>>
>>135938567
You can do course online now, as well. So there's no excuse for not getting more quals.
>>
>>135935339
>he unironically uses social media
Bro.....
>>
>Took network security degree, passed with pretty meh grade
>worked systems admin for 2 years, fucking hated it but saved £20k
>10k in index funds, 10k in crypto
>moving in with GF soon. No idea what to do jobwise, I hate IT.

Hopefully crypto will boom :/
>>
>>135938897
I heard bitbean is set to moon! Seriously though, always do the opposite of what /biz/ says.
>>
>>135939041
>>135938897
BUY HIGH, SELL LOW
>>
File: TRUMP_BUMP_03.jpg (213KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
TRUMP_BUMP_03.jpg
213KB, 800x571px
>>135900211
>Professional enterprise applications developer,
>Only bother with secondary school if it helps you advance in something meaningful you already want to do
>Don't count on secondary school to be enough to prepare you for a career
>>
Any downsides to trying to become a high school math teacher? Seems like a dream job.
>>
>>135939956
Yeah, you'd be forced to accept or the diversity shit and have to tolerate bratty kids.
>>
>>135940144
*all
>>
I have just 1 purpose in life and that is to be as rich and powerful as possible, I don't care about anything else.
You can take this quite literally, I don't care about personal health, social life, happiness,...
I was thinking about working for a few years as an engineer and quit to start my own company.
Ask for more info if you want.
>>
>>135939956
>downsides?
High schoolers.
>dream job
Hope to god you get into a private school. It's slightly less of a nightmare than public school.
>>
>>135909389
Hey bro, let's meet up and conquer this world together.
>>
File: 1493006441965.jpg (260KB, 553x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493006441965.jpg
260KB, 553x900px
>26
>Bachelors in Info Systems from state commuter school
>3-4 years doing NOC tech/sysadmin shit
>unemployed the last 4 1/2 months, most of the jobs thrown at me in my hometown (St. Louis) are shit
>no debt
>living fine right now without a job

I'm caught between staing here and finding a job, leaving St. Louis and finding a better tech job, or ditching I.T. entirely and going to law school for Intellectual Property/Patent law.

Dunno what to do with myself.
>>
>>135940269
While money and power are nice, you'll regret it if you neglect the other things you mentioned.
Solid plan though.
>>
File: Miserable, pathetic frogposter.jpg (150KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
Miserable, pathetic frogposter.jpg
150KB, 597x519px
20, in highschool, I flunked 2 years due to combination of laziness and extremely shit luck, what do I do to feasibly get a greencard in US? Do I just learn programming and hope for the best?
>>
File: IMG_0862.jpg (336KB, 1080x1620px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0862.jpg
336KB, 1080x1620px
>>135900211
canadian 18y/o homeless since last august, got kicked out before i could graduate because mother is bipolar and had a meltdown, been working factory jobs and couch surfing.

my goal is to get a GED then enlist, Canadian Forces pay for college so my goal is to become an electrician or a plumber.

is this a reasonable goal?
i want a career thats essentially universal but almost always in need because i have a gf in england i hope to marry and live with in the future.
>>
File: 768767.jpg (99KB, 800x568px) Image search: [Google]
768767.jpg
99KB, 800x568px
>>135941245
>20, in high school
>>
File: Miserable Pepe.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Miserable Pepe.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>135941380
I'm afraid I'll be too old to do fucking anything without having any sufficient education.
>>
>>135941351
Jesus, hope you get on your feet, mate. Seems like a solid plan.
>>
>>135941351
not working in america just staying with penpals atm

i wouldnt want to be an illegal and fuck up my ability to travel abroad in the future.
>>
>>135941467
You're still young. Finish your high school and get into trades.
>>
>>135941245
We graduate when we're 16.
>>
>>135905245
studied history, joined the reserves, got a job in corporate sales, looking to get an MBA soon to make bank
>>
>>135940865
Yeah, but that's how I currently feel.
Maybe it'll change, but I only got more obsessed by it over the years.
>>
>>135908209
I'd go with electrician if you can manage it.

I've worked as a trades assistant in the past and they all say electrician is the best option. They didn't have to do any of the bullshit I had to do. They're also in the top tier of pay ranges.

Also have a buddy that works pretty much 7 days a week as an electrician. Makes pretty good money.

-----------------------

Nurse is in demand, but you also clean old peoples assholes and put needles into people's dicks.

Nurses have a ceiling and its considered a womans profession. Electricians have no ceiling (start your own business) and is very manly.
>>
>>135912316
How are the benefits after leaving? What are some mistakes officer candidates make that they don't tell you before OCS?
>>
>>135942161
My Grandad was on over 100k at the end of his career.
>>
>>135903047
Kek. Fucking faggot. Tell me what town you're from so that I know not to hire an AIDs infested company to do my roof.
>you will never do your own roof
Such is life in shitty-career-decisions land
>>
>>135909389
My anxiety went away when I started working blue collar jobs after university too. It's because I was too exhausted.

You've gotta make the transition to lifting weights, that shit has completely cured my anxiety after I moved into the corporate world.

I personally found it easy to get into a trade by becoming a general labourer in multiple different trade occupations. You'll just help out and do random shit for them but won't be considered an apprentice.

If they like you and the profession is in some demand, they'll offer you to apprentice. (They told me they'd be interested after I worked 10-15 hour days for about 4 months). I didn't take it but I still find it absurd how many people talk about the difficulty of getting a trades jobs. Every guy came in and expected an apprenticeship within the first month
>>
>>135903372
What's a poacher. How do you bust them? What's the ticket?
>>
>>135903442
I want to make my own machine shop
>>
>>135941245
how about, idk staying in your shitty country and stop daydreaming about mine
>>
File: 1498668843309.jpg (26KB, 524x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498668843309.jpg
26KB, 524x400px
>>135904018
Nothing that a good sorting can't fix.
>>
Industrial Electrician/Instrument tech dual trade here. AMA. It's a sweet gig.
>>
>>135934211
Happy for yah but I haven't even obtained a bachelors yet. I did 4 years in the crayon eaters so school Is paid for so I guess I got that going for me.
>>
>>135914725
Where do you live, country and if USA, state?
>>
Dont work for a company that has a HR division.You'll thank me later.
>>
>>135943008
What sort of education/time investment do you need for that in upside down emu land? Asking for a friend.
>>
Any advice for someone who would be starting out in IT on the systems/networking side at the age of 29 - 30, thats when I'll be completing my education.

I should have an internship lined up for next summer, I'm also thinking of learning a second language so I can do bilingual support.
>>
>>135943820
THIS

>>135944373
Learn automation tech, any and all of it.

People who do stuff by hand are already getting pruned out.
>>
>>135944334
5 year apprenticeship with schooling. Dual trade apprenticships are hard to cone by but if you get the opportunity, jump on it. I learned industrial process control and automation from the instrument side of it.
>>
File: 1483527994657.png (4MB, 2101x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1483527994657.png
4MB, 2101x1412px
>>135900211
26 year old grad, political science major. Already went to law school and dropped out second year. fuck that, i have 0 faith in the legislators to make good laws and 0 faith in the judiciary to interpret them free from influence or corruption. Not sure what to do with my life except continue shitposting at a barely above minimum wage retail supervisor job.

my life is a shipwreck. help
>>
>>135943008
Do you know how difficult it is for Brits to get qualified down under? I have family there, so getting a visa isn't the issue.
>>
>>135944604
Take the trade pill bro, learn actual skills that make you useful.
>>
>>135944604
Do a trade and be proud of your craft.
>>
>>135935518
how can a norwegian ever go broke? I mean you've won the birth lottery, all you need to do is find your purpose n shiet
>>
I wish I joined the army earlier in my life, feel like I'm too old now. I'm 29. Thoughts?
>>
>>135944604
I did the same, I lost all faith in the law. Now I studied computer science and work in IT. I'm getting drained by the company but at least I earn good money and can influence society more than with a law degree
>>
>>135944962
You can join till your 35 in Britain, just do it.
>>
>>135904541
if you smoke weed, dont do it. Its a trap. THey have you fill out an sf-86, then they don't clear you, and the DEA and FBI gets access to all your investigation records and goes after the people who sold you drugs.

DONT DO IT.
>>
24 year old English grad here currently working in IT. Its not a bad field by any means but I have pretty much come to the fact that I'll plateau somewhere if I don't learn to develop software. Was considering EE or Computer Engineering but I've been told that it would be a poor decision because "Hardware is dead." Really can't go wrong with CS, and if it doesn't work out I can always fall back on IT work.

Education is just as much of a scam as any other large bureaucracy, if you want to learn something you'll have to put in the work yourself.
>>
Thinking about doing an accounting and finance degree, anything I should know before committing to this path?
>>
Hello. I'm currently studying computer science with a focus on programming and math, starting my 3rd and last year of high school after the summer.

I've been thinking about studying civil engineering at University which is 5 years in Sweden but I'm not really sure what to major in.

Either I go to a smaller school and major in Programming and Game Development (which I personally think is the most fun alternative), or I go to one of the most prestigious schools in Sweden and study Technical Mathematics.

What do /pol/ think?
>>
Doing it a little bit differently had no direction in my life, founded a startup company out of my garage. Raised enough capital to get it going. Self employment is tough, most companies fail. Although I am very proud in how far I have come to date, even though I still have a lot of work to do.

Developed a technology similar to a solar device but operates off thermal vibrations, thus not needing visible light to operate.

Fuck you Elon.
>>
>>135946750
Is it a traditional type of thermoelectric generator or solar but using IR?
>>
>>135945995
Only standard warnings.

Accounting is a guaranteed job, the wage is also good. There is higher fluctuation in finance as well as a higher wage variance, you can either score great or shit.

Both are also on a good way to being automated, so learn programming while you study so you'll be the one doing the automating instead of the one being automated.
>>
>>135946602
If i was in your situation I would look towards employment prospects of both options, if you want money go to the prestigious school for maths but money isn't everything, if you want to program games do it. Enjoy your time alive.
>>
>>135947653
Yeah I have read into how accounting is being influenced by technology, really it just changes the menial work and data collection. I am currently studying an A level in computer science so I should be fine for programming ability. Thanks for the advice.
Thread posts: 306
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.