[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a company is a person, then why can't a company go to jail?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1375126042670.jpg (68KB, 538x720px) Image search: [Google]
1375126042670.jpg
68KB, 538x720px
If a company is a person, then why can't a company go to jail?
>>
>>135205234
It's a person for the purposes of law. If your IQ is too low to grasp that concept go back to Africa to be with your people.
>>
>>135205234
That is a completely asinine question. Do you have a prison big enough to lock the whole company in? You don't, so get the fuck out.
>>
really activates the almonds
>>
File: go1_500.gif (999KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
go1_500.gif
999KB, 500x288px
I disagree
>>
>>135205522

We could put a chain around it and smear food on it 3 times a day.
>>
>>135205234
because a "person" is a fictional (intangible) entity.
>>
>>135205234
Big Companies should be considered Countries desu
>>
People commit crimes, not companies, and many people have gone to jail for breaking the law while working for a corporation.

Corporate personhood is more of a legal convenience than anything else. Makes it simpler and easier for businesses to deal with others.
>>
>>135205733
Person Law and Legal Definition

A person, for legal purposes, is generally more broadly defined to refer other than just a natural person. A person may also include a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society. For example, when a company incorporates, it has standing as a legal person to sue and be sued in courts of law. The precise definition of a person may vary by state and applicable laws.

The following is an example of one state's statute governing the definition of a person:

"When the word "person" is used to designate the party whose property may be the subject of a criminal or public offense, the term includes the United States, this state, or any territory, state or country, or any political subdivision of this state that may lawfully own any property, or a public or private corporation, or partnership or association. When the word "person" is used to designate the violator or offender of any law, it includes corporation, partnership or any association of persons."

definitions.uslegal.com
>>
>>135205418

But going to jail for a particular set of crimes is classified and regulated as law.

What "purposes of law" apply to companies, and which do not?

I'm not arguing one way or the other, but is it fair to the general public if a company has protected freedom of speech (because it's a "person"), but doesn't face disbandment or suspension from public markets (something similar to going to jail for a purely legal entity) for illegal actions?

>>135205522
I worded the question badly.
Obviously, you can't put a purely legal entity in a physical prison, but disbandment or suspension from public markets would be something equivalent to putting a person physically in jail.

It just doesn't seem that small fines are sufficient.
>>
>>135205234
Agreed

If a company has a Right to privacy -

And can protect it's board with the same
Constitutional rights as an individual

It follows that the board should be held accountable if crimes are committed

But the board gets all the protection without
The accountability

That's how corporate interests are more powerful than any individual voters'
>>
>>135205990
In the United States, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 was passed to reform business practices, including enhanced corporate responsibility, financial disclosures, and combat fraud,[1] following the highly publicized scandals of Enron, Worldcom, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, and Bernie Madoff. Company chief executive officer (CEO) and company chief financial officer (CFO) are required to personally certify financial reports to be accurate and compliant with applicable laws, with criminal penalties for willful misconduct including monetary fines up to $5,000,000 and prison sentence up to 20 years
>>
>>135205970
Let's take this scenario:
>company illegally dumps liquid waste in river
>this dumping is planned by the company's "upper-level" workers
>actual dumping is done by minimum wage disposable workers
These workers actually dumped the waste, so they committed the illegal act and should therefore go to jail, right?

But do the "upper-level" workers stand to go to prison as well?

Actually, shouldn't the company be disbanded or be forced to relinquish all public floating shares as punishment for dumping waste, since a company is a "person" and is an entity more than the sum of its parts?

>computer broken
>therefore nothing shows up on the monitor
>throw the monitor out and buy a new one, wonder why its still a blank screen
>throw out the good monitor and buy a new one instead of buying a new computer
>>
If a company could go to jail then I would get a janitor job at a hooters then get us all in prison together
>>
>>135205234
I wish I had a giant stuffed krill
>>
>>135206472
I'll read up on that law, thanks
>>
>>135206472
$5m fine for a puppet.... Sounds fair.
>>
>>135205234
Doors are too small
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.