[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The fragility of the power grid

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 60

This was an interesting story - someone knocked out power to a chunk of a town by firing shots into a single transformer located on a power pole outside of Saskatoon. It took 4 hours to fully restore power. The shots caused a fire which destroyed the transformer and knocked out power transmission. It's another example of how vulnerable modern power infrastructure is to disruption - not just from intentional action, but all kinds of events. "Hardening" the electrical grid is possible, but expensive - it needs to be a major infrastructure project.
>>
>>134955546
Where is Saskatoon?
Also, does anyone have the screen cap from the former cable layer where he explains how to destroy the power grid/fiber optics (internet)/ radio/ TV in any given City or region with 6 guys top?
>>
>>134955546
They're full of oil that works as a coolant. I assume the oil drained, then it overheated.

Regardless, all power lines and associated equipment should be underground.
>>
>>134955844
In Saskatchewan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskpower-bullet-hole-power-outage-warman-1.4221666
>>
File: IMG_1419.jpg (56KB, 659x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1419.jpg
56KB, 659x311px
>>134956000
They really should, but at least it'll make our job easier :^)
>>
>>134956083
Archive please
https://archive.is/5C3gi
>>
>>134955546
how about you fucking retards in government try fixing the roads and economy first before you worry about spending money on giant batteries

fucking faggot retards
>>
>>134956193
what?

This is why all my rentals are on solar with battery backup and have diesel generator hookups. In fact I'd say about half the neighborhood I live in have the same thing. If you're dependent on the grid this shit can happen.

The struggle is getting urban communities to upgrade their houses because they simply don't have money and rely on federal assistance
>>
>Be NYC
>Power Goes out across the city
>Wall Street crashes
>Race war begins instantly
Someone do it
>>
>>134955546
4hrs is pretty good response time for something like that.

The same can be said for anything, a few cuts of fibre can take out a data center / block of ISP coverage.
>>
>>134955546
this is sort of thing is more of a problem with small towns,larger cities have more redundancy and engineers are likely to live and work nearby cutting length of outages.

that said their are many weaknesses in the power grid, Its more scary that the cybersecurity of power stations even nuclear plants is dog shit.
>>
DEAR RUSSIANS THAT ARE CREATING THESE THREADS.

You all fucking know that its fragile as fuck.
You wouldn't even have to infiltrate with your best men. You could send women over on student visas and other shit. All they need is a large caliber weapon and whammm you have grids down.

how many fucking times are you going to make these threads.

its like water is wet - the sun is bright and warm.

fuckkk stop it. it gets old.
>>
>>134955546
It's going to be something like this that'll fuck us all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

We has a near miss back in 2012: https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/
>>
>>134957007
It's probably the American government that's trying to convince us we need to spend trillions of dollars on our power grid system. We don't need to fix other problems, but we need to replace all the power lines.

This country is fucking retarded.
>>
A few years ago I think it was either San Jose or Milpitas where a "sniper team" shot at a PGE power grid. A few guys knocked down a bunch of transformers and disappeared before the cops got there. This was in California and a highly populous city and no one was caught.
>>
>>134956000
cost more plain and simple, probably quite hard to get enough enthusiasm to get funds allocated for it above other issues
>>
>>134956000

The oil is already heated.
The oil ignites once any of it gets hot enough and the pole ignites - everything burns pretty hot at that point.

This is all common knowledge to the world tho.

Only a nation with nothing left to lose would bother target our grids.

North korea
>>
>>134957145

Why the fuck would the convince POL
Pol has jack and shit for influence. And you know that the US gov has already wargamed this scenario to hell and back.
>>
>>134955546
How about we fix the collapsing bridges first.
>>
>>134956999
First major storm of the season knocked out power for over 10k residences, and this in a major city.

I was one of the first to call in my street since I'd heard some kind of bang sound each time the reclosers tried to turn the power back on but couldn't see anything that looked fried. They did send a truck to tear around to search for something dangerous but it wasn't until like 9hrs later that they got around to getting the power back on.

Seriously if anybody with competence wanted to fuck shit up the grid is such an easy target.
>>
>>134957278
I'm sure there are special agents from foreign countries shooting out or power grid to see the response time

But they could also be trying to use terror tactics to convince the US government to spend a fuckton of money more irresponsibly, which would be a far more effective weapon than the actual downing of local power grids.
>>
>>134955546
Just goes to show when the race war starts the infrastructure will be a prime target.

>>134956000
The kikes that run the country will never spend the trillion or so dollars needed to update the infrastructure. They'd rather all that money go to Israel.
>>
>>134957280
If they can dump trillions into the military than can allocate the chump change to upgrade the grid. Are we going to have real infrastructure spending to try to power out of the Greatest Depression or just more empty Obama-style promises?
>>
>>134957469
>what is propaganda
>>
>>134955546
This reminds me of 2013 when someone used a rifle to take out the substation that effected a vital part of AT&T's network. The FBI got involved and everything.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/12/27/military-style-raid-on-california-power-station-spooks-u-s/
>>
>>134956519
already happened once a few years ago, nothing of great note happened.
>>
>>134956158
>our job

Tell me more?
>>
>>134955546
If this is such a problem, we could start militias for grid defense.
>>
>>134955844
>does anyone have the screen cap from the former cable layer where he explains how to destroy the power grid/fiber optics (internet)/ radio/ TV in any given City
You've peaked my curiosity.
>>
>>134957796
http://archive.is/ETi2i
>>
>>134957007
Maybe it's not 'muh Russians', maybe American, Canadian, English & Australian whites are trying to troll each other into destroying our countries.
Maybe whites don't want to be minorities. Maybe we want to fight you globalist cunts. Maybe whites are sick of paying for every other irresponsible fuckers kids while we can't afford to have our own.
Maybe young white men in particular see no meaningful future in a degenerate, corrupt & weak west.
>>
File: DD0cyOEUIAApWcL.jpg (57KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
DD0cyOEUIAApWcL.jpg
57KB, 720x720px
>>134955546
Haha, dont fuck with Saskatoon.
>>
File: IMG_1394.jpg (55KB, 642x651px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1394.jpg
55KB, 642x651px
>>134957857
Nice try ATF, just don't worry about it, that's all I'll say
>>
>>134955546
Good thing I have a generator and five days worth of fuel
>>
>>134957966
*piqued
>>
>>134955546
fyi, if you wanted to cause chaos and race war, just have a group of a couple hundred guys hit these things in a state and it will go down. If you could somehow have thousands of people you could take down the entire grid in the usa
>>
>>134955546
Theres never been some catastrophic loss of pife do to... No power?

Who cares if its vulnerable?
We have bigger things to worry about

Its an attack on the grid coupled with a mosre significant forceful attack that's the danger. This would prevent communication. But again, its the forceful attack thats the more dangerous. Not the power being cut. (Except at nuclear power plants and military bases)
>>
>>134957966
I guarantee you /k/ has it, it may be even better than the US civil war screen cap.
>>
>>134957745

Not really propaganda worthy.

you don't have to convince anyone that hardening your grid to attacks is a good thing. It pretty much sells its self.

Nope. Its something else.

They are trying to give future insurrgents Ideas and a basic how to and what to do to get it done. Every tyrone and jamal is going to be
out there trying to do this. It will create a net affect.
>>
>>134957796
And they still don't know who did it. (unless it was our own government doing it)
>>
>>134955546
to even attempt it would be inviting nuke hate fucking
>>
>>134957857
It's a cool little club, called Freedom Club (FC).
>>
>>134957642
Oh so it's 'muh North Korea' thats causing America to commit sepuku. I thought it was 'muh Russians'?
>>
File: IMG_1288.jpg (63KB, 653x509px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1288.jpg
63KB, 653x509px
>>134958109
>no catastrophic loss of life
Hospitals will get fucked, but the big show is in the cities, where niggers and spics will eat each other alive amidst the chaos
Expect Compton II: Not enough roof gooks boogaloo
>>
File: 1476380930528.jpg (21KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476380930528.jpg
21KB, 271x400px
>>134955546
And this is exactly why the radical left who are calling for violence will never succeed. If a sort of civil war were to break out, the militias on the right would be able to take out key power points almost instantly. These are the same people who would be more attuned to surviving without the comforts of the power grid.

A series of strategic hits on the power grid could turn an entire city into a gridlock of rioting, looting, and madness. Those who tried to escape would fail, as traffic would be at a standstill and cars would quickly be abandoned as the violence and chaos poured onto the motorways. To those trapped within the cities, political or philosophical alignment would lose all meaning and it would become a free-for-all of survival. Many of these people would be forced to come to the realization for the first time in their lives that, "cities don't produce the food." The infrastructure would collapse upon itself.
>>
File: 1497897925543.png (203KB, 1802x905px) Image search: [Google]
1497897925543.png
203KB, 1802x905px
>>134958153
>>134957966
This one?
>>
im not surprised, the power grid in rural canada is a 100% joke

>really windy
powers out
>ice on the line
power out
>heavy rain
power out
>combine drives within 200 miles
power out
>>
>be Russia/China/NK
>shoot a few American power grids
>they jump at the sight of their own shadow
>disregard failing economy, lack of job prospects, declining standard of living, shitty healthcare, shitty education
>instead spend trillions of dollars on a new power grid
>American economy continues to cripple itself
>US dollar ceases its position as sole reserver currency
>great success

American government is truly incompetent

gg Russia you win
>>
File: xuL8tat.png (148KB, 332x396px) Image search: [Google]
xuL8tat.png
148KB, 332x396px
>>134958070
>>
>>134958483
When are we going to enact sensible combine control laws?
>>
>>134956000
The town I grew up in has all power underground
>>
http://www.onesecondafter.com
>>
File: U0im0ek.png (87KB, 1400x900px) Image search: [Google]
U0im0ek.png
87KB, 1400x900px
>>134955546
Listen up niggers. The power grid (and low flying airlines but that's a whole other thing) are the most vulnerable targets in the U.S. A few muzzies or some Weatherman with some practical knowledge could do some real damage. It's only time until someone realizes the massive economic damage that they could cause by attacking even small power stations.
>>
>>134958428
>If a sort of civil war were to break out

will never happen. you're too cucked
>>
It could be anyone. Thing is we don't want it to happen. That would cause region wide outages and millions would die esp in winter.

The us civilian service industry would grind to a halt.

US military logistics would fall to 25% eff.

Restoration efforts would have to manually be carried out - 3 months of guys in work camps in the snow riding around in trucks

economy upheaval

us would be living off of mre's and canned goods.

no we def don't want that
>>
>>134958439
No, the guy who wrote it claimed he later fiber optic cables and the likes for 20 years, explained the weak points of the power grid and how there are no redundancies
>>
>>134958587
The town I went to school in runs power lines right through the trees, and when the campus was building a new building some construction worker knocked a nearby utility pole and that managed to break off both of the "redundant" power feeds to campus for most of the day.

kek
>>
>>134955546
The first thing targeted in a civil war is the power grid.
>>
>>134958483
I bet you love nb
>>
>>134958486
Why are whites so determined to hold North Dakota?
>>
>>134956831
That's actually insanely good.

Power died. Go out find the problem. Call in for parts and installation. Get it back online.

Just driving around to find the issue would be hours of work.
>>
I live in Saskatchewan and we are exposed as fuck. Police response time in rural areas is at least a fucking hour. There is a reason why farmers say "fuck the law, shoot, shovel, and shut up."

Our only saving grace is that, with a little over a million people spread out over an area larger than California, we aren't much of a target. The only reason to attack is to show that literally no where is safe, even the middle of butt fuck nowhere midwest of the midwest.

That being said if there was a long term crisis where populations are cut off, we would be much better off since everyone knows how to hunt and we grow crops for everyone else in the world.
>>
YES LETS SPEND TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON THE POWER GRID THANK YOU CONGRESS

WHO NEEDS PURCHASING POWER ANYWAYS
>>
Cable runs are extremely vulnerable.
Power, communications, you name it.
Hell water pipes can get fucked up easy too.
Noone fucks shit like that up because it's a dick move to do so but in an actual insurgent situation utilities would need to get thorough protection somehow.

>>134956519
A terrorist would have to snip a lot of cables to do that.
>>
>>134958881
I think it's more that whites are OK with living there and coloreds don't get why anybody would want to live there.
>>
File: 1478930904353.png (40KB, 750x700px) Image search: [Google]
1478930904353.png
40KB, 750x700px
>>134955546

>a whole thread of replies and no gun control shitposting

baka
>>
>>134958983
More jobs, more contracts. Would help the private sector or are you a NEET faggot who doesn't care?
>>
>>134958881
They're not determined to hold it, it's just a shit hole state so niggers and Mexicans don't want to move there as much as they do some other states. It also has less amenities as whites haven't quite finished building the society yet so that brown invaders can come take it over and pop out 3-4 kids each.
>>
>>134958678
how much effort would it take to cause any significant damage? coordinated effort of 500 or more people? to cause a few million or so dollars in loss?
>>
>>134959011
Nigga, NYC was put into a black out for 3 days back in the 80s because a downed power line in Ohio caused an overload in the same grid which fed into the city

Besides, if you target substations, you're set
>>
>>134955546
That's an OCR, not actually a transformer. It's an oil filled switch that is used to break load on primary voltage and to automatically reclose on fault 3-4 times depending on how the rocker arm is adjusted. It basically prevents something like a gay little bird getting electrocuted from putting the power out permanently and need a powerline tech sent out. They save companies a lot of money.

But anyways, there are lots of idiots that shoot powerline stuff in this country. I used to shoot it myself as a kid, didn't think it was a big deal.
>>
>>134959174
>how much effort would it take to cause any significant damage? coordinated effort of 500 or more people? to cause a few million or so dollars in loss?
If there were 5000 intelligent people nation wide willing to give their lives to destroy the country in a planned fashion it could be done.

And by destroy I mean weaken the already crumbling structure until it collapses on its own.
>>
>>134959174
Depends how OPERATOR they are and whether you want overnight crippling or to take some time to bring things to a breakdown situation.
>>
>>134959011

Level 3 communications backbones have been snipped in california alot.

There are SAC lines that are all military tho. Insurregents can try as they may but the goverment still has alternative pots lines everywhere that no one knows about cept linemen.
>>
File: powerlinesab.jpg (233KB, 1024x543px) Image search: [Google]
powerlinesab.jpg
233KB, 1024x543px
>>134958778
>>
>>134959023
ALERT! ALERT!
>Team Whitey is re-enforcing North Dakota!
>They must have something valuable there.
>>
>>134959124
>private sector jobs
>based off tax payer money
>shuffling of money
>international banks and CEOs of construction companies skimming off the top
>thus the dollar is devalued

Yeah what a wonderful investment. You fucking idiot.
>>
>>134959174
The issue isn't how much damage can be done, it is if enough damage can be done before steps are taken.

With 500 people you have no chance of operational security.

If you start attacking the power you will have about a day of action until the police and military roll en mass and your operations get nearly impossible.
>>
File: IMG_1384.jpg (166KB, 720x547px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1384.jpg
166KB, 720x547px
>>134959320
Picture 50 of this guy, one in each state
We'd be set
>>
>>134959174
1 man with a chainsaw could take out 10 miles of rural transmission line in a night. Nobody would hear you, and you cut them 80% through, then the final one you cut all the way through.. Cataclysmic damage.
>>
>>134959390
>They must have something valuable there.
They have a state-owned bank :O

But also oilfield jobs and white people don't mind the cold as much.
>>
>>134959320
you didnt describe a single way they could do so
>>
>>134959492
>Cataclysmic damage.
>rural transmission line

Nope.
>>
>>134957090
Best post in this thread. Very important. This will lead to the collapse of society if we don't EMP proof our grid. Military already proofs their vehicles.
>>
>>134959458
Why would you still be there within a day of giving response teams an excuse to gather away from your next target?
>>
>>134959320
I civil war fought by hundreds of lone wolf autistic would insanely fun.
>>
>>134959320

If you were china and russia you could easily get that number into the country. EAch asset not given knowledge of the others only that they have this one job.

It wouldn't even have to be 500.

you could do it with 30 people with the right visa or arranged marriage along with special equipment that is easily smuggled in on a shipping container.

Goshhh i could think about this shit all day.
Wish the government would pay me to do it.
>>
>>134955546
You know those extra large transformers you see near train stations and high power lines?

Those take about 6 months to build, and we don't keep any on hand.

>captcha is frei railway
>>
File: 1488477759204.jpg (242KB, 775x845px) Image search: [Google]
1488477759204.jpg
242KB, 775x845px
>>134955546
that doesn't seem like a good example of how the grid is fragile. 4 hours isn't bad for the majority of the population and hospitals and the such have backups. Grids are maintained, the real fragility is from sophisticated attacks that are now actually possible. I'm talking Y2K except it could actually happen. Computer bullshit. Stuxnet. Ukraine. Whole countries going down for more than a week.

The necessity is solar power for all homes to decentralize power production. Which either the free market or heavily subsidized industry will provide. The highest cost most likely being environmental from the manufacturing of the solar panels, but then we'd have a more hardened grid. We only need it in the first place to distribute power...lower that demand and it lowers the risk involved in failure.
tldr; transformers going out isnt shit, hacking the grid is becoming possible, fucking solar or bust anon
>>
>>134956158
Oh, jew!
>>
File: IMG_1325.jpg (133KB, 656x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1325.jpg
133KB, 656x898px
>>134959683
How would one go about taking one of those out?

Asking for a friend of course...
>>
>>134959492
>10 miles of rural transmission
>Cataclysmic damage.

What would the damage be? Everyones refrigerator would stop working? and lights? And the grocery stores, and gas stations? Cell phones would still work? And it would take some time to fix the lines, so it would be like the result of a hurricane?
>>
>>134959458
>With 500 people you have no chance of operational security.
That is why you need cells. You recruit two people who don't know about the other then they recruit two the same way and on and on. Very hard to deconstruct.
>>
>>134959610

you could phone in detonators. DEts could be sat comm recieved.

some high power expl disguised as the rocks that they use to fill the area inside the fences with.

shivers
>>
WHITES ARE TRYING TO RE-GROUP IN NORTH DAKOTA!
>>
>>134959838
Why not disable the cell tower generators in advance? Nobody's going to notice until they're needed.
>>
>>134958109
Food production will cease. Factories will cease. Water treatment facilities will cease. The result would be catastrophic.
>>
>>134959669
>you could do it with 30
what is the most damage 30 people could do to the grid?
(and then you may as well say how much more 50 could do)
>>
This sounds like something the man of the hour would do...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqjUNmnpLY
>>
>>134959569
>Best post in this thread. Very important. This will lead to the collapse of society if we don't EMP proof our grid. Military already proofs their vehicles.
The electric grid is being modified to protect against non nuclear EMP. It's not a complete job but every time work is done they add the protection drains.
>>
>>134959880

Spy agencies wouldn't even use cells they would have everyone independent. There would be no calculation of actor numbers.
>>
>>134959996
30 people could spend a few weeks roadtripping around setting bombs on high tension towers in the middle of nowhere pretty easy. Once the major interconnects are out, they'll have a hell of a time load balancing as the breakers cut off more of the grid and the decrepit parts melt or whatever on their own.

And that would be round #1. Going after the substations isn't the only way to play the grid game.
>>
>>134959984
The breakdown of the refrigerated food supply chain would be devastating. We are heavily reliant of perishable foods.
>>
>>134959933
>Why not disable the cell tower generators in advance?
So now you are going to B&E without setting off the alarms to how many towers?

The only real chance you have is inside man jobs.
>>
>>134960245
I'm not going to tell you that. But I can think of a few ways to go about it. And if it turns out to set off a pattern of alarms then you just go down the failure tree because now you have them distracted.
>>
File: mylar-sheets-7.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
mylar-sheets-7.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>>134960185
>30 people could spend a few weeks roadtripping around setting bombs on high tension towers in the middle of nowhere pretty easy.
What grade are you in?

Make confetti out of mylar and find ways for it to end up in electrical infrastructure.
>>
>>134960200
Targeting distribution centers would be the best way to do this, you ever see those big depots off the highway, where all the semis go? They supply food to all our grocery stores, take those out, and millions will die in cities and suburbs alike

The age of the rural retard is upon us
>>
>>134959996

Well if you have 30 people on sight seeing for 3 years with fun money, these people plant these rocks. all over.
there ya go. The enemys foot print just became 30 people in RV's with they are on vacation as an operation cover story.

I think the government should to explosives sniffing on all major sub nodes NOW. at 2 month intervals

and run explosive dogs every month.

this would throw off any coordination.

We could minimize the damage the enemy would do in a concerted manner.
>>
>>134960413
A grid worker friend of mine said it's commonplace for kids to get drunk and get coat hangers on the lines in his area of the country. They're used to common stuff like that.
>>
>>134959828
.308 and above, fire, or car crash.

Could use a smaller caliber but it would have to be AP. However, smaller caliber usually means you'd have to get closer and expose yourself.

Car windshields do a decent job of blocking thermal imaging, and Mylar can be used as well. You know, hypothetically, if you knew they had infrared sensors.

>captcha virgen response
>>
>>134959933
>Why not disable the cell tower generators in advance? Nobody's going to notice until they're needed
the first trucker into the town in a day or two will know, word will get around fast
>>
>>134960481
>we need to spend more money
>we need more police state

kill yourself shill
>>
>>134960413

yeah...no. ultra high expl does the job in a perm manner and requires long repairs.

X that by hundreds of hits and the strain is ro great to tackle at once.
>>
>>134960653
And how would he know? The cell tower at that point is still on the grid and running normally.

How often do they test the generators? And what method did you use to make sure the generators won't last?
>>
>>134960655

enjoy no power
faggot

I'm at least an american first you fucking edgelord
>>
>>134960888
>I'm a real American
>that's why I want to increase police presence to protect our freedoms!

the irony
>>
>>134960200
Are you thinking of a case of no power ever again, or just a disruption?

The oil and gas industry is very robust when they simply lose power rather than having their power connections catastrophically fail. If you cut the power line to a refinery it's almost surely going to enter a controlled shutdown on backup power until they get their island mode generation running.

While not all oil wells are able to run on local byproduct fuel sources a fair number are able to run without outside electrical power.
Gas wells generally only need small electrical loads and generally run on batteries. They would use solar but people just steal the panels.
The natural gas networks run without outside power. The compressors in the pipelines burn pipeline gas while the gas plants normally use grid power but have gas fired backups.
Oil refineries do use huge amount of electrical power but most also have co-generation plants that run on piped fuel.

So long as refineries and gas processors are running you have fuel production. With that you can run the local generation systems. Those big frozen food processors have generators for their fridges. Although most don't have the local electrical generation to run everything.
The way to look at is is to say how much does it cost to have this facilities off for a day? Refineries don't make money if they have to shut down while electrical power is out.
>>
>>134960888
>not being in favor of accelerationism
Go back to Redd*t you moronic faggot
>>
>>134956000
Long distance transmission lines would be prohibitively expensive to put underground. In the air they can be exposed conductors, underground they would have to be sealed and armoured.
>>
>>134960752
>How often do they test the generators?
Once a week.
>>
>Be me shitposting
>Accidentally discover super-secret team white man plan to 'hold North Dakota at all costs'
>Everyone talking about taking down power grids
>.gov, NSA, FBI shills everywhere in the thread
HOLY FUCK WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT NORTH DAKOTA?
>>
>>134958629
As if thats not what they want
>>
>>134960739
>ultra high expl does
I move for super duper extra high expl osives.
>>134960570
During the invasion of Iraq the Air Force had some weapon that dispensed mylar chaff or conductive monofilament that drifted into transmission lines and substation. Once all that crap is in the insulators it has to be washed out because of constant shorting or extra corona loss.
>>
>>134959933
>Nobody's going to notice until they're needed
Cell tower constantly report their status to the servers, any generator (or quite a few these days have fuel cells) problems get flagged almost in real time. Reliability among networks is very competitive. Also I'm sure they have your average intruder alarm as well and you'd be picked up before you hit the second one.
t.worked for a mobile company years ago
>>
>>134961183
Are you retarded or just shitposting, I can't tell? I'm pretty sure I replied to you the other night when you were asking about North Dakota and why you thought it was so special.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

Test run? Society would have completely broken down had the power stayed off for 3 or 4 more days.
>>
>>134961176
Why did you reveal this information? Are you going to tell us all how long they run them for each test?

Stop tempting me into elaborating how easy that makes it.
>>
>>134956999
You don't know anything about the grid at all son.
>>
>>134961351
>problems get flagged almost in real time.
Shush, leaf. You're giving away the secret plan :D
>>
>>134961203
That sounds like bullshit. Any material light enough to drift in the wind would be vapourised in the first millisecond of a dead short situation. HV transmission circuit breakers are also designed to auto reclose on faults to blow them out (tree branches, possums, people).
>>
>>134961644
>. HV transmission circuit breakers are also designed to auto reclose on faults to blow them out (tree branches, possums, people).
They usually only try that for one cycle before someone has to go look for the fault.
>>
>>134961438
>Are you going to tell us all how long they run them for each test?
About 40min is industry standard for backup generators.

Some places go an hour but no one less than 30min.

If you wanted to destroy the generators at a cell tower you don't need even to enter the shack. Just cover the air intake with a tarp, or start a fire at the intake, or mix a gas fuel into the air which causes the generator to wildly overpower and fail. If you ever saw the deepwater horizon movie when the well gas got sucked into their generators and their electric grid overvolted is exactly what happens in real life.

Although for anarchy fun the old Vyacheslav Molotov drink of choice earns style points.
>>
>>134956999
The entirety of east Melbourne is fed from one large Substation with one feeder that's splits off into smaller substations. The power authorities here have been working on hardening the grid (making it more ring main than tree and branch) to make it more reliable but there's still a ton of vulnerabilities. Power authorities won't install remote access (internet) HV switches due to fear of hacking, opening a few switched could kill power to millions of homes.
>>
>>134961380
No more tricks! I know 'the truth' now. All of you government assholes have some kind of plan going on...
You're willing to cede California, Texas, Illinois...
Nothing matters to the white man more than North Dakota!
>>
>>134961861
The ones supplying my factory reclose 3 times.
>>
File: blu-114-art.jpg (69KB, 571x981px) Image search: [Google]
blu-114-art.jpg
69KB, 571x981px
This worked in Iraq, Serbia and Orange Country California.
>>
>>134962079
Do it cunt, it's the ultimate shitpost
>>
>>134961934
A number of the buildings I walk by daily test their generators. They're kind of loud, so it's easy to notice if you're up at odd hours with nobody else around. That comports with my experience.

I don't think you'd even really need to creep up to the shack, but that'd be a valid tactic depending on strategy.
>>
>>134959561
Rural transmission line feeds substations. 500,000 volt system is on steel towers, but the 138,000 volt can frequently be found on wood poles. Take out the loop feed to 138,000 volt to 25,000 volt substation and there is no easy fix. It would take days to rebuild, if not weeks.

I did not legitimatly mean cataclysmic you retarded nigger, but it's pretty decent for one guy with a chainsaw
>>
>>134956999
>>134961444
I'm gonna go ahead and check these for you.
>>
>>134962079
Do it yourself ASIO. I bet your AFP pals would fucking love a riot in east Melbourne.
>>
>>134962168
They reclose 3 times here as well.

Sometimes one further down will break and reclose so you get what seems like 4, but there's always an unusual and expectable delay when that happens.
>>
>>134962397
Rural distribution or transmission?
>>
All attacks on the grid would be localized to some specific area and even the worst case scenario would leave an antire city powerless TEMPORARILY.

There would be a MASSIVE relief effort.
Deaths would occur but only feral niggers and the elderly and the poor and stupid.

People say katrina was handled wrong? It wasn't. Those negroids had time to flee. They were warned of a "catastrophic devastating" hurrican that would "kill many". The relief effort following katrina was commendable. The problem was niggers. Stupid niggers being niggers. Not leaving when asked. Rioting. Being smelly. Being a nuisance. That was the issue.

If an entire city is blacked out from an attack on the grid, so what? It'd be less devastating than katrina. There wouldn't be the that deadly destruction factor that left the remaning niggers to the knees in shit filled hazardeous water.

A large scale relocation effort would be used. Billions of dollars would be raised via charity to relief efforts. Hundreds of thousands of volunteers would fly in from all over the world to pass out water.

The problem is always gonna be niggers chimping out however. At least if it ever happened under trump we can expect a large military presence in the city while they work to restore power.

An advisary is better off using other means to cause destruction or at best, they could couple an event with an attack on the grid for maximum devastation
>>
>>134955546

if you are a stupid american who puts their power cables above ground like literally in fucking africa then yes
>>
>>134955546
This is great news for me, I'm grateful for our shitty power grid, it'll mean more work and opportunity for me when I become a union lineman
>>
Lol they don't have to do anything to destroy the West

demographic destiny, the unrelenting MSM, the Jewish financiers, all of it is left uncheck and the government lets them run wild. all our adversaries have to do is wait and we will destroy ourselves in time.

this country will simply not function as it once did when it is majority brown
>>
>>134962536
Doesn't matter. If you're hiking through the woods you might get several 138k or other wooden towers all using the same channel of land.

And why would you even care if they're wooden or not?
>>
>>134962967
lol easy to say when your country is the size of a large cuckshed
>>
>>134963575
Seriously.
>drive 100 miles
>100 miles of lines on poles
>drive another 100 miles
>another 100 miles of lines on poles
>destination 100 miles away
>one of the lines takes a sharp turn
>another 100 miles of lines on poles

We'd have to genocide every nigger in the world to have them dig and bury all that.
>>
>>134962967
But most of our cables are above ground as well
>>
This is really moot.
>OP happened because its a small town
In the middle of nowhere there are not many lines coming in.

In a big city the lines are designed in a larger parallel circuit. Even if one area blows out, only a small area will lose power. The central lines are extremely difficult to get close to.
>>
page 1 all the time
>shield me baby
save my rhyme
>>
>>134964070
Local substation used to be pretty hidden but then they landscaped the hillside. I don't know what's up with that.

I'll give them credit, though. One time I was up on a building and got to watch live some drunk guy ram his SUV in a substation the next town over. I don't know what he hit, but they were able to get it back up by the next morning.
>>
>>134955546
That's why we need Tesla's plans for wireless energy transmission. We have the technology for it, but it is extremely lossy.
Or, we need to generate current from the ground.
But, which utility company will we have to pay for that service?
>>
>>134958439
This guy is such a LARPing faggot.

>muh government lapdogs wud never turn on citizens
>Literally does it fucking every day without a problem
>Even did it in the 90s with Waco and Ruby Ridge
>>
>>134957848
Happened on a Friday afternoon, that early 2000s east coast brown out was a trial. Lots of robberies took place that weekend in the shittier cities lel
>>
>>134955546
In 2003 there was a blackout that knocked power out in five states. It was caused by a squirrel.

Our grid is shit. We've known about this for decades. You can knock out power to an entire city block with nothing more than a good throw and a length of chain into a substation.
>>
You should read one second after
>>
Why?
We have a civilization designed to resist this kind of disaster if and when one arises.
We can move goods, people, food, shelter, anything we need across the nation in a matter of hours.
When a tornado or something levels a town it doesn't descend into anarchy unless it's entirely populated by niggers like new Orleans.
If some akbar shoots a few transformers we'll have it fixed in less than a week.
>>
>>134957007

wanna guess how fragile russia's power supply is?
>>
>>134959828
Thermite.
>>
File: 1430589221032.jpg (27KB, 387x519px) Image search: [Google]
1430589221032.jpg
27KB, 387x519px
>>134967014
Good goy Oooorah fight Russia and Iran
>>
>>134965096
Depends on the Grid. Midwest grid is very weak. Northwest grid and west coast grid is fairly robust and can survive a transmission substation going down, although some small towns will lose power.

A few years ago a group tried to knock out power to the Bay area. They used high-power rifles to shoot substations transformers and cut underground fiber optic communication lines to delay the response. It didn't cause a blackout but it fucked shit up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack
>>
>>134956481
that's great and all, but the problems are riots of those who aren't the handful who have backup power

>>134956999
witnessed

>>134962079
ring main? so you'd have to destroy 2 transformers?
>>
>>134962079
Where do you get the information to find out which substations are important?
>>
File: microwave.jpg (117KB, 1065x710px) Image search: [Google]
microwave.jpg
117KB, 1065x710px
>>134968166
You can just follow where all the high-voltage lines come into and out of. Dispatch and control centers are going to be pretty high security, generally. Why are you asking?

>>134959011
It's not just insurgents, this is the first thing any doctrine military force would do. Cut power and cut communications.

In my area, substations can communicate with pic related in emergency situations.
>>
>>134966294
>ANCAPs triggered
This is why governments exist.
>>
>>134955546
Nice fbi bait thread
>>
>>134962673
what if there was a katrina in every majot city at once?
>>
You could easily take out a large city or region by cutting 3 Current transformers wires.
or if you don't have a pair of wire cutters you can shoot out the Bucholz realy of a transformer
either would take maybe a week to repair Depending on spares in your town/region

Arab snipers were targeting Bucholz relays. cunt of a thing to fix
>>
File: 1494907528632 copy.jpg (678KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1494907528632 copy.jpg
678KB, 720x960px
>>134956184
THANK YOU BASED ARCHIVEANON
>>
File: file.png (120KB, 620x369px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
120KB, 620x369px
>Meanwhile
>In Texas
>>
>>134971287
this pic is not at all accurate, I work for Xcel here in minnesota and we're on the canadian power grid in my city
>>
>>134972966
Yes and texas interconnections actually extend a bit outside the border, not so much the other way around.
>source: npr.org
fucking kek

But the point is there is a major west, and major east, grid, and we have our own.
t. a texan energy guy
>>
File: EMP.jpg (54KB, 468x289px) Image search: [Google]
EMP.jpg
54KB, 468x289px
Reminder that our entire system can be taken down permanently by an EMP.
>>
>>134970772
try cutting a CT secondary without any protection and then tell me the hospital bill
>>
>>134971287
Texas's grid isn't any more secure than anywhere else in the case of a direct attack on the grid itself.
>>
>>134958587
Mine is all underground too. Most neighborhoods in Florida built after Hurricane Andrew have underground lines as well, and the local power utility will actually chip in half the cost for any towns willing to convert their above-ground lines (pricey, though)
>>
>>134971287
Damn, Ukrainian military sure advanced far into enemy territory.
>>
File: Shovel.jpg (40KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Shovel.jpg
40KB, 800x800px
>>134974356
>oh hai there
>>
>>134974432
Howdy, neighbor
>>
>>134955546
>not having underground power lines
third world tier
>>
What's a sasuketoon?
>>
Not sure if this has been posted yet but its one of the crazier unsolved mysteries I've seen

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/02/05/272015606/sniper-attack-on-calif-power-station-raises-terrorism-fears
>>
>>134974460
Just taking out your City's power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3k3Un9pNk
>>
>>134973799
Did Obama not order preotection/upgrades against this years ago?
>>
File: cucknadian leader laughing.jpg (60KB, 570x411px) Image search: [Google]
cucknadian leader laughing.jpg
60KB, 570x411px
>>134958486
>waiting for annual income taxâ„¢ rebate so i can buy my Mz. Beaverton (xi)her necessities
>hear on my government sponsored CBC bulletins that another crises has affected critical Canadian infrastructure
>hear combines revving in the field
>du pont must have kicked in yo
>that roundup rdy be extra fine this year, killed every fucking dandelion in 13.37 kms
>achievement unlocked
>pledge additional agribonds to bail out the fat prairie dog fuckers out in the flatlands
>OPEC calls
>alberta dies
>fucking gives up on bipartisan bullshit and elects highschoolers
>give a child terrorist 10m to distract from dog fucking and cannabis futures
>uncle sam loses their shit and demands 10x in real money
>whiskey is fronzen in July because i left it in the civic
>BC sells out to child labour enthusiasts

at least theres no fucking emus.
>>
>>134974650
Ha!! Do you understand how fucked our electric infrastructure is? Every storm half my city loses power.
>>
>>134955546
I remember when 1/4 of California had no power, and people thought it was terrorists?
>>
>>134957848
i know of a guy that was a police officer when it happened. he had to keep going back to the station to get ammo

after the event he moved and got a new job
>>
>>134974586
>http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/02/05/272015606/sniper-attack-on-calif-power-station-raises-terrorism-fears
Our own government doing a practice run
>>
>>134974735
And is it private profiteering or incompetent government to blame for that? Here, I think the government owns the grid but private companies provide the power.
>>
>>134974930
It's a private/public partnership.
>>
>>134974624
Sure, but a backhoe is slightly more difficult to hit and run with than a rifle and a transformer.
>>
>>134955546
>saskatoon
>modern power infrastructure
m8
>>
>>134956831
a year or so ago we had a guy who got fired from the cable company due to office politics. mother fucker went around with a bolt cutter and single handedly took down our local access to the internet.... 5 times.

People who had their phone bundled with their cable were doubly screwed.
>>
>>134955546
it's scary how fragile it is
I was driving over the cascades a few weeks ago and noticed that essentially all the power the puget sound region uses goes through those power lines
>>
>>134962304
neat
>>
>>134957280
West German power grid was quite heavily secured, with underground cabling and redundant connections to the cities. It was expensive, but the cold war situation demanded it.
>>
>>134974843
One theory I've read is that it was private military contractors. The motive for the attack being that all of the new security measures protecting the power grid would earn some security firm millions of dollars in government contracts.
>>
>>134958009
>Maybe young white men in particular see no meaningful future in a degenerate, corrupt & weak west.
u mad white boi?
>>
File: high-voltage-n9v.jpg (103KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
high-voltage-n9v.jpg
103KB, 1200x776px
EE power manager here.

Fun fact: If you knock out the correct 5-10 transmission towers you can black out a continent.
>>
We accidentally the whole power grid last year
>>
>>134955844
I got it. Might not be readable in this format, though.
>>
This might also be relevant. Its definitely worth the read
>>
File: nig_chop.png (217KB, 568x480px) Image search: [Google]
nig_chop.png
217KB, 568x480px
>be a plumber
>october 2001
>spics tied in to a corporate hookup bypassing meters - free water to lay bricks
>understand that they are taking water out but still recognice the FUCKING MASSIVE SECURITY FLAW here
>call the state polce and inform them of the danger
>they laugh and tell me to call the water company they don't deal with that sort of stuff

I live in the second largest city in my state, I have NEVER ONCE seen a backflow prevention device on ANY PIPE ANYWHERE in the entire city. City pumps between 60 - 100 psi at the tap, anyone could find a service tap, or a corporate tap and pump in ANYTHING they wanted at 100+ psi and NO ONE would be the wiser.

This was 16 years ago, and there still to this day are no backflow preventers. This may not make sense to some of you, but this is a MASSIVE fucking security flaw, you could poison an entire fucking town and no one would even know where you were or how you done it.

As a plumber, I REFUSE to drink tap water. People buy them dollar store hose sprayers to hook up to their tubs and wash their dogs, etc, then leave them laying in the tub full of water, say there was a leak somewhere in the line it could suck their bath water back in to the line.

Plumbing can be a savior, as it has been for 100+ years, or if you were smart, determined and evil it could be used as an unmitigated gateway in to hundreds of thousands of homes.

I would dare say that plumbing could be the greatest weapon a terrorist could ever ask for.
>>
>>134979458
The entirety of human civilization rests on the shaky assumption that one of us won't go crazy
>>
>>134979239
noice well hope not see u guys in 5months get to work
>>
>>134979458
wuts the name of ur city just want to know
>>
File: leobait.png (16KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
leobait.png
16KB, 360x361px
>>134980240
duckburg
>>
>>134980419
fine state?
>>
File: IMG_0702.png (1MB, 1163x1385px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0702.png
1MB, 1163x1385px
>>134958678
Speak for yourself, that sounds great to me.
>>
File: 1417660669669.jpg (52KB, 609x480px) Image search: [Google]
1417660669669.jpg
52KB, 609x480px
>>134980487
It doesn't matter the state or city, I would estimate 99% of all cities and states have this vulnerability, backflow valves are expensive and the sheer number of them you would need to secure a water supply is just not obtainable, not to mention cost prohibitive. I'm sure you could isolate sections of the distribution routes but it would be impossible to have a BFPD on every tap.
>>
File: day_in_the_office.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
day_in_the_office.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Another story of mine since I know the FBI is all over this thread, and this shit needs to be known, by all not just me and the "bad guys".

>be a licensed plumber, not enough $$$
>become a pipeliner
>2-03 work a job in Clinton NJ
>russian co-worker extremely anti-American
>russia dude maps out every weld and valve with GPS, now if this guy were survey I would have paid no mind, but he wasn't survey, he was a pleb like me.
>decide somethings not right about this, somethings not right at all.
>get home from work, call FBI and tell them, they act as if I was a retard and basically blow me off.

Americans need to know, their are foreigners on our soil, mapping out our infrastructure with coordinates taht are accurate if not more so than the company blueprints. As survey is too fucking lazy to climb in a ditch, they usually take coords from the top of the bank, this motherfucker would sit on the weld and write shit down in a notebook with a garmin.
>>
>>134973817
>cutting at the CT and not the junction box where you have some cover from the exploding porcelain
>>
File: 1409895974770.gif (2MB, 350x320px) Image search: [Google]
1409895974770.gif
2MB, 350x320px
Every thread I post in dies... I hate /nu/pol
>>
>>134983505
It's alright dude. Every time they notice backflow they flip their shit and issues massive warning about running the tap and put on a boiling warning.

One more reason for end point filtration.
>>
>>134983505
give me your city name and ill write it in my book
>>
>>134955546
If you carefully shoot at is in such a way as to put a hole in the transformer case but not internally short it out, it'll drain all the mineral oil and then overheat at a later time. An evil terrorist could therefore get away with it more easily. They'd just have to make sure to shoot only at the corners and not dead-center.
>>
File: 1500863393948.jpg (143KB, 901x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500863393948.jpg
143KB, 901x1200px
>>134983702
If I were to minimally overpressure the line, the last thing you want to do is leave your tap open, lol, but hey what do I know. The boil advisory might help I guess, I am not a chemist or botanist, just a lowly pipelayer. I don't know what chemicals would be ideal, but I am very familiar with how they could be delivered.
>>
File: 1414024076883.jpg (76KB, 600x387px) Image search: [Google]
1414024076883.jpg
76KB, 600x387px
>>134983782
I already told you faggot, lrn2read.
>>
>>134979458
Someone would need a fuckload of poison.
>>
>>134979589
>The entirety of human civilization rests on the shaky assumption that one of us won't go crazy
No its not.
>>
>>134983923
Clinton NJ

>Clinton
>NJ

im sorry anon if thats the city you live in theres notting other then a nuke can do too help you
>>
>>134983864
One time they had to replace the main down the street and told everybody to turn off the main valve so the plumbing wouldn't blow apart when they turned the main back on.

Yeah. So that's how I was able to rent the place for pennies, although I had to fix the plumbing, disinfect lower floor, and convince the water board to refund 700gal of flow.
>>
>>134955546
There was a very old greentext about war planners in the US who go through various simulations. One of them did say power infrastructure was indeed incredibly vulnerable to just about anyone with a decent level of marksmanship.
>>
>>134957294
>Only a nation with nothing left to lose would bother target our grids.
Probably indians. Not the Asian ones; the other ones that've lost everything and live on reservations.
>>
>>134983923
are you talking main lines? In my city...Maybe state? Everyone has to have a backflow device for their automatic sprinklers, and every buildings fire sprinkler system had a backflow device. I only did apprenticeshit teir level fire suppression system stuff. Please explain in more detail.
>>
File: q7enqzx5.jpg (127KB, 901x820px) Image search: [Google]
q7enqzx5.jpg
127KB, 901x820px
>>134984041

Not sure I understand at what you're getting at, the only thing I could see shutting off a main at the house for is to stop air from getting in your lines causing hammering. Although the scenario you describe is one where someone could siphon their tub water in to a municipal supply, by backslow with a dollar store hose, which happens more than you'd think, but is 99.9% of the time accidental.
you ever see them soap dispensers at walmart? you hook them up to your hose and they "suck" the soap out in to the stream, that is "backflow"
One could contaminate a supply using that method, which would be slow and reliant on open valves, or one could pump in at a slightly higher pressure any fluid substance they wanted which would not rely on open valves, of course you wouldn't want to over pressure by more than say 10 psi, as you would blow peoples pipes out of their wall causing an immediate alert that somethings up.
>>
>>134984253
Subcontinental Indians are not Asians. They're basically a Gypsy-Nigger mix. Don't buy the British lies.
>>
File: nig_chop_job.png (319KB, 635x481px) Image search: [Google]
nig_chop_job.png
319KB, 635x481px
>>134984291
Cities, and municipalities often have BFPD on commercial installs at the expense of the owner/buyer. THEY DO NOT install them on their own system. You go to any corporate hookup and show me a BFPD, I'll wait.
>>
>>134984441
What I don't get is why the water company didn't just send a nigger in a pickup down the road to turn everybody's water off at the lockbox in the sidewalk beforehand, and then do a mass restoration after the work was done.

Then again, they're incompetent.
>>
>>134957848
It didn't last long enough and/or was not frequent enough.
>>
File: geomotry.png (292KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
geomotry.png
292KB, 653x490px
>>134984671
I still do not understand how them turning off, then turning on the supply pressure could harm your plumbing, at all. Unless you had VERY old plumbing and the air hammer caused your pipes to separate at old fittings. Shit like that happens daily all over the country and is never a problem, hell every time you flush your toilet, or open and close a valve you are essentially depressurizing your pipes, then once closed re-pressurizing, depending on how fast you do it, would essentially be the same thing as you describe.

Lotta old copper systems suffer from hammering, people open and close a valve really quick causing the water in the pipes to come to an abrupt stop which in turn causes the pipes to jerk inside their walls. Of course in this day and age of niggers and pillheads copper installs aren't very common anymore. I would always take a 1/2x3/4x1/2" tee and leave about a 12" tall 3/4" piece of pipe on the hot and cold side of a shower valve which pretty much eliminates air hammering by giving the water an air cushion to "smack" in to.
>>
>>134962080
Oil.
>>
>>134955546
>Americans don't know about underground cabling
>>
>>134979239
that was a very interesting read i always said that i wanted us to focus on our country and its infrastructure first over anything else, because how can we hope to help anyone else if we cant even help ourselves.
>>
>>134984441
>of course you wouldn't want to over pressure by more than say 10 psi
Residential copper/pvc pipe is good for 1800psi. Less so for unions, but "care you don't go 10psi over" is retarded.
>>
>>134985116
I don't know the rationale exactly, but there a lot of ~100 year old construction in the area so apparently they were used to what might happen. In my particular case it blew apart one of the pipes going in to the kitchen and popped apart the fitting that connected to the toilet on the 2nd story.

What gets me is I got a job a brand new office building in the area and they apparently did fuckall about air hammering. First time in my life I try to use the bathroom
*BAM* ...ssssshhhhhht
ok
*CLUNK* ...sssssssss...
jesus

You can feel the vibrations when you're sitting on the pot and once in a while one of the pipes will rattle against the wall. And this is supposed to be a fancy new LEED gold building.
>>
File: A_FUCKING_LEAF.jpg (165KB, 940x545px) Image search: [Google]
A_FUCKING_LEAF.jpg
165KB, 940x545px
>>134985329
I have installed more pipe than you could ever comprehend. In short I know that you are talking out of your ass.

I would love to see your leaf ass pressure up some 1/2" cpvc to 1800 psi, I will stand 300 meters away and watch while you get shrapneled to death. You have ZERO fucking clue what you're talking about kid, and I mean you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>134985329
1800 psi is a fuckton of pressure. Thats hydraulic system range bro. No fucking way you are getting a shitty piece of copper pipe thats halfass soldered together to hold back that.
>>
File: canadianPlaidWithWomen.jpg (9KB, 292x173px) Image search: [Google]
canadianPlaidWithWomen.jpg
9KB, 292x173px
>>134985544
>I have installed more pipe than you could ever comprehend.
Your mom disagrees.
>>
>>134985116
Oh another time. Property down the road I was overseeing as part of the deal. I had a guy installing a new furnace and I forget what the situation was, but there was a spigot plumbed like 2' off the meter.

So I get home from work to check up on how it's going and the spigot nails across the basement for no reason
>fucking water everywhere
>main valve won't shut off all the way
>frantically try to take the pressure out from other valves
>drain the house out
Dude winds up clamping what's left of the pipe together and torching the fuck out of it until he can get some solder into the folded up pipe.

>alright that'll do!
>>
File: 4004-060.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
4004-060.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>134985329
schedule 40, rated @160 psi, WHICH IS A FUCKTON! and I am amazed it is so high! obviously this piece is PVC, but you get some of the cellular core garbage and I bet it wouldnt hold 20 psi.

When I install a DWV system in a house we use blowups in all the open ends, or cap them off, then pressure it up to 5 psi, where it remains until it is inspected and passed, when you go to take a 4" blowup out of a residential system at 5psi it will shoot that blowup hundreds of feet in to the air. 5psi on 400-600 feet of pipe is a hell of a lot more than you think.

On pipeline jobs, we pressure up to about 6000 psi, and I wouldn't even try to explain to your dumb larping ass what all is involved in that process, but I will say this, at pressures that high if you make 1 fuck up it would be your very last.
>>
>>134985723
>gets btfo for talking out his ass
>mom jokes

another proud day for canada
>>
File: found_a_faggot.png (101KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
found_a_faggot.png
101KB, 500x375px
>>134985723
>Your mom
hahahaha, I had you pegged at just a leaf, now I know you are a nigger leaf which is beneath contempt and any further replies.
>>
File: luberjackWithWoman.jpg (10KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
luberjackWithWoman.jpg
10KB, 298x169px
>>134985723
n1 fellow leaf. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>134985945
>5psi on 400-600 feet of pipe is a hell of a lot more than you think.
...not using water
>On pipeline jobs, we pressure up to about 6000 psi
Nopes.
>at pressures that high if you make 1 fuck up it would be your very last.
...again, not using water...
>>
>>134955546
In Chech republic transfomers looks more like this. I bet some 9 mm shots wouldnt do shiet. Burgers got even transformers made in China.
>>
File: Trafo-ilustrace_1k.jpg (290KB, 1000x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Trafo-ilustrace_1k.jpg
290KB, 1000x1053px
>>134986446
oops forgot pic
>>
People you can find, but from Carrington-like event we're never going to be secure.
>>
>>134986446
unless you shoot isolators ofc
>>
File: 1409865014284.jpg (20KB, 496x553px) Image search: [Google]
1409865014284.jpg
20KB, 496x553px
>>134986324
All pipelines are hydro tested @ 6000+ psi, some less and some a lot more, just depends on the application, gas lines are usually tested at much higher pressures than say a crude line.

Tell me wiseguy, how do you get water to a house, when you are there to put the water lines in? The city isn't just gonna come out and turn the water on for you to do a test on a house, the city DOES NOT turn ANY WATER ON at said residence until the plumbing is installed and PASSED INSPECTION. Hence the usage of air you dense larping faggot.

Your lack of understanding is just debilitating, I am amazed you are able to operate a computer, although I am sure it's a MAC.

I'm done responding to you.
>>
>>134986513
mmm comfy commie transformers

I don't recall if the bottom is all that thick on those things, but it's not like people are shooting transformers with 9mm hand guns anyway.
>>
>>134986676
My city turns the water on as long as there is somebody 18+ present to take responsibility in case anything goes wrong.

Or sometimes they don't turn the water on because they're fuckups.
>>
File: unninstalling_win_10.webm (2MB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
unninstalling_win_10.webm
2MB, 400x408px
>>134986835
And who do they bill for the water that has passed through their meter, anyone 18+? I'm not doubting you, but it sounds to me like you live in Mayberry, in a larger city, things don't work like that, and good fucking luck getting a contractor, or builder to pay a water bill so you can do your job properly, not to mention that if they are dumb enough to have the water turned on, they will only do it once because every mexican motherfucker in the county will be there filling up his 500 gallon tank to go lay brick on another contractors house.
>>
>>134987047
Whoever owns the property. I live in a name-brand city, but lots of things are still old-fashioned.

I used to have to go down to the water company headquarters to pay the bill before I finally got the outstanding unpaid charges sorted out. You would not believe the stories I'd hear waiting for my turn at the window. no mexicans here but we do have niggers.
>>
File: fireStokingKit.jpg (66KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
fireStokingKit.jpg
66KB, 800x800px
>>134986676
>6000+ psi, some less and some a lot more
Show me data sheets of non sub-8" pipe capable of 6000psi...
>ell me wiseguy, how do you get water to a house, when you are there to put the water lines in?
Water Truck. Too easy.
NEXT!
>>
>>134955546

Pic is a recloser, not a transformer. Anything in that medium voltage category is also irrelevant. 300kV range is where the widespread damage would be caused.
>>
File: lqei1g84.jpg (235KB, 1000x1053px) Image search: [Google]
lqei1g84.jpg
235KB, 1000x1053px
>>134986513
not to break your patriotic confidence Ivan, but why waste valuable 9mm nigger stoppers, when you can use a .177 caliber pelletgun and shoot the ceramic insulators? I'm sure the results would be the same ;) cheers.
>>
>>134987485
Only the upper six matter. Otherwise the switches will just blow.
>>
>>134987631
Bigger fireball if you shoot the 3 on the transformer he didn't highlight.
>>
File: Office_view.jpg (1MB, 2592x1458px) Image search: [Google]
Office_view.jpg
1MB, 2592x1458px
>>134987324
>Show me data sheets of non sub-8" pipe capable of 6000psi...
suck a dick larper, get a job on the pipeline through the UA and figure it out for yourself.

>Water Truck. Too easy.
yeah cause that would be sooooo much cheaper, easier and wiser than using a $100 air compressor and reusable blowups.

aaaaand that is my LAST reply to you, stoke this American cock in your jaw faggot, you got blown the fuck out with common sense, logic and facts.
>>
>>134987324
8" pipe.

please show me examples of such a pipe faggot, 2/3 of a foot thick pipe may exist in your dreams mate but in reality such a pipe would only be a custom order for an autist such as your self
>>
>>134987778
Fireball sure, but that's just going to take out the transformer, not possibly a longer run of line.
>>
File: measuringTape.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
measuringTape.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>134988050
>please show me examples of such a pipe faggot, 2/3 of a foot thick pipe may exist in your dreams mate but in reality such a pipe would only be a custom order for an autist such as your self
...not talking wall thickness, aussie.
>>
File: hitlerColor.jpg (8KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
hitlerColor.jpg
8KB, 221x228px
>>134987964
>claims oil pipelines have burst pressures far in excess of 6000psi
>is asked for citation
>unable to provide

Compresses large mass of air in a potentially unstable vessel (aka, a bomb)...instead of spending $50 for water.
>>
>>134960200
Target auto parts suppliers too, factory loading docks are exceptionally vulnerable to intrusion during warm months and the smoking doors frequently have their locks bypassed, especially during winter
>>
>>134981541
>muh Russians
>>
>>134968749
Can confirm, I'm actively waiting to shoot someone entering my site. Fingers crossed for sandnigger personally.

>t. DOE Security
>>
This is why in Europe the powergrids are buried (with the exception of long distance wires).

A pretty advanced GIS network is used to track down disruptions in power, water or gas.

USA infrastructure is just really third world
>>
File: ALL_ILLEGAL_IN_EUROSTAN.jpg (358KB, 800x681px) Image search: [Google]
ALL_ILLEGAL_IN_EUROSTAN.jpg
358KB, 800x681px
>>134989530
this was long before any of the current day garbage, and is 100% true, I did fuck up the year though, it was in 2002, not 2003.
>>
>>134955546
this is why you should work towards an on-grid off-grid setup. so you can use power from the grid when it's available, but if it drops you have redundancy. buy a generator or buy solar panels and setup a battery bank, build a solar generator, build a wind generator. just something, doesn't have to be huge and power your entire house. can be something that supplies just enough to keep the lights on, or just enough to keeps the lights on and charge your phone and devices and stuff.
>>
>>134989650
>implying I couldn't take out local ancient underground ducts, lines, and transformers
>implying that's going to be faster to fix than just getting a bucket truck out to the poles
>>
>>134989812
Having the fridge or freezer off for too long sucks balls.

On the one hand, that's a good excuse to set up a small neighborhood party with free food. On the other hand at least I can run it part-time off the inverter I put in my car, assuming I don't mind the fuel consumption.

There's much to be said for even a small solar setup, though, even if it's just to recharge batteries so you can run small lights, your phone, a radio, whatever else.
>>
>>134979356
Can I get some more info on the communists creating a "dog eat dog attitude"? What does that entail and how does it stop military men from going over to the rebels' side?
>>
File: never.jpg (84KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
never.jpg
84KB, 960x720px
>>134956000
No one will ever be able to afford long distance underground high voltage lines over 100kV.
>>
>>134983934
ehhhhh, depends on the kind of poison you're willing to use. Some only need PPM concentrations to be lethal, but not all of them are readily and easily soluble in water
>>
>>134981541
Hmm
>>
>>134990204
And don't forget about all the Chinese. Not all of them are as dopey and hapless as they appear.
>>
>>134989611
don't mess with DOES
>>
>>134959492
>Cataclysmic damage
>One single transmission string
Good thing most people do not understand transmission lines vs radial lines.
>>
File: 11September-01.jpg (35KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
11September-01.jpg
35KB, 640x429px
>>134981541
>call FBI and tell them, they act as if I was a retard and basically blow me off
The FBI wouldn't blow off a tip like that...

Oh wait.
>>
>>134955546
Wasnt there a plan to update the grid that got shelved when we paid to bail out the banks instead?
>>
File: anons_electrical_mystery.png (52KB, 579x591px) Image search: [Google]
anons_electrical_mystery.png
52KB, 579x591px
>>134990757
>>
>>134955546
go to bed mr Noory
>>
>>134961861
Depends on the line 1 2 3 4 reclose attempts and each one will indicate a fault distance. Boom you just showed where you are.
>>
>>134991401
The worst is when you're stuck waiting for #3 because if #3 doesn't stick you know you're fucked. You might as well go make a sandwich at that point while you wait for #4 because it's not going to work anyway.
>>
File: tuefingen07.jpg (223KB, 488x650px) Image search: [Google]
tuefingen07.jpg
223KB, 488x650px
this is where we used to put transformers, but nowadays most power lines are underground and the accompanying transformers are in big grey boxes.
>>
>>134962967
Coming from a country that doesn't know how to Automatic Generator Control. Be careful of those kettles!
https://youtu.be/WCAzalhldg8
>>
>>134991669

the problem is in the northeast US the linemen unions are so far up the state government asses they refuse to bury lines because it ensures work after storms and accidents.

With all of the snow and trees we have burying the lines is a no-brainer but they refuse to do it.
>>
>>134970772
No you would be fine cutting just use rubber shoes. LOL
>>
File: 1464152579154.jpg (100KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1464152579154.jpg
100KB, 400x300px
>>134991669
that id....
>>
>>134955546
That's not a transformer. That's a distribution voltage recloser, which is designed to trip if there is a fault downstream of this point in the distribution line, then reclose to check if that fault has cleared. If fault still present, it trips again and locks out, and wait for crew of linemen to check. Judging by the number of fins in the ceramic bushings, the voltage is less than 10 kv (10,000 volts).

The outrage is typical in rural areas where these would be installed, because to get a crew for every outage costs money.

These are installed to eliminate outages.

The outage time would've been far greater if done to substation reclosers which watch over much larger voltages and effect more homes.

This was also single phase, so they outage couldn't have been more than a 500 homes.

This happens all the time in rural areas when drunk rednecks decide to take target practice and watch the sparks.

Also this happens frequently in the ghettos when the nogs shoot into the air and hit transformers, causing oil leaks and outages.
>>
>>134956000
>Underground utilities
As someone in Telco these are the bane of my existence. Any Manhattan anons, say thank you every day your phone and Internet is working. One crushed conduit under the sidewalk could put you out up to a month because of all the fucking permits needed to fix it.
>>
>>134956831
>4hrs is pretty good response time for something like that.
bullshit.
The tranformer on the pole behind my house started burning like a candle. The fire dept. came and did nothing but stand around like statues.
Then the power co. truck showed up and they stood around like the fire "fighters" having a chit chat session for an hour.

Then the all left and three power co. trucks showed up and it took them a half hour to replace the transformer. Four hours total with a half hour of actual work by one man in a bucket truck.
>>
File: landoflove.jpg (82KB, 607x600px) Image search: [Google]
landoflove.jpg
82KB, 607x600px
>>134989611
My guess Colorado?
>>
>>134992633
One afternoon the local recloser stopped out and the bucket truck was pretty quick to show up. Power came back on for about half a minute and then there was a huge bang and it went back off. Folks started wandering outside to have a look and whatever it was on the pole was starting smoke gently.

I didn't stay to watch, but it took about 3 hours all told to get it swapped out and back up again. Takes time to manage, drag the old one off, truck a new one in, and follow all the safety regs I suppose. Kinda felt bad for the guy in the bucket, as it looked like he had just started having a bad day.
>>
>>134992412
live in the country.. can confirm. Although ours is usually knocked out due to weather. And 4 hours to get it turned back on is not unusual... if there is a lot of bad weather in the area, 8 or more hours is typical (our road only has 30 or so homes, so they restore power to higher populated areas first).

After the hurricanes in 2004, we didn't have power for a total of 13 days... in August.. in FL. needless to say it sucked balls.

We are looking into off the grid solar now because our power goes out so often. The dirt road coming into our little neighborhood is actually part of a state park, so there is a ton of trees and no plans to upgrade any infrastructure.
>>
>>134989530
you act like they arent the best spies in the world
>>
>>134958032
And Joe has a rifle who will come and take it from you.
>>
>>134994314
How is joe going to take the generator? Possibly a sufficiently clever joe might snag some of the remaining fuel after anon decides to conserve the rest, but that wouldn't require a rifle.
>>
>>134959705
Very expensive and unrealistic.
Solar panels would then need a massive battery bank to convert the DC to AC and usable voltage for a house.

Then there are maintenance and upkeep costs for solar panels and said battery bank.

Not financially feasible for every house
>>
>>134958900
>Just driving around to find the issue would be hours of work.
Recently I tried to contact the power co. about a street light not working.
Called them and got a recording. Press 2 for english, press 3 to pay your bill, press 4 for job openings.
I could not report an outage.

A month later, dropped wife off at the salon. Took dog for a walk in the area. Saw water bubbling out of the street, like a garden hose on low. Called water dept.
"whats your account #?" I just want to report a water line leak.
"whats your address?" I am not at home, I am walking my dog while wife gets her hair done.
"whats the name of the salon?" fuk you, I am just a concerned citizen
"we cant process a report without an account #" Well make one up. Either come and look at this intersection, or ignore it, I'm hanging up.

privately ran or government run bureaucracies are functionally retarded.
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.